ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson is cycling out

They are not cycling out though ,75% of their roster isfreshman and sophomores and they have goldilocks one more year.I don't believe that DJ Ugaleile or whatever his name is thats coming in, will be quite as good but best believe with that #1 recruiting class they just signed and future classes they will be a threat for the playoffs for the next 3-6 years at least until and if Mike Norvell can or will get FSU back near the top

Order has been restored! Thank you LSU, Clemson sucks! Clemson loses America wins.

Haha !! Must have had a few tonight . Sorry but they just signed one of the greatest recruiting classes of all time and they should be a HEAVY favorite to win it all next year . Don’t get me wrong , glad they fell but they are lightyears ahead of us . At this point I wouldn’t even consider it a rivalry. They will be a title contender for at least the next decade I hate to say .

Order has been restored! Thank you LSU, Clemson sucks! Clemson loses America wins.

At some point people need to realize clemson should have been like this all along...they have always played against less talent...as soon as dabo started selling his way they loaded up on talent...no one in their league will ever hang with that...should have been like this all along. They just need to embrace it...it is what it is. Its 5a against 2a in the conference. They go into the playoffs fully fresh and confident because of it.

Reactions: tigertomreed
As much as I am enjoying the LSU win over them, I don't think any reasonable college football fan, including reasonable Gamecocks, believe by any definition that they are "cycling out".
They got "burrowed", just like everyone else. The guy threw for 60 TDs this year.

1432238714704-zpsys7fobcr.jpg

It may have put a slight damper on their recruiting for the 2021. If they'd won another title on the heels of their insane 2020 class being signed, that would have been sick. They'll still very easily have a top 10 class, and probably top 5.

You could argue that maybe LSU's offense exposed Venable's D, but it took what many consider the greatest offense in the history of college football to expose him, so I'm not sure how much that's worth.

Reactions: ecrumpton
Just heard on the replay that Joe Burrow completed 90% of his passes when facing a down 3, 8 back defense like what Clemson was running in the 4th. Did Venables not get that memo?
Crazy! If the Bengals can give this guy some time and some decent WRs, it should be interesting. His deep throws are amazing.

We are cycling out. Your coach and AD can sit back, relax, and watch the implosion. No need to change anything in Columbia.
You'd love that, wouldn't you. It must be pretty sweet to be a clem tiger right now, even with the loss. Constantly in the discussion, playing for national titles, and your rival can barely scrape the floor. Get complacent. It will change eventually.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
They do lose a lot off of this team. I believe at this point with no early departures they lose 5 on defense and 5 on offense. Throw in the chances they lose the wr, rb and a corner that would be 13 of 22 starters.i know they're recruiting at a crazy level but that is a lot of good players to replace.

Last edited:
Reactions: griffgolf
You'd love that, wouldn't you. It must be pretty sweet to be a clem tiger right now, even with the loss. Constantly in the discussion, playing for national titles, and your rival can barely scrape the floor. Get complacent. It will change eventually.

That is the great thing about being a fan; I can be complacent. The team is not. You are correct; it will change. Hopefully it will change in the distant future and only for a short period of time. We just need to enjoy it until then.

It may have put a slight damper on their recruiting for the 2021. If they'd won another title on the heels of their insane 2020 class being signed, that would have been sick. They'll still very easily have a top 10 class, and probably top 5.

You could argue that maybe LSU's offense exposed Venable's D, but it took what many consider the greatest offense in the history of college football to expose him, so I'm not sure how much that's worth.
Really all it took was them to play someone with a pulse.. Ohio State had a million yards against them but did something stupid in the red zone on 4 different occasions.

Reactions: redrogers
Haha !! Must have had a few tonight . Sorry but they just signed one of the greatest recruiting classes of all time and they should be a HEAVY favorite to win it all next year . Don’t get me wrong , glad they fell but they are lightyears ahead of us . At this point I wouldn’t even consider it a rivalry. They will be a title contender for at least the next decade I hate to say .
Unless they jump ship and join a “Football Conference” :cool:

Unless they jump ship and join a “Football Conference” :cool:

I think best bet is to get rid of the dead wood in the ACC and SEC and make a new conference. Dump everybody but Clemson,FSU, Miami, and VaTech in the ACC. Dump everybody but Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, UF, and UT from the SEC. Take all the dumpees and make a women’s basketball conference.

Really all it took was them to play someone with a pulse.. Ohio State had a million yards against them but did something stupid in the red zone on 4 different occasions.
Not to mention they got robbed of a scoop and score that gave them the lead late in the game. Clemson is quite possibly the only team in the world that would have that call overturned in their favor.

LSU's offense had experienced 1 3 and out all season (against MSU when they were running the clock out at the end of the game). They had 2 3 and outs in the same game Monday night. Tater defense ran out of gas and the graduation of their D-line to the pros last year was evident. Look for mass improvement in that area next year unfortunately.

LSU's offense had experienced 1 3 and out all season (against MSU when they were running the clock out at the end of the game). They had 2 3 and outs in the same game Monday night. Tater defense ran out of gas and the graduation of their D-line to the pros last year was evident. Look for mass improvement in that area next year unfortunately.

So... Clemson's defense ran out of gas in the second quarter, which is what allowed LSU to gain 270 yards? LSU scored on drives of 70, 75, 87, and 95 yards in the first half.
Clemson's defense lives and dies by the blitz. They died by it Monday. Their DB's were unable to cover LSU's receivers one on one and LSU made them pay for attempting it.

So... Clemson's defense ran out of gas in the second quarter, which is what allowed LSU to gain 270 yards? LSU scored on drives of 70, 75, 87, and 95 yards in the first half.
Clemson's defense lives and dies by the blitz. They died by it Monday. Their DB's were unable to cover LSU's receivers one on one and LSU made them pay for attempting it.
Maybe I was not clear?
IMO, the tater D typically could cover most teams WRs even with their weak pass rush from their front 4 or 3.
However, the DBs could only cover for limited time LSU's WRs (who were great) DUE TO NO PASS RUSH FROM THE D-LINE. So yes, they had to blitz to get any rush and got burned against Burrow and LSU.
What I was saying is that I expect their pas rush to dramatically improve in 2020 and they will go back to a lot less blitzing and be very effective. This year, they had 1 guy (T.Davis) on the interior DL that will likely play on Sundays. Next year, that number will increase to 4 allowing a good rotation (they were without their #2 DT Pinckny in the LSU game due to injury) and a rush without blitzing (much like the 2018 team they had wit Wilkins, Bryant, Lawrence, and Ferrell).

Reactions: ShadowWeasel
Maybe I was not clear?
IMO, the tater D typically could cover most teams WRs even with their weak pass rush from their front 4 or 3.
However, the DBs could only cover for limited time LSU's WRs (who were great) DUE TO NO PASS RUSH FROM THE D-LINE. So yes, they had to blitz to get any rush and got burned against Burrow and LSU.
What I was saying is that I expect their pas rush to dramatically improve in 2020 and they will go back to a lot less blitzing and be very effective. This year, they had 1 guy (T.Davis) on the interior DL that will likely play on Sundays. Next year, that number will increase to 4 allowing a good rotation (they were without their #2 DT Pinckny in the LSU game due to injury) and a rush without blitzing (much like the 2018 team they had wit Wilkins, Bryant, Lawrence, and Ferrell).

Due to it's soft schedule, Clemson is able to line up and out athlete every team they play during the season. Their individual players are better than their opponents, which is why Clemson's defense looks so great on paper. But when faced with teams of equal athleticism Clemson's defense was exposed. They gave up almost 1150 yards of total offense in their two playoff games.

Due to it's soft schedule, Clemson is able to line up and out athlete every team they play during the season. Their individual players are better than their opponents, which is why Clemson's defense looks so great on paper. But when faced with teams of equal athleticism Clemson's defense was exposed. They gave up almost 1150 yards of total offense in their two playoff games.
There were clearly 3 teams better than anyone else in the country this year. They beat one of them, OSU, the #3 team in the country and played LSU as good as anyone (except All-barn's defense). If that's getting "exposed", then I'd take it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT