ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson professors planning walkout

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolcock2001

Oct 29, 2003

No masks, no class. Clemson professors plan walkout over lack of COVID precautions​

BY LYN RIDDLE
UPDATED AUGUST 16, 2021 11:09 AM

Some Clemson University professors are planning to walk out of their classrooms Wednesday to protest the school administration’s decision to not require masks in classrooms.

Kimberly Paul, an associate professor of genetics and chemistry, announced the protest on Facebook.

“The lack of a mask mandate is endangering the health and lives of all of us. University leadership is not listening to us. It’s time to take action,” she wrote.

Wednesday is the first day of classes. The protest was scheduled to last for eight hours on Bowman Field, a large field near the center of campus. Among the nearby buildings is Sikes Hall, where the university president’s office is located. It’s where ESPN sets up when College GameDay comes to town..

Pickens County, one of two counties in which Clemson is located, has a high incidence of COVID-19 cases, like all counties in South Carolina, and local schools went to virtual learning beginning this week.

On Monday morning, about 100 parents and children showed up at the Pickens County school district office to protest virtual schooling.

Clemson announced it would return to full-time face-to-face classes without a mask mandate. The S.C. General Assembly aimed to block mask mandates in public schools earlier this summer, though that effort has been thrown into some legal question. The University of South Carolina attempted to institute a mask mandate inside campus buildings but walked back the requirement in light of an opinion by the state Attorney General that said state lawmakers had intended to ban such mask mandates.

Clemson officials said, however, they encourage mask wearing.

Andrew Pyle, associate professor of communication at Clemson, tweeted, “Struck by this right now - if @ClemsonUniv is unwilling to burn some political capital over a major public health issue, is there anything we’ll burn political capital for? I mean, what’s the point of having a huge amount of clout in the state if we won’t use it... to save lives?”

He also replied to a tweet from Clemson President James Clements, who said he was looking forward to the new student convocation. His tweet included two photos of a large student assembly in which no masks were apparent.

Pyle said, “Just to be totally clear - this [type of] gathering, w/o masks - this will be why we have to go online in a week. I hope, desperately, that none of our students, faculty, or staff contract long COVID - or, heaven forbid - die from this preventable illness.

Pyle said he was specifically asking tenured professors to walk out because their jobs are secure.

“I know many lecturers and staff will feel vulnerable,” he tweeted.

The organizers of the walkout noted Pickens County School District’s decision to go to virtual learning due to a high number of positive tests among students and staff.

On Friday, after nine days of school, 163 Pickens County students had tested positive, one was hospitalized, and 634 students were in quarantine. Also as of Friday, 26 employees had tested positive, and four had been hospitalized in the last month. Thirty employees are quarantined.

All Pickens County schools are closed and all school activities are canceled through Friday. District officials said they would announce plans for next week by Thursday.

“We have learned in the first nine days that we are dealing with a very different challenge than last year,” the district said in a statement. “Currently, in our state and county, the coronavirus Delta variant is spreading rampantly.”

Does anyone know if Covid is transmissible from human to sheep? All the animals in Pickens county should be wearing masks. Strange things happen up In them thar hills.
It's funny you bring this up. Was up around Anderson/Pendleton on Saturday and passed the Clem's Son Sheep Farm (there really is one) on Lebanon Rd. I started laughing, my wife asked what about, and then I had to explain. See for yourself....:cool:

A classic showdown of folks practicing their "freedoms" versus folks defending their lives. Lets see how it plays out......

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

That's what Americans claimed for themselves even before the very first user's manual - the Articles of Confederation - were ratified. The US Constitution hadn't even been conceived yet.

Those three words keep popping up all the time.

US Citizens have the Constitutional right to do whatever they wish to do - SO LONG AS - whatever they wish to do does NOT infringe nor impede the very NEXT US Citizen from doing the EXACT SAME THING at the EXACT SAME TIME.

That's what Laws are for. But this isn't even a debate on Law. It's forcing Citizens to place their health in harm's way over political postering. We'd start learning things if any of these local and state mandates/non-mandates would ever go to court. In the meantime, we have to settle for these news stories.....

A classic showdown of folks practicing their "freedoms" versus folks defending their lives. Lets see how it plays out......

That's what Americans claimed for themselves even before the very first user's manual - the Articles of Confederation - were ratified. The US Constitution hadn't even been conceived yet.

US Citizens have the Constitutional right to do whatever they wish to do - SO LONG AS - whatever they wish to do does NOT infringe nor impede the very NEXT US Citizen from doing the EXACT SAME THING at the EXACT SAME TIME.

That's what Laws are for. But this isn't even a debate on Law. It's forcing Citizens to place their health in harm's way over political postering. We'd start learning things if any of these local and state mandates/non-mandates would ever go to court. In the meantime, we have to settle for these news stories.....
I am just surprised that this is even being debated at this point. This is insane.

I went to a Meet the Teacher thing with my son this morning in a school district that "strongly encourages masks". My wife was with me and we all walked in with our masks on. First person we saw was the principal - no mask. Walked down the halls to go to my son's classroom and saw probably 30 or so teachers on the way. I saw one teacher with a mask on. It was a little surprising given all the media coverage about how teachers feel. I was a little surprised that the school district didn't make them all wear masks.

Give the government the ability to mandate restricted activity freedoms due to “public health” and it will find ways to use “public health to restrict all freedoms when it wishes to do so.

Give the government the ability to mandate restricted activity freedoms due to “public health” and it will find ways to use “public health to restrict all freedoms when it wishes to do so.

Interesting. I did not expect you, of all people, to be pro-mask mandate here......

Believe he was stating just the opposite.

Hmm. Really? Because the Clemson University Administration is a form of government, after all. For that school, anyways. By forcing professors to have to work in an environment where their very health is placed in harm's way via administration/governmental "mandate" - or policy - they sure seem to be "restricting" those professors' "activity freedoms" to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.....

Reactions: redrogers
Hmm. Really? Because the Clemson University Administration is a form of government, after all. For that school, anyways. By forcing professors to have to work in an environment where their very health is placed in harm's way via administration/governmental "mandate" - or policy - they sure seem to be "restricting" those professors' "activity freedoms" to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.....

Are these professors over 70? Are they being denied access to the many therapies now available for COVID - including vaccines? We have to stop the fear mongering.

Are these professors over 70? Are they being denied access to the many therapies now available for COVID - including vaccines? We have to stop the fear mongering.

What does the age of the professors have to do with anything? Are people with vaccinations still getting covid-19? Is the "delta" variant more aggressive than the initial iteration? Are the student bodies in their classrooms composed mainly of vaccinated students, or non-vaccinated students?

Since when was people concerned about their own health mongers of fear?? I'm confused by your logic......

Reactions: ZFaircloth
What does the age of the professors have to do with anything? Are people with vaccinations still getting covid-19? Is the "delta" variant more aggressive than the initial iteration? Are the student bodies in their classrooms composed mainly of vaccinated students, or non-vaccinated students?

Since when was people concerned about their own health mongers of fear?? I'm confused by your logic......

Age has ALOT to do with it. Check the stats. Yes, people with vaxx are still getting COVID just like some people who receive the flu shot still get the flu.

Vaccination status means little to nothing. It doesn't work as a profilactic as they orgiinally claimed. It lessens symptoms and complications, if you're willing to take on the risk of the vaccine itself.

I could extrapolate the SC figures and show you that a professor under 70 has amount as much risk of dying of COVID as dying in a car crash, but that's something you can easily do as well. I doubt these professor are going to quit driving cars, right? Stop the fear mongering.

And finally, the mask arguement for COVID is silly at this point. MSNBC is recommending you now double or triple mask to get to 90% protection on top of vaccination. OK - now they can't breathe.

Last edited:

No masks, no class. Clemson professors plan walkout over lack of COVID precautions​

BY LYN RIDDLE

Some Clemson University professors are planning to walk out of their classrooms Wednesday to protest the school administration’s decision to not require masks in classrooms.

Kimberly Paul, an associate professor of genetics and chemistry, announced the protest on Facebook.

“The lack of a mask mandate is endangering the health and lives of all of us. University leadership is not listening to us. It’s time to take action,” she wrote.

Wednesday is the first day of classes. The protest was scheduled to last for eight hours on Bowman Field, a large field near the center of campus. Among the nearby buildings is Sikes Hall, where the university president’s office is located. It’s where ESPN sets up when College GameDay comes to town..

Pickens County, one of two counties in which Clemson is located, has a high incidence of COVID-19 cases, like all counties in South Carolina, and local schools went to virtual learning beginning this week.

On Monday morning, about 100 parents and children showed up at the Pickens County school district office to protest virtual schooling.

Clemson announced it would return to full-time face-to-face classes without a mask mandate. The S.C. General Assembly aimed to block mask mandates in public schools earlier this summer, though that effort has been thrown into some legal question. The University of South Carolina attempted to institute a mask mandate inside campus buildings but walked back the requirement in light of an opinion by the state Attorney General that said state lawmakers had intended to ban such mask mandates.

Andrew Pyle, associate professor of communication at Clemson, tweeted, “Struck by this right now - if @ClemsonUniv is unwilling to burn some political capital over a major public health issue, is there anything we’ll burn political capital for? I mean, what’s the point of having a huge amount of clout in the state if we won’t use it... to save lives?”

He also replied to a tweet from Clemson President James Clements, who said he was looking forward to the new student convocation. His tweet included two photos of a large student assembly in which no masks were apparent.

Pyle said, “Just to be totally clear - this [type of] gathering, w/o masks - this will be why we have to go online in a week. I hope, desperately, that none of our students, faculty, or staff contract long COVID - or, heaven forbid - die from this preventable illness.

Pyle said he was specifically asking tenured professors to walk out because their jobs are secure.

The organizers of the walkout noted Pickens County School District’s decision to go to virtual learning due to a high number of positive tests among students and staff.

On Friday, after nine days of school, 163 Pickens County students had tested positive, one was hospitalized, and 634 students were in quarantine. Also as of Friday, 26 employees had tested positive, and four had been hospitalized in the last month. Thirty employees are quarantined.

All Pickens County schools are closed and all school activities are canceled through Friday. District officials said they would announce plans for next week by Thursday.

“We have learned in the first nine days that we are dealing with a very different challenge than last year,” the district said in a statement. “Currently, in our state and county, the coronavirus Delta variant is spreading rampantly.”

Clemso delenda est.

It's funny you bring this up. Was up around Anderson/Pendleton on Saturday and passed the Clem's Son Sheep Farm (there really is one) on Lebanon Rd. I started laughing, my wife asked what about, and then I had to explain. See for yourself....:cool:

How many AG schools in the country have sheep. Probably all of them. Stupid comment.

I went to a Meet the Teacher thing with my son this morning in a school district that "strongly encourages masks". My wife was with me and we all walked in with our masks on. First person we saw was the principal - no mask. Walked down the halls to go to my son's classroom and saw probably 30 or so teachers on the way. I saw one teacher with a mask on. It was a little surprising given all the media coverage about how teachers feel. I was a little surprised that the school district didn't make them all wear masks.
The only mask that offers any protection is the K95 mask as long as fitted correctly and not touched every minute and wiggled around and changed every day. You have been lulled into a false sense of security if you think a cloth or those paper medical masks prevent any transmission. Kids breathing their own CO2 for 8 hours causes breathing problems. Be equipped with knowledge before judging some one.

Defending their lives? Yawn. The vac works, get the vax no defense necessary.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
The only mask that offers any protection is the K95 mask as long as fitted correctly and not touched every minute and wiggled around and changed every day. You have been lulled into a false sense of security if you think a cloth or those paper medical masks prevent any transmission. Kids breathing their own CO2 for 8 hours causes breathing problems. Be equipped with knowledge before judging some one.
Easy with your facts there. Facts, even from Biden admin itself, not welcome.

BY LYN RIDDLE

He's just looking for more time off at school expense.

Reactions: PC31 and Lakecock1
Age has ALOT to do with it. Check the stats. Yes, people with vaxx are still getting COVID just like some people who receive the flu shot still get the flu.

Vaccination status means little to nothing. It doesn't work as a profilactic as they orgiinally claimed. It lessens symptoms and complications, if you're willing to take on the risk of the vaccine itself.

I could extrapolate the SC figures and show you that a professor under 70 has amount as much risk of dying of COVID as dying in a car crash, but that's something you can easily do as well. I doubt these professor are going to quit driving cars, right? Stop the fear mongering.

And finally, the mask arguement for COVID is silly at this point. MSNBC is recommending you now double or triple mask to get to 90% protection on top of vaccination. OK - now they can't breathe.

In this context, age has little to do with anything. Please explain what "stats" I am supposed to "check", and how those stats support whatever it is that you think age has to do with this thread's context. A person has the right to take measures to protect their personal health and well-being, regardless if they are 38 yrs old or 74 yrs old. And people of both ages have died to covid.

Again, you are straying from the context of this thread. Even people with vaccinations are still getting covid afterwards. People with pre-existing co-morbidities who are vaccinated, are still dying to recent strains of covid due to the strain placed on those co-morbidities.

No one has EVER publicly labeled a vaccine of ANY KIND as a "prophylactic", and certainly the vaccines for covid have NEVER been described as such by any credible physician. Prophylactics are intended to prevent or ward off the spread or occurrence of disease or infection. A vaccine is designed to build antibodies in the human body to better fight against INFECTION - so that even though the host body becomes INFECTED (NOT a prophylactic), said infection is not as intense and is therefore not ultimately fatal.

In the case of viral infections that are known to result in fatalities, such vaccines mean a LOT more than "next to nothing" to those who have been vaccinated.

Again, your logic strains interpretation: are YOU suggesting that Clemson University are forcing their professors by policy to involve themselves in automobile accidents on a daily basis? Because that is based on YOUR logic here, entirely. With automobiles, there are COUNTLESS safety features and devices required BY LAW to be utilized by operators, as well as driving laws that are required BY LAW to be complied with with every minute someone is operating a motor vehicle on a public roadway. Because of the inherit dangers to public safety such operation of machines present.

In the act of operating motor vehicles, people like the professors have many options of safety to rely on, while at the same time, they can expect OTHER operators to be held to lawful compliance as well. That's NOT THE CASE with having to teach in classrooms full of un-vaccinated students who don't have to wear masks.

So now you say that I am mongering fear in this thread? Have I truly made you afraid? Just by debating your position makes you afraid? That is NOT my intention.

People have been suggesting at least to double-layer masks for more than a year now. This isn't news for many beyond you. When non-N95 masks were being promoted, and people started making their own custom cloth masks, tons of DIY tips came out to use two layers, and use different materials for each layer - like linen cotton for the outer layer, but microfiber or silk for the inner layer so that little fiber fuzzies would form inside the mask, and tickle your mouth or nose. They said that multiple varying materials provided better filtering means for moisture that may pass through the mask materials.

People have been using multiple-layer masks for months now - people were wearing two masks - a N95 under a cloth mask - for months now. They seem to be breathing OK....

In this context, age has little to do with anything. Please explain what "stats" I am supposed to "check", and how those stats support whatever it is that you think age has to do with this thread's context. A person has the right to take measures to protect their personal health and well-being, regardless if they are 38 yrs old or 74 yrs old. And people of both ages have died to covid.

Again, you are straying from the context of this thread. Even people with vaccinations are still getting covid afterwards. People with pre-existing co-morbidities who are vaccinated, are still dying to recent strains of covid due to the strain placed on those co-morbidities.

No one has EVER publicly labeled a vaccine of ANY KIND as a "prophylactic", and certainly the vaccines for covid have NEVER been described as such by any credible physician. Prophylactics are intended to prevent or ward off the spread or occurrence of disease or infection. A vaccine is designed to build antibodies in the human body to better fight against INFECTION - so that even though the host body becomes INFECTED (NOT a prophylactic), said infection is not as intense and is therefore not ultimately fatal.

In the case of viral infections that are known to result in fatalities, such vaccines mean a LOT more than "next to nothing" to those who have been vaccinated.

Again, your logic strains interpretation: are YOU suggesting that Clemson University are forcing their professors by policy to involve themselves in automobile accidents on a daily basis? Because that is based on YOUR logic here, entirely. With automobiles, there are COUNTLESS safety features and devices required BY LAW to be utilized by operators, as well as driving laws that are required BY LAW to be complied with with every minute someone is operating a motor vehicle on a public roadway. Because of the inherit dangers to public safety such operation of machines present.

In the act of operating motor vehicles, people like the professors have many options of safety to rely on, while at the same time, they can expect OTHER operators to be held to lawful compliance as well. That's NOT THE CASE with having to teach in classrooms full of un-vaccinated students who don't have to wear masks.

So now you say that I am mongering fear in this thread? Have I truly made you afraid? Just by debating your position makes you afraid? That is NOT my intention.

People have been suggesting at least to double-layer masks for more than a year now. This isn't news for many beyond you. When non-N95 masks were being promoted, and people started making their own custom cloth masks, tons of DIY tips came out to use two layers, and use different materials for each layer - like linen cotton for the outer layer, but microfiber or silk for the inner layer so that little fiber fuzzies would form inside the mask, and tickle your mouth or nose. They said that multiple varying materials provided better filtering means for moisture that may pass through the mask materials.

People have been using multiple-layer masks for months now - people were wearing two masks - a N95 under a cloth mask - for months now. They seem to be breathing OK....
Honest question. What happened to the flu?

Thank you doctor Bombay.

Reactions: Conway Gamecock

There are TWO "95" masks. The N95 mask is certified and approved by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) - that is where the "N" in "N95" comes from. The "95" comes from the requirement to filter a minimum of 95% of particles that are 0.3 microns or larger.

Then there are the KN95 masks that are made in China and are NOT NIOSH certified. They were given FDA emergency approval back in the spring of 2020 when N95 masks were becoming sparse for use by medical responders and providers.

KN95 and N95 masks are similar in specifications with minor differences. KN95 masks are designed better fit, while N95 masks have a pressure drop requirement for both inhaling and exhaling that means it's easier to breath through N95 masks than it is with KN95.

As with since the very beginning, with covid being an air-dispersed respiratory virus, the initial preventative measures still stand true blue: social distancing, washing hands constantly, avoid touching your face, self-isolating/quarantining if suspected of becoming infected. This was pre-vaccine. With the vaccine now readily available, vaccination is supreme, but all the above precautions still have value if you want to bypass testing the efficacy of your doses.

Since it became understood that those infected with covid can be asymptomatic, and you MUST go where there are others voiding the social distancing, then a cloth mask is effective at NOT preventing YOURSELF from getting infected, but in preventing YOURSELF from spreading the virus to others that may become infected by YOU. It's a TOTAL machination of CONSIDERATION for those around you.

As of July 6, 2021 the FDA has officially REVOKED Emergency Use Authorizations (EUA) for "non-NIOSH approved disposable filtering facepiece respirators". A N95/KN95 mask is called a "respirator".

Reactions: Post Quartermaster
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT