ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson series

Will Carolina deny Clemson a fifth consecutive win in the series in 2018?

• Yes - Carolina gets the W in Death Valley

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • No - Clemson runs it to 5

Votes: 242 87.4%

• Total voters

GandBinNC

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Jul 12, 2011
Raleigh, NC (from Columbia, SC)
Going into the 2018 season, Clemson has now won four in a row, and will, (being realistic here), be favorites to win a fifth in Death Valley this November. Checking back on the record book, Clemson has not won five in a row against Carolina since it took seven games from 1934 to 1940. This was a disastrous stretch in the rivalry, which saw Clemson blank Carolina four times, and outscore the Gamecocks 177-18.

Since that time, Clemson owns a handful of four game winning streaks (80-83, 88-91, 97-00, 2002-05, and the current streak, 2014-17), but no five game streaks in the post WW II era.

Way too early to talk predictions for that game, but its an interesting angle from a historical perspective. Link to the USC Football media guide ("Records" section) below...

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...pdf/2018-19/misc_non_event/18-fb-mg-sec-6.pdf

Reactions: legalsizecock
Can Dabo Lombardi match the one they call the "drunken quitter" with 5 wins in a row? Remains to be seen, but I would think so. I mean Dabo does have 70 5stars and Perry Noble on his side.

I'd like our chances more in Columbia. I'm still not sure what our team is going to look like. We know who Clemson is, we are the question mark. Major key pieces coming back from injury.

I kind of get this eerie feeling that we will pull off a major underdog upset over them tater turds in November. And this epic unexpected victory will propel our program to greater heights in the years to come. Think of it as a watershed moment. Again, this is just my own personal prediction. Nothing wrong with having faith in our team ... and proving everyone else wrong!

We over atcheived a little bit last year. We still have a ways to go to get to Clemson s level. We are just now starting to build depth. Need one more year to season it. Hope can catch them in an off week because this past year felt like we still shouldn't be on the same feild. Here is hoping I'm wrong.

Reactions: wentzel25
I say we beat them and Jawja and lose to Kentucky and Florida...10-2 season miss out on SECCG and sneak into the playoffs after beating top ranked Clemson.

Or more than likely we go 9-3 losing to Clemson, Jawja and Florida...with a Citrus Bowl appearance.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Not only are we severely outmanned, we have looked like a deer in the headlights against them the past two years. If the game were played tomorrow, I'd be shocked if we kept it within 2 scores.

A lot can happen between now and then though. But for now, we are going to need a mindsight change (and a lot more talent) before we can think about beating them again.

*edit- strange because we came out and played hard against Georgia and didn't look intimidated at all. Even on the road

Not only are we severely outmanned, we have looked like a deer in the headlights against them the past two years. If the game were played tomorrow, I'd be shocked if we kept it within 2 scores.

A lot can happen between now and then though. But for now, we are going to need a mindsight change (and a lot more talent) before we can think about beating them again.

*edit- strange because we came out and played hard against Georgia and didn't look intimidated at all. Even on the road
Clemson’s offense is designed to bring havoc to a bend don’t break defense. They don’t do a lot but they dress it up. No offense to JawJa but Clemson has better coordinators IMHO. Add to that an insane Dline. If Kirby would have just run it down our throats all day it would have been a different game for sure. But it had to be a statement game of oh hey Fromm can pass

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Going into the 2018 season, Clemson has now won four in a row, and will, (being realistic here), be favorites to win a fifth in Death Valley this November. Checking back on the record book, Clemson has not won five in a row against Carolina since it took seven games from 1934 to 1940. This was a disastrous stretch in the rivalry, which saw Clemson blank Carolina four times, and outscore the Gamecocks 177-18.

Since that time, Clemson owns a handful of four game winning streaks (80-83, 88-91, 97-00, 2002-05, and the current streak, 2014-17), but no five game streaks in the post WW II era.

Way too early to talk predictions for that game, but its an interesting angle from a historical perspective. Link to the USC Football media guide ("Records" section) below...

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...pdf/2018-19/misc_non_event/18-fb-mg-sec-6.pdf

Yeah, I too would not pick us to win that game right now, though I always pull for us too and though I hope that changes and though I always think it is possible. But, like the OP, I would love to be able to say that only the Gamecocks have pulled off a 5-game winning streak in the series since the 1930's.

I kind of get this eerie feeling that we will pull off a major underdog upset over them tater turds in November. And this epic unexpected victory will propel our program to greater heights in the years to come. Think of it as a watershed moment. Again, this is just my own personal prediction. Nothing wrong with having faith in our team ... and proving everyone else wrong!

Did that feeling come up while dreaming on your Serta perfect sleeper?

Whatever mental edge we had on them years back is long gone. They most certainly have it back. Plays like Renfro fooling our punt team TWICE, allowing the ball to enter the end zone are prime examples. We may have 2 starters who would start for them. And that’s debatable. If they don’t fall back a little we could be looking at 10 instead of 5.
And I hate it too!!!

As you pointed out, Clemson has had 5 four game win streaks since 1980, that is 20 out of 37yrs. The really only bright spot during that time was the 5 bomb. We never won back-to-back years during that stretch of time otherwise. I don't want to take away from the good teams we had but we haven't had any dominant stretches during my main years of interest in college football except for Spurrier days. We'll see if Champ can put some respect back into the rivalry, at least the recruiting seems to be headed in the right direction.

There’s a chance this year. I’m not sure I felt the same way this time last year.

And if the game starts with a flukey kickoff return in our favor or something similar, the pressure will fall to them and all of their anxious orange clad fans.

Just like a dumb dawg, they can't read. According to NCAA.com Clemson was 4th in Total Def and SOS. Both ranking higher than UGA.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/2018/team/22
Just like a dumb dawg, they can't read. According to NCAA.com Clemson was 4th in Total Def and SOS. Both ranking higher than UGA.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/2018/team/22
I can read... just read another site. Your insults say more about you.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total

Under the headline it states ...
“Consider the National Championship crushed”.
Yes I pray the SI jinx is in full force. Guess those defensive guys figured they could get another year of butt prodding instead of leaving early to work for less pay.

Reactions: wolverine 2
As you pointed out, Clemson has had 5 four game win streaks since 1980, that is 20 out of 37yrs. The really only bright spot during that time was the 5 bomb. We never won back-to-back years during that stretch of time otherwise. I don't want to take away from the good teams we had but we haven't had any dominant stretches during my main years of interest in college football except for Spurrier days. We'll see if Champ can put some respect back into the rivalry, at least the recruiting seems to be headed in the right direction.

I feel your pain. Interestingly enough, Carolina performed better in the rivalry in the Southern Conference and ACC days (ancient history). Carolina went 5-5 in the rivalry during the decades of the 1920's, 1940's, 1950's, and 1960's. (USC won three games during the decade of the 1930's). Two games below .500 for a span of half a century - pretty much dead even.

Since leaving the ACC in '71, Carolina has not won more than four games in a decade in this series - winning 4 games in the 1970's, 2 in the 1980's, 3 in the 1990's, 3 in the 2000's, and (so far), 4 in the 2010's.

Take that for what it's worth. I was surprised when I looked back on it. Outside of the 5 game stretch (which was glorious beyond comparison), it has been pretty dismal, with very few bright spots.

Reactions: Triton20x
I feel your pain. Interestingly enough, Carolina performed better in the rivalry in the Southern Conference and ACC days (ancient history). Carolina went 5-5 in the rivalry during the decades of the 1920's, 1940's, 1950's, and 1960's. (USC won three games during the decade of the 1930's). Two games below .500 for a span of half a century - pretty much dead even.

Since leaving the ACC in '71, Carolina has not won more than four games in a decade in this series - winning 4 games in the 1970's, 2 in the 1980's, 3 in the 1990's, 3 in the 2000's, and (so far), 4 in the 2010's.

Take that for what it's worth. I was surprised when I looked back on it. Outside of the 5 game stretch (which was glorious beyond comparison), it has been pretty dismal, with very few bright spots.

Shit.. how pathetic. Clem 32-16 in past 48 years?

Edit - math was off (had a couple drinks tonight). But still awful

Last edited:
Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Did that feeling come up while dreaming on your Serta perfect sleeper?

Whatever mental edge we had on them years back is long gone. They most certainly have it back. Plays like Renfro fooling our punt team TWICE, allowing the ball to enter the end zone are prime examples. We may have 2 starters who would start for them. And that’s debatable. If they don’t fall back a little we could be looking at 10 instead of 5.
And I hate it too!!!
Sad but true

Can Dabo Lombardi match the one they call the "drunken quitter" with 5 wins in a row? Remains to be seen, but I would think so. I mean Dabo does have 70 5stars and Perry Noble on his side.
We'll wear their sorry arses out in Dead Valley this year. Can feel it in the late summer breeze.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Rushing is 19, but total is still 8th, even if you use ESPN. If you just hit defense it says 4th but then you realize that is Total Tackles. As mentioned, ESPN stats page is terrible. NCAA is easier to navigate and gives you more parameters to choose.
Agreed. How can stats be so different. That's crazy.

If our starters remain healthy, possible but not probable...so against my heart I say they get "the thumb", but we'll give them "the FINGER" in 2019.

Here is a question. What happens if Bentley has a great year? Does he come back? I just wonder because next year your schedule toughens up compared to this year. I bring it up because I think your chances against us in 2019 hinge on him returning.

Here is a question. What happens if Bentley has a great year? Does he come back? I just wonder because next year your schedule toughens up compared to this year. I bring it up because I think your chances against us in 2019 hinge on him returning.
I do believe it’ll take more than one good year for him to seriously leave. It would take a Heisman like year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT