ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson's 2017 recruiting class...

It's known that this is not a good year in SC. OrTre is top notch and maybe two....three more. Next year is the much better class.

Hate to admit it but Clemson has become a national brand and have been recruiting Florida hard for years. They are going national now and won't need SC players
I grew up in NY and have lived in Colorado, SC, and Georgia. No one outside of South Carolina cares about Clemson or considers them an elite program. They got to the NC game last year. So have teams like West Virginia and Colorado in the past. They are a decent sized fish in a small pond.

I could not possibly care less about how many of our recruits are from South Carolina. What does that matter if you are taking a bunch of 3-stars? I want Muschamp to land the best possible players he can. If that talent resides in-state then great. If he is landing top recruits from N. Carolina and Georgia then great. It makes no difference to me. I just want to win! PERIOD!

Reactions: griffgolf
I grew up in NY and have lived in Colorado, SC, and Georgia. No one outside of South Carolina cares about Clemson or considers them an elite program. They got to the NC game last year. So have teams like West Virginia and Colorado in the past. They are a decent sized fish in a small pond.
clemsux always thinks (and wants everyone else to think), that they're more important than they actually are.

Reactions: uscfootfan
Most people outside of the South cannot even tell you what state Clemson is in. We just hear the propaganda from local news outlets and idiot Clemson fans. I hope Tech blows them off the field tonight. 2015 was a fluke for Clemson. They recruit well but their coaches are mediocre.

Most people outside of the South cannot even tell you what state Clemson is in. We just hear the propaganda from local news outlets and idiot Clemson fans. I hope Tech blows them off the field tonight. 2015 was a fluke for Clemson. They recruit well but their coaches are mediocre.
That's the thing. clemsux fans are so arrogant & delusional, they give the impression that they're actually some powerhouse football team. They were lucky last year and have won a few "big" games over the years, but they're traditionally mediocre.

One of the many interesting facts that clemsux doesn't like to admit is they've never beaten a #1 team. Sure, they're on the same level as Alabama. LMAO.

Reactions: gamecockrealist
I could not possibly care less about how many of our recruits are from South Carolina. What does that matter if you are taking a bunch of 3-stars? I want Muschamp to land the best possible players he can. If that talent resides in-state then great. If he is landing top recruits from N. Carolina and Georgia then great. It makes no difference to me. I just want to win! PERIOD!

I care. I mean, I don't even live in SC any longer, but it is clear to me that we have to recruit the state (and North Carolina) well.

First, Muschamp is widely known as one of the best recruiters out there and he says that SC and NC are a priority. I bet he knows what he's talking about.

Second, Ortre Smith, Shi Smith, and Will Register are all 4-star players. And we have 5 others committed from SC. From NC, we have 5 committed, with two of them 4-stars. Plus a few of those 3-stars are on the cusp of earning a 4th star. So I refute that we're just "taking a bunch of 3-stars." We're taking a bunch of ball players. Mind you, we were a 3-9 team that most predicted would be dead last in the SEC this year. So far it's a pretty good haul.

Third, to get those "best possible players" you have to build relationships with high school coaches. And the staff pretty much started from ground zero. You build relationships in part by recruiting their players. Better to take a 3-star from Conway than to take another 3-star from Atlanta. Why? Because Conway is going to have more 3, 4, and 5-star players in the future, and who should they call first when they have those players coming up? What camps are they going to send them to?

Fourth, how many more SC kids do we need to see successful at Louisville, or OK State, or Cincinnati or wherever before we realize that our "missed evals" aren't just mistakes, but bad habits?

Hate to admit it but Clemson has become a national brand and have been recruiting Florida hard for years. They are going national now and won't need SC players
I disagree. Clemson would bode well recruiting home talent. Clemson is simply riding the crest of recent success in the ACC and also has had avenues opened in south Florida caused by UF and the U being in a state of flux recently. McAlwain and Richt are shutting down much of that pipe line. As the ACC gets stronger and Dabo gets back to pre Watson teams, I see Clemson falling behind Carolina in recruiting. Boom and CO. will out recruit Dabo , bank on it.

I disagree. Clemson would bode well recruiting home talent. Clemson is simply riding the crest of recent success in the ACC and also has had avenues opened in south Florida caused by UF and the U being in a state of flux recently. McAlwain and Richt are shutting down much of that pipe line. As the ACC gets stronger and Dabo gets back to pre Watson teams, I see Clemson falling behind Carolina in recruiting. Boom and CO. will out recruit Dabo , bank on it.
It could work out this way. The work ethic and organization are there.

I agree. The tide of in-state recruiting could tip our way while Clemson enjoys their spot in the national limelight. Building a recruiting hedge around SC has to be helpful.

I care. I mean, I don't even live in SC any longer, but it is clear to me that we have to recruit the state (and North Carolina) well.

First, Muschamp is widely known as one of the best recruiters out there and he says that SC and NC are a priority. I bet he knows what he's talking about.

Second, Ortre Smith, Shi Smith, and Will Register are all 4-star players. And we have 5 others committed from SC. From NC, we have 5 committed, with two of them 4-stars. Plus a few of those 3-stars are on the cusp of earning a 4th star. So I refute that we're just "taking a bunch of 3-stars." We're taking a bunch of ball players. Mind you, we were a 3-9 team that most predicted would be dead last in the SEC this year. So far it's a pretty good haul.

Third, to get those "best possible players" you have to build relationships with high school coaches. And the staff pretty much started from ground zero. You build relationships in part by recruiting their players. Better to take a 3-star from Conway than to take another 3-star from Atlanta. Why? Because Conway is going to have more 3, 4, and 5-star players in the future, and who should they call first when they have those players coming up? What camps are they going to send them to?

Fourth, how many more SC kids do we need to see successful at Louisville, or OK State, or Cincinnati or wherever before we realize that our "missed evals" aren't just mistakes, but bad habits?

Year in and year out SC doesnt have the talent pool to take mostly SC kids. You have to look outside the state if you want to compete on a regular basis. I agree about taking a SC kid over a GA or NC kid if we are comparing apples to apples. No way Clemson or SC could stick to just our state and get the talent to compete with the rest of the country.

You act like thats a bad thing. Clemson was 47-20 before Watson with one bad season(6-7). Other than that it was 9,10,11,11 with wins over some really good teams. Yea we lost to SC but you guys had really good teams during that stretch. As for the second part. He might but he has his work cut out for him. Our staff and recruiting dept gets on these kids early and stays on them. Program perception helps a lot too. You can say "Clemson didnt beat anybody over those years" or "you have 9 wins built in to your schedule" or whatever garbage you can think up but the kids dont see that. All they see is Clemson winning and putting a ton of kids in the league.

Reactions: FJRTiger
Year in and year out SC doesnt have the talent pool to take mostly SC kids. You have to look outside the state if you want to compete on a regular basis. I agree about taking a SC kid over a GA or NC kid if we are comparing apples to apples. No way Clemson or SC could stick to just our state and get the talent to compete with the rest of the country.

I never said only recruit SC kids or even mostly SC kids. I said we have to recruit SC and NC well.

And SC & NC do have enough if we were forced to only recruit those states - 65 3-star and above players in 2017. Mix in GA and FL with a little from Virginia, Tennessee and maybe 10% from other states and you have a real plan.

"I guess there's a Denny's or something there." Jim Boeheim

"My assistant coach's wife banged my players and my assistant coach banged their children."
- Jim Boeheim

When I am traveling out of state, I always tell people that Klemzun is in NE Georgia, in Rabun County, along the Chatooga River. I also tell them this is where the movie Deliverance was filmed.

I firmly believe they did some shady stuff up there about 5 years ago. Now they don't have to. Deshaun and company recruit for them.

Regardless of clemsux and where they pull players from. One things fo sho. We are going to recruit much better and close that gap.

Reactions: gcobob
People say Clemson is a national brand, right there with Alabama, Ohio State, UGA etc. .Well, this just isn't so. Let Dabo fall below his very recent success and Clemson will fade as fast as they rose.

People say Clemson is a national brand, right there with Alabama, Ohio State, UGA etc. .Well, this just isn't so. Let Dabo fall below his very recent success and Clemson will fade as fast as they rose.
UPC is a national brand. Army used to be a national brand. You have to sustain.

Reactions: Brooster
As long as Dabo is there, they will recruit well. But Manafold is right. He will have to win routinely. But the evidence so far is that he is up to it. A lot of seasons in a row with 10+ wins. That gets the attention of high profile recruits.

Good Lord, she's wearing an Ohio State hoodie.

After this, she probably wound up living in South Carolina or Georgia with 900 million other Ohians who come down here and put that stupid Buckeye sticker all over everything.

Hell, her parents probably lived in Bluffton or Savannah something when she was on Jeopardy, with the rest of the transplants.

looks very impressive. But I did make one observation while looking it over. They currently have only one pledge from a SC boy. A great class in the making--for sure. But if you want to pull for the home team in the Palmetto state, you had best put your cheer behind the Gamecocks.
The instate player thing is overrated. Even though Smart has stressed in state recruiting, it's because of the wealth of talent in the state of the Georgia and the fact Richt was constantly letting half or over half of the Rivals 100 types get away. There are only four programs that can field a top ten team in the SEC with in state talent only. Georgia, Florida, Texas A &M and maybe LSU.

Why are people still responding to this? I have been ignoring hoping you others would as well. This thread is over a year old and was bumped by a Clemson fan. Quit playing along with it and let it die.

Reactions: rogue cock
Why are people still responding to this? I have been ignoring hoping you others would as well. This thread is over a year old and was bumped by a Clemson fan. Quit playing along with it and let it die.
LOL, I thought it was a mistake calling the 2018 class, 2017.

Good Lord, she's wearing an Ohio State hoodie.

After this, she probably wound up living in South Carolina or Georgia with 900 million other Ohians who come down here and put that stupid Buckeye sticker all over everything.

Hell, her parents probably lived in Bluffton or Savannah something when she was on Jeopardy, with the rest of the transplants.
I thought Ohio traded us Ryan Brewer for the rights to Hilton Head years ago

You act like thats a bad thing. Clemson was 47-20 before Watson with one bad season(6-7). Other than that it was 9,10,11,11 with wins over some really good teams. Yea we lost to SC but you guys had really good teams during that stretch. As for the second part. He might but he has his work cut out for him. Our staff and recruiting dept gets on these kids early and stays on them. Program perception helps a lot too. You can say "Clemson didnt beat anybody over those years" or "you have 9 wins built in to your schedule" or whatever garbage you can think up but the kids dont see that. All they see is Clemson winning and putting a ton of kids in the league.
Shill, other teams are winning and putting lots of kids in the league. Enjoy your ride while it lasts.

looks very impressive. But I did make one observation while looking it over. They currently have only one pledge from a SC boy. A great class in the making--for sure. But if you want to pull for the home team in the Palmetto state, you had best put your cheer behind the Gamecocks.
I'm not sure if I agree with this.
I hate Georgia but we have gotten some amazing athletes from GA to come to South Carolina.

If you carry that thought to baseball... It's always fun to see some local guys make the team but our success has been from getting the best players across the country.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT