ADVERTISEMENT

Clippers: What a choke job.

adcoop

Jan 10, 2004
Clippers talked big all year. They were going to take over L.A. and the league. They were a pack of dogs. Kawhi is the new king of the NBA. Then they choke away a 3-1 lead with double digit leads in Games 5 and 6. People keep trying to anoint these new guys and bury King James and then they turn into imposters. Biggest choke job in sports in a long time.

Reactions: Brace1
You know the best way to not care? Just don't open the thread. If you don't care about the NBA, that is fine by me. However, there are guys on this board that have enjoyed these playoffs. I am talking to them. BTW, when did the NBA start calling traveling? Many fans thought traveling was just fine when Robert Parish was running with the ball and Kevin McHale was switching his pivot foot all the time in the 80's.

I’m with you adcoop. I don’t understand why people get so upset about Americans using their platform for what they believe in. Blows my mind. I don’t have to agree but I’m still going to watch.

I'm confounded by the Clippers loss. Nuggets found momentum against the Jazz and it carried through against the Clippers. Miami Heat is doing the same. You could also say Milwaukee Bucks choked big time. It will be interesting to see how the Lakers do against the Nuggets and the Heat.

Clippers talked big all year. They were going to take over L.A. and the league. They were a pack of dogs. Kawhi is the new king of the NBA. Then they choke away a 3-1 lead with double digit leads in Games 5 and 6. People keep trying to anoint these new guys and bury King James and then they turn into imposters. Biggest choke job in sports in a long time.

To be fair to Kawhi, he has a ring and already carried a team from oblivion to a title. Now the rest of the crew just choked up in colossal fashion. I think the NBA wanted an all Los Angeles conference finals. Would’ve been great for ratings. I have watched Denver more since PJ joined the club. The Heat too because of Silva. Those two teams have some dogs. They are tough outs.

To be fair to Kawhi, he has a ring and already carried a team from oblivion to a title. Now the rest of the crew just choked up in colossal fashion. I think the NBA wanted an all Los Angeles conference finals. Would’ve been great for ratings. I have watched Denver more since PJ joined the club. The Heat too because of Silva. Those two teams have some dogs. They are tough outs.
I disagree on Kawhi, I think he's a great player, but overrated at the same time. He's being pushed to be the "face" of the league, but he's not. He's an excellent 2-way player with injury concerns. With load management he only played 57 out of 72 games and was still unable to give it all.

In San Antonio, he was not the guy, and was at best the 3rd option, sometimes the 4th. He did his thing in Toronto, but we are also learning that Toronto is a pretty good team without him, not the "bunch of scrubs that Kawhi carried to a title".

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
I disagree on Kawhi, I think he's a great player, but overrated at the same time. He's being pushed to be the "face" of the league, but he's not. He's an excellent 2-way player with injury concerns. With load management he only played 57 out of 72 games and was still unable to give it all.

In San Antonio, he was not the guy, and was at best the 3rd option, sometimes the 4th. He did his thing in Toronto, but we are also learning that Toronto is a pretty good team without him, not the "bunch of scrubs that Kawhi carried to a title".

I would never go as far as him being the face of the league. Really solid player. Makes his team better. As bad as the choke was, the Clippers are still better with him than without. Toronto was good but they got bounced a lot earlier without him. Chemistry takes time. No one wants to hear it but even Wade and LeBron couldn’t win a title their first year together

PG 13 saying they never internally thought of this a "must win a championship" kind of season really says it all. You HAVE to be hungry. They just weren't. The Nuggets have been more dangerous than anyone wanted to believe for two seasons (not counting the current one) and this was bound to happen. The Heat too are a vastly underrated team and Spoelstra is too... just because he happened to win a title with the original Big Three doesn't mean he isn't a great coach. Has Miami ever been irrelevant since then? Nope. Love talking NBA man, thanks for the thread.

I would never go as far as him being the face of the league. Really solid player. Makes his team better. As bad as the choke was, the Clippers are still better with him than without. Toronto was good but they got bounced a lot earlier without him. Chemistry takes time. No one wants to hear it but even Wade and LeBron couldn’t win a title their first year together
I understand the importance of chemistry, but this team, including Kawhi, flat choked. Kawhi, 1-11 in the fourth quarter with many of them being wide open shots? Paul "Playoff P" George shooting the ball off the backboard? Lou Williams missing wide open lay-ups? 89 points in a close-out game against a Denver team that isn't known for its' defense? This team kept waiting for Denver to roll over in Game 5 and 6. When Denver didn't give in, Clippers just folded like a worn-out card table. I am happy for P.J. though. Getting a heckuva playoff ride and his playoff share will be a good addition to what he has made this year.

PG 13 saying they never internally thought of this a "must win a championship" kind of season really says it all. You HAVE to be hungry. They just weren't.
LOL. I refuse to take seriously a guy who gives himself the nickname "Playoff P" but has only had one good playoff series (they still lost it) in his entire 10 year career. So talented, yet a joke at the same time.

I understand the importance of chemistry, but this team, including Kawhi, flat choked. Kawhi, 1-11 in the fourth quarter with many of them being wide open shots? Paul "Playoff P" George shooting the ball off the backboard? Lou Williams missing wide open lay-ups? 89 points in a close-out game against a Denver team that isn't known for its' defense? This team kept waiting for Denver to roll over in Game 5 and 6. When Denver didn't give in, Clippers just folded like a worn-out card table. I am happy for P.J. though. Getting a heckuva playoff ride and his playoff share will be a good addition to what he has made this year.

There’s no denying the choke. Being a Hawks fan (which means I don’t see my team in the playoffs very often) I loved Doc Rivers as a player. I personally think he’s a little over rated as a coach. He rode the big 3 to a title in Boston. There’s a lot of first round playoff exits. 12 of 20 years as a head coach. Take out the height of the Boston run and it would be higher than that. To be fair he took the blame in the media. Losing a 3-1 lead is a collaborative effort. Playoff P is a joke. He’s hardly seen the playoffs. Lou missing Rec league shots is unforgivable. Kawhi had a bad game in a clutch spot but I think he’s got plenty of big time moments where he stepped up. In my mind that’s the difference between his egg and some of the others. I wouldn’t label Kawhi’s as a choke as he’s come through many a time. Just a bad game at a bad time.

There’s no denying the choke. Being a Hawks fan (which means I don’t see my team in the playoffs very often) I loved Doc Rivers as a player. I personally think he’s a little over rated as a coach. He rode the big 3 to a title in Boston. There’s a lot of first round playoff exits. 12 of 20 years as a head coach. Take out the height of the Boston run and it would be higher than that. To be fair he took the blame in the media. Losing a 3-1 lead is a collaborative effort. Playoff P is a joke. He’s hardly seen the playoffs. Lou missing Rec league shots is unforgivable. Kawhi had a bad game in a clutch spot but I think he’s got plenty of big time moments where he stepped up. In my mind that’s the difference between his egg and some of the others. I wouldn’t label Kawhi’s as a choke as he’s come through many a time. Just a bad game at a bad time.
Kawhi has take his lumps on this loss too because of his passive-aggressive attacks of Lebron and the Lakers. Doing commercials with a King pendant talking about LA is his city when the Clippers have never won anything? The Clippers were solely focused on one team and their lack of professionalism was exposed in the playoffs. You are right with Doc. I love him as a coach, however, this is second go around with taking over L.A. and it hasn't happened yet after seven years. The Chris Paul/Lob City version of the Clippers were plenty talented, but tended to fold or have injuries in the playoffs. Goodness, the Clippers are like my Gamecocks. Accident waiting to happen.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Kawhi has take his lumps on this loss too because of his passive-aggressive attacks of Lebron and the Lakers. Do commercials with a King pendant talking about LA is his city when the Clippers have never won anything? The Clippers were solely focused on one team and their lack of professionalism was exposed in the playoffs. You are right with Doc. I love him as a coach, however, this is second go around with taking over L.A. and it hasn't happened yet after seven years. The Chris Paul/Lob City version of the Clippers were plenty talented, but tended to fold or have injuries in the playoffs. Goodness, the Clippers are like my Gamecocks. Accident waiting to happen.

Kawhi definitely deserves some heat. The Clippers mortgaged their future to make this run now. Did you see what they gave up to get “Playoff P.” Thunder are going to reload much like the Celtics did when they got all those picks from Brooklyn. Just a matter of time.

The Clippers are like the Mets in New York. Clearly the midget and desperate for attention.

Kawhi has take his lumps on this loss too because of his passive-aggressive attacks of Lebron and the Lakers. Doing commercials with a King pendant talking about LA is his city when the Clippers have never won anything? The Clippers were solely focused on one team and their lack of professionalism was exposed in the playoffs. You are right with Doc. I love him as a coach, however, this is second go around with taking over L.A. and it hasn't happened yet after seven years. The Chris Paul/Lob City version of the Clippers were plenty talented, but tended to fold or have injuries in the playoffs. Goodness, the Clippers are like my Gamecocks. Accident waiting to happen.
Yes. They were very mouthy and I believe Kawhi personally wanted the challenge of making the Clippers relevant. To do so, you have to take out the Lakers. He also he believed he ascended to or above Lebron's level. The Clippers seemed to be hurt that the Lakers were dismissive of them, saying it wasn't a rivalry and things like that.

Kawhi definitely deserves some heat. The Clippers mortgaged their future to make this run now. Did you see what they gave up to get “Playoff P.” Thunder are going to reload much like the Celtics did when they got all those picks from Brooklyn. Just a matter of time.

The Clippers are like the Mets in New York. Clearly the midget and desperate for attention.
That is what made Paul George's comments about this not being a championship or bust season comical. Clips give up a budding star guard in Gilgeous-Alexander, a solid veteran in Gallinari and five first round picks to advance one round further. The west will not get easier. Klay and Steph are coming back for the Warriors and they have the #2 pick in the draft. The Blazers are healthy now. The Nuggets are emerging. Finally, the Lakers gave just about everyone around Lebron and AD one year deals to add another star. This was the Clippers year to win and they blew it.

Looked to me like in the Mavs and Nuggets series they were more interested in being bullies than winning.Montrez Harrell and Marcus Morris in particular.

Don't forget the mouthiest mediocre player ever, Patrick Beverly
To be fair to Beverly, he was the only Clipper player that played with any heart in the late stages of Game 7. He made 2 or 3 excellent defensive plays, one a clean strip of Jamal Murray, in the fourth quarter that could have sparked the Clippers getting back in it. However, Leonard, George, or Lou Williams would just clank another wide open shot. Beverly did have a dirty play at the end when he undercut Murray. He could have hurt Murray's knee doing that. Deserves a fine for that nonsense.

I’m with you adcoop. I don’t understand why people get so upset about Americans using their platform for what they believe in. Blows my mind. I don’t have to agree but I’m still going to watch.
And yet here you are bashing people for commenting on what they believe in. See how that works? Shocking that people have difference of opinions

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
And yet here you are bashing people for commenting on what they believe in. See how that works? Shocking that people have difference of opinions
So saying that you don't understand someone's position is a bash now? My we are sensitive these days, yet some tend to get on others as being sensitive just for standing up for themselves.

Please explain how I bashed anyone. It is their right to fee upset and I see no problem in that, I just done understand it. But I will say I don’t have to.

I won't lie, I haven't been following the playoffs that closely (not political, just pro sports aren't much my thing, and basketball less than some others) but I'm here for the inevitable whining about the "political" messages.

I saw they had choked away certain victory with a 16 point lead, and that makes me smile. It's almost hard NOT to maintain the status quo. But give it to the Nuggets. They certainly didn't stop trying either, and it's as much a redemption story for them climbing out of a 3-1 hole as it is a choke job by the Clips.

Reactions: GreatestCock
I am just waiting on the outrageover the attempted assasination of the two cops sitting in their car bothering no one, by a lone shooter. Sure looked like they were being "hunted". Where have i heard that before? ALL lives matter even cops. We cant move forward until everyone is on equal levels. The idea that one groups lives matter more is racist.

Reactions: jonesz21
I am just waiting on the outrageover the attempted assasination of the two cops sitting in their car bothering no one, by a lone shooter. Sure looked like they were being "hunted". Where have i heard that before? ALL lives matter even cops. We cant move forward until everyone is on equal levels. The idea that one groups lives matter more is racist.
Oh I see. You care now and speak up because a situation has happened and it is clear that it might not be getting what you see as equal treatment for that situation. I wonder, were you this vocal about the countless examples of unequal treatment for many other groups over the last 50 years? Have you been pushing for equal treatment, or do you think that everything has been equal and all of the sudden its not?

What happened to the cops is deplorable and the culprits should face the harshest penalties allowed by law. But to imply that you now care about equal treatment when you haven't before is pretty awful.

Oh I see. You care now and speak up because a situation has happened and it is clear that it might not be getting what you see as equal treatment for that situation. I wonder, were you this vocal about the countless examples of unequal treatment for many other groups over the last 50 years? Have you been pushing for equal treatment, or do you think that everything has been equal and all of the sudden its not?

What happened to the cops is deplorable and the culprits should face the harshest penalties allowed by law. But to imply that you now care about equal treatment when you haven't before is pretty awful.
If you will read my posts I have stated from the beginning that the cops were wrong. No equivocation. They were wrong. Period. My statement once again if you didn’t get it is that ALL lives matter. What is wrongly done to one of us is done to all of us. No one group should be treated differently than any other. I just pointed out that wrong is being decried only when it fits a certain narrative. I hear no outcry for the children killed in Chicago every weekend. They are black. Did their lives matter or because the were not killed by police their lives didn’t matter? Do the lives of black men not matter because they were killed by other black men?
Why isn’t there greater concern over this? I see signs saying “stop killing us”. Where are the signs that say “stop killing each other”. They don’t fit the narrative.

Those of you talking NBA are the best posters on the board. Thank you.
We are trying. However, some people have so many agendas that you can't even post a positive thread about sports without someone spouting their political opinion. God help us if Lebron actually wins his 4th championship next month. It will be some conspiracy connected to the Coronavirus.

Yo Adcoop I’m with you . I’ve watched most of the playoffs and it’s been AWESOME !!! I mean this is kindest possible way ... if you’re not watching NBA because of your political views that’s great but JUST STFU !!! Nobody wants to hear it . I find that those people aren’t just content to not watch but they have to get on their political soapbox and blabber on to everyone they come in contact with . Just don’t watch . If some of us want to talk NBA then just ignore and move on . The games last night were phenomenal. I think this years playoffs have been outstanding .

LOL. I refuse to take seriously a guy who gives himself the nickname "Playoff P" but has only had one good playoff series (they still lost it) in his entire 10 year career. So talented, yet a joke at the same time.

Yea, I don't know what to think of George. He's a very nice player (one you'd love to have on your team), but I can't believe Leonard went all in on him. Nothing about George suggests that he's got that mentality where you know can carry the team if you don't have it one night. They aren't the "Big 2" because there's only one you can depend on in the clutch.

George kind of reminds me of Dwight Howard. A great teammate that will put up great numbers, and even though they've shown a flash in the playoffs once in their careers, you'll never win a championship with them if they're one of your two best players. You just can't depend on either in crunch time.

Reactions: GreatestCock
Yeah. Sad part is when another group uses their platform For a different view like Drew Brees - burtthurts do the same thing that blows your mind. It’s a two way street
Man, stop. The backlash with Brees lasted, what?, about a week? People have been going on about the National Anthem and boycotting sports for four years. No one is boycotting Drew Brees. His game Sunday had the highest rating of any television show on Fox in the last four years.

I'm glad the Clippers lost, but Klaw is undeniably a top 3-4 player in the league. The Murray kid is a certified baller in Denver, and Jokic is a phenomenal passer. I can't wait to watch the rest of the playoffs.

Man, stop. The backlash with Brees lasted, what?, about a week? People have been going on about the National Anthem and boycotting sports for four years. No one is boycotting Drew Brees. His game Sunday had the highest rating of any television show on Fox in the last four years.
That's because he was playing Brady in HIS first game as a Buc.

That loss was awful to say the least. It blows my mind how these teams keep shooting 3s when they can’t hit the side of a barn. The last 7 minutes of that game was ridiculous, and Doc Rivers should be ashamed of himself cause that was horrible coaching!

ADVERTISEMENT