ADVERTISEMENT

Clowney v. Watson

bdblack

Mar 29, 2002
Three short years ago all of my flag waving Clemson neighbors (I'm surrounded on all sides, lol), after experiencing the ultimate high five, were incensed and snarling about how Clowney would never be the number one pick in the 2014 draft. "He's not that talented", or "He's protecting himself from injury", "He's lazy" (played with multiple injuries his entire junior season) and especially "He'll be a major bust in the NFL". I think everyone now sees what a healthy Clowney can do in the NFL.

Now, fast forward three years ... and guess what? They're incensed again, and literally foaming at the mouth because Watson won't be the number one pick (maybe not even top 5 or 10) in the draft, even though he is superman in their eyes. I'm sure Jon Gruden is receiving threats from the Tiger fanatics because he chose Mahomes as the likely best NFL player, after interviewing and working out all of the top QB's in this sparse class. Mel Kiper, a very well-respected ESPN draft analyst recently explained why Watson didn't deserve the Heisman in a practical, logical and fact filled interview, none of which seemed to matter to my Clemson neighbors. Kiper is not the only national journalist who shares this opinion. Watson's resume is tilted by two NC games, in which he played magnificently. No argument there. However, during the regular season of 2016, with a cadre of the very best receivers in the entire country, Watson averaged 7.9 yds./attempt, not even in the top 30 nationally. He also threw 17 picks, outside the top 100 nationally. Now recall that Clemson played 6 regular season games decided by a TD or less, and all of these facts begin to add up. Yes, he won the Natty with a great game ... but so did Vince Young, remember? Clemson's offense, designed by Chad Morris, relies on flip passes, shotgun snaps exclusively, quick lateral throws and one side reads, with limited check-downs for the QB, ... not exactly great preparation for the NFL. I really hope Watson makes it in the NFL, and can land with a team that will allow him to sit and learn NFL football. However, if he washes out of the league after a couple of seasons, I won't be too surprised either. There is a long list of very successful HUNH college QB's who couldn't cut it in the NFL.

Reactions: Mr.Cocky83
They won a Natty with him (Watson)....I feel as though you are grasping at something that just doesn't really matter ultimately...I think there are so many examples on both sides of the ball of guys that over and under perform in the NFL and the list of resons for that is pretty endless and typically specific to the individual player.
I'd personally rather have a Natty and have had Clowney been a late first rounder....and I'm sure you would have too. I know that's not really your point but I could also see if Bentley led us to a Natty somehow and then was projected as a mid-1st rounder that there would be a lot of people on here crying foul over such a thing - I think that would happen anywhere.

They want their guy to do good. That is about it. None would trade his draft status for a national championship. The guy was not perfect, but for Clemson he will always walk on water. That is just the way it is. Like Walker at UGA, Tebow at UF and George Rogers at Carolina.

Besides, there were alot of people whispering about Clowney being a bust up until this year regardless of fandom

From my Clemson perspective...the only thing worse than Watson going as the 1st pick to Cleveland, would be Watson going as the 12th pick to Cleveland.
Totally agree! No question about Deshaun's athletic talent, leadership qualities, etc. Just don't throw him into a train-wreck of an offense and then hope for the best.

It will be determined on the field in the NFL and not here on the gossip and crying column. I expect Watson to be a high level player in the big league. He whipped us for sure several times. I may hate the result but have to admire the cause. Now we are on the upswing and I expect the results to be changing soon. We now have the best offensive backfield and receivers we have fielded in quite a while. If the rest of Gamecocks can get near the level of that group, we are in good shape.

Reactions: E-Cut_22
They want their guy to do good. That is about it. None would trade his draft status for a national championship. The guy was not perfect, but for Clemson he will always walk on water. That is just the way it is. Like Walker at UGA, Tebow at UF and George Rogers at Carolina.

Besides, there were alot of people whispering about Clowney being a bust up until this year regardless of fandom
I'm not betting against him. I'll say that much. They ought to be rooting for him to go to a team where he doesn't have to start right away.

Reactions: griffgolf

Don't get the comparison of Walker and Rogers to Tebow. Unlike the others, Tebow was indeed a bust in the pros while Walker and Rogers were great running backs everywhere they played.

I'm not sure what to think about Watson's future in the NFL. I absolutely hate what he did to us on the field and I don't really care for his cocky "look at me" playing style. But no one can deny that the kid is a fighter, leader, and winner. He probably doesn't have the ideal skillset for the NFL, but I certainly wouldn't bet against him.

Don't get the comparison of Walker and Rogers to Tebow. Unlike the others, Tebow was indeed a bust in the pros while Walker and Rogers were great running backs everywhere they played.

Neither Walker nor Rogers lived up to the expectation for different reasons though not saying they were not good players. The point is that at their universities they are larger than life far beyond whatever they could become later on. That legacy will always live on.

I see him possibly playing WITH Clowney, Watson may very well drop to #25 as the Texans need a QB..

I think that may be ideal for him. He would have a supporting team and would not have the same pressure. I do not see Watson turning around the Browns, but I could see him take the Texans deep into the playoffs.

I hear that the NFL analysts are questioning Watson's arm strength. If you think he threw lots of picks in college, wait until he goes up against professional defensive backs. They're a lot faster!

I would have never thought Russell Wilson would be a successful NFL QB. When he played us he struck me as average. I would never say that of Watson. If anyone can replicate Wilson it ought to be him.

He's a system QB. It worked at Clemson because he had superior talent all around him. Won't be that way in the NFL. DBs are very good, and he won't have all day to pass to wide open receivers.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if one of their new QBs looks almost as good as him next year. Their system and the play calling is optimal with all the talent they have recruited. If one of the new guys can learn it quickly, they could easily be back in the playoffs.

George Rogers did walk on water. Won the Heismann then won Rookie of the Year - at New Orleans, the team that had fans who wore bags over their heads they were so bad.

Unfortunately for him he was drafted by the Cleveland of its time and it was the Cocaine 80's. He made poor choices or he would have gone farther, but there is no greater ambassador for Gamecock football than Big George. That includes our former (recent) coach.

Last edited:
He's a system QB. It worked at Clemson because he had superior talent all around him. Won't be that way in the NFL. DBs are very good, and he won't have all day to pass to wide open receivers.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if one of their new QBs looks almost as good as him next year. Their system and the play calling is optimal with all the talent they have recruited. If one of the new guys can learn it quickly, they could easily be back in the playoffs.
I think Watson was a legitimately great quarterback, but you're right as well. Tajh Boyd was not a great quarterback and he put up great numbers.

He had superior talent all around him against Alabama, FSU, Auburn, Ohio State, and Oklahoma?

Reactions: griffgolf
They won a Natty with him (Watson)....I feel as though you are grasping at something that just doesn't really matter ultimately...I think there are so many examples on both sides of the ball of guys that over and under perform in the NFL and the list of resons for that is pretty endless and typically specific to the individual player.
I'd personally rather have a Natty and have had Clowney been a late first rounder....and I'm sure you would have too. I know that's not really your point but I could also see if Bentley led us to a Natty somehow and then was projected as a mid-1st rounder that there would be a lot of people on here crying foul over such a thing - I think that would happen anywhere.

What he said

From my Clemson perspective...the only thing worse than Watson going as the 1st pick to Cleveland, would be Watson going as the 12th pick to Cleveland.

Could not have said it better myself. Personally I think a great spot for Watson would be to the Saints at 11. Go sit a year or two behind Brees in a offense already suited for what he does well. All I want for our kids is for them to go to a team they can succeed with no matter if its the 1st pick or the 31st pick.

He had superior talent all around him against Alabama, FSU, Auburn, Ohio State, and Oklahoma?

When you get to the specifics where it mattered, yes they did. Clemson loads up on top tier receivers. Most of those teams have great Dline, but they didn't have the secondary to deal with 3 or 4, sometimes even 5 counting the TE, very good receivers running down field. Many times, the play calling was good enough that at least one guy was good for a quick 4 or 5 yards in the case that the DL got pressure. If not, Watson was able to use his legs to prevent big losses. If the OL could hold, there were usually at least 2 receivers that could get separation, especially in man coverage. Against a zone, you would see a lot of easy passes or a bunch of INTs, based on how good a decision Watson made. And then the system uses tempo to wear a defense down and prevent the defense from having time to adjust before the ball was snapped.

The same system made Tajh Boyd an ACC record breaker and made Cole Stoudt look like Tom Brady against the perennially overrated Sooners. That won't work in the NFL. I would be surprised if he isn't a bust. People that think he is the next Cam Newton need to go watch some film. Not even in the same zip code.

Reactions: IrmoRed
I see him possibly playing WITH Clowney, Watson may very well drop to #25 as the Texans need a QB..

Gosh knows that is true. Giving that much money to Osweiler was a mistake by the Houston GM worthy of termination. Both USC and Clemson fans should pull for Houston to get a decent QB and help two favorite sons make it to the Super Bowl - Clowney and Hopkins.

Three short years ago all of my flag waving Clemson neighbors (I'm surrounded on all sides, lol), after experiencing the ultimate high five, were incensed and snarling about how Clowney would never be the number one pick in the 2014 draft. "He's not that talented", or "He's protecting himself from injury", "He's lazy" (played with multiple injuries his entire junior season) and especially "He'll be a major bust in the NFL". I think everyone now sees what a healthy Clowney can do in the NFL.

Now, fast forward three years ... and guess what? They're incensed again, and literally foaming at the mouth because Watson won't be the number one pick (maybe not even top 5 or 10) in the draft, even though he is superman in their eyes. I'm sure Jon Gruden is receiving threats from the Tiger fanatics because he chose Mahomes as the likely best NFL player, after interviewing and working out all of the top QB's in this sparse class. Mel Kiper, a very well-respected ESPN draft analyst recently explained why Watson didn't deserve the Heisman in a practical, logical and fact filled interview, none of which seemed to matter to my Clemson neighbors. Kiper is not the only national journalist who shares this opinion. Watson's resume is tilted by two NC games, in which he played magnificently. No argument there. However, during the regular season of 2016, with a cadre of the very best receivers in the entire country, Watson averaged 7.9 yds./attempt, not even in the top 30 nationally. He also threw 17 picks, outside the top 100 nationally. Now recall that Clemson played 6 regular season games decided by a TD or less, and all of these facts begin to add up. Yes, he won the Natty with a great game ... but so did Vince Young, remember? Clemson's offense, designed by Chad Morris, relies on flip passes, shotgun snaps exclusively, quick lateral throws and one side reads, with limited check-downs for the QB, ... not exactly great preparation for the NFL. I really hope Watson makes it in the NFL, and can land with a team that will allow him to sit and learn NFL football. However, if he washes out of the league after a couple of seasons, I won't be too surprised either. There is a long list of very successful HUNH college QB's who couldn't cut it in

Now, fast forward three years ... and guess what? They're incensed again, and literally foaming at the mouth because Watson won't be the number one pick (maybe not even top 5 or 10) in the draft, even though he is superman in their eyes. I'm sure Jon Gruden is receiving threats from the Tiger fanatics because he chose Mahomes as the likely best NFL player, after interviewing and working out all of the top QB's in this sparse class. Mel Kiper, a very well-respected ESPN draft analyst recently explained why Watson didn't deserve the Heisman in a practical, logical and fact filled interview, none of which seemed to matter to my Clemson neighbors. Kiper is not the only national journalist who shares this opinion. Watson's resume is tilted by two NC games, in which he played magnificently. No argument there. However, during the regular season of 2016, with a cadre of the very best receivers in the entire country, Watson averaged 7.9 yds./attempt, not even in the top 30 nationally. He also threw 17 picks, outside the top 100 nationally. Now recall that Clemson played 6 regular season games decided by a TD or less, and all of these facts begin to add up. Yes, he won the Natty with a great game ... but so did Vince Young, remember? Clemson's offense, designed by Chad Morris, relies on flip passes, shotgun snaps exclusively, quick lateral throws and one side reads, with limited check-downs for the QB, ... not exactly great preparation for the NFL. I really hope Watson makes it in the NFL, and can land with a team that will allow him to sit and learn NFL football. However, if he washes out of the league after a couple of seasons, I won't be too surprised either. There is a long list of very successful HUNH college QB's who couldn't cut it in the NFL.

Mel Kiper? Well respected? He said Kijana Carter would be the next Bo Jackson. He compared Jamarcus Russell to John Elway. Here's a good one, he actually said Ryan Leaf's attitude would be an asset in the NFL. He said Mike Williams, the WR from Southern Cal, would be a hall of famer. Dude caught like 12 balls in the league. The best one would probably be when he said he'd retire if Jimmy Clausen wasn't a successful starter in the NFL...I'm still waiting on that resignation there Mel.

Now the Texans draft Carlos Watkins. DJ Reader is already on the roster. Crazy.

Has a decent skill set- good feet, decent arm, VERY cool under fire which I think is his best attribute ( kinda has an onfield presence similar to Prescott). He also seems like a well-grounded young man. In the right system, I believe he could make it at the next level and be more than serviceable. Look, I'm garnet all the way, but I like this kid. Hope he does well in The League. Also glad we're done having to face him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT