ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Frank named as UCONN candidate

you conveniently left out that they won the national championship 4 years ago....far from in bad shape... there are plenty of players willing to play at UCONN with the right coach
So they've been twice in five years, eh? How many times have we Danced over that period? It isn't enough for them, which is why they are taking corrective action. They will rebound. The great programs don't stay down because their leadership has the will to reestablish superiority. If we had won four national titles over the past 18 years, we wouldn't countenance poor performance for very long, either.

UCONN emphasizes basketball......SC emphasizes football...

UConn may offer Frank more than he is making in Columbia. But if he brought the same level of success to the Gamecocks that UConn will expect him to bring there, he will probably make more money here. UConn does not expect their next coach to take them to one NCAA appearance in 6 seasons. UConn will not expect their next coach to finish tied for 3rd in his best conference finish in 6 years. They expect to be regular dancers in the tournament as a low seed an a regular contender for a national title. They probably expect their guy to bring home a national title in the next 10 years.

Before you straw-man arguers say I'm trashing Frank Martin, I'm not. I'm merely pointing out that if UConn offers him more than he is making at Carolina, it's not because they expect him to duplicate for them the results he's gotten here. Higher expectations will come with that higher paycheck. If Frank were to bring the same level of success to Carolina, it's virtually certain we would put him among the highest paid coaches in college basketball. Coach K level? No. But top 10, certainly. Heck, according to USA Today, he's already top 20.

Reactions: king ward
Some on here are so over the top about everything. Do you do this in your every day life?

Reactions: 92Pony
Tanner will be tested bigtime.

i don't know if its that high pressure picking a bball coach at SC, while its important, its proven over the years if they make a mistake , really not that big of a fuss... and one final four appearance imo, wont change that

i don't know if its that high pressure picking a bball coach at SC, while its important, its proven over the years if they make a mistake , really not that big of a fuss... and one final four appearance imo, wont change that
The people who love and care about basketball really love and care about it. And for myself, I think we blew a lot of potential here, first, by leaving the ACC, and secondly, by firing Felton, who was not only an excellent coach, but who loved the university, and third, by aiming low after Odom. And what if Cremins had actually come here? I just believe that the University of South Carolina could be a legitimate top-20 program all the time.

The people who love and care about basketball really love and care about it. And for myself, I think we blew a lot of potential here, first, by leaving the ACC, and secondly, by firing Felton, who was not only an excellent coach, but who loved the university, and third, by aiming low after Odom. And what if Cremins had actually come here? I just believe that the University of South Carolina could be a legitimate top-20 program all the time.

Felton had issues, where did he coach after SC, no where.

5 yrs as a college coach , then never a HC again,

I’ve said this before and I don’t believe it is an overstatement - Tanner’s fate as AD is tied to Muschamp’s success exclusively. Everything else is nice to have and yes it causes some uncomfortable noise for Tanner if non-football sports have a down year. But his main job is to win in football. I know that is not popular to say, but I believe it’s true.

If Muschamp continues the steady improvement and wins consistently, Tanner will be golden. Oh, and we need to beat Clem, can’t forget that.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
I’ve said this before and I don’t believe it is an overstatement - Tanner’s fate as AD is tied to Muschamp’s success exclusively. Everything else is nice to have and yes it causes some uncomfortable noise for Tanner if non-football sports have a down year. But his main job is to win in football. I know that is not popular to say, but I believe it’s true.

If Muschamp continues the steady improvement and wins consistently, Tanner will be golden. Oh, and we need to beat Clem, can’t forget that.

correct, its football.... and if bball is good every once and awhile, thats icing on the cake

Frank Martin has yet to squash rumors he is a candidate for the UConn vacancy... If he doesn't do so soon Director Tanner should kick his his ass...
Boy I do not know how to broach this without just stepping in with both feet...I have a feeling ( nothing I can verify) both Frank and Dawn have had about enough of our AD not taking a stance with either programs issues !...I think he /us as a University has let both of these programs down in regards to standing up to the NCAA and the bullcrap...thanks

I think he was going to turn it, but I wouldn't have babied him. Dance in Six or Pick up Sticks. By the way, how well did the fellow do who replaced him?

when you dont go the the Dance since 1974 until last year, nobody did good

ADVERTISEMENT