ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Frank named as UCONN candidate

If Frank leaves I'm probably gonna hate every jackass on here who wished for it for quite a while. Some of you wouldn't know a good thing for Carolina when it was right in front of your face

It amazes me how much criticism he receives on here after leading our university to the final four for the first time ever.

There is a good chance that will never happen again for any Gamecock currently alive. I have much respect for Frank and the job he’s done.

I don't know if Frank is seriously looking at UConn but he deserves the recognition and I'm glad we have coaches that traditional power schools want. We have Michael Boynton waiting in the wings.

60456868.jpg

It amazes me how much criticism he receives on here after leading our university to the final four for the first time ever.

There is a good chance that will never happen again for any Gamecock currently alive. I have much respect for Frank and the job he’s done.

Your last statement is the harshest critique of CFM I've read here.. If you truly respected his coaching ability you would expect more final 4 runs sooner than later... If he would recruit better, we would get there regularly.. What hurts his recruiting are his manic sideline antics during games...

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
Frank Martin has yet to squash rumors he is a candidate for the UConn vacancy... If he doesn't do so soon Director Tanner should kick his his ass...
Boy I do not know how to broach this without just stepping in with both feet...I have a feeling ( nothing I can verify) both Frank and Dawn have had about enough of our AD not taking a stance with either programs issues !...I think he /us as a University has let both of these programs down in regards to standing up to the NCAA and the bullcrap...thanks

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Ray really disappointed me by not publicly standing up for Dawn more than he did. He let another school get away with trashing our coach, school and fans.

Moreover, they have been able to win four (4) NCAA men's championships since 1999. It is a plum basketball job.

Actually those 4 national titles are why UCONN is NOT a great job. They are never going to duplicate the success they had in the Big East in the American (not to mention, without cheating).

I'm not saying South Carolina is a better job. I'm simply stating the UCONN isn't an elite job.

Frank Martin has yet to squash rumors he is a candidate for the UConn vacancy... If he doesn't do so soon Director Tanner should kick his his ass...
Frank had a relationship with former coach Jim Calhoun. That's his only tie to UCONN. Frank has a 15 million dollar buyout at USC. He's going nowhere.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Probably frustrated.

If frustrated with anything, it ought to be all the dang nervous-Nellie flipping hand-wringers in here who think Frank is leaving every time a dang middle school or better opening comes up!!!

Frank ain't going no where!

Actually those 4 national titles are why UCONN is NOT a great job. They are never going to duplicate the success they had in the Big East in the American (not to mention, without cheating).

I'm not saying South Carolina is a better job. I'm simply stating the UCONN isn't an elite job.
Never say never. Kentucky was a national power when the SEC literally sucked in basketball as a whole - for decades. The PAC 8 - as it was - consisted of UCLA and seven midgets. The true basketball schools aren't limited by their conferences.

Reactions: Cumberlandsc
Never say never. Kentucky was a national power when the SEC literally sucked in basketball as a whole - for decades. The PAC 8 - as it was - consisted of UCLA and seven midgets. The true basketball schools aren't limited by their conferences.

I'm not sure how to process you comment. It seems like you're kind of proving my point. Kentucky and UCLA were in bad MAJOR conferences and were still able to win national titles. I don't know if UCONN can be in a second-tier conference and expect to compete for national championships on a regular basis. IMO, If UCONN fans and administration expect the next coach will return them to that level, then they'll be disappointed. I believe that's the reason bigger names aren't being attached to that job.

The people who love and care about basketball really love and care about it. And for myself, I think we blew a lot of potential here, first, by leaving the ACC, and secondly, by firing Felton, who was not only an excellent coach, but who loved the university, and third, by aiming low after Odom. And what if Cremins had actually come here? I just believe that the University of South Carolina could be a legitimate top-20 program all the time.

Read this post, people. It is very, very accurate.

Oh, and we need to beat Clem, can’t forget that.

!!!!!!!

Boy I do not know how to broach this without just stepping in with both feet...I have a feeling ( nothing I can verify) both Frank and Dawn have had about enough of our AD not taking a stance with either programs issues !...I think he /us as a University has let both of these programs down in regards to standing up to the NCAA and the bullcrap...thanks

Concur.

Reactions: wallycock
I'm not sure how to process you comment. It seems like you're kind of proving my point. Kentucky and UCLA were in bad MAJOR conferences and were still able to win national titles. I don't know if UCONN can be in a second-tier conference and expect to compete for national championships on a regular basis. IMO, If UCONN fans and administration expect the next coach will return them to that level, then they'll be disappointed. I believe that's the reason bigger names aren't being attached to that job.
If a school has a true basketball culture and commitment, it will not be impeded by conference. How strong is Gonzaga's conference? Does that bring it into focus for you?

Frank Martin has yet to squash rumors he is a candidate for the UConn vacancy.

WOW!!! Have a link to any of those rumors??? I just went to the UConn board and they must be talking at least 150 different names.

Oddly enough, the only name I didn't see at all was Frank Martin.

Thanks, in advance for that link!!!

Your last statement is the harshest critique of CFM I've read here.. If you truly respected his coaching ability you would expect more final 4 runs sooner than later... If he would recruit better, we would get there regularly.. What hurts his recruiting are his manic sideline antics during games...

You could work at CNN or ESPN the way you twist the truth. Saying we may never reach another final four is not a critique of Martin’s abilities, but rather a reality of how difficult that accomplishment is. Let me demonstrate:

Bill Self, Basketball Hall of Fame coach been at Kansas the last 15 years and two final fours. Kansas has a few advantages we don’t in hoops.

Frank McGuire went to 2 Final fours, none at South Carolina. Over 500 wins, Basketball Hall of Fame. Coached here a lot longer than Martin has too.

That guy Frank Martin coached against last year in the Final Four, Mark Few, has over 500 wins and “finally” got his team to a final four after 17 years at Gonzaga. He may never get there again

Lou Carnesecca, another 500 plus wins, another Basketball Hall of Famer “only” went to one Final Four. He could recruit more people in his own city than we have in our entire state.

Frank Martin should be our coach until:
A. He retires
B. He passes away
C. He leaves us for another program
D. Unless we fall off the way Paul Hewitt ruined Georgia Tech Basketball.

You could work at CNN or ESPN the way you twist the truth. Saying we may never reach another final four is not a critique of Martin’s abilities, but rather a reality of how difficult that accomplishment is. Let me demonstrate:

Bill Self, Basketball Hall of Fame coach been at Kansas the last 15 years and two final fours. Kansas has a few advantages we don’t in hoops.

Frank McGuire went to 2 Final fours, none at South Carolina. Over 500 wins, Basketball Hall of Fame. Coached here a lot longer than Martin has too.

That guy Frank Martin coached against last year in the Final Four, Mark Few, has over 500 wins and “finally” got his team to a final four after 17 years at Gonzaga. He may never get there again

Lou Carnesecca, another 500 plus wins, another Basketball Hall of Famer “only” went to one Final Four. He could recruit more people in his own city than we have in our entire state.

A. He retires
B. He passes away
Appearances in the Dance are a worthwhile key measure for a program. Bill Self dances plenty. Our program doesn't measure up - including during the current regime. And don't trot Darrin Horne in front of me.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Appearances in the Dance are a worthwhile key measure for a program. Bill Self dances plenty. Our program doesn't measure up - including during the current regime. And don't trot Darrin Horne in front of me.

Got there last year.
Got screwed out of it the year before that.
You have to acknowledge the dumpster fire he took over (without saying his name)
We have Felder OR Dozier I think we win enough games to get back this year.
I’ve got confidence we dance next season.

Frank had a relationship with former coach Jim Calhoun. That's his only tie to UCONN. Frank has a 15 million dollar buyout at USC. He's going nowhere.

Since I know many don't like clicking on The State website:

"Martin’s buyout, which had dropped to $800,000 after this season and was set to fall to $500,000 after each of the next two seasons, was increased to $4.8 million after the coming season and $3.5 million the following season. It would then drop to $1.5 million after 2018-19 and eventually get down to $500,000."

http://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...lina/usc-mens-basketball/article69446227.html

"Martin’s buyout, which had dropped to $800,000 after this season and was set to fall to $500,000 after each of the next two seasons, was increased to $4.8 million after the coming season and $3.5 million the following season. It would then drop to $1.5 million after 2018-19 and eventually get down to $500,000."

http://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...lina/usc-mens-basketball/article69446227.html
If you're going to link that, why not link the many articles discussing how Frank Martin denied all of these rumors yesterday afternoon as well?

What do you want him to say? Sure we are hammering out the details of a buyout tomorrow if the interview goes well.....

Of course there is denial. He is a candidate. The contract and the buyout makes it unlikely. Roy Williams at one time gave an interview at Kansas and someone asked him about leaving for North Carolina and he stated he didn’t “give a sh** about North Carolina”. You know how that turned out.

If you're going to link that, why not link the many articles discussing how Frank Martin denied all of these rumors yesterday afternoon as well?
Because I was curious over the debate about the actual amount of his buyout....and simply typed in "Frank Martin's buyout." Figured that was the easiest way to find out.

He denied being a candidate. I don't know whether that's true or not as there are other sources out of Connecticut saying he is. The ONLY thing that will assure me that he is not is if he states that he has removed his name from consideration at UConn, period.

The people who love and care about basketball really love and care about it. And for myself, I think we blew a lot of potential here, first, by leaving the ACC, and secondly, by firing Felton, who was not only an excellent coach, but who loved the university, and third, by aiming low after Odom. And what if Cremins had actually come here? I just believe that the University of South Carolina could be a legitimate top-20 program all the time.
Followed the GT program closely while Cremins was the head coach. Word was an assistant on his staff did a lot of the heavy lifting in recruiting and on court coaching.. Can't remember his name. Memory fuzzy. Seems like that assistant had left GT and the program recruiting was down after he left.So it would have depended on who Cremins brought with him. Getting this assistant to come would have been the icing on the cake.

He denied being a candidate. I don't know whether that's true or not as there are other sources out of Connecticut saying he is. The ONLY thing that will assure me that he is not is if he states that he has removed his name from consideration at UConn, period.

That's all a coach ever has to do... Why didn't Frank do that right away?

Shame on you.

Followed the GT program closely while Cremins was the head coach. Word was an assistant on his staff did a lot of the heavy lifting in recruiting and on court coaching.. Can't remember his name. Memory fuzzy. Seems like that assistant had left GT and the program recruiting was down after he left.So it would have depended on who Cremins brought with him. Getting this assistant to come would have been the icing on the cake.
Felton did a lot of heavy lifting while there with Cremins.

A. He retires
B. He passes away
You left off
E. The way Holbrook ruined gamecock baseball.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT