ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Frank named as UCONN candidate

If a school has a true basketball culture and commitment, it will not be impeded by conference. How strong is Gonzaga's conference? Does that bring it into focus for you?

Dan Hurley was named UCONN's coach. Does that bring it into focus for you?

I’ll take that bet. Every college coach worth a crap wants to go to a school where there sport is king. What’s king in Storrs, Connecticut?

It's the women's BBtall team.

Men's team is queen. Or Duke of Edinburgh, or something.

Calhoun was a nobody when he took the job, having coached for 15 years at Northeastern. That brings it into focus for me.

You really shouldn't have to hire another "nobody" after winning 4 national titles, but that's the harsh reality non-Power 5 schools face.

I'm finding it difficult to buy into the argument of Dan Hurley being a "nobody" after he just took his last to teams to the 2nd round in the tournament at Rhode Island no less.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
I'm finding it difficult to buy into the argument of Dan Hurley being a "nobody" after he just took his last to teams to the 2nd round in tournament at Rhode Island no less.

Yeah, he went from "Rhode Island no less" to UCONN. It's clearly a step up for him. He wasn't going to say "no." But UCONN wasn't getting Frank Martin, much less a coach from an elite program. They hired this year's Darrin Horn/Stan Heath whose team may a run in the tournament. He may turn out to be an outstanding coach for UCONN, but the discussion isn't about him so much as the status of UCONN's program right now.

I'm finding it difficult to buy into the argument of Dan Hurley being a "nobody" after he just took his last to teams to the 2nd round in tournament at Rhode Island no less.
In some of these people's minds, anyone not coach K, Roy Williams, or Calipari is a 'nobody". In Calhoun's case, his obscurity before going to UConn and taking them to the upper echelon of college ball would truly number him among the "nobodies".

In some of these people's minds, anyone not coach K, Roy Williams, or Calipari is a 'nobody". In Calhoun's case, his obscurity before going to UConn and taking them to the upper echelon of college ball would truly number him among the "nobodies".
\

Good lord, king. Talk out of both sides of your mouth much? You're the one who stated your surprise that UCONN didn't "aim higher" than Frank Martin. The discussion was about conference affiliation. UCONN went to the upper echelon of college ball when the Big East was one of the best conferences in America. They haven't finished above .500 the last two years in the AAC. They're never going to be what they once were. Every coach in America knows it, which is why they aimed low.

\

Good lord, king. Talk out of both sides of your mouth much? You're the one who stated your surprise that UCONN didn't "aim higher" than Frank Martin. The discussion was about conference affiliation. UCONN went to the upper echelon of college ball when the Big East was one of the best conferences in America. They haven't finished above .500 the last two years in the AAC. They're never going to be what they once were. Every coach in America knows it, which is why they aimed low.
UConn will rebound. All that the last two years exposed is that they didn't have the right man in place, which was evident from the beginning of his regime. And it might be that they did consider themselves to be aiming higher than Frank Martin. And time might prove they were correct. He's bound be a better recruiter.
Yeah, he went from "Rhode Island no less" to UCONN. It's clearly a step up for him. He wasn't going to say "no." But UCONN wasn't getting Frank Martin, much less a coach from an elite program. They hired this year's Darrin Horn/Stan Heath whose team may a run in the tournament. He may turn out to be an outstanding coach for UCONN, but the discussion isn't about him so much as the status of UCONN's program right now.
Add Shaka Smart to that list.

Last edited:
Frank Martin has yet to squash rumors he is a candidate for the UConn vacancy... If he doesn't do so soon Director Tanner should kick his his ass...
Not the first time he's been offered, nor will it be the last. Our fans seem to be the only ones that don't respect him as a coach. If he does decide to leave I'm sure he'll be successful wherever he goes. I hope like hell we can keep him because I don't see too many coaches lining up wanting to coach here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT