ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Martin's roundball men are very talented.

bdblack

Mar 29, 2002
The Carolina men are very talented .... individually, but offensively some of their thinking (or actually 'lack of thinking while running and sweating') is definitely head-scratching. Thought I was watching a middle school team tonight in the 2nd half with all of the ill-advised passes and dribbling turnovers. Martin's press breaking is frankly an abomination to the game. Most all zone presses will give us trouble per usual. Can't keep a lead because we don't think the game, we just react and try to counterpunch. Did a great job of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the last ten minutes as we decided to forego basic high school fundamentals of both offense and defense. On the bright side, we kept the game closer and more exciting than we should have for the LSU fans.

Reactions: BIRD CRAZY
The Carolina men are very talented .... individually, but offensively some of their thinking (or actually 'lack of thinking while running and sweating') is definitely head-scratching. Thought I was watching a middle school team tonight in the 2nd half with all of the ill-advised passes and dribbling turnovers. Martin's press breaking is frankly an abomination to the game. Most all zone presses will give us trouble per usual. Can't keep a lead because we don't think the game, we just react and try to counterpunch. Did a great job of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the last ten minutes as we decided to forego basic high school fundamentals of both offense and defense. On the bright side, we kept the game closer and more exciting than we should have for the LSU fans.

Back breaker was the breakaway there towards the end where we tried an across court dunk pass an blew it when all we had to do was play it safe with a normal pass and layup or at a minimum just come down with the pass and reset.
I think we were still up at that point.

Team was gassed as practice has been limited to 50%.Frink and McCreary didn’t make trip.We made one basket in last 8 minutes.I would like to have seen Hannibal at PG more.We had a real chance to win this game.

Sadly, I am having a hard time keeping my interest in Carolina sports. Until we get Tanner off to another gig, it will never be OK.

Team was gassed as practice has been limited to 50%.Frink and McCreary didn’t make trip.We made one basket in last 8 minutes.I would like to have seen Hannibal at PG more.We had a real chance to win this game.

I think Trae will be a stud if he can get some PT. I was pumped when he hit that 3 in the 1st. My momma remarried and moved to hartsville so I’d like to see him be a bright spot for our team. I know there’s been a couple times, last year more so than this year, that some of the plays he makes at the basket, he just looks freakish man.

Back breaker was the breakaway there towards the end where we tried an across court dunk pass an blew it when all we had to do was play it safe with a normal pass and layup or at a minimum just come down with the pass and reset.
I think we were still up at that point.

Yea no kidding. Especially after we had already scored on a couple alley oops to KB and I think 1-2 to Leveque also. They were pushing it way too hard. It was 2 on 1, no reason we shouldn’t have been able to score an reset, instead it lead to Watford cherry picking an killed the momentum. I know I’ve said it a couple times on the game thread, but I can’t atand watching Couisnard constantly throw up 3s and miss, he got benched for a little bit and it was like when he came back in, he was trying to make up for loss time, he had 2 air balls, one when the shot clock was down to 5 and Minaya saved him with a put back, and another with us down by 6 and Leveque put it back. No reason why you should be shooting 10x and only making 1 shot.

Reactions: Cybercock
They won't play enough games to even sniff a tournament unless three things happen. First, they find a way to sneak some games in. Second, they need to figure out how to control this virus since we one of the worst in the nation at doing so and third, they need to win...alot.

True. We’re not even on the radar. It’s one thing to be Ohio State football and have a tradition and not play games. You’ll get the benefit. We’re a program that has to win a lot and even in years where that has happened we have been passed over come tournament time.

Well the net rankings got updated and losing a close game by a top 25 (according to the net) team on the road had actually moved us up 3 spots. That's more NIT territory but winning a few games could move us the 20 or so spots for the big tournament. The big issue is how are they are judging net rankings this year.

The team is close to being good. Show some IQ and clean up careless turnovers, and they are a real threat. Very athletic and physical. Not super skilled on offense.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
I personally am a bigger fan of basketball than football. I realize I’m in the minority.
Same here, although I was always better at football and baseball. I think it comes from the McGuire-Roche years; I have always been thankful I was here for that. Still really into Carolina basketball but don’t give a crap about anyone else or today’s NBA.

I’m a huge Carolina football fan and haven’t missed a game in 25 years. But I don’t really watch other games. Basketball however I can pretty much watch any game- especially college. I am blown away at the skill of NBA players these days.

Same here, although I was always better at football and baseball. I think it comes from the McGuire-Roche years; I have always been thankful I was here for that. Still really into Carolina basketball but don’t give a crap about anyone else or today’s NBA.
Don’t even give a crap about the 3 players we have in the NBA right now? Okay. Sin and Silva don’t play much, but PJ is averaging 20 minutes a game and really playing well. In fact, I’m watching him right now. Going back and forth between the Saints-Bucs and PJ’s game.

Reactions: Lowcountry1
The team is close to being good. Show some IQ and clean up careless turnovers, and they are a real threat. Very athletic and physical. Not super skilled on offense.
This is the same problem I see. They play great in spurts but then they lapse into carelessness. They have got to be smarter when they have the upper hand.

Basketball has always been something to fill in the time between football and baseball...
Respectfully disagree, unless you're too young to remember 1966-1976, when Gamecock roundball was one of the best programs in the nation. Unfortunately, in true Gamecock fashion, we usually lost quickly in the postseason, even when we were preseason top five.

I am blown away at the skill of NBA players these days.
Different strokes I reckon. I played tennis tournaments for 20+ years and can no longer watch men’s tennis; too bang bang, the artistry and imagination is gone. The NBA today is pretty much the same for me; the “game” is gone, replaced by brute physical prowess. Just doesn’t appeal to me.

Reactions: Cybercock
Different strokes I reckon. I played tennis tournaments for 20+ years and can no longer watch men’s tennis; too bang bang, the artistry and imagination is gone. The NBA today is pretty much the same for me; the “game” is gone, replaced by brute physical prowess. Just doesn’t appeal to me.
It may look that way, but the ball handling, the shooting, the touch around the basket have all gone way up. The body control is something I marvel at. The way they absorb contact and still finish at the rim is astounding. People like to say the game is less physical now, and while it’s less violent, it is more physical. We have 7 footers playing point guard. I never thought I’d see that.

Reactions: SOSUSC and cadcock
I think you have not watched an NBA game closely since 1995. It's a flagrant foul now if you breathe on someone hard. The game is basically the Euro-league now with more athleticism. It's all a pace and space game now where ball-handling and shooting are the most prevalent thing in the games. Even LeBron has worked himself into a three-point shooter that can make around 40% of them.

We have 7 footers playing point guard. I never thought I’d see that.
And there ya go. I just don't consider that interesting.

My son used to create a QB on the NCAA Football video game that was 7'2" 325 lbs and ran a 4.4.

I know you can't fault the guys for being so big; it just all seems meaningless. Different strokes like I said; my son loves the NBA.

Reactions: Silver_Coconut
And there ya go. I just don't consider that interesting.

My son used to create a QB on the NCAA Football video game that was 7'2" 325 lbs and ran a 4.4.

I know you can't fault the guys for being so big; it just all seems meaningless. Different strokes like I said; my son loves the NBA.
I get your statement of different strokes. However, I don't understand your objection to being as good as you can be. My thinking is the goal is to be as complete a player as you can be in whatever sport you are playing. We are living in the information age. Kids are using that to get better in all areas of the game including conditioning. I just don't see that as a bad thing. Also, all the guys are not big. Steph Curry dominates at 6'3" and less than 190 lbs. Dame Lilliard dominates at 6'2". Isaiah Thomas (the second one) finished 3rd in the MVP voting about 3-4 years ago at 5'9". So, you can still be a marvelous player at any size if you develop skill.

Reactions: SOSUSC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT