ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Ray Tanner Do Everyone A Favor and Resign As AD That is What Is Best For The University of South Carolina.

Um, Ray Tanner gave Muschamp a contract extension after winning 7 games. Putting that aside, take a look at our history. That's better than average. You also, for obvious reasons, left out the other seasons.
I picked the first five....few coaches get more than that with that record. I understand why Spurrier did. I was simply replying to the poster who said "We didn't suck in football under....Spurrier." Actually, his first 5 years we did.

I picked the first five....few coaches get more than that with that record. I understand why Spurrier did. I was simply replying to the poster who said "We didn't suck in football under....Spurrier." Actually, his first 5 years we did.
If by sucking, you mean the most successful stretch of football in our history, yes, Spurrier's first five years sucked.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
If by sucking, you mean the most successful stretch of football in our history, yes, Spurrier's first five years sucked.
35-28 v, 33-26. Slightly more successful, but that speaks more to our poor history than what people would consider about those records from another coach.

35-28 v, 33-26. Slightly more successful, but that speaks more to our poor history than what people would consider about those records from another coach.
Correct. If it were Texas or Ohio State, it would've sucked, as you say. But it wasn't. It was literally the best stretch in our history.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
The comparison shouldn't be years 1-5 it should be years 4 and 5.

Spurrier 14-12
Muschamp 6-13

In year 5, with a defensive head coach in Muschamp, and the 14th highest paid assistant coach in the country with our DC TRob, we are ranked 106th in defense.

The trend was down, WAAAAAAY down. While Spurrier wasn't trending up in years 4 and 5, he did go to 2 bowl games and had us bowl eligible all 5 years of his tenure at that point.

To put it in perspective, Muschamp won the same amount of games in years 4 and 5 as Brad Scott did. And Brad Scott went 1-10 his 5th season.

Muschamp sucked. He sucked at South Carolina and he sucked at Florida.

The comparison shouldn't be years 1-5 it should be years 4 and 5.

Spurrier 14-12
Muschamp 6-13

In year 5, with a defensive head coach in Muschamp, and the 14th highest paid assistant coach in the country with our DC TRob, we are ranked 106th in defense.

The trend was down, WAAAAAAY down. While Spurrier wasn't trending up in years 4 and 5, he did go to 2 bowl games and had us bowl eligible all 5 years of his tenure at that point.

To put it in perspective, Muschamp won the same amount of games in years 4 and 5 as Brad Scott did. And Brad Scott went 1-10 his 5th season.

Muschamp sucked. He sucked at South Carolina and he sucked at Florida.
Who was comparing Spurrier to Muschamp? I never mentioned Muschamp, nor posted his record for any period of time. Muschamp needed to go....I don't have a problem with that. I had a problem with one statement that I referenced and that was in relation to what the expectations seem to be from those who say others are "settling for mediocrity."

Who was comparing Spurrier to Muschamp? I never mentioned Muschamp, nor posted his record for any period of time. Muschamp needed to go....I don't have a problem with that. I had a problem with one statement that I referenced and that was in relation to what the expectations seem to be from those who say others are "settling for mediocrity."
I know, rogue. Wasn't trying to pick on you. I've just been reading about this first 5 year comparison, even Spurrier was quoted about it today, and I think it's misleading.

Muschamp was fired because his 4th and 5th seasons were so bad. Even Holtz, who Spurrier brought up, won 10 games in his 4th and 5th seasons.

B.S.
You guys act like we have a great tradition in football. With the exception of a few years under Spurrier (one of the greatest college coaches of all time), USC football has been consistently bad or mediocre at best.

What has Ray done? Kept USC as one of less than 2 dozen athletics departments that operates in the black every year (non-Covid years). Continued to successfully upgrade all athletics department facilities for all sports. He kept Dawn Staley from going on interview to another power 5 school a few years back and locked her up long term.

Football has been crap from most of its history, yet the program still lives on. Muschamp wasn't the greatest hire (although it looked pretty good the first couple of years), but it's what we got left with after Kirby Smart ditched USC at the last minute (That's a fact.) And don't tell me that hiring Holbrook was a bad hire: it was absolutely the right hire at the time, but it just didn't work out. It was still the right hire to make at the time.

The better question is who do you think USC could have gotten instead of Muschamp at that time that fans would have accepted (Tom Herman wasn't coming here and he will likely get canned from Texas because he's not cutting it there, nor was Lincoln Riley.)

Football sucks right now, but that's nothing new. All the other sports have had success under Ray's watch and many of them are consistent winners. We no longer have our head coaches leaving to take other power 5 jobs because of Ray.

Ray's agent?

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
I didn't. Most of our fan base would not.
You obviously didn't listen to the after-games shows on the AM station that used to carry our games.....and were not a member of this site before the association with Rivals. Plenty of complaints.....the game has passed him by......he's held on to Hunt too long to recover from it.....etc, etc.

We did have consistent Bowl Appearances during Spurrier's Early Tenure.

We did have consistent Bowl Appearances during Spurrier's Early Tenure.
Yes, we did....4 out of 5 years, I believe. Some were good, some forgettable. Spurrier didn't do that bad, but fans were still upset....many expecting UF style results early on. Spurrier made some early poor hires which probably held him back....many fans were getting restless. It turned out great...but it didn't always look like it would.

B.S.
You guys act like we have a great tradition in football. With the exception of a few years under Spurrier (one of the greatest college coaches of all time), USC football has been consistently bad or mediocre at best.

What has Ray done? Kept USC as one of less than 2 dozen athletics departments that operates in the black every year (non-Covid years). Continued to successfully upgrade all athletics department facilities for all sports. He kept Dawn Staley from going on interview to another power 5 school a few years back and locked her up long term.

Football has been crap from most of its history, yet the program still lives on. Muschamp wasn't the greatest hire (although it looked pretty good the first couple of years), but it's what we got left with after Kirby Smart ditched USC at the last minute (That's a fact.) And don't tell me that hiring Holbrook was a bad hire: it was absolutely the right hire at the time, but it just didn't work out. It was still the right hire to make at the time.

The better question is who do you think USC could have gotten instead of Muschamp at that time that fans would have accepted (Tom Herman wasn't coming here and he will likely get canned from Texas because he's not cutting it there, nor was Lincoln Riley.)

Football sucks right now, but that's nothing new. All the other sports have had success under Ray's watch and many of them are consistent winners. We no longer have our head coaches leaving to take other power 5 jobs because of Ray.

Is that you Mrs. Tanner??

Reactions: SOSUSC
So far, there is not much to go on. If Tanner makes a great hire this time (assuming he learned something the first time) all is forgiven. If he makes another bone-headed hire then I'm probably going to lose interest in football. I'm certainly not going to give them money.

Bone-headed hires:

Les Miles
Charlie Strong
Chad Morris
Mark Richt

add butch jones and jim mcelwain. i’m still expecting jones gets the job. that’s just the way it is around here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT