ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Spurrier on Texas joining the SEC

FCB 2013 treble

Dec 14, 2016
"I can understand Texas jumping over," said Spurrier to Edgar Thompson of the Orlando Sentinel. "They get to play Texas A&M again. They get to … they can't win the Big 12 anyway. I think they've only won two in the last 30 years or so. What is it?"

It has been over a decade since Texas last won the Big 12. While its run under Mack Brown was great, it did not last as long as Spurrier's dominating tenure as Florida's head coach. Heck, he even made South Carolina relevant in the early 2010s. So he really does not think Texas leaving the Big 12 for the SEC will not make a world of difference since they do not win the Big 12 regularly as is.

As far as Oklahoma potentially leaving the Big 12 for the SEC, Spurrier has his doubts about the Sooners being able to contend for conference championships. It may be all about money, but Oklahoma is not winning six SEC championships in a row like it does these days in the Big 12. The Sooners can make the College Football Playoff in the SEC, but it has to be in an expanded field.

Spurrier does feel bad for the eight other teams in the Big 12, as he cites the conference really needs blue-bloods like Oklahoma and Texas to be relevant nationally. Otherwise, the Big 12 begins to look a bit too much like The American. Conference realignment is inevitable once again. The Head Ball Coach is along for the ride, as he is thoroughly enjoying his retirement from coaching.

The more Spurrier epic quotes we can get putting down other teams, the better off we all will be.

Head beer coach....
Steve-Spurrier-Dos-Equis.jpeg

I said a similar thing about TX the other day. UT football is nothing like it used to be. Probably 3rd-4th best in the state of TX. TAM is better. TX will be middle of the road most years in the SEC. Good for the SEC though because they are still a blue-blood in the state of TX - they just aren’t scarey good anymore.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
I said a similar thing about TX the other day. UT football is nothing like it used to be. Probably 3rd-4th best in the state of TX. TAM is better. TX will be middle of the road most years in the SEC. Good for the SEC though because they are still a blue-blood in the state of TX - they just aren’t scarey good anymore.
They are getting a leg up at exactly the time Saban is reaching his 70s.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque

I guess we will see. Texas kind of stomped Georgia and Missouri in fairly recent bowl games.

Reactions: german cock
"I can understand Texas jumping over," said Spurrier to Edgar Thompson of the Orlando Sentinel. "They get to play Texas A&M again. They get to … they can't win the Big 12 anyway. I think they've only won two in the last 30 years or so. What is it?"

It has been over a decade since Texas last won the Big 12. While its run under Mack Brown was great, it did not last as long as Spurrier's dominating tenure as Florida's head coach. Heck, he even made South Carolina relevant in the early 2010s. So he really does not think Texas leaving the Big 12 for the SEC will not make a world of difference since they do not win the Big 12 regularly as is.

As far as Oklahoma potentially leaving the Big 12 for the SEC, Spurrier has his doubts about the Sooners being able to contend for conference championships. It may be all about money, but Oklahoma is not winning six SEC championships in a row like it does these days in the Big 12. The Sooners can make the College Football Playoff in the SEC, but it has to be in an expanded field.

Spurrier does feel bad for the eight other teams in the Big 12, as he cites the conference really needs blue-bloods like Oklahoma and Texas to be relevant nationally. Otherwise, the Big 12 begins to look a bit too much like The American. Conference realignment is inevitable once again. The Head Ball Coach is along for the ride, as he is thoroughly enjoying his retirement from coaching.

The more Spurrier epic quotes we can get putting down other teams, the better off we all will be.

His schtick is tired.

Certainly it should have been, but at least be somewhat accurate.
Give Coach Spurrier a break. Not saying his mind is slipping, but he is getting up there in age. He made comments like this while at Duke, Florida (towards South Carolina) and South Carolina. I always like the back and fourth jabs between Coach Spurrier and Bobby Bowden.

It’s Alabama Jake.
How many years did they languish between the Bear and Stallings, and then again between Stallings and Saban? I mean the interregnums both times were not brief. Auburn, Georgia and Florida loved it. Alabama will fall into decline for some times within two years after Saban leaves and someone is going to step into the gap.

I guess we will see. Texas kind of stomped Georgia and Missouri in fairly recent bowl games.
True. But I put less stock in bowl games every year. Just don’t think a lot of the team really cares. And I bet it gets worse.

They are getting a leg up at exactly the time Saban is reaching his 70s.
You something occurred to me the other day. If you think about it. Bama having this revolving door for assistant coaches going to HC positions all over the place for the last decade?

It's really nothing more than having a butt-load of graduates from The Nick Saban School of Coaching in a Dominate Fashion, resume building at other programs awaiting the opening at Bama.

I'm not suggesting that when Saban retires his replacement is going to be another "Nick Saban". But, I bet that 90% of Nick Saban would still be a bad SOB as a coach.

I'm just saying that I'm not expecting Bama to fall off a cliff the day after Ole Nick retires.

You something occurred to me the other day. If you think about it. Bama having this revolving door for assistant coaches going to HC positions all over the place for the last decade?

It's really nothing more than having a butt-load of graduates from The Nick Saban School of Coaching in a Dominate Fashion, resume building at other programs awaiting the opening at Bama.

I'm not suggesting that when Saban retires his replacement is going to be another "Nick Saban". But, I bet that 90% of Nick Saban would still be a bad SOB as a coach.

I'm just saying that I'm not expecting Bama to fall off a cliff the day after Ole Nick retires.
The championship margin in any given year is pretty thin, even for undefeated teams. One bad half of football at the wrong time could scuttle everything. I hearken back to Bama's history coming off legendary coaching regimes. The people they hired all looked like they could win at Bama. For most of them, it was an illusion.

Texas will get it back on track somewhere along the line. Everything is in place. Massive fan base. Best facilities one can find. Plenty of exposure. And the money is never ending. Sooner, or later, they will land on a coach that puts it all together.

I dont think the press widely loves it. Just a few SEC outlets that spend much of their space trolling what people say.

A few SEC outlets? The US region know as The South ( US Census ) is the most populous US region. The SEC network goes well into other regions. The SEC network numbers are through the roof.

Bowl games are irrelevant for teams that aren't in the Championship race. So better teams commonly lose because they aren't motivated to be there.

Bowl games are the crowning game of the season for most teams. Only losers use an excuse like that.
I have seen us play 2 bowl games when it was obvious the team didn't want to be there. Didn't even use all of our allotted practice sessions which I always saw as the best part of bowl games, especially for the younger players. And yes, we lost them both.

I have seen us play 2 bowl games when it was obvious the team didn't want to be there. Didn't even use all of our allotted practice sessions which I always saw as the best part of bowl games, especially for the younger players. And yes, we lost them both.
Any smart coach knows how valuable those extra practices are.

I’m trying to think who the more successful graduates of Saban Academy are.

Smart is definitely the most successful, but after him, who?

Cristobal? Kiffen?

I think when Saban finally hangs it up Bama will still be successful for a few years, but whoever takes his place will be on the hot seat and under the magnifying glass from day one.

Look at the “legacy” programs struggling. FSU, Miami, Nebraska, SoCal. Every program looks for that magic guy to lead them to success, but that guy Is tough to find.

Even Dabo is dealing with cracks in his foundation right now.

What Saban has been able to build is pretty incredible. Most programs hire former players to be QA guys, Saban hires fired HBC’s as QA guys, then plugs them in when he needs a new Asst.

He has the luxury of having 4* and 5* guys who would be day 1 starters anywhere else waiting two or three years to get playing time, then being able to convince a guy who would be a second or third round pick to come back for a fourth or fifth year with the lure of more guaranteed money as a first round pick.

No one is in his his league right now. Dabo is close, and Smart is getting there. Other than those three? I don’t see anyone else remotely close.

Bowl games are irrelevant for teams that aren't in the Championship race. So better teams commonly lose because they aren't motivated to be there.

Well, I guess I will have to break the news to ESPN. Only 6 games matter.

Bowl games are the crowning game of the season for most teams. Only losers use an excuse like that.
Bowl games should never feature teams that don't have winning records - not ever. That fact that they sometimes do a testament to the excessive number of bowl games. It's ridiculous and no "excuses" validate them. Why were bowls created to begin with if not to feature the best teams?

ADVERTISEMENT