ADVERTISEMENT

Cocks Hoops- Three reasons we have a chance to be very good

USC9195

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2008
Elgin
There are at least three reasons why I think we have a chance to be very good this year. I’d love to hear @MAC1906 and some of our other hoops aces opinion.

First, for the first time in several years, we have the right compliment of players to defend the three ball effectively. Teams that are great at defending the three have a great on-ball defender, they have long guys that can close out, and they have a strong defensive presence at the rim. Reese is as good at defen the ball as anyone I can remember. Stevenson, Devin Carter, and KB are all solid close out defenders. Chico isn’t quite there yet, but he’s getting better every game, In the middle, Leveque has been great on the boards. Benson and Wilson are capable as well. UK, for example, uses the three to open up the drive-dish-dunk, so having that guy in the middle is key.

Second, in Devin Carter we have a player that is aggressive AND skillful enough to break down a defense, man or zone. We don’t have to settle for the long ball against zone When he’s in the game. He’s a problem for opposing teams when he’s on the court. We haven’t seen him on the court with Cousinard a ton, but when we have, Cousinard is also more aggressive.

Third, we have a lot of guys that can score the ball. In recent years, we did a lot of standing around waiting for one or two guys to do the work. We have six guys averaging 9 or more PP, and nine guys that have scored in double figures at least once. Make no mistake, the team is built around defense, but we have guys that can and will score the ball.

I think we have a chance to win a lot of games. What do you guys think?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News