ADVERTISEMENT

CofC game thread

Sometimes it's valuable to consider Coach K's record prior to Duke and why the heck did they hire him? Kingston will define himself completely, one way or the other, within three years.

Agree with you, sir. Tanner hired Kingston based on potential and something he saw in him which he believed would translate to a championship level coach.

Time will tell, as it always does.

Agree with you, sir. Tanner hired Kingston based on potential and something he saw in him which he believed would translate to a championship level coach.

Time will tell, as it always does.
Yes, and I would say it will be on the short side of what's reasonable. The expectations surrounding this program don't lend themselves to a long honeymoon, especially after one Tanner successor has already failed.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Yes, everyone who entertains hope of a best-case scenario coming to fruition is deluded if it doesn't. It's axiomatic.
Even if we swept the remainder of the season, we weren't going to get to 16th in RPI. And we weren't going undefeated for the remainder of the season. Too much to overcome.

You booed our team?!?! AWWW HELLLLLL NO!!!!!! Ain't no freaking damned excuse for that!!

superman-glare.gif

Even if we swept the remainder of the season, we weren't going to get to 16th in RPI. And we weren't going undefeated for the remainder of the season. Too much to overcome.
Probably, but it might have been done if we got the required help. For example, Vanderbilt's slide is the opposite of what we needed. We also didn't need to lose to another mid-major. But had we finished really strong, other teams might have slipped in a way that helped us. What the opposition does is a factor. Anyhow, it's over now. I will renounce "delusion" in favor of "lucidity".

As for Kingston: host in two or toodle-oo.

Probably, but it might have been done if we got the required help. For example, Vanderbilt's slide is the opposite of what we needed. We also didn't need to lose to another mid-major. But had we finished really strong, other teams might have slipped in a way that helped us. What the opposition does is a factor. Anyhow, it's over now. I will renounce "delusion" in favor of "lucidity".

You realize we lose 5 seniors in the starting lineup, and may lose Hopkins and Cortez to the draft. It took Ray 4yrs to host and 6 to get to Omaha. 2 years to host or you’re out? Wow!

You realize we lose 5 seniors in the starting lineup, and may lose Hopkins and Cortez to the draft. It took Ray 4yrs to host and 6 to get to Omaha. 2 years to host or you’re out? Wow!
Hopkins unable to stay healthy may increase his chance being here. Cortez, I would bet MLB will wait another year. With that said MLB will be able to fix Cortez on hitting to all fields vs dead pull hitting.

Hosting a regional is a modest benchmark of success. Supers in Three or leave USC.
Not arguing that hosting a regional is some monumental achievement, only that Kingston didn’t inherit a team that was loaded and full of post season experience. He has had to win with almost no returning experience on the mound and an anemic offense. Now that the offense is showing signs of being potent, he will lose a substantial amount and may lose almost the entire offense and defense. Give the man a chance.

Reactions: rogue cock
If he can't beat the guy we ran off to replace him with then he shouldn't get more than 2 years. His honeymoon is over.

Hopkins unable to stay healthy may increase his chance being here. Cortez, I would bet MLB will wait another year. With that said MLB will be able to fix Cortez on hitting to all fields vs dead pull hitting.
I agree with most of that but the mlb is full of players that can’t hit opposite field

Not arguing that hosting a regional is some monumental achievement, only that Kingston didn’t inherit a team that was loaded and full of post season experience. He has had to win with almost no returning experience on the mound and an anemic offense. Now that the offense is showing signs of being potent, he will lose a substantial amount and may lose almost the entire offense and defense. Give the man a chance.
I think he gets three years to make us relevant again. Making the playoffs this year and hosting next year are intermediate steps.

I think he gets three years to make us relevant again. Making the playoffs this year and hosting next year are intermediate steps.
I agree with the 3 yrs to make us relevant, and I would love for us to host a regional next year, but hosting next year is not a good make or break measuring stick. He had to build an entire pitching staff this year and teach a lineup how to score runs. Next year he will pretty much have to rebuild the defense and lineup. I’d say 3 to host is more conceivable

I agree with the 3 yrs to make us relevant, and I would love for us to host a regional next year, but hosting next year is not a good make or break measuring stick. He had to build an entire pitching staff this year and teach a lineup how to score runs. Next year he will pretty much have to rebuild the defense and lineup. I’d say 3 to host is more conceivable
Well, let's just say we'll all be better off if he coaches as if his job is on the line.

I was one who thought we still had a chance to host. No matter how anyone decided to interpret my comments I never claimed it was a big chance but a chance none the less. The RPI changes daily, we were playing as good a ball as anyone in the country, we still had some respectable teams left to play RPI wise, others we had played were doing pretty well and we had already shown you can make leaps and bounds in a very short period of time. Good Lord, I thought this was the Fighting Gamecocks Forum... not the well we're probably not good enough to make it happen so I'd rather be right than get my hopes up forum. As I said earlier in the thread to king ward, "it was fun while it lasted". Now can I still hope for a 4th seed in the SEC tournament? Or is that too lofty a goal too?

I was one who thought we still had a chance to host. No matter how anyone decided to interpret my comments I never claimed it was a big chance but a chance none the less. The RPI changes daily, we were playing as good a ball as anyone in the country, we still had some respectable teams left to play RPI wise, others we had played were doing pretty well and we had already shown you can make leaps and bounds in a very short period of time. Good Lord, I thought this was the Fighting Gamecocks Forum... not the well we're probably not good enough to make it happen so I'd rather be right than get my hopes up forum. As I said earlier in the thread to king ward, "it was fun while it lasted". Now can I still hope for a 4th seed in the SEC tournament? Or is that too lofty a goal too?
It's always easier to make big jumps when you are near the bottom than when you get toward the top. To get into the top 16 (where we would need to be), we would need a much larger percentage of those teams to falter...and that's just not reasonable to expect.

Coaching South Florida and then taking over the USC job is like coaching high school baseball and then getting the Yankees job. It's still baseball but the expectations are enormously bigger.
Really? His SF teams would have pounded us last season. The man's doing fine considering though.

You really see human nature when the biggest baseball threads of the year are our losses to PC and CofC. Teddy Heffner once said the busiest days he ever has are Monday morning after a USC football loss. Ain't as much to say about winning I guess

It's always easier to make big jumps when you are near the bottom than when you get toward the top. To get into the top 16 (where we would need to be), we would need a much larger percentage of those teams to falter...and that's just not reasonable to expect.
I hear ya. It's debatable how reasonable it was though. A tall task no doubt. On Tuesday we moved up one spot. Oddly enough only two teams moved up that day. Us and the taters. It stands to reason the only reason we moved up was that the taters won a rare Monday night game. So one team on our schedule winning one game caused us to move up. Now imagine if several teams we played continued winning. Moot point if we don't win though. It's reasonable to think IMO we would have gone from 39 to mid/upper 30s with a win last night putting us about 20 spots out. A&M and Mizzou have respectable numbers and if we get that 4th seed in the SEC, we'd play pretty good competition out the gate. Was 20 spots there? Maybe. Of course it's all woulda, shoulda, coulda now.

Really? His SF teams would have pounded us last season. The man's doing fine considering though.
Maybe his 2017 team would have but his others weren't that impressive. If you look at his winning percentage overall in his coaching career, our record is actually right in line with it. That's just not good enough here and record wise this is one of his better teams when you compare his time at USF. His Illinois State record was better and our teams those years would have destroyed him.

Any hope of hosting was only in certain people's deluded minds.
It's the same old ones over and over again,never happy,never satisfied crowd that salivates over any loss just so they can remind us of who they really are. They have absolutely NO CLUE. They'll be back on board as soon as we start winning again.

Maybe his 2017 team would have but his others weren't that impressive. If you look at his winning percentage overall in his coaching career, our record is actually right in line with it. That's just not good enough here and record wise this is one of his better teams when you compare his time at USF. His Illinois State record was better and our teams those years would have destroyed him.
Where have you been for the past two weeks my fellow Gamecock? It takes time to dig our way back from the dust pan of college baseball and who cares about his past record we just lost to a man we FIRED would you rather have Chad back? Last nights butt kicked pissed me off too but it's the big picture that matters. Just get me in the playoffs this year and then recruit.

It’s all relative. I was at the game- and left totally disappointed and actually bewildered at our performance last night. But, you know what- it’s baseball. I understand that it’s not football or basketball, in the respect that anybody can beat anybody badly on any given night in this respective sport. Should it have happened in such a dominating fashion? Of course not. I’m actually pissed that we didn’t put forth a better effort against our former coach. But, I also understand that if we keep winning our final conference series and the majority of our remaining games- we’re probably going to play in the post-season somewhere. Based on where we were just a few weeks ago, I can live with that- for now. Next season we need to show improvement across the board- and I believe we will.

It’s all relative. I was at the game- and left totally disappointed and actually bewildered at our performance last night. But, you know what- it’s baseball. I understand that it’s not football or basketball, in the respect that anybody can beat anybody badly on any given night in this respective sport. Should it have happened in such a dominating fashion? Of course not. I’m actually pissed that we didn’t put forth a better effort against our former coach. But, I also understand that if we keep winning our final conference series and the majority of our remaining games- we’re probably going to play in the post-season somewhere. Based on where we were just a few weeks ago, I can live with that- for now. Next season we need to show improvement across the board- and I believe we will.
Bingo. Anyone who knows pitching would have to know that kid could pitch for anyone. Still we acted like we had rather been at the dentist. We'll recover. Just being around Chad took the wind out of our sails it appeared to me.

Agree, the people I was sitting with all thought the same thing. No reason to throw at Tolbert in that situation. Seemed unintentional to us. They were both “jawing” at each other pretty good after that. The CoC pitcher was fiery.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT