ADVERTISEMENT

Colin Hill- The man to beat at QB?

Gamecock Lifer

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
Oct 8, 2008
I try not to post links to other sites on here but Morrell over on TBS posted an article referencing some reliable insider info about our proposed starters at QB. Most people seem to think it should be Ryan again or maybe even that we should throw Doty in as a true freshman... I have said all along I figured Hill would be the man to beat. Especially now with a shortened practice schedule looking to be on tap... He is the only QB with any experience in this system and, though injuries have derailed him nearly every year he got a shot- he has played well. He has “appeared in 18 games at Colorado State, making 11 starts. For his career, he has completed 263-of-433 passes for 3,323 yards with 23 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.“- so if we assume that the 11 starts are the bulk of his play time, and you can pretty much equate the other pieces of games he might have taken a few snaps in but did not start/play the majority of the snaps... To a similar number of snaps that he might have seen over the one additional regular season game and maybe a bowl game?... These totals are pretty close to one full season.

Would you take about a 61% completion percentage, with about 3,300 yards and a 23/11 TD/INT ratio from our starter in the coming season? That would rank him SECOND all time in passing yards in a season for us and 5th all time in TDs! Not a bad year...(*Obviously.. I get it.. “Different conference/team... This is not a guarantee he would replicate these numbers over a full season here, too many variables to assume An exact correlation, might be a shortened season”... I get all that, this is hypothetical...). My point is that I do not get why so many people seem to be against this idea if Hill being our starter in previous threads where it has been discussed. He is the most experienced QB we have, has shown he can play at the D level, and play pretty well, only guy with experience under Bobo... What’s not to like about this plan?
It also gives Hilinsky a year to learn the scheme behind someone who knows it well, gives Doty a year to RS and prepare for the college game... I see nothing but good coming from this. Obviously, if one of the other guys is just Light years ahead of him, play THAT GUY! I just don’t know if they are/will be. For comparison- in 11 games last year Ruan posted about 2300 yards, 58% comp% and an 11/5 TD/INT ratio.

Thoughts? Other points I have not considered? ANYthing FB related at all?

Reactions: SCexpat38
I read the same article and was surprised. Urich is back at QB too. My guess is it is between RH and Hill and they might end up splitting time. Neither is very mobile (especially not Hill with 3 knee surgeries) so the offensive line has to be better. We have a new LT too in Jazston Turnetine. He's a 6'7" 330 lb transfer from Hutchinson CC. They had a good season last year so there's reason to be optimistic.

But I'm not getting my hopes up until I've seen a game played.

Reactions: uscalumni
I try not to post links to other sites on here but Morrell over on TBS posted an article referencing some reliable insider info about our proposed starters at QB. Most people seem to think it should be Ryan again or maybe even that we should throw Doty in as a true freshman... I have said all along I figured Hill would be the man to beat. Especially now with a shortened practice schedule looking to be on tap... He is the only QB with any experience in this system and, though injuries have derailed him nearly every year he got a shot- he has played well. He has “appeared in 18 games at Colorado State, making 11 starts. For his career, he has completed 263-of-433 passes for 3,323 yards with 23 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.“- so if we assume that the 11 starts are the bulk of his play time, and you can pretty much equate the other pieces of games he might have taken a few snaps in but did not start/play the majority of the snaps... To a similar number of snaps that he might have seen over the one additional regular season game and maybe a bowl game?... These totals are pretty close to one full season.

Would you take about a 61% completion percentage, with about 3,300 yards and a 23/11 TD/INT ratio from our starter in the coming season? That would rank him SECOND all time in passing yards in a season for us and 5th all time in TDs! Not a bad year...(*Obviously.. I get it.. “Different conference/team... This is not a guarantee he would replicate these numbers over a full season here, too many variables to assume An exact correlation, might be a shortened season”... I get all that, this is hypothetical...). My point is that I do not get why so many people seem to be against this idea if Hill being our starter in previous threads where it has been discussed. He is the most experienced QB we have, has shown he can play at the D level, and play pretty well, only guy with experience under Bobo... What’s not to like about this plan?
It also gives Hilinsky a year to learn the scheme behind someone who knows it well, gives Doty a year to RS and prepare for the college game... I see nothing but good coming from this. Obviously, if one of the other guys is just Light years ahead of him, play THAT GUY! I just don’t know if they are/will be. For comparison- in 11 games last year Ruan posted about 2300 yards, 58% comp% and an 11/5 TD/INT ratio.

He had to have better receivers at CSU

Reactions: 92Pony
He had to have better receivers at CSU
We had ONE good WR for part of last year. I do not pretend to know much about previous CSU receivers but I doubt many were better than BE! After that, yeah we had NOTHING last year! LOL

Reactions: jonesz21
I don't think Muschamp's neighbors across the lake would like that too much.
Well... Tough. I mean if Ryan is the best we got... Play him. I have not seen him show us anything that makes him irreplaceable. It would be great if he came out heathy, grabbed that starting role from the first practice on and turned out to be the best QB we ever had! I... Just don’t expect that.

Hill is a QB that is very experienced in Bobo's offense - the most experienced QB we got in that way. I'm sure he's got talent and he could win the starting job, but after all he did go to Colorado State to play CFB.

There have been MANY situations all over the nation at all levels of college FB where more talented QBs come in and steal away starts from more veteran QBs with seniority. Due to talent levels between the players, this might not happen here - sort of the inverse of that.

Hilinski was a high 4* Elite 11 QB who was an unexpected season-long starter last season as a true freshman who got beat up along the way. Still, he's not as beat up as Hill is, with THREE ACL injuries to his left knee.

So the question will be - will Hill's experience in the offense win out over Hilinski's superior talent?

Reactions: OldWiseCock
It would be very Carolina to land the consensus number 2 pro style QB in the nation, only to have him never live up to the hype and slide down the depth chart behind a transfer from the Mountain West Conference.

Gamecock Lifer, I’m glad to see a football post! We all know that Hilinski was put in a bad spot last season, and I think he did as well as anyone would have expected. Especially given the fact that he was injured for a good bit of the season. I think Hill brings a lot of experience to the team, and if he can push all the qbs mentally and physically, it only helps them and the team. I watched the video of Arcega-Whiteside, and wondered how good he would have been here. I’m pretty sure he and Deebo were in the same class. Would have been nice to see both of those guys on the same team.

Reactions: SCexpat38
What is Hills shelf life? With all his injuries and now the Covid epidemic , I would think he might be headed to the grad assistant or some other transitional role.
Not sure about his shelf life. You may be right; he’s not likely to be highly sought after when his college career is over. My hope is if he’s the best guy, he starts. If he’s second or third best, then he can be a serviceable backup if/when needed.

Colin Hill's Game Logs:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/colin-hill-1/gamelog/

Outside of two 4 TD games he had lighting up what I'm guessing seems to be inferior opponents his TD/INT ratio gets awfully close to 1:1. Interesting to take a look at nonetheless.

I'm in the camp of the best should play but if it is neck and neck I'm going with RH and i think CWM will too

If Hill is the man to beat, USC is in a world of hurt.

Doubt it. Hill is a senior so just because hill possibly wins the job dues not mean Hillinski bolts that Easy. Give the guy some credit

Just the reality of the world in which
If Hill is the man to beat, USC is in a world of hurt.

Yep. I’ve seen his highlights. He’s serviceable.

I don’t get why folks are drooling over him knowing Bobo’s offense. That’s the only selling point I ever see. QBs come on campus all the time and pick up offenses between January and September. If THAT’S the one thing that sets him apart from the other QBs, then yes, we are screwed.

Reactions: Expro19
Doubt it. Hill is a senior so just because hill possibly wins the job dues not mean Hillinski bolts that Easy. Give the guy some credit
Yeah. I think he will fight to win the job back. I can see Hill starting the first game just so RH can watch and learn a little, but RH is going to play.

The question in my mind is whether we need a more mobile QB. Our OL has not been that good and now we have a new LT.

Typical summer talk at USC. The backup is always the guy that is going to lead the team to elite status. Bentley was the answer. Scar was the answer. Now we have another. Muschamps head coaching career will sink, or swim, with Hilinski. If he wasnt all but guaranteed the job, one would figure that Bentley would have come back to finish his career where it started

Should Bobo's offense be hard to pick up? I didn't think that it was some avant-garde system that had a steep learning curve.

Typical summer talk at USC. The backup is always the guy that is going to lead the team to elite status. Bentley was the answer. Scar was the answer. Now we have another. Muschamps head coaching career will sink, or swim, with Hilinski. If he wasnt all but guaranteed the job, one would figure that Bentley would have come back to finish his career where it started
Nobody said a backup is going to lead us to elite status... Never said we would be elite this year, also Hill has never been a backup and some are theorizing he will not ever be one here. That is kind of the point of the thread...

Should Bobo's offense be hard to pick up? I didn't think that it was some avant-garde system that had a steep learning curve.

Wondering the same thing. I've gone back and watched a bit of their games. Definitely more pass-heavy than ours, but nothing revolutionary.

Wondering the same thing. I've gone back and watched a bit of their games. Definitely more pass-heavy than ours, but nothing revolutionary.

I would only think that because of limited practice time this year, it would be tougher than usual for guys to pickup a new offense; whether it is complex or not. Just another thought...

Reactions: ToddFlanders
I would only think that because of limited practice time this year, it would be tougher than usual for guys to pickup a new offense; whether it is complex or not. Just another thought...

That's possibly a factor.

Let me say, if Hill is the very best QB, then he should start. We just don't know. He certainly has never played SEC-level competition. The one hangup for me, is that anytime I read anything about Hill possibly being the starter the ONLY thing I've ever seen as support for that position is that he knows the offense better. I've never seen anyone lay out what his particular skill set is. He does this or that well. It's just his knowledge of the offense.

Reactions: 92Pony
That's possibly a factor.

Let me say, if Hill is the very best QB, then he should start. We just don't know. He certainly has never played SEC-level competition. The one hangup for me, is that anytime I read anything about Hill possibly being the starter the ONLY thing I've ever seen as support for that position is that he knows the offense better. I've never seen anyone lay out what his particular skill set is. He does this or that well. It's just his knowledge of the offense.
I think the assumption behind those statements is “all things being equal”... Then experience is the determining factor. I will not sit here and say I have broke Hill’s tape down substantially to speak to his athleticism or arm vs Hilinsky. I have watched Ryan play a lot though, and I have not identified anything in his skill set that would substantially separate him from most D1 level QBs. He is a very good QB and athlete- better than I have ever been. His arm strength, mobility decision making.. None of it is irreplaceably exceptional or above improvement. Sitting behind a more experienced QB of comparable talent should be the best way for young players to improve and learn a new system- which is why I am and have been on board with Hill taking the starting job IF he is our best player at that position...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT