ADVERTISEMENT

College BB Corruption Investigation names South Carolina and Clemson

PJ's family appears to have been a bit money hungry. I've heard some suggest they didn't need the money but it appears that wasn't the case.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Whether or not we have been found to actually have violated NCAA rules could take anywhere from 1-2 years. And even if we are found innocent of any and all charges, having an ongoing investigation is sure to have adverse effects during recruiting periods

Whether or not we have been found to actually have violated NCAA rules could take anywhere from 1-2 years. And even if we are found innocent of any and all charges, having an ongoing investigation is sure to have adverse effects during recruiting periods
I really don't think it will have any impact. Do you really think Duke, KY, UNC etc. are going to struggle because of this? UNC has had a cloud over their head for what seems like 10 years. They continued to recruit at a high level. Frank will have no problems recruiting his 2-4 star guys out of foreign countries.

I really don't think it will have any impact. Do you really think Duke, KY, UNC etc. are going to struggle because of this? UNC has had a cloud over their head for what seems like 10 years. They continued to recruit at a high level. Frank will have no problems recruiting his 2-4 star guys out of foreign countries.

Very good point!

The only negative is this probably closes the books on Bowen ever playing college basketball.
The NCAA knew his parents took money (before this recent report). Don't know why this would change Bowen's status. The reason he was going to get a 2nd chance is because he personally didn't take money. From everything I read, this is still the case.

Do you gents realize publishing statements in an article is not proof of anything? Allegations are just that...NCAA does not have subpoena power... It could be years before anything is settled in court.. If there are plea bargains, there is very little if anything the NCAA can stand own

• Current South Carolina player Brian Bowen, who was ensnared in the initial federal investigation and started his career at Louisville last fall until the school withheld him from competition. His father, Brian Sr., also received money, according to the documents. (Dawkins’ expense reports also list more than $1,500 in plane tickets for Bowen, his father and his mother. He and his family received at least $7,000 in benefits, according to the documents.)
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see him ever playing in college,would be very surprised. Maybe I'm just a glass half empty kind of guy. As far as the final four run, no way they can take that back. That would force them to do something to the "blue bloods".

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Let the kids get payed market value and this would all go away. Coaches can make millions off the college game, but kids?

Reactions: SliderUSC

No I don't think Duke, Ky & UNC are going to struggle, but we don't have their history either.
Time will tell what effects if any this will have on our program.

Reactions: mbsurfside
  • Current South Carolina player Brian Bowen, who was ensnared in the initial federal investigation and started his career at Louisville last fall until the school withheld him from competition. His father, Brian Sr., also received money, according to the documents. (Dawkins’ expense reports also list more than $1,500 in plane tickets for Bowen, his father and his mother. He and his family received at least $7,000 in benefits, according to the documents.)
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see him ever playing in college,would be very surprised. Maybe I'm just a glass half empty kind of guy. As far as the final four run, no way they can take that back. That would force them to do something to the "blue bloods".
Are you suggesting everyone on this list will be ineligible for the balance of their college careers? I just don't see that happening.

Reactions: VirgilCaine
The NCAA knew his parents took money (before this recent report). Don't know why this would change Bowen's status. The reason he was going to get a 2nd chance is because he personally didn't take money. From everything I read, this is still the case.

We dont know if he took money, or if he knew his Dad took money, but i would be stunned if he every played college basketball

I'm not naive to believe they're not others that took money as H.S. recruits that weren't named in the release today..

..........and i dont blame the players, if you can get , take it. the Universities, TV networks, NCAA , have taken advantage of the players that make everyone else rich for to long

We dont know if he took money, or if he knew his Dad took money, but i would be stunned if he every played college basketball

I'm not naive to believe they're not others that took money as H.S. recruits that weren't named in the release today..

..........and i dont blame the players, if you can get , take it. the Universities, TV networks, NCAA , have taken advantage of the players that make everyone else rich for to long
So you believe everyone on the list will be banned from playing college basketball going forward or are they just going to single-out Bowen? Not being a smart-ass. I don't have the answer to this question but I find it hard to believe the entire list will be banned. I could very well be wrong.

Reactions: VirgilCaine
So you believe everyone on the list will be banned from playing college basketball going forward or are they just going to single-out Bowen? Not being a smart-ass. I don't have the answer to this question but I find it hard to believe the entire list will be banned. I could very well be wrong.

i dont know whats going to happen, most are gone from college, only a few are in school from what i read...thats not my call, but, i think they should play and get paid,.

This is the first shoe to fall, imo.... much more to come, i think coaches asses are tight as a drum right now....

I'll repost what i said in another post, since many posters are starting different threads on the same subject:

So glad to see this.....you get what you deserve.
Stars who play for free ( and don't give me this "they get a free education") who have the cameras on them, who perform at a high level for the financial benefit of others such as Universities, coaches , organizations, TV networks , etc.

...and people are shocked at this...........give me a break.

and this is the tip of the iceberg

i love it!!

Reactions: SliderUSC
I'll repost what i said in another post, since many posters are starting different threads on the same subject:

So glad to see this.....you get what you deserve.
Stars who play for free ( and don't give me this "they get a free education") who have the cameras on them, who perform at a high level for the financial benefit of others such as Universities, coaches , organizations, TV networks , etc.

...and people are shocked at this...........give me a break.

and this is the tip of the iceberg

i love it!!
It will be interesting. You have several big schools (Duke, KY, MSU) that have stars at risk. Several of these teams are in the top 10. It will be an interesting weekend. Does Duke etc. hold these players out?

It will be interesting. You have several big schools (Duke, KY, MSU) that have stars at risk. Several of these teams are in the top 10. It will be an interesting weekend. Does Duke etc. hold these players out?

Dont see any change this weekend...and one month from the biggest annual money maker train in college sports history takes place...the greedy ass NCAA ain't doing nothing now

Reactions: roosterbell
Are you suggesting everyone on this list will be ineligible for the balance of their college careers? I just don't see that happening.

Yes, I think that the few names that I noticed on the list that are still in college will not be playing college basketball next year as well.

Do you gents realize publishing statements in an article is not proof of anything? Allegations are just that...NCAA does not have subpoena power... It could be years before anything is settled in court.. If there are plea bargains, there is very little if anything the NCAA can stand own
This is not an NCAA issue....yet. This is still the FBI investigation in corruption in college basketball...and this is only one agent's expense report from one agency.

The NCAA could ignore it all or make any one who received payments ineligible. There really isn't any in-between on this. If they go with the latter, there will be a lot of games forfeited over the past 2/3 years.

Wasn't it Tarkanian that said something similar to: "The NCAA is gonna be so mad at Kentucky that they're gonna penalize Cleveland State twice."

This is what'll happen to us. We'll be the Cleveland St.

The quote you referenced about sums up the NCAA. I'm not sure what Dozier did or didn't get, but I caught the tail end of a sports talk show in Knoxville this morning and I swear I thought I heard the guy say something like $115. I thought this can't be right. $115 wouldn't even land you on the radar (with that said, team moms baking cookies will get you sanctions so I guess anything is possible). Anyone know how much PJ supposedly took?

The quote you referenced about sums up the NCAA. I'm not sure what Dozier did or didn't get, but I caught the tail end of a sports talk show in Knoxville this morning and I swear I thought I heard the guy say something like $115. I thought this can't be right. $115 wouldn't even land you on the radar (with that said, team moms baking cookies will get you sanctions so I guess anything is possible). Anyone know how much PJ supposedly took?

$6115

You know I think College sports has gotten to the point where the Universities make so much money that the players are going to have to paid to a certain extent. I realize they get a free education but when the Universities make over 50 million just in football off the players something got to give. I'm not sure what the answer is but it will only get worse. Too many scum agency's out there and there isn't a lot of young kids out there that wouldn't take the money. This isn't new and has been going on since the Wooden days.

This is a FBI issue...this isnt ending well for the parties involved
I wouldn't think the FBI
You know I think College sports has gotten to the point where the Universities make so much money that the players are going to have to paid to a certain extent. I realize they get a free education but when the Universities make over 50 million just in football off the players something got to give. I'm not sure what the answer is but it will only get worse. Too many scum agency's out there and there isn't a lot of young kids out there that wouldn't take the money. This isn't new and has been going on since the Wooden days.
Glad this (players getting paid) only occurs in basketball. No way football players are getting paid!

Reactions: Buzzards Roost
I wouldn't think the FBI

Glad this (players getting paid) only occurs in basketball. No way football players are getting paid!

not sure what you mean.. all this disclosure/investigations today came from the FBI

This is a FBI investigation...not SEC. Big difference.

Reactions: GamecockJL
Just looking at it from a Gamecock standpoint, in no way, shape, or form did the Dozier situation help the University. He was already a Gamecock. He just had some leach dangling a carrot in front of him and he evidently took a bite.

I'm not sure what penalties, if any, the university will receive but its an unfortunate situation all the way around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT