ADVERTISEMENT

Collin Hill

With all the other crap going in sports and with our pathetic record last year, my interest level is already dipping dangerously low.

If Hill is our QB starter, my interest is going to drop to near zero.

Don't care to watch an also-ran QB from an also-ran program in an also-ran football conference try to lead us in the SEC.

Maybe it's best that Hill gets the starting nod this year. It's dang hard to see more than 4 wins on this schedule...if everything goes our way. No need to waste Ryan's talent this year. Let him red shirt and let Hill take the lumps this season.

Yep, Ryan was totally screwed up from his coaching last year. Hopefully not irreparably so.
Actually, I took it to mean that he knew then that he wanted to bring in Hill as his starter.

As to your 2nd post, I think if Hilinski sits this year, he will be transferring. That would be a tragedy.

Reactions: DarnSteph
Actually, I took it to mean that he knew then that he wanted to bring in Hill as his starter.

As to your 2nd post, I think if Hilinski sits this year, he will be transferring. That would be a tragedy.

Agree. Stockton is presumably coming in 2022 so that will hasten Ryan's decision.

I'm still a believer in Ryan, but it's looking like Champ and Co. have made the decision to move on from him, consciously or not.

They are both athletic talented kids. I don’t think Joyner got a fair shake at starting QB but he’s changed his mind and wants to play. WR looks like it. Dotyis that good of an athlete we can’t afford to keep him off the field for 2 years

You are right but it just reeks of desperation to me . We should not be in the position where two QBs have moved up the depth chart over guys you recruited as WR’s . Just appears to me they are grasping for straws to find playmakers

Yep, Ryan was totally screwed up from his coaching last year. Hopefully not irreparably so.
Ryan had no business starting last year and I said that before he got here. The Kid needed at least two years to develop, before starting in an SEC game. He has talent but he needs a good quarterback coach, who can pull it out of him. And I didn’t think for “one minute, that coach would be Mike Bobo. With him you can “either play or you can’t.” Bobo is not the kind of coach that’s gonna be patient with you, and I knew Hilinski was in trouble as soon as Muschamp put Bobby Bentley back with the tight ends. Bentley could helped Hilinski and Doty reach their full potential “in my opinion” but who knows 🤷🏾‍♂️ Ryan might start.

Last edited:
Ryan had no business starting last year and I said that before he got here. The Kid needed at least two years to develop, before starting in an SEC game. He has talent but he needs a good quarterback coach, who can pull it out of him. And I didn’t think for “one minute, that coach would be Mike Bobo. With him you can “either play or you can’t.” Bobo is not the kind of coach that’s gonna be patient with you, and I knew Hilinski was in trouble as soon as Muschamp put Bobby Bentley back with the tight ends. Bentley could helped Hilinski and Doty reach their full potential “in my opinion” but who knows 🤷🏾‍♂️ Ryan might start.

Probably true. Too bad for Ryan. He was thrown into the fire too early. Played in a crappy offense. Played for a crappy OC. Played with crappy play calling. Got terrible QB coaching. Had his fundamentals ruined. Instead of trying to fix the mess he made, Champ brings in some no-name QB from a no-name school from a no-name conference just b/c he happens to know the new OC.

Reactions: Brace1
With all the other crap going in sports and with our pathetic record last year, my interest level is already dipping dangerously low.

If Hill is our QB starter, my interest is going to drop to near zero.

Don't care to watch an also-ran QB from an also-ran program in an also-ran football conference try to lead us in the SEC.

Maybe it's best that Hill gets the starting nod this year. It's dang hard to see more than 4 wins on this schedule...if everything goes our way. No need to waste Ryan's talent this year. Let him red shirt and let Hill take the lumps this season.
There have been
Probably true. Too bad for Ryan. He was thrown into the fire too early. Played in a crappy offense. Played for a crappy OC. Played with crappy play calling. Got terrible QB coaching. Had his fundamentals ruined. Instead of trying to fix the mess he made, Champ brings in some no-name QB from a no-name school from a no-name conference just b/c he happens to know the new OC.

No different than Bentley or the transfer to Cal (BM). Playing too early. Unless we move him to WR, keep Doty off the field this year. Don't care that there is a 5 star coming in behind him. There is probably an 80% chance he holds to his commitment and a 40% chance he stays healthy and plays to his 5 star status.

I have kind of a different read on the situation. The fact that Hilinski, with few practice reps in a new playbook (one that requires him to take actual drops, little of which he’s ever done) appears to be running neck and neck with a fifth-year senior who knows the offense front to back may be a testament to the strides he’s making rather than an indictment of the program’s desperation or the quality of play at the position generally. Hill wasn’t a world-beater out of high school but had solid D-1 offers, including I think interest and/or an offer from us, and he performed very well statistically for CSU when he was healthy. If Hill wins the job to start, it doesn’t mean that the two guys won’t split reps or that Hilinski won’t end up taking over the reins once he gets his reads down and his fundamentals tightened up.

Last year was a worst-case scenario where Hilinski got thrown into a situation he was unprepared for, immediately got banged up and never really had a chance to learn and develop because his mechanics were so thrown off because of the injuries. He isn’t losing a year of eligibility regardless of how much or little he plays this year, so why would folks assume he’s a quitter and will look to back down from a challenge next year when he will be the experienced one on the roster? Do y’all actually know something from the family or from Ryan himself, or is all of this stuff merely speculation about transferring and his supposed lack of progress because he couldn’t easily beat out a fifth-year guy who knows the system? I know everyone wants to run down the coaches at every opportunity and much of the criticism is merited, but all the hand-wringing about the QB position seems premature and extreme before ever seeing Hill or Hilinski take a live snap in Bobo’s offense.

I have kind of a different read on the situation. The fact that Hilinski, with few practice reps in a new playbook (one that requires him to take actual drops, little of which he’s ever done) appears to be running neck and neck with a fifth-year senior who knows the offense front to back may be a testament to the strides he’s making rather than an indictment of the program’s desperation or the quality of play at the position generally. Hill wasn’t a world-beater out of high school but had solid D-1 offers, including I think interest and/or an offer from us, and he performed very well statistically for CSU when he was healthy. If Hill wins the job to start, it doesn’t mean that the two guys won’t split reps or that Hilinski won’t end up taking over the reins once he gets his reads down and his fundamentals tightened up.

Last year was a worst-case scenario where Hilinski got thrown into a situation he was unprepared for, immediately got banged up and never really had a chance to learn and develop because his mechanics were so thrown off because of the injuries. He isn’t losing a year of eligibility regardless of how much or little he plays this year, so why would folks assume he’s a quitter and will look to back down from a challenge next year when he will be the experienced one on the roster? Do y’all actually know something from the family or from Ryan himself, or is all of this stuff merely speculation about transferring and his supposed lack of progress because he couldn’t easily beat out a fifth-year guy who knows the system? I know everyone wants to run down the coaches at every opportunity and much of the criticism is merited, but all the hand-wringing about the QB position seems premature and extreme before ever seeing Hill or Hilinski take a live snap in Bobo’s offense.
I’m pretty sure Hill only had 5 offers and Marshall was the biggest one.

I would agree this has to be disheartening for Hilinski. The kid established himself on the team and with his charity in this town. The world has changed on all of us this year, but for him, it is really different. Starting to maybe not starting, his charity now not as front and center because of multiple other issues; he's battling for attention on a lot of fronts. If he leaves, he has to re-establish all of this. If I were him, and I decided that I might go, I would go now. Let this year of tumult pass, start afresh somewhere else next year, somewhere with a better chance of success on the playing field and a renewed focus on the charity front. Unfortunately, our handling of the QB position is exactly what we thought we would get with Muschamp. Not sure BoBo is helping, yet.

I would rather see Ryan get the start. I'll be surprised if Hill hasn't lost a few steps with the injuries he's had in his career, and plus, he'll be gone next year. Ryan won't.
I saw an interview with Hill and he said he would definitely be interested in coming back next year as this one does not count toward eligibility.

Reactions: Scuba_do
I would agree this has to be disheartening for Hilinski. The kid established himself on the team and with his charity in this town. The world has changed on all of us this year, but for him, it is really different. Starting to not starting, his charity now not as front and center because of multiple other issues; he's battling for attention on a lot of fronts. If he leaves, he has to re-establish all of this. If I were him, and I decided that I might go, I would go now. Let this year of tumult pass, start afresh somewhere else next year, somewhere with a better chance of success on the playing field and a renewed focus on the charity front. Unfortunately, our handling of the QB position is exactly what we thought we would get with Muschamp. Not sure BoBo is helping, yet.

Not that I think it should be a big factor in Champ's decision, but the whole darn Hilinksi family moved from Cali to SC b/c of his decision to play here. Champ made a commitment to the kid. If another QB recruit came in and outplayed him, so be it. But to go out and get a transfer QB is really a slap in the face.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Way too many 'nattering nabobs of negativism' on this thread, lol. What ever happened to best man up? If Collin Hill is the starter, fine! If Ryan Hilinski is the starter, also fine! I do know that Todd Ellis and some DB's and WR's on the team have said that Hill has a Sunday arm talent. Dave Gutshall of Dorman has said Hill was one of the most intelligent, talented, and dedicated players he ever coached and that's a good enough recommendation for me. I'm just excited to have a fullback/h-back/tight end in our offense, as well as an actual huddle!

I said from day 1 we are in a better position if Hill is named starter... Keep RH and Doty under 4 games and we might be abke to redshirt o e or both, leaving us in fantastic shape at QB for the next 4 years or so!

I don’t know if this kid is an NFL talent or not, but his stats were pretty good in the games he played, he has good size and tons of experience... three/four off seasons of work with this OC is triple what any of our players have. I bet he gets the nod.

Unless it’s changed, last thing I read about eligibility is this season is a “free” season, you don’t burn eligibility if you play.

Hill has good size, knows Bobo’s offense, and reportedly has flashed a good arm. It doesn’t hurt the team to have him, between injuries and the virus we’ll need every player we can get.

It’s better to have quality depth than to be in the situation we had a few years ago with a walk on and an outfielder who couldn’t hit trying to play QB.

This! You my friend put my thoughts into words a lot better then I could have.

Reactions: mavcock
I’m pretty sure Hill only had 5 offers and Marshall was the biggest one.
Per Shurburtt, we extended him an offer or were prepared to after seeing his Shrine Bowl or North/South performance (his bio lists him as 2x All-State but don’t recall for sure what all-star game(s) Shurburtt said he played in). However, because he had already committed to CSU and had developed a close relationship w/Bobo, he declined to visit here or elsewhere despite getting some attention from bigger schools later in the process. I don’t recall having heard of Hill back when he was recruited so I have no idea how accurate that is or whether the offer(s) were committable, just passing it along FWIW.

Shurburtt made what I thought was a good point about both Hill and the fan base’s other recent object of scorn, Jalen Brooks.
As a fan base, we often get excited about a JUCO All American who tore it up for two years at Fork Union or Itawamba or someplace like that, when they often play against and with players who are glorified high school players with little D-1 potential. Meanwhile, many folks are running down Brooks because he played, and apparently well, at a D-2 school, and Hill, because even though he was a multi-year starter it was at a lesser D-1 school. Those guys, especially in Hill’s case, played against much better competition, trained in better facilities, and likely received significantly better coaching, than the JUCO “stars” we get all moist about.

Reactions: jerryusc
Per Shurburtt, we extended him an offer or were prepared to after seeing his Shrine Bowl or North/South performance (his bio lists him as 2x All-State but don’t recall for sure what all-star game(s) Shurburtt said he played in). However, because he had already committed to CSU and had developed a close relationship w/Bobo, he declined to visit here or elsewhere despite getting some attention from bigger schools later in the process. I don’t recall having heard of Hill back when he was recruited so I have no idea how accurate that is or whether the offer(s) were committable, just passing it along FWIW.

Shurburtt made what I thought was a good point about both Hill and the fan base’s other recent object of scorn, Jalen Brooks.
As a fan base, we often get excited about a JUCO All American who tore it up for two years at Fork Union or Itawamba or someplace like that, when they often play against and with players who are glorified high school players with little D-1 potential. Meanwhile, many folks are running down Brooks because he played, and apparently well, at a D-2 school, and Hill, because even though he was a multi-year starter it was at a lesser D-1 school. Those guys, especially in Hill’s case, played against much better competition, trained in better facilities, and likely received significantly better coaching, than the JUCO “stars” we get all moist about.
I don’t doubt that about the JUCOs but I don’t get overly excited about them either. The main difference though is that many JUCO guys were highly rated HS guys that ended up in JUCO because they couldn’t qualify for a D1 school. They aren’t always guys who didn’t get shots at the big schools because they were “overlooked” in high school.

my brother was at a church sponsored even in CHS Sunday. One family had 2 sons (1 a recent Carolina grad and the other a astudent at USC). The student helps the training staff with RB's. He relayed the following from practices so far
- Fenwick is a huge man but also shifty and fast. 6'2'' 225'ish
- Harris is a power back with quickness. He's a load to bring down.
- Amos has all the skills and a bit faster than the other 2. He's likely to RS
as his head is spinning as for virtually every Fr.
- White hasn't seen too many reps due to his Hammy. Nothing was said about him
- Hill is extremely accurate with a big arm. they have a drill where the RB is between 2 coaches
and the QB drops passes "into a bucket" and right to them. Hill was automatic. said he throws a
very catchable ball and is extremely accurate. That smacks of keeping the chains moving (I hope).
Said Hill is the odds on fav to start though Hilinski has looked good as well. Being in the offense
and knowing exactly what Bobo wants is a huge leg up for him.

That's all I have. Maybe it all turns out to be true. Maybe it's Garnet covered glasses all BS. In 15
days we'll get a strong indication. I for one, hope the kid is spot on.

Remember last year at this time Muschamp said he had his best team and we finished 4-8.
He was correct. That team had 4 nfl picks including a 1st rounder. Being the best team does not equal more wins, especially when your Sr. Qb goes down with an injury.

Reactions: carolinamyke
Coaches go with familiarity. Muschamp like to run the ball, ball control, BoBo knows Hill. Simple. I would rather they play Doty at QB for experience. If Hillinski is not the answer we need a running QB. This is a throw away season.
You name is usc must win and you think this season should be thrown away, lol, how ironic

You name is usc must win and you think this season should be thrown away, lol, how ironic

That's more of a difference in long term vs short term thinking.

Short term, it's best if muschamp pulls off a 7 win season. Long term, it would be bad for the program.

Not that I think it should be a big factor in Champ's decision, but the whole darn Hilinksi family moved from Cali to SC b/c of his decision to play here. Champ made a commitment to the kid. If another QB recruit came in and outplayed him, so be it. But to go out and get a transfer QB is really a slap in the face.
Lol so it's ok if Doty were to beat him out since he's a recruit, but a transfer is a slap in the face? How do y'all come up with these thoughts.

It doesn't equate to more wins when your HC is Will Muschamp.
So most fans and experts said we should win 6 games with a Sr. QB, he goes down and we win 4,and in 2 of our losses a we had wrs was wide open in the end zone for go ahead tds (NC,App) and the ball is overthrown. We still blaming Muschamp for that? Was he supposed to sub in for those throws and make them his self?

aybe it's best that Hill gets the starting nod this year

Even if Hill starts it may not last long, Hill doesn't have much of a track record of staying healthy.

Hilinski wasn't healthy last year after the Georgia game.

Neither guy has proven they can play a full season yet, I don't see having 2 guys this close with injury histories as a bad thing, and whoever starts may be who gets hurt first.

Last edited:
Reactions: 843tjsdad78

Short term, it's best if muschamp pulls off a 7 win season. Long term, it would be bad for the program.
The world is win now not later, why put off for tomorrow what you can do today. If Champ leaves it's bye bye Stockton. Unless Bobo gets the job, how many fans are willing to give the keys to a man that 28-35 as a HC? So what is really best for Carolina?

Also 7 wins this year may bode well for recruiting right, especially with offenses players. Tell me a time when that's a bad thing.

The world is win now not later, why put off for tomorrow what you can do today. If Champ leaves it's bye bye Stockton. Unless Bobo gets the job, how many fans are willing to give the keys to a man that 28-35 as a HC? So what is really best for Carolina?

What's best for Carolina is moving on from Muschamp as soon as possible. A decent season this year only postpones the inevitable.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
What's best for Carolina is moving on from Muschamp as soon as possible. A decent season this year only postpones the inevitable.
Like many on here you have your opinion but you saying this doesn’t mean it’s fact.
What’s best would be Bobo giving Muschamp a competent offense and our defense display its talent allowing for a successful season . We need a staff to build on adding talent like Lloyd and Burch and Stockton and Doty etc but coach them at a high level. We now have a great staff with rocker and Bobo and Wilson etc added
The merry go round of firing and hiring a new coach is not best for a program.
If over this year and next it’s going no where then the decision is obvious but it’s not as of today

So most fans and experts said we should win 6 games with a Sr. QB, he goes down and we win 4,and in 2 of our losses a we had wrs was wide open in the end zone for go ahead tds (NC,App) and the ball is overthrown. We still blaming Muschamp for that? Was he supposed to sub in for those throws and make them his self?
Yes. We are. Remind us again which QB overthrew the receiver against UNC? Was it the same one who, while a great kid, never showed any consistent improvement since his first year? Was it the same one that threw 2 crucial INTs in that same game? The one that Muschamp never benched for poor play throughout his entire career here, despite numerous opportunities?

And I don't care what anyone says. We should never lose to App St. Especially at home for a night game.

There is no excuse whatsoever for only winning 4 games in Year 4.

His stats are better than most USC QBs historically.. He played in 18 total games over his CSU career- of those, 6+ were partial/VERY limited action games for him- like backup duty, 1/2 pass attempts... So, in effect he has played what amounts to total on field time of about one full season... Not THAT much in game experience but he had like 4 off-seasons to learn, some while injured... Experience, knowledge= big advantage. Pedestrian stats? In just a little A little over 1 season worth of recorded real data, he accumulated:
3,300 passing yards (if done all in one year here that would be SECOND ALL TIME IN OUR 100+ year history), 23 TDs (would effectively be 5th all time for us) vs 11 INTs and a passer rating of 137... I would take that any year! Now- obviously he did NOT do that over one season and did not do it here... He also racked up much of those stats over his freshman and RS Sophomore seasons. So- being a RS SENIOR now- bigger, stronger, more confident and more knowledgeable... It is not out of the realm of possibility to expect comparable production if he were able to play a full year and stay healthy.

Compared to RH...
2357 yds, 11 TDs, and 5 picks for a 113 rating... over only 11 games, as a frosh, hampered by injury...

If past performance is any indicator of future results... Even accounting for differences in talent around him and talent of defenses he will play here vs CSU... It looks like Hill is easily the best option we have. Clearly it is impossible to make a straight apples to apples statistical comparison as their situations are enormously different- different places, experience, number of games, age... but the total pass ATTEMPTS Are similar= 406 for RH vs 433 for CH- and that is the best comparison of whether they had a relatable amount of opportunity when comparing production the way I did above- it all says the same thing. Hill has been productive when he was healthy and on the field. Not Heisman caliber, but better than any other option we have it would seem! Ryan seems like a smart player who can avoid trouble but he did not really have an explosive arm, downfield passes were lacking (poor throws of WRs without breakaway capability? You tell me, bit of both I think).
How has Hill done against SEC competition? How would hillinski have Fared against Colorado states opponents? It’s probably a wash

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT