ADVERTISEMENT

Columbia people...2 week shutdown coming.

Any reliable source this came from or your guess?

There is no "shutdown." Non-essential businesses are still open.

Here is a detailed list of businesses deemed essential services, which is like everything:

• Health care operations
  • Law enforcement
  • Fire departments
  • Emergency management
  • Veterinary care
  • Emergency dental care
  • Medical equipment manufacturers and providers
  • Gas stations
  • Automotive repair
  • Car and other vehicle sales
  • Telecommunication
  • Airports
  • Hotels and motels
  • Public utilities
  • Bus stations
  • Manufacturing and food processing
  • Grocery stores
  • Pet stores
  • Pharmacies
  • Convenience stores
  • Take-out/delivery food service
  • Hardware stores
  • Trash and recycling collection and processing
  • Laundromats and dry cleaning
  • Funeral homes
  • Child care services
  • Post offices
  • Animal shelters
  • News media
  • Banks and credit unions
  • Check cashing services
  • Building cleaning and maintenance
  • Warehouse/distribution and fulfillment
  • Legal services
  • Homeless shelters
  • Food banks
  • Foster care and child protective services
  • Construction
  • Skilled trades: electricians, plumbers, landscape services, pool maintenance, nurseries, etc...
  • Residential and commercial real estate brokers
After some debate, council members moved to add the following services to the essential list:

• Travel agencies for the purpose of processing refunds
  • Motorcycle repair and sales
  • Bicycle repair and sales
  • Printing and copying services
I don't see much different than before. Basically, you can't get your hair cut in the city limits.

Reactions: PC31

Here is a detailed list of businesses deemed essential services, which is like everything:

• Health care operations
  • Law enforcement
  • Fire departments
  • Emergency management
  • Veterinary care
  • Emergency dental care
  • Gas stations
  • Automotive repair
  • Telecommunication
  • Airports
  • Hotels and motels
  • Public utilities
  • Bus stations
  • Grocery stores
  • Pet stores
  • Pharmacies
  • Convenience stores
  • Hardware stores
  • Funeral homes
  • Child care services
  • Post offices
  • Animal shelters
  • News media
  • Check cashing services
  • Legal services
  • Homeless shelters
  • Food banks
  • Construction
  • Skilled trades: electricians, plumbers, landscape services, pool maintenance, nurseries, etc...
After some debate, council members moved to add the following services to the essential list:

I don't see much different than before. Basically, you can't get your hair cut in the city limits.

This right here is exactly why it’s going to get a hell of a lot worse before it gets better.

I will say “businesses” are open but a lot of your recreation is closed....gyms, parks, malls, etc....most were closed already though.

• Health care operations
  • Law enforcement
  • Fire departments
  • Emergency management
  • Veterinary care
  • Emergency dental care
  • Gas stations
  • Automotive repair
  • Telecommunication
  • Airports
  • Hotels and motels
  • Public utilities
  • Bus stations
  • Grocery stores
  • Pet stores
  • Pharmacies
  • Convenience stores
  • Hardware stores
  • Funeral homes
  • Child care services
  • Post offices
  • Animal shelters
  • News media
  • Check cashing services
  • Legal services
  • Homeless shelters
  • Food banks
  • Construction

Are adult bookstores on the essential list?

• Health care operations
  • Law enforcement
  • Fire departments
  • Emergency management
  • Veterinary care
  • Emergency dental care
  • Gas stations
  • Automotive repair
  • Telecommunication
  • Airports
  • Hotels and motels
  • Public utilities
  • Bus stations
  • Grocery stores
  • Pet stores
  • Pharmacies
  • Convenience stores
  • Hardware stores
  • Funeral homes
  • Child care services
  • Post offices
  • Animal shelters
  • News media
  • Check cashing services
  • Legal services
  • Homeless shelters
  • Food banks
  • Construction

Thank god I got a pedicure a couple weeks ago.

Seriously, is this a joke?

I'll play like a liberal... We can be like Sweden....

https://inews.co.uk/news/sweden-cor...hs-social-distancing-restaurants-open-2517991

On Monday, Sweden's former state epidemiologist and current advisor to the World Health Organisation (WHO) Johan Giesecke went as far as to tell Swedes to go out and enjoy the spring sun.

Saying "banning public gatherings is an idiotic idea", he told members of the public to "bring a friend and walk a metre apart".

Reactions: AsTheCockCrows
I'll play like a liberal... We can be like Sweden....

https://inews.co.uk/news/sweden-cor...hs-social-distancing-restaurants-open-2517991

On Monday, Sweden's former state epidemiologist and current advisor to the World Health Organisation (WHO) Johan Giesecke went as far as to tell Swedes to go out and enjoy the spring sun.

Saying "banning public gatherings is an idiotic idea", he told members of the public to "bring a friend and walk a metre apart".

That article was interesting. I noted a few things.

Swedes have a lot of trust in their national health agency. Government leaders can’t interfere in the health agency.

It’s also controversial. The Swedish medical association strongly disagrees with their approach.

I’m guessing that Swedes are more compliant with requests from the health agency than Americans with our “no one will ever tell me what do do” approach.

66% of the US population is under 50. Under 50 will get the virus and recover. Then the virus can hardly spread. It’s called the herd immunity.

66% of the US population is under 50. Under 50 will get the virus and recover. Then the virus can hardly spread. It’s called the herd immunity.

This virus knows no age. That may be true in general, but there are plenty of people in the over 1,000 deaths under 50 that didn’t get a ride on the hard immunity train.

Reactions: carolinakg
Folks it is very simple....very simple to fix the problem for you and your neighbor. WEAR A MASK. I wear an N95 mask wherever I go and so does my wife. We wash our hands properly at least 10-20 times a day. We have self quarantined for the last 10 days at home...no family. Stay 10 feet apart....this will go away and fast after we start complying. Our health care industry/medical complex will find a vaccine. Then we won't have to wear a mask.... be patient and be smart. These masks will become available. I bought mine at Lowe's in January when I saw it taking place in China. Be smart and think. If we don't listen to our medical/officials, this will get worse before it gets better. Sports won't be the same this fall either. We are running out of time to get football back (since this is a football forum - at least a sports forum). If by June we don't have this whipped, …..could be a long fall. It is basically April now. At least that is my solution now. And by the way, I get crazy looks from folks...I don't care. After each day's use, take the mask off and spray a disinfectant, Lysol on the surface to be extra safe. I only wear the mask when I go to a gas station or get close to someone outside my home....10 minutes on average a day....say to get gas or groceries. The mask only costs $3.

Columbia is just trying to emphasize how important social distancing is to stop the spread - without really shutting the city down. City Council said as much during their deliberations. Forest Acres, West Columbia, and Cayce have not followed these precautions yet. If the graph continues to show exponential growth the "stay at home" may be more strictly enforced. We will see.

This shut down deal I dont see lasting too much longer. Yearly, thousands die from whatever flu rolls around. And just like with this, it seems that the ones in fatal danger are those elderly, or with underlying health issues. And we have to remember this is something that needs to be dealt with, but this has also become a political football. 17,000 died from H1N1 when the Obama administration barely paid it any attention for six months. Then he was hailed as a hero for finally recognizing it. That same press seems almost giddy now in hopes that this will lead to Trumps demise. But there are two sides to the issue. The country can handle this shutdown for another couple of weeks, but after that, all bets are off. Then you look at facing a depression unlike has been seen since the 1930s. Government cant keep sending checks out forever. I see a time coming soon where things open back up fully, but telling the at danger, and those with symptoms to quarantine.

Reactions: AsTheCockCrows
This shut down deal I dont see lasting too much longer. Yearly, thousands die from whatever flu rolls around. And just like with this, it seems that the ones in fatal danger are those elderly, or with underlying health issues. And we have to remember this is something that needs to be dealt with, but this has also become a political football. 17,000 died from H1N1 when the Obama administration barely paid it any attention for six months. Then he was hailed as a hero for finally recognizing it. That same press seems almost giddy now in hopes that this will lead to Trumps demise. But there are two sides to the issue. The country can handle this shutdown for another couple of weeks, but after that, all bets are off. Then you look at facing a depression unlike has been seen since the 1930s. Government cant keep sending checks out forever. I see a time coming soon where things open back up fully, but telling the at danger, and those with symptoms to quarantine.

It's a different time now than when Obama was dealing with H1N1. Social media has exploded in the last decade and so fewer things slip through the cracks - because almost anyone can bring attention to any cause now. If the H1N1 pandemic was happening now, it would be just as big in the media. Things can no longer be ignored.

And every news outlet is talking about this pandemic, even Fox News. They have a big scoreboard on their site that says "Coronavirus Pandemic" that gives up-to-the-minute numbers of cases and deaths in the world and US. So whose side are they on?

SC attorney General says local government can't do that BS

Yes he did. However, the AG issues opinions not orders. They have no weight as precedent or authority. Only courts can interpret law and issue orders. This AG Opinion is meant as guidance for municipalities. Looking at the opinion, it only cites prior AG Opinions. There is no binding legal authority cited for either side.

Mayor Benjamin and Mayor Tecklenburg have both said they stand by their ordinances. They both have said that the ordinances do not contradict or interfere with any Order by the Governor. I have not read all of the Governor's Executive Orders so I don't know if that it is true. However, there is no love lost between Alan Wilson and Steve Benjamin and John Tecklenburg. (See, controversy over gun laws in cities in SC.) Ultimately, this will be decided by the Courts - if it goes that far.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
Yes he did. However, the AG issues opinions not orders. They have no weight as precedent or authority. Only courts can interpret law and issue orders. This AG Opinion is meant as guidance for municipalities. Looking at the opinion, it only cites prior AG Opinions. There is no binding legal authority cited for either side.

Mayor Benjamin and Mayor Tecklenburg have both said they stand by their ordinances. They both have said that the ordinances do not contradict or interfere with any Order by the Governor. I have not read all of the Governor's Executive Orders so I don't know if that it is true. However, there is no love lost between Alan Wilson and Steve Benjamin and John Tecklenburg. (See, controversy over gun laws in cities in SC.) Ultimately, this will be decided by the Courts - if it goes that far.
Their opinions on this are totally baseless. The issue is not whether the ordinances conflict with the Governor, but whether they even have the authority to issue such ordinances.

Considering the broad umbrella of businesses deemed “essential” under the ordinance, this shouldn’t affect that many folks. I still say it’s bullsh!t though.

Reactions: PC31
I sure hope so; cases in the US have been doubling every 3 days.

Locking down state residents won't mean much, if we don't keep New Yawkers out. That's the key.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...olice-to-hunt-down-new-yorkers-seeking-refuge

EUKC7bMXsAYJoTn

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter

The same mayor that got away with a DUI .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT