ADVERTISEMENT

Come out for big boat parade on Lake Murray Sunday.

If you have a boat and want to show support for our Country. Hit the water this Sunday and enjoy a fun family day on our Great local lake.

I was there this past Sunday.

one thing I learned long ago from personal experience, avoid Lake Murray on holiday weekends for safety reasons and to avoid serious frustration. However, next Monday would be a great day to be there.

I love our country, our military and Lake murray, but safety has to prevail & being around a large quantity of boats, ensures being close to more folks whom tend to lack lake manners & common sense....there for staying on the north west end of the lake (leesville/saluda) where the traffic & quantity of folks tends to be less prevalent is the preference. Everyone be safe

Just for curiosity which lake is larger, Lake Murray or Lake Hartwell? And secondly which lake is more fun? I could google the answer but it's more fun to ask posters and get opinions.

Last edited:
I love our country, our military and Lake murray, but safety has to prevail & being around a large quantity of boats, ensures being close to more folks whom tend to lack lake manners & common sense....there for staying on the north west end of the lake (leesville/saluda) where the traffic & quantity of folks tends to be less prevalent is the preference. Everyone be safe
I've lived on or around Murray for most of my life. I've always steered clear of holiday celebrations, most especially 4th of July.

I've lived on or around Murray for most of my life. I've always steered clear of holiday celebrations, most especially 4th of July.
Me too. There is not enough money, nor vodka, in the world to get me on a boat in the middle of Lake for the July 4th celebration. I'll stay safe and sound on my aunt & uncle's doc TYVM.

This Saturday will be crazy, even with the 4th of July boat parade cancelled.

Hartwell is larger than Murray. 87.5 square miles vs. 78.2 square miles.
Murray is more fun, if only for the simple fact that you don't have to worry about the possibility of ruining your view with a glimpse of THAT stadium.
Thanks for the info. I've always thought murray was bigger.

This weekend will be mass chaos. I like to troll around. You can get run over on weekends like this. Lost 2 friends a couple years back when a cigarette boat took them out.

Thanks for the info. I've always thought murray was bigger.

This weekend will be mass chaos. I like to troll around. You can get run over on weekends like this. Lost 2 friends a couple years back when a cigarette boat took them out.
Me too. But let's be honest. At that size, 9 square miles won't seem like that big of a difference.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
I'd say it really depends on what you want in a lake. Remember that Hartwell is a COE lake thus many more restrictions. So if you are looking for on lake bars and restaurants then it's Murray Plus The Galley on Hartwell is still closed.
And I'm down near the damn so there is no chance I see "that" stadium.

Murray is more fun, if only for the simple fact that you don't have to worry about the possibility of ruining your view with a glimpse of THAT stadium.
Fun fact...Lake Marion is the largest lake in the state at 110.000 acres, twice as big as Murray and Hartwell

Reactions: USCLaw85

"That view" would be a deal breaker for me!

Just for curiosity which lake is larger, Lake Murray or Lake Hartwell? And secondly which lake is more fun? I could google the answer but it's more fun to ask posters and get opinions.

Murray seems larger because of its shape. But it has half the shoreline as Hartwell and is smaller.

Fun fact...Lake Marion is the largest lake in the state at 110.000 acres, twice as big as Murray and Hartwell

Also Clark Hill is 72,000 Acres with 1200 miles of shoreline. It’s stated as the “largest man-made reservoir East of the Mississippi”. Yet Marion has a dam. So I was always curious about that because Marion surely appears like a man made lake.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
Me too. There is not enough money, nor vodka, in the world to get me on a boat in the middle of Lake for the July 4th celebration. I'll stay safe and sound on my aunt & uncle's doc TYVM.

This Saturday will be crazy, even with the 4th of July boat parade cancelled.
So there's a parade Sunday (op), but the parade is canceled. What gives?

Size of lakes in this state
1. Marion
2. Thurmond/Clarks Hill
3. Hartwell
4. Moultie
5. Murray
How deep is Marion ? I have seen lots of areas on Hartwell that are over 100' deep. Deepest I remember seeing is about 150'.

The Official 4th of July Celebration on the Lake is Saturday with Fireworks only. The note I saw on SCIway said the boat parade is cancelled.

Maybe he's having his own private one?
Thanks for clearing that up!

The Official 4th of July Celebration on the Lake is Saturday with Fireworks only. The note I saw on SCIway said the boat parade is cancelled.

Maybe he's having his own private one?
Saw on social media where there is some type of "ad hoc" Trump parade on the lake Sunday. Not sure whether it's organized, sanctioned/licensed etc.......

I would imagine no deeper than 50-60 ft. But I’m guessing there.
Avg depth is somewhere around 15ft and the deepest place is around 75ft if my memory serves (probably near the dam). To compare Jocassee has avg depth of around 150ft and the deepest is close to 350ft

Reactions: USCLaw85
I like Marion the best.
Specifically stump hole swamp.
nothing like it.

best experienced in a 12 foot jon[/QUOTE
also a fun trip to take lake marion up the Congaree.. A little scary almost, like you are in Deliverance country.

Avg depth is somewhere around 15ft and the deepest place is around 75ft if my memory serves (probably near the dam). To compare Jocassee has avg depth of around 150ft and the deepest is close to 350ft

Lake Murray is around 354 ft at its deepest, which is close to the dam. I thought Jocassee was as deep as 700 ft in places, but looked it up, not that deep anywhere according to official depths I found on the internet?

When Murray as made it was the largest man made lake in the US

When Murray as made it was the largest man made lake in the US

This is a fact, but I think that was 1936. Lake Murray is a very nice lake, with relatively clean water. It's almost too overcrowded these days, but what a treasure for the Midlands of SC. I know I had some LARGE times on that lake until I moved from the Columbia area in 1985. My sister lives on LM near Chapin, so I've enjoyed it many times since moving away!

This is a fact, but I think that was 1936. Lake Murray is a very nice lake, with relatively clean water. It's almost too overcrowded these days, but what a treasure for the Midlands of SC. I know I had some LARGE times on that lake until I moved from the Columbia area in 1985. My sister lives on LM near Chapin, so I've enjoyed it many times since moving away!
It was hopping today

Reactions: hobcawcreekcock
It was the Largest boat parade I have ever seen. Thousands of boats from one end of Lake Murray to the other. All in support of our President and Country. You won’t see it on CNN, but it was huge and GREAT.
The wife and I were out with some friends on their boat. It was indeed a MASSIVE turnout!! Holy smokes the boats!!! For the most part, what i saw, people were safe. But all of those boats made for some ROUGH water! All in all, was a fun time.

Reactions: Brutal Rooster
Lake Murray is around 354 ft at its deepest, which is close to the dam. I thought Jocassee was as deep as 700 ft in places, but looked it up, not that deep anywhere according to official depths I found on the internet?
Could be that both are deeper than the official depth. According to DNR Murray is approx 200 and Jocassee 350. I’ve always heard as well from folks who grew up in the area that Jocassee had spot approaching 700. Would make sense given the topography of the area. I wish I could figure out how to post photos. I had a patient who’s father took a bunch of photographs of the gorge prior to the lake. It’s interesting to compare the photos with how things look today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT