ADVERTISEMENT

Coming around on the potential Beamer hire

BeCocky77

Sep 21, 2020
I've been in the Napier camp up to this point, viewing him as the safest hire of the major names mentioned. I still believe that. However, I can get on board with the Beamer hire. It has absolutely zero to do with the fact that he coached here under Spurrier a decade ago. A lot of guys coached here under Spurrier. It's got nothing to do with his name. Those are foolish reasons.

I guess it's the mystery of the hire and our current situation. We can't really get much worse than we are right now. So how much damage can he really do if he's not the right guy? I mean, we've been playing football since 1892, so how much are we really losing if he's not the right guy and sets us back a few years?

Don't get me wrong, it's risky as all get out. The riskiest of all the hires besides Freeze. But it's got the biggest potential for payoff.

Essentially this move would turn out either gloriously or disastrously. I don't see middle ground. I'm intrigued enough to roll the dice on it.

This is how our fans need to approach this. I don’t believe any candidate was going to wow the country. Our fans had their own favorites that would’ve made them feel better about the process had their guy been hired. But this isn’t a bad hire. The process wasn’t botched. I would’ve preferred someone with HC experience but I’m hopeful. Hope Beamer goes down as the winningest coach in SC History. While he hasn’t been an HC, it was only a matter of time before he was. Hopefully we finally beat someone to the punch for once. We have a history of missing out on guys.

All hires are a calculated risk, there are no guarantees, However I'm not comfortable with rolling the dice on a Beamer hire

And that’s ok. Many do and I get why. I think the question is will you support the guy? Or will you get on here and complain about botching the hire when we take our first L next season? Based on your post history, I think you know we need to support him, regardless of how we feel the hire went.

And that’s ok. Many do and I get why. I think the question is will you support the guy? Or will you get on here and complain about botching the hire when we take our first L next season? Based on your post history, I think you know we need to support him, regardless of how we feel the hire went.

Thats the important thing, no matter if this is or isn't the hire an individual prefers, we all need to be gamecocks and support him from the start.

Looks like beamer is coming so get behind him and let's roll. I'm all in for urban Meyer no matter the cost but if not beamer will get it done with a good young but good experienced staff with Connor Shaw involved as well.

I am coming around to a couple obvious conclusions. The hiring of Beamer would prove that the program is so unattractive right now, that they can't attract anyone of legitimacy. One knows they had to contact some folks in hopes of a little wow factor with the hire. But them again, maybe not. Ray hasn't proven to be a very good judge of talent in any sport that matters. Why would we expect him to suddenly figure it out?

I am coming around to a couple obvious conclusions. The hiring of Beamer would prove that the program is so unattractive right now, that they can't attract anyone of legitimacy. One knows they had to contact some folks in hopes of a little wow factor with the hire. But them again, maybe not. Ray hasn't proven to be a very good judge of talent in any sport that matters. Why would we expect him to suddenly figure it out?

The shape of our Mens sports screams that Ray should be fired. We are the worst men’s program in the country. I have no clue if Beamer is the right person or not. I know its a gamble to hire someone who has never been a coordinator. I’m concerned that getting recruits with an untested coach will be tough without world class coordinators. What really good coordinator would want to work for someone who is less qualified than them? I don’t get it. Still the first answer is to get a real AD.

Reactions: sclawman77
I didn't like the Muschamp hire, yet I know it takes a reasonable amount of time to build your own program so I wasn't that critical about CWM initially. Sure like everyone else there will be some game-day decisions that would be scrutinized, criticized and debated. but overall I was willing to support him. However by the play exhibited and the results from last year it became obvious to me that CWM was in over his head.
I don't go off on rants, and I've never come on here, after a loss demanding terminations. But this year I did feel that it was definitely a time for change.
As others, I have preferences for a hire, but if those candidates are not chosen, I'm not the type to pout and wait for every miscue to say "I told you so".
I will say for everyone on here ,IMHO, whoever is hired, we should expect a rebuild in the 3 year timeframe.

It’s going to be great, the feature in all out games is going to be around his pedigree and the culture he is changing

Instead of this year, all our coverage was about our geriatric QB and his bad knees

I didn't like the Muschamp hire, yet I know it takes a reasonable amount of time to build your own program so I wasn't that critical about CWM initially. Sure like everyone else there will be some game-day decisions that would be scrutinized, criticized and debated. but overall I was willing to support him. However by the play exhibited and the results from last year it became obvious to me that CWM was in over his head.
I don't go off on rants, and I've never come on here, after a loss demanding terminations. But this year I did feel that it was definitely a time for change.
As others, I have preferences for a hire, but if those candidates are not chosen, I'm not the type to pout and wait for every miscue to say "I told you so".
I will say for everyone on here ,IMHO, whoever is hired, we should expect a rebuild in the 3 year timeframe.

In Muschamp, we hired a proven failure as a major head coach whose trajectory was downward. With Beamer, at least his trajectory is up. I really think this is a coming together of the mutual unwanted and unrespected. I'll support it, but its a real roll of the dice, something you do when you are desperate.

I thought all the top candidates were interchangeable as far as potential goes. Might as well pick one and roll with it.

In Muschamp, we hired a proven failure as a major head coach whose trajectory was downward. With Beamer, at least his trajectory is up. I really think this is a coming together of the mutual unwanted and unrespected. I'll support it, but its a real roll of the dice, something you do when you are desperate.

This is the concern I have.

I thought all the top candidates were interchangeable as far as potential goes. Might as well pick one and roll with it.

Yep, folks who are pissy about us potentially going after Beamer don’t see that point. There was no one candidate who was head and shoulders above the rest.

I’d need to know what happened with Napier and Freeze before I could get excited about Beamer. If those guys declined for some reason, and they couldn’t figure out the financials with Satterfield or Neal Brown, then by all means take a shot with Beamer. But if they passed on Napier or Freeze for Beamer, Tanner needs to be run out of town.

On Beamer specifically, it’s hard to evaluate him without intimate knowledge of his coaching situations. We know being a recruiting coordinator and special teams coordinator means something. You have to be organized, detailed and motivated in those roles. But what we don’t know is what it means that he carried an Associate Head Coach title during some very average VA Tech years and now carries an Assistant Head Coach title at OU. Often, these are just nonsense titles to get coaches a higher salary, but sometimes they do come with an increased role and responsibility. OU’s been really good in the two and a half seasons Beamer has been there. He might have a large role in that or a very small role in that.

• Love
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Agreed especially bout the trending upward part. That's what separates this next hire from the disastrous Muskrat hire. Also, what big name HC is out there that would be remotely interested in coaching here? Beamer wants to come here and at this point in our program, I don't think it would be much difference, relative to risk, to go with a Beamer vs a HC type from a lesser conference.

Agreed I’ll support with my eyes but I won’t support with my wallet until he proves he can put a fun , competitive team on the field . If he does that in a few years I may change my tune . Either way I don’t think it’s a bad hire like you know who . It’s definitely not a earth shattering difference making hire but the jury will be out on that for a few years . Personally I would have loved to see us go all in on a guy like Joe Brady if we are going the unproven HC route but only time will tell .

Beamer has the only resume with no measurables....meaning....no experience as a Head Coach, as Defensive Coordinator or as an Offensive Coordinator. What SEC team would make this decision....other than USC?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Essentially this move would turn out either gloriously or disastrously. I don't see middle ground. I'm intrigued enough to roll the dice on it.
So, you're saying he is either going to win 9,10,11, etc games a year or 3-4 games per year? I don't think so. He can be just an average coach, winning 6 or 7 games a year. That's better than the past couple of years and more like Muschamp's first and third seasons here. So, yes, there is, indeed, a middle ground. I don't think we would be happy with that either.

So, you're saying he is either going to win 9,10,11, etc games a year or 3-4 games per year? I don't think so. He can be just an average coach, winning 6 or 7 games a year. That's better than the past couple of years and more like Muschamp's first and third seasons here. So, yes, there is, indeed, a middle ground. I don't think we would be happy with that either.

It's obviously my opinion. I just see this being either a total disaster or a total home run. It's just either gonna be a great move or a horrible one. In my opinion.

Reactions: cpvniii
ADVERTISEMENT