ADVERTISEMENT

Commitment #10 . . . Dantrell Barkley

rockingamecock

Aug 28, 2001
Soda City
South Carolina’s Will Muschamp stayed hot on the recruiting trail Tuesday landing a commitment from defensive lineman Dantrell Barkley (6-foot-3, 285 pounds) from Independence Community College in Kansas and Kannapolis, N.C. He’s the fourth commitment for Muschamp in June and the 10th overall for the 2018 class.

Barkley also considered N.C. State, Colorado and Colorado State. He visited USC earlier in the month and from that determined his future would be best served with Muschamp and defensive line coach Lance Thompson.

“The relationship with the coaches,” Barkley explained as a primary reason for picking USC. “Most of the coaches on the staff I’ve talked to for quite some time, especially Coach (Bobby) Bentley and Coach Thompson. It’s the SEC, of course, and I can compete with the best players in the country. And it’s close to home and I can come have my folks come see me play.”

Barkley redshirted last season at Independence, so his major college potential is based on what coaches saw in the spring and in his senior season at A.L. Brown High School. The Gamecocks project to lose three starters off their defensive line in 2017, so Barkley sees a chance for an early spot in the rotation.

“I see myself coming in and making an immediate impact and compete at the three-technique position,” he said. “I’ll be able to move around and play some end, maybe, but mostly at the three technique. Coach Thompson likes the way I get after it, he likes my motor. He said I’m a little raw right now but he can polish me up.”

Barkley is USC’s first interior defensive lineman commitment for the class. He is scheduled to visit NC State this Saturday but he’s not sure he’ll follow thru with that. He plans to graduate in December and will have three years to play three with the Gamecocks.

If Coach Thompson likes his motor and thinks he can develop him, then that's all I need to know he's a good get. Thompson's reputation for developing players speaks for itself.

Glad to have him. Welcome aboard. I know we need help now but I hate that we have to go the JUCO route. I trust muschamp so we shall wait and see. Big uglies are much needed and needed now.

If Coach Thompson likes his motor and thinks he can develop him, then that's all I need to know he's a good get. Thompson's reputation for developing players speaks for itself.
I think some fans wanted Coach Lawing back at South Carolina. I think coach Muschamp selected the right personnel, coach Thompson, to be in charge of the defensive line. I think in 2018 or 2019, coach Thompson will have a highly effective defense front line that may worry a lot of the SEC eastern division opponents.

Reactions: BigTomE
If you consider this class great it's apparent you don't have a clue
I didn't say it was great but I live in the real world and know we will never get your handful of 5* dream recruits there are only so many out there. Muschamp is getting good results and is rebuilding but it takes time. Most of his recruits were offered by major D1 programs but no team is dominated by only so called 5* players they have those below average guys too as you call them.

Reactions: JGH 35 and BigTomE
I didn't say it was great but I live in the real world and know we will never get your handful of 5* dream recruits there are only so many out there. Muschamp is getting good results and is rebuilding but it takes time. Most of his recruits were offered by major D1 programs but no team is dominated by only so called 5* players they have those below average guys too as you call them.

We never will? Clemson right up the road doing it. You just have the loser mentality and accept mediocrity. It's common around here.

Reactions: acmnni1
We never will? Clemson right up the road doing it. You just have the loser mentality and accept mediocrity. It's common around here.
You could write the losers manual. When you show me one 5* who became a 5* all by himself with no help from other good players I'll lay my argument to rest. Someday soon we will get our share of 5* players but we won't get them all. How many 5* players did Spurrier actually have on the roster besides Clowney? Even Clowney sand bagged at times and took plays off. He had good football players around him not prima donas. No loser here pal I just don't believe in the all or nothing theory and fantasy.

I'm just saying let's not pretend and call this a great class when it's not. Also let's not say it can't be done when Clemson is right up the road landing 5 stars.

Let's not revisit the star debate either. We all know it's better to have 5 stars than 1

I'm just saying let's not pretend and call this a great class when it's not. Also let's not say it can't be done when Clemson is right up the road landing 5 stars.

Let's not revisit the star debate either. We all know it's better to have 5 stars than 1
Didn't say it was a great class but a good class and we didn't take any 1* players.

I'm sure this thread will be linked on taternet soon, if it hasn't been already. These immature trolls pretend to be idiotic Gamecock fans, then post a link to the thread on taternet. They're worse than gossiping teenage girls. It's so silly

I'm sure this thread will be linked on taternet soon, if it hasn't been already. These immature trolls pretend to be idiotic Gamecock fans, then post a link to the thread on taternet. They're worse than gossiping teenage girls. It's so silly
The irony is that he got some fans to bite! The asshole needs to go back there and play in the
cow pasture.

Great? When we get a handful of 5 stars I'll call it great lol. Until then it's below average in the SEC
You have to consider context. Spurrier left us with almost nothing...that was obvious in the rival game last November. I don't like having to scarf up JUCOs, but in our situation, we need bodies. We have to get to the place where receivers don't drag our DBs 10 yds into the end zone.

Said this before, but at some point we have to start gaining ground. Don't quite feel that way yet. Feels like status quo. Can't change things overnight I guess but just feels like treading water. Here is to a great finish.

Great? When we get a handful of 5 stars I'll call it great lol. Until then it's below average in the SEC
maybe you need to pull for someone else then..
I support the ones that are happy to come to SC..
giphy.gif

Great get, wasn't good enough to avoid a red shirt at a CC in Kansas but is going to be effective immediately in P5 football.

Apparently you need a discussion on the star system, because it is obvious that you do not understand it. Rivals has a fixed number of recruits they label as 5* every single year regardless of the volume of available outstanding players. That is 50 in the ENTIRE COUNTRY. Many of these are not even in our recruiting areas such as out west or up north, so it is not conceivable we will ever get a bunch of these. Clemsux gets about 2 a year. They are not "loading up" on 5* recruits as there just are not enough of them to go around for any team to "load up" with them. Some programs, like Alabama may get 3 or 4 a year but the vast majority of top schools do good to get one a year. And all of that is assuming that all 5* ranked players are the best players in the country which is proven year in and year out not necessarily to be the case.

What were his other offers?????????

A lot less then RJ Roderick but no citadel offer :)

Ark State, Colorado, and Colorado State.

But he didn't play JUCO last year he redshirted so he play 3 in 3, may be why the lack of interest?

I have not watched any film because there is very little, since he did not play, I won't debate you, I really like RJ Roderick as you could tell.

Reactions: coolcock2001
A lot less then RJ Roderick but no citadel offer :)

Ark State, Colorado, and Colorado State.

But he didn't play JUCO last year he redshirted so he play 3 in 3, may be why the lack of interest?

I have not watched any film because there is very little, since he did not play, I won't debate you, I really like RJ Roderick as you could tell.
FYI I'm not gonna debate you any time soon; I freely admit you know 10x more about our recruiting than I do. I enjoy reading your posts because you have good info and don't seem to be 100% "homer"

Reactions: Gradstudent
Have to be honest, was hoping for a top 10 or 15 class. Still could happen but have to finish strong.

E cut 22 and pluffmud are clemson fans.

No doubt about it.
I played at USC brother. If i say this class is "great" will I be back in your good graces? Bunch of idiots on here, thank God this is a small minority of our fan base with this loser mentality

Have to be honest, was hoping for a top 10 or 15 class. Still could happen but have to finish strong.

Also Clemson has three 5 stars signed for 2017 and two committed 5 stars for 2018. ALABAMA signed 7. We haunt signed five 5 stars in our history however I'll go along with everyone and admit our class is GREAT!!!

Reactions: BigBlackCock
That's what I mean by gaining ground.

QUOTE="E-Cut_22, post: 3377747, member: 10704"]Also Clemson has three 5 stars signed for 2017 and two committed 5 stars for 2018. ALABAMA signed 7. We haunt signed five 5 stars in our history however I'll go along with everyone and admit our class is GREAT!!![/QUOTE]

Glad to have him. Welcome aboard. I know we need help now but I hate that we have to go the JUCO route. I trust muschamp so we shall wait and see. Big uglies are much needed and needed now.
What exactly is your problem with the JUCO route? Especially a guy who can play three? Most DL recruits don't play much year one any way, so this is far better! We get a kid a couple years out of Hs, physically ready to play right away without having to wait for their RS/ Freshman year to pass!

Some people just make shit up to worry about.

Reactions: BigTomE
Also Clemson has three 5 stars signed for 2017 and two committed 5 stars for 2018. ALABAMA signed 7. We haunt signed five 5 stars in our history however I'll go along with everyone and admit our class is GREAT!!!
I stand corrected. That was 3 mentions for PU. It looks like you are in love with them!
...played for USC my a$$.

I wish i could meet some of you sniveling sissys face to face just once. Bet you never picked up a ball and played any sport except for your own balls and called it pocket pool lmao

Reactions: cp1275
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT