ADVERTISEMENT

Completely OT: guns confiscated at Atlanta airport

vacock#

Oct 26, 1998
link

Agents with the Transportation Security Administration say they have confiscated a record-breaking number of guns at Atlanta's airport.

The TSA confirmed to Channel 2's Nefertiti Jaquez that security screeners confiscated 30 guns during the month of May at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

The agency says that's the most guns ever confiscated at an airport in a single month.

"Carrying a weapon on a plane is not necessary," traveler Saundra Jackson said.

Gun owner Marc VanBruck, who was on his way to New York City, told Jaquez that gun owners shouldn't be so careless while traveling.

"As a gun owner myself, that is strange," VanBruck said. "If you're taking it into a public space, you have to be considerate of others. That you're not thinking of that when you're coming through security - just doesn't make sense to me."

Especially since fliers are asked if they packed prohibited items when they check in for their flight online, at the kiosk or in person, and they're reminded yet again through signs plastered throughout the airport before passing through security.

"We're told we need to check our water. So, for people to think they can possibly get a firearm secretly through security means people are really careless," VanBruck said.

TSA officers said so far this year, agents have discovered 108 firearms at Hartsfield-Jackson. That number is up from 91 for the same time period in 2017.

More than 1,700 guns have been found at TSA security checkpoints nationwide so far this year.

A lot of knuckleheads in the southeast.

link

Agents with the Transportation Security Administration say they have confiscated a record-breaking number of guns at Atlanta's airport.

The TSA confirmed to Channel 2's Nefertiti Jaquez that security screeners confiscated 30 guns during the month of May at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

The agency says that's the most guns ever confiscated at an airport in a single month.

"Carrying a weapon on a plane is not necessary," traveler Saundra Jackson said.

Gun owner Marc VanBruck, who was on his way to New York City, told Jaquez that gun owners shouldn't be so careless while traveling.

"As a gun owner myself, that is strange," VanBruck said. "If you're taking it into a public space, you have to be considerate of others. That you're not thinking of that when you're coming through security - just doesn't make sense to me."

Especially since fliers are asked if they packed prohibited items when they check in for their flight online, at the kiosk or in person, and they're reminded yet again through signs plastered throughout the airport before passing through security.

"We're told we need to check our water. So, for people to think they can possibly get a firearm secretly through security means people are really careless," VanBruck said.

TSA officers said so far this year, agents have discovered 108 firearms at Hartsfield-Jackson. That number is up from 91 for the same time period in 2017.

More than 1,700 guns have been found at TSA security checkpoints nationwide so far this year.

A lot of knuckleheads in the southeast.
It says 1700 guns have been found NATIONWIDE yet you claim its the Southeast? Agenda? Stereotype much?

It says 1700 guns have been found NATIONWIDE yet you claim its the Southeast? Agenda? Stereotype much?

To be fair, the article states the number of guns confiscated at Hartsfield-Jackson in the first 2 paragraphs, then again in the next to last paragraph.
The statement you used is the last sentence of this article, so the weight of article is targeted on the Atlanta airport

Reactions: vacock#
To be fair, the article states the number of guns confiscated at Hartsfield-Jackson in the first 2 paragraphs, then again in the next to last paragraph.
The statement you used is the last sentence of this article, so the weight of article is targeted on the Atlanta airport
But like previously stated, HJ is the busiest Airport in the World with connections from every Airport on the planet, just being in the Southeast doesnt qualify the posters accusation.

But like previously stated, HJ is the busiest Airport in the World with connections from every Airport on the planet, just being in the Southeast doesnt qualify the posters accusation.

I'm not taking the opinion of the OP, but the question would then be, even if there are thousands of connections, at that time you would no longer be going through checkpoints. These confiscations would have to be made before entering any of terminals. Whether this is an indication of residents of the SE is a matter of interpretation, however the optics point to primarily the SE.

Reactions: ddw1263 and vacock#
I'm not taking the opinion of the OP, but the question would then be, even if there are thousands of connections, at that time you would no longer be going through checkpoints. These confiscations would have to be made before entering any of terminals. Whether this is an indication of residents of the SE is a matter of interpretation, however the optics point to primarily the SE.
Could be from out of town and could have bought the gun in Atlanta etc. Obviously, they weren't taking a flight back home TO Atlanta they could be from anywhere. JMHO

My point was that the thousands of connections mean that people from all over the world come to Atlanta not just the ones going from Gate to gate but the ones who are actual
I don't have an "agenda much", but how would one take a gun with them on a connecting flight?
People dont visit Atlanta?

My point was that the thousands of connections mean that people from all over the world come to Atlanta not just the ones going from Gate to gate but the ones who are actual

People dont visit Atlanta?

So they get their guns from Atlanta?

For everyone being obtuse, you can fly with a gun in checked baggage. People from around the world fly into ATL for a myriad of reasons - sporting events, areas that are easily accessible via vehicle once one flies into ATL, etc. It is possible that some of those guns confiscated did not originate in the SE, but were confiscated at the beginning of the traveler's return trip. (Why they didn't properly store the firearm in this instance, who knows.)

The statement made about the SE could be made if the report had referenced O'Hare, LAX, Seattle-Tacoma, BWI, whathaveyou, and is equally flawed in those instances.

Last edited:
I carry my guns all the time without a problem
dwightgunshow001.gif

Reactions: uscg1984
Initially thought the same thing, but if the passengers connecting flight was ATL then they have already been through TSA security check at least once.

Sorta random story here. A friend of mine went on a business trip to China. When he unpacks at the hotel, he finds that his little wildman son had dropped a 12 gage shotgun shell into each of his cowboy boots. Somehow it got through security. So my friend waited until late at night and stealthily buried the shotgun shells in some bushes outside the hotel.

As both a gun-guy and a native Southeasterner, I don't find it surprising that the TSA would find more guns in Atlanta than at the nation's other major airports. Knuckleheads or not, you can only confiscate guns from people who own guns. The busiest airport in the world happens to be situated in a very gun-friendly state. The TSA will never confiscate large quantities of guns at O'Hare because the average citizen in Chicago doesn't own a gun and the gang-bangers in the south side just don't fly that often.

Given that Hartsfield is the world's busiest airport, it's very possible that these people are NOT from the Southeast necessarily.

These would be people flying to or from Atlanta as a destination or start point, however. Most people traveling through ATL are changing planes and not going through security unless they have to get an overnight hotel due to delays.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT