ADVERTISEMENT

Conference expansion

Boom4life

Oct 30, 2017
Have not seen any mention of it at all. Lots of rumors flying. Obviously usc and ucla moving to the big ten is in response to the sec adding texas and ou. Where does the sec turn in response? Nd is obviously the largest domino, who would be #2?

Just my opinion, but if the ND dominoe falls, I think you’ll see a group of teams join each the b10 and sec all at once. I'm thinking everyone is just jockeying for those positions now.

Someone needs to explain…what does FSU and Clemson bring to the SEC? The SEC already owns South Carolina and Florida. They will just be slicing into the pie. I get considering UNC and UVA. Those schools would be adding to TV exposure and increasing the pie.

Someone needs to explain…what does FSU and Clemson bring to the SEC? The SEC already owns South Carolina and Florida. They will just be slicing into the pie. I get considering UNC and UVA. Those schools would be adding to TV exposure and increasing the pie.
Think UNC and UVA and probably Duke will be lured by the research money of the BTAA. SEC would be an easy fit for NCSU and VaTech though....which would benefit both conferences.

Agree that the SEC adds little by adding FSU and Clemson. If the ACC is cannibalized UND will probably end up in the B1G...and they may anyway due to old rivalries. SEC should get one of the AZ schools also.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
I doubt the SEC is interested in VaTech or NCSU…minor leaguers. I think Miami completes the Florida market and UNC is up and coming in fb already there in BB. Now honestly, the Clemson brand will come into play if the expansion is more than two teams. Simply to keep the B10 out of the southeast. ND ain’t coming to SEC, they will go B10 if any place.

Reactions: VHFAN4EVER
I doubt the SEC is interested in VaTech or NCSU…minor leaguers. I think Miami completes the Florida market and UNC is up and coming in fb already there in BB. Now honestly, the Clemson brand will come into play if the expansion is more than two teams. Simply to keep the B10 out of the southeast. ND ain’t coming to SEC, they will go B10 if any place.
No one is going after one of the ACC schools until the member schools come to some agreement on their GOR issue. Neither SEC or the B1G will want a interference of contract suit against them.

UND should be the next domino to fall....whether it sticks with the ACC or opts to go in with the B1G will start the remainder and will probably decide the ACCs fate. Until then I'd look for the PAC-12 and the Big 12 to start attempting to lure teams from each other in order to stay viable.

No one is going after one of the ACC schools until the member schools come to some agreement on their GOR issue. Neither SEC or the B1G will want a interference of contract suit against them.

UND should be the next domino to fall....whether it sticks with the ACC or opts to go in with the B1G will start the remainder and will probably decide the ACCs fate. Until then I'd look for the PAC-12 and the Big 12 to start attempting to lure teams from each other in order to stay viable.
I don’t 100% agree with this. That GOR is attached to the espn contract. Espn is behind the sec expansion. I believe that if espn wants some acc teams in the sec, they will make it happen. Like someone has already said it’s not about tv markets anymore it’s about eyes on the screen. Unfortunately clemson is one of the most watch football teams in the last ten years and have a large brand when it comes to college football. They are attractive to both the big ten and sec. That is if the big ten starts to accept non AAU members. Not to mention the GSP area is the 35 largest network in the country. Clemson will be in the first group to leave the ACC I believe. I like some others don’t believe that GOR is as concrete as some suspect. If the acc adds teams the GOR is voided as well.

Some can argue it but there is a reason they are mentioned in almost every single expansion article now. It just sucks it’s them.

Reactions: GCDC1959
Expansion is about streaming and eyeballs not the declining cable world of markets. Like it or not, the taters pull a lot of eyeballs to their games. Way more than us.
76MAAC…Right NOW…Maybe they do (I seriously doubt it’s significant) What happens when they start to lose 3 and 4 games a year in the SEC. They won’t bring s#*t! They will just be taking food off of everybody’s table.

76MAAC…Right NOW…Maybe they do (I seriously doubt it’s significant) What happens when they start to lose 3 and 4 games a year in the SEC. They won’t bring s#*t! They will just be taking food off of everybody’s table.
Contracts are signed for a long time and right now it’s about obtaining the most value for the negotiation table and the now they have a large brand. I’m not pushing for them to join by any means. I’m just trying to be objective and not look at it from a rivalry standpoint because in the end espn and fox don’t give a shit about rivalries they want eyes and money.

Reactions: GCDC1959
Contracts are signed for a long time and right now it’s about obtaining the most value for the negotiation table and the now they have a large brand. I’m not pushing for them to join by any means. I’m just trying to be objective and not look at it from a rivalry standpoint because in the end espn and fox don’t give a shit about rivalries they want eyes and money.
This is objective. UNC and UVA bring a lot more eyes over a long period of time. Plus…Two great men’s basketball programs to improve the league.

Now, if I wanted to view it through a rivalry lens, I would say that the only real advantage we have over them right now from a football standpoint is…we are in the SEC and they aren’t. The money difference will take a toll on them eventually. That only advantage would be gone!

This is objective. UNC and UVA bring a lot more eyes over a long period of time. Plus…Two great men’s basketball programs to improve the league.

Now, if I wanted to view it through a rivalry lens, I would say that the only real advantage we have over them right now from a football standpoint is…we are in the SEC and they aren’t. The money difference will take a toll on them eventually. That only advantage would be gone!

I've been hearing about that money advantage for decades, it hasn't born fruit.

I think k the only real impact would be if clemson was left in an acc that was raided. Then, it's a G5 conference instead if what is now P5. Imho

True but I think you are naive in thinking that if the powers to be at espn and sec felt like it would make them more money to have clemson in the sec, USC would really get a say so. I feel like they like just bulldog us into making sure they got in. Much like texas and texas am.

I don’t 100% agree with this. That GOR is attached to the espn contract. Espn is behind the sec expansion. I believe that if espn wants some acc teams in the sec, they will make it happen. Like someone has already said it’s not about tv markets anymore it’s about eyes on the screen. Unfortunately clemson is one of the most watch football teams in the last ten years and have a large brand when it comes to college football. They are attractive to both the big ten and sec. That is if the big ten starts to accept non AAU members. Not to mention the GSP area is the 35 largest network in the country. Clemson will be in the first group to leave the ACC I believe. I like some others don’t believe that GOR is as concrete as some suspect. If the acc adds teams the GOR is voided as well.

Some can argue it but there is a reason they are mentioned in almost every single expansion article now. It just sucks it’s them.
Well, it didn't turn out that for with Texas and Oklahoma. They had to let their GOR end before they could participate in the SEC. And its up to the ACC to enforce, not ESPN.

Being mentioned in an article means little. And I doubt the B1G will ever accept a non-AAU member other than Notre Dame....to much money in the BTAA and they will want to expand that and there are plenty of available AAU schools that will allow them to do that and schools that would love to get a piece of the research money pie.

Expansion is about streaming and eyeballs not the declining cable world of markets. Like it or not, the taters pull a lot of eyeballs to their games. Way more than us.
That doesn't matter. We are protected by prior membership. The SEC will pass right over UPC if they can get UNC and/or UVa. That probably applies also to N.C. State and/or Va. Tech.

Well, it didn't turn out that for with Texas and Oklahoma. They had to let their GOR end before they could participate in the SEC. And its up to the ACC to enforce, not ESPN.

Being mentioned in an article means little. And I doubt the B1G will ever accept a non-AAU member other than Notre Dame....to much money in the BTAA and they will want to expand that and there are plenty of available AAU schools that will allow them to do that and schools that would love to get a piece of the research money pie.
Texas had the money to pay their ransom; OU did not. It boils down to that. And who knows, maybe with things moving along as they are, something might give on that front sooner than it now appears.

Do you really believe that the Presidents of UNC and UVA would turn down an offer from the B1G and all the research money that the BTAA controls? This decision will not be made by the ADs.

Texas had the money to pay their ransom; OU did not. It boils down to that. And who knows, maybe with things moving along as they are, something might give on that front sooner than it now appears.
Agree. If UND rejects full ACC membership in all this, it could happen very fast as the bigger ACC schools will then scramble to find a more stabile conference. There really is very little that the ACC can do to expand as they are pretty much hemmed in.

That doesn't matter. We are protected by prior membership. The SEC will pass right over UPC if they can get UNC and/or UVa. That probably applies also to N.C. State and/or Va. Tech.
I think your wrong here. It’s interesting you see Clemson being the biggest team in the table right behind notre dame. I guess all those people don’t know what they are talking about. Also clemson being in the top ten most viewed teams in the last ten years means nothing. Clemson is not getting left out to die in expansion. To much money on that table.

If this thing goes to 2 25-30 team conferences I don’t see how the big ten will only expand to AAU schools. Fox wants money and doesn’t care about all that. I think they would force their hand. Especially if the sec man moves for espn.

If this thing goes to 2 25-30 team conferences I don’t see how the big ten will only expand to AAU schools. Fox wants money and doesn’t care about all that. I think they would force their hand. Especially if the sec man moves for espn.
The B1G could get Stanford, Berkeley, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, UNC, UVA, Duke, GaTech....and also more than likely, Notre Dame. That is plenty enough...they could also add Utah and Arizona if they wanted. As I have mentioned, for large research institutions participation in the BTAA research money will be hard to turn down.

Do you really believe that the Presidents of UNC and UVA would turn down an offer from the B1G and all the research money that the BTAA controls? This decision will not be made by the ADs.
Rogue…How do I know what UNC and UVA will do? I just said that they make sense. Clemson and FSU do NOT!

Rogue…How do I know what UNC and UVA will do? I just said that they make sense. Clemson and FSU do NOT!
How do clemson and FSU not make sense please do tell. Both are southern schools with a very large following. Both also bring many eyes to a tv with brand name football teams. This isn’t about viewing territory. What am I’m missing?

Unc I’ll give you but UVA brings more eyes than Clemons and FSU? Come on man.

Reactions: boykinlp
All I am saying is that everyone seems to want to look at this purely through the prism of athletics and for some schools (assuming they have a choice) I don't think that will be the only or even primary consideration. Not much separates the SEC and the B1G as far as athletics....both are powerhouses.

All I am saying is that everyone seems to want to look at this purely through the prism of athletics and for some schools (assuming they have a choice) I don't think that will be the only or even primary consideration. Not much separates the SEC and the B1G as far as athletics....both are powerhouses.
Rogue you always chime in on legal matters so I have a question. The b1g says it’s waiting on notre dame so I have a question on that front. Notre dame has all teams playing in the acc except football. They obviously wouldn’t leave those teams if football moved. So would they have to break the GOR to do so?

Rogue you always chime in on legal matters so I have a question. The b1g says it’s waiting on notre dame so I have a question on that front. Notre dame has all teams playing in the acc except football. They obviously wouldn’t leave those teams if football moved. So would they have to break the GOR to do so?

No expert, but I've read in a couple places that a certain number of ACC schools can vote to break up and eliminate the GOR in the same step.

Meaning, if a threshold is hit with teams leaving for the B10 and SEC at the same time, it kills the GOR.

Since UND isn't a member for football, I don't know whether they are a part of the GORs when it comes to football especially since UND keeps all its revenues from the NBC contract.

No expert, but I've read in a couple places that a certain number of ACC schools can vote to break up and eliminate the GOR in the same step.

Meaning, if a threshold is hit with teams leaving for the B10 and SEC at the same time, it kills the GOR.
That's interesting....wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the GOR.

EDIT: From a B/R article its 75% of the membership.

Last edited:
Since UND isn't a member for football, I don't know whether they are a part of the GORs when it comes to football especially since UND keeps all its revenues from the NBC contract.
So I read the GOR, they defiantly signed it but it may only control everything minus football.

Reactions: rogue cock
Rogue…Not true. SEC wins a lot more Championships than the Big TEN. They are not a Powerhouse in Athletics. They are in money to the Conference.

How do clemson and FSU not make sense please do tell. Both are southern schools with a very large following. Both also bring many eyes to a tv with brand name football teams. This isn’t about viewing territory. What am I’m missing?

Unc I’ll give you but UVA brings more eyes than Clemons and FSU? Come on man.
Rogue…Over the long haul, they don’t really bring many new eyes to the TV. FSU hasn’t been relevant for some time in football. Clemson will in the short term, but I’m not sure over the long haul. If Clemson starts to lose more in the SEC, they won’t be any different than us. We already have the State of SC. Tallahassee isn’t that far from Gainesville, so they add “zero”.

Rogue…Over the long haul, they don’t really bring many new eyes to the TV. FSU hasn’t been relevant for some time in football. Clemson will in the short term, but I’m not sure over the long haul. If Clemson starts to lose more in the SEC, they won’t be any different than us. We already have the State of SC. Tallahassee isn’t that far from Gainesville, so they add “zero”.
I see what your saying just doesn’t seem people who have a better idea of how this all works agree.

Brilliant move by the teams if they have that out option in the agreement. Makes sense. You get a handful of teams wanting to leave at the same time, you've got league issues not team issues.

Reactions: rogue cock
???? I didn't make that argument.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT