ADVERTISEMENT

Conference expansion

Rogue…Not true. SEC wins a lot more Championships than the Big TEN. They are not a Powerhouse in Athletics. They are in money to the Conference.
If that's your sole criteria for powerhouse, that's fine. But if that's the case, wouldn't the SEC contract be more lucrative than the B1G contract all those years? I think you'd find that most consider both conferences powerhouses.

It’s all about the money. I’ve always said Colleges and education are no different. These are for profit businesses. students and athletes are secondary at best.

If that's your sole criteria for powerhouse, that's fine. But if that's the case, wouldn't the SEC contract be more lucrative than the B1G contract all those years? I think you'd find that most consider both conferences powerhouses.
No…Because the Big Ten is in the Midwest, where there is a larger population. Lot more TVs! I don’t consider them a powerhouse in athletics, but that’s fine if you do. They don’t fair very well in Bowl games against the SEC…Either.

You asked me why they don’t make sense. That’s why! UNC and UVA bring in new Regions for more TV viewership.
I never said they didn't make sense. I said they may have other options that are more attractive for other non-athletic reasons. NCSU and VaTech also make sense....and they may not have the same options for reasons other than athletics.

I never said they didn't make sense. I said they may have other options that are more attractive for other non-athletic reasons. NCSU and VaTech also make sense....and they may not have the same options for reasons other than athletics.
YOU asked me to explain why Clemson and FSU don’t make sense…over UNC and UVA. That’s what I was explaining. If Clemson ends up twisting in wind, I don’t give a damn. They stabbed us in the back during our time in the ACC.

YOU asked me to explain why Clemson and FSU don’t make sense…over UNC and UVA. That’s what I was explaining. If Clemson ends up twisting in wind, I don’t give a damn. They stabbed us in the back during our time in the ACC.
??? No I didn't. I agree with you on Clemson and FSU not making sense.

USCBIRDS said:
Someone needs to explain…what does FSU and Clemson bring to the SEC? The SEC already owns South Carolina and Florida. They will just be slicing into the pie. I get considering UNC and UVA. Those schools would be adding to TV exposure and increasing the pie.
Think UNC and UVA and probably Duke will be lured by the research money of the BTAA. SEC would be an easy fit for NCSU and VaTech though....which would benefit both conferences.

Agree that the SEC adds little by adding FSU and Clemson. If the ACC is cannibalized UND will probably end up in the B1G...and they may anyway due to old rivalries. SEC should get one of the AZ schools also.

I asked you that not rogue.

Reactions: rogue cock
??? No I didn't. I agree with you on Clemson and FSU not making sense.

Think UNC and UVA and probably Duke will be lured by the research money of the BTAA. SEC would be an easy fit for NCSU and VaTech though....which would benefit both conferences.

Agree that the SEC adds little by adding FSU and Clemson. If the ACC is cannibalized UND will probably end up in the B1G...and they may anyway due to old rivalries. SEC should get one of the AZ schools also.
My apologies…Rouge. I should have known it was an individual, that is always defending the Taters on here. Clemson and FSU will just be robbing money from the Conference.

76MAAC…Right NOW…Maybe they do (I seriously doubt it’s significant) What happens when they start to lose 3 and 4 games a year in the SEC. They won’t bring s#*t! They will just be taking food off of everybody’s table.

You mean like the bottom half of the current SEC?

That doesn't matter. We are protected by prior membership. The SEC will pass right over UPC if they can get UNC and/or UVa. That probably applies also to N.C. State and/or Va. Tech.
Did they pass over Texas for the benefit of Texas A&M? The Aggies have more clout in the SEC than we can even dream about.

Seriously, exclude Missouri and give me one other SEC school where you believe we have more clout.

My apologies…Rouge. I should have known it was an individual, that is always defending the Taters on here. Clemson and FSU will just be robbing money from the Conference.

One doesn't have to be a Tater to take pause at this statement, considering it could be said about South carolina too.

One doesn't have to be a Tater to take pause at this statement, considering it could be said about South carolina too.
Does it get more illogical than this comment? We’re already in the Conference. We’re not the ones begging to get in.

Bo Schembechler and Woody Hayes must be spinning in their graves. I can't believe we're soon going to have a "conference" with over 20 teams. What a sickening path college sports, especially football, have taken.
Damn right. And imagine being ANY other kind of athlete in a sport that plays 3 or 4 games/meets/matches a week. I've never been more uninterested in college sports. I'll follow our guys but the whole thing is absurd.

That’s not relevant! They are already Conference members. Why invite a team that doesn’t move the financial needle?
How do you know they don’t move the financial needle? Because most of CFB does not agree.

Clemson is relevant to the SEC. Remember, football drives the money train. And Clemson has a national football brand these days. And I could see adding Miami. UNC? They would have their choice of either probably just because of the UNC brand nationally. But I see them aligning with the Big10 over the SEC. Some say NC State to get into NC for SEC. But it isn't 1990 where regional TV ruled the day. Every game worth seeing is on TV nationwide. Even a lot that aren't worth seeing. So there is no TV footprint that needs to be brought in the fold for extra exposure these days.

Reactions: Lurker123
Does it get more illogical than this comment? We’re already in the Conference. We’re not the ones begging to get in.

This is where I just acknowledge that you're just allowing emotions and rivalry to drive your thinking.

Have a happy fourth of july!

Did they pass over Texas for the benefit of Texas A&M? The Aggies have more clout in the SEC than we can even dream about.

Seriously, exclude Missouri and give me one other SEC school where you believe we have more clout.
No, they turned to A&M because the SEC knew they wanted to get out from under the thumb of Texas and their undue control of the Big 12. They also knew that Texas considered itself the dominant force where they were and wasn't thinking about making a move. I don't really understand your point about clout as it relates to us. I wasn't asserting any clout.

I think your wrong here. It’s interesting you see Clemson being the biggest team in the table right behind notre dame. I guess all those people don’t know what they are talking about. Also clemson being in the top ten most viewed teams in the last ten years means nothing. Clemson is not getting left out to die in expansion. To much money on that table.
I'm saying that, if the next level is 20 teams, they are by no means assured of a spot in the SEC at that point. If it happens, it will only be because certain other schools were unobtainable. If you see them in there, it will be because someone else went in another direction. They are not key to reaching what the objective really is.

Agree. If UND rejects full ACC membership in all this, it could happen very fast as the bigger ACC schools will then scramble to find a more stabile conference. There really is very little that the ACC can do to expand as they are pretty much hemmed in.
They're screwed without the bead-stringers.

This is where I just acknowledge that you're just allowing emotions and rivalry to drive your thinking.

Have a happy fourth of july!
You Hillbillies are completely devoid of logic. What the networks want are more TVs tuning into the SEC games. We will have the same number of TVs on, whether Clemson is in the Conference or not. What’s the benefit for the other Conference teams? You are the one emotional, because you fear being left behind.

You Hillbillies are completely devoid of logic. What the networks want are more TVs tuning into the SEC games. We will have the same number of TVs on, whether Clemson is in the Conference or not. What’s the benefit for the other Conference teams? You are the one emotional, because you fear being left behind.

Ah yes, anyone who disagrees is a tater.
That's a completely logical response.

And clemson being a top ten most viewed team (per poster above) obviously means no one would tune in to watch them. How could I ever think you were being overly emotional?

Alright, Lurker, which one are you?

beverly-hillbillies-did-you-catch-this-character-making-sneak-appearance-in-closing-credits.jpg

You think the ACC conference is boring now? Let them lose one or two teams like FSU, Miami or Clemson to the SEC. They need to keep all three and make Notre Dame an offer they can’t refuse to stay just…….. relevant…..

Last edited:
You think the ACC conference is boring now? Let them lose one or two teams like FSU, Miami or Clemson to the SEC. They need to keep all three and make Notre Dame an offer they can’t refuse to stay just…….. relevant…..

Yeah, they need to make a move. Sitting still should not be an option for them.

This is objective. UNC and UVA bring a lot more eyes over a long period of time. Plus…Two great men’s basketball programs to improve the league.

Now, if I wanted to view it through a rivalry lens, I would say that the only real advantage we have over them right now from a football standpoint is…we are in the SEC and they aren’t. The money difference will take a toll on them eventually. That only advantage would be gone!
All the above is true and that is why I bet the Clemson and espn lawyers are deconstructing the GOR right now. Clemson will never sit by and let us get that big of a money difference over them. Clemson too the SEC within two years…bet on it.

All the above is true and that is why I bet the Clemson and espn lawyers are deconstructing the GOR right now. Clemson will never sit by and let us get that big of a money difference over them. Clemson too the SEC within two years…bet on it.

I'm not sold that is all true. First, I think we can agree that football is king, and basketball is very secondary. (Just look at the acc deal now).

Putting aside rivalry glasses, I'm not sure I see UNC and UVA as pulling in a lot of eyes. I have seen some put forth that tv markets are no big deal with the advent of streaming, and that makes sense to me. And if you look at long term eyes on games, Clemson surpasses both of those teams.

I'm also not sold on the SEC money advantage. That has been talked about for about 30 years. Maybe with the differences between conferences increasing, it might be more of a factor.

...I'm also not sold on the SEC money advantage. That has been talked about for about 30 years. Maybe with the differences between conferences increasing, it might be more of a factor.
It's THE driving factor right now because the opportunities for most schools aspiring to be in one of the Big Two conferences are going to close eventually.

It's THE driving factor right now because the opportunities for most schools aspiring to be in one of the Big Two conferences are going to close eventually.

I agree it's the motivating factor for wanting to jump onto the b10 or sec, I just don't see the huge advantage in the past 30 years that was supposed to be there.

The money difference was supposed to leave clemson in the dust 30 years ago. Granted, the gap between the two scenarios may be growing ever wider.

You asked me why they don’t make sense. That’s why! UNC and UVA bring in new Regions for more TV viewership.

I don’t see UVA bringing as many eyes as Miami and Florida state and the data backs that up. It’s not about regions it’s about eyes coast to coast.

ADVERTISEMENT