ADVERTISEMENT

Could Elliott upset the apple cart Saturday if he upsets Tennessee????

First of all, I hope the Cocks beat Tennessee. Secondly, I sure as heck don't want Shawn Elliott promoted to full time head coach.

I'm with you...

But, if he end up leaving Ward & Hoke home and we win... You just can't ignore the fact he could be a great head coach for someone and end up bitting us in the ass...

He needs to take us bowling. Then maybe. 6 wins. Maybe except 5 wins if one it against the taters.

No on Elliott. He needs to go up through the ranks. Coordinator position elsewhere or a HC position at a smaller school.

A word of caution, we have to be thinking long term. Even if we were to win out keeping this staff is NOT what is needed long term. Elliott is Ed Orgeron without the recruiting prowess. Socal killed it for the 4 or so games he coached as they were playing on an emotional high. We all saw what happened at Ole Miss when Orgeron got his chance. The slate must be wiped clean. If he were not on the USC staff already but was the oline coach at any other SEC school would he get an interview? Would you like Florida's or Tennessee oline coach for head coach? Hell no, this staff has been a disaster and there have been pages long threads on this very site as to whether Elliott should be gone as line coach as they have performed like crap too many times to count. New beginnings are called for...

I don't understand this love for Elliott. He is a great guy...from my hometown....but he is a few years away from a HC position IMO. He may have learned what NOT to do but he was still a part of the mess that was created here. He evaluates players....not so good...or he coaches players...not so good...now you want him to evaluate coaches to bring aboard and have the final say in who we sign....nah...I'll pass on that.

Reactions: rogue cock
A word of caution, we have to be thinking long term. Even if we were to win out keeping this staff is NOT what is needed long term. Elliott is Ed Orgeron without the recruiting prowess. Socal killed it for the 4 or so games he coached as they were playing on an emotional high. We all saw what happened at Ole Miss when Orgeron got his chance. The slate must be wiped clean. If he were not on the USC staff already but was the oline coach at any other SEC school would he get an interview? Would you like Florida's or Tennessee oline coach for head coach? Hell no, this staff has been a disaster and there have been pages long threads on this very site as to whether Elliott should be gone as line coach as they have performed like crap too many times to count. New beginnings are called for...

Those are excellent points.

If he wins out, then MAYBE, but a five (or less) win season, No way.. I like him, but he is not YET HBC material (IMO)
I hear the sentiment on this; but come on! He had nothing to do with the first 5 games...now he has to pull us out of the fire Vs 3 TOP TEN TEAMS (INCLUDING #1) + a road game at UT...? Really? Maybe we could put him in a do or die game Vs Brady & the Patriots!

I don't think he's the man for this job right now; but it is not fair to set the bar that high. If it was really that high by Tanner, I think Elliott would hve never accepted the gig. I would not take Nick Saban and this team into the 6 game run Elliott has been given and expect 5+ wins.

Reactions: CliffordII
If he had shown the same enthusiasm coaching the offensive line over the last few years, he might just be at the top of the list to be HC.

Reactions: G-C-Gamecock
Respectfully disagree. He must get us to a bowl, win it, & most of all BEAT CLEM if he wants any chance at the job!!!!
If he gets to a bowl, wins it, and beats Clempson. He gets my vote... and my season ticket dollars. Now if we do go to a bowl but don't beat Clempson, I'll buy him $100 gift card to the Melting Pot.

I hear the sentiment on this; but come on! He had nothing to do with the first 5 games...now he has to pull us out of the fire Vs 3 TOP TEN TEAMS (INCLUDING #1) + a road game at UT...? Really? Maybe we could put him in a do or die game Vs Brady & the Patriots!

I don't think he's the man for this job right now; but it is not fair to set the bar that high. If it was really that high by Tanner, I think Elliott would hve never accepted the gig. I would not take Nick Saban and this team into the 6 game run Elliott has been given and expect 5+ wins.
So now you are advocating lowering the bar for a coach ? Elliott is in a no lose situation and him taking the interim job will serve well on a resume down the road. Elliott would have taken the interim job regardless of what Tanner may have said to him. He's not ready...I think Tanner knows it....and we will have a new coach. If Tennessee beats us, then Elliott's name will be taken off the fans list. I don't think it was ever on any list that matters.

According to our top 5. Elliot is not even in the top 5 and is also below Charlie Strong for the HC job. That alone speaks volumes. The pro-Elliot crowd is starting to get ridiculous.

Hahahahah, I we won out I wouldn't want Elliott as the head coach. He is offering 2* players!

Elliott will not win another game except possibly the Citadel. The Citadel has a good quarterback and will give us a game.

He most definitely had something to do with the first 5 games! Everyone on the staff and the team they recruited to take the field has something to do with the first 5 games. So I don't care whether it's fair or not. If Elliot wants to impress me, win out, then we'll talk.

Seriously doubt he has much of a chance regardless of how the season finishes because I don't think they would want risk a long-term contact ...If he stayed on and started off slow next year, it could be a disaster for the program....And no LT contract is not going to fly in terms of recruiting.

With that said, thought he did a really nice job with the offense last week on the road. It will be interesting to see how they perform tomorrow.

He most definitely had something to do with the first 5 games! Everyone on the staff and the team they recruited to take the field has something to do with the first 5 games. So I don't care whether it's fair or not. If Elliot wants to impress me, win out, then we'll talk.
.................................................................................................................
If you guys are saying Coach Elliot HAS to win out AND THEN YOU MIGHT consider him as head coach, seeing the helluva a last 6 games he has been thrown into the fire with--in the middle of a football week, you are CRAZY.

BTW, Coach Elliot also did quite well at Appalachian State just before coming to Columbia.
I know he helped them get to THREE CONSECUTIVE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES. 'Nuff said.

Reactions: Tigerof66
.................................................................................................................
If you guys are saying Coach Elliot HAS to win out AND THEN YOU MIGHT consider him as head coach, seeing the helluva a last 6 games he has been thrown into the fire with--in the middle of a football week, you are CRAZY.

BTW, Coach Elliot also did quite well at Appalachian State just before coming to Columbia.
I know he helped them get to THREE CONSECUTIVE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES. 'Nuff said.
He was a position coach....that's all he has been even at App State. Nuff said.

You're exactly right. "Appalachian State"...'nuff said.

I completely agree with Rod Dangerfield.
Pulling for Carolina to beat Tennessee's ass tomorrow.
Hoping somehow we win out!
Dec 1 I hope this entire staff is GONE.

Reactions: IPOC369
if we go to the national championship game.....oh wait nevermind

He was a mere assistant coach at the same school that gave us Sparky Woods. 'Nuff said.

I don't care if we set the NCAA record, and beat Clemson 223-0, he is not ready to be a HC at a big time school, and in no way are we the South Carolina of old that needs to settle for anyone. Great job, great facilities, plenty of cash, and the BEST fans. Furthermore, while it appears GA is the sole play caller, and the O is improving, why is the D still so bad, why hasn't anything on that side of the ball changed at all in 3 weeks? Unless Ray has tied CSE's hands, heads should be rolling on the D staff if he actually has any hope of keeping this job. Need a clean slate, and if our new HC wants to keep Joe and GA, cool, if not, cool. Think of what these 11 win teams could've done with a full assistant staff on the level of Lawing?

0% chance of that happening. The Tenn QB will put up Heisman numbers and be an All-American after the game because of our pitiful defense and the defensive staff. They will score 40 easy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT