ADVERTISEMENT

Could Fuente be the next Dan Hawkins?

DarkCock

Jan 21, 2006
Hawkins was 53-11 at Boise State and then bombed at Colorado.

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2015/10/20/9574553/where-will-justin-fuente-be-coaching-in-2016
  • South Carolina: This could be a match made in football heaven as a hungry coach takes over a program that has the chance to be very good on any given season. The biggest question for Fuente should be whether he wants the job. South Carolina has a glass ceiling of just how good they can be in the SEC. This job has Dan Hawkins to Colorado written all over it for me.
This hire is too important and Fuente might be too big of a risk. Ray really needs to consider a coach like Rich Rodriquez who has coached at 3 different power 5 schools.

Rich Rod bombed at Michigan. No guarantee with him either. As posted in every thread: every hire is a risk.

Reactions: rogue cock
Rich Rod bombed at Michigan. No guarantee with him either. As posted in every thread: every hire is a risk.
What you said, and then some.

Take any reasonable candidate (sorry, Saban ain't coming), and you can find reasons to think he is a no-brainer, and you can find reasons to worry that he might fail. And all of the reasons are legitimate.

Of the four names that seem to have quickly risen to the top of fan speculation -- Fuentes, Herman, Rodriguez and Smart (listed alphabetically, not in order of preference, of which I have none) -- I could live with any of them. Each has his strengths. Each has his question marks. And, obviously, the coach has to want to come here. I don't automatically assume that the candidates we like will like us equally.

Reactions: cockbetcher
tumbleweed.jpg

I don't think we could go wrong with Few-en-TEE (Mack Brown pronunciation) or Kirby Smart.

Well, I guess you can always go wrong. But these seem the best bets to me. And I doubt Fuente wants to stay at Memphis if he's losing a lot of talent this year. His iron is never going to be hotter than it is now.

Smart has potential to be our guy for years. He'll be hungry as a new HC and if he wants to use us as a stepping stone, he'll need to be very successful here. That'll probably take a couple seasons to build the foundation. If I had to hire, Smart would be the top of my list. Then give him free reign to hire/fire whomever he wants.

Hawkins was fired after 5 games as the head coach of the Montreal Alouettes.
You can't use professional football, or whatever that is in Canada, as a barometer for college. I was just showing you that, as of now, Colorado is a dumpster fire, and it doesn't matter which coach is there.

Either way, Chris Peterson was the secret at Boise.

You can't use professional football, or whatever that is in Canada, as a barometer for college. I was just showing you that, as of now, Colorado is a dumpster fire, and it doesn't matter which coach is there.

Either way, Chris Peterson was the secret at Boise.

Oh, I don't dispute Peterson was the secret at Boise. My point about Hawkins is he went from the hot coaching prospect to out of coaching in 5 years. Like another poster said, since Saban and Meyer aren't coming here, every potential candidate is a risk.

Oh, I don't dispute Peterson was the secret at Boise. My point about Hawkins is he went from the hot coaching prospect to out of coaching in 5 years. Like another poster said, since Saban and Meyer aren't coming here, every potential candidate is a risk.
Agreed. We're going to have to take a shot on a guy who is either unproven as a head coach (Herman, Smart) or unproven as a recruiter (Fuente).

Agreed. We're going to have to take a shot on a guy who is either unproven as a head coach (Herman, Smart) or unproven as a recruiter (Fuente).
Flordia took a chance on an unproven recruiter in Urban Meyer Ya want proof look @ his recruiting class rankings @ Utah,I know it is Flodia,but that's not my point,the point I have is he has to have something to sell!!

I agree. Most programs replace the departing coach by addressing that coach's weakness. We all acknowledge that Steve Spurrier's weakness was recruiting. Therefore, I believe our next Head Coach will be either Tom Herman or Kirby Smart.

Reactions: uscbeckham
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT