ADVERTISEMENT

Could it Happen? Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC??

HAHAHAHA.
That would make a lot of sense wouldn't it, so they may just do it. Money talks.
I think it would be great for the conference.

Reactions: boykinlp
King, I just saw that as well. I am curious who the scheduling would go. Do you still have two divisions? Maybe Allbarn and Bama come to the east? Mizzery goes to the west? I think it may be a sign of a 9 game league schedule, possibly 10 ? It would extend the league footprint into OK. It would certainly create a killer league where a team would rarely go undefeated.

Reactions: boykinlp
King, I just saw that as well. I am curious who the scheduling would go. Do you still have two divisions? Maybe Allbarn and Bama come to the east? Mizzery goes to the west? I think it may be a sign of a 9 game league schedule, possibly 10 ? It would extend the league footprint into OK. It would certainly create a killer league where a team would rarely go undefeated.
Well, I think for sure we would finally do the right thing and go to nine games. I also think that, if the ACC follows suit, we might need to make overtures to get back in there. With the NIL situation, any hope we ever had if competing for an SEC championship in football will evaporate.

I expect you will see four 16-team conferences. Such a framework was discussed years ago. I could see a new oversight organization being formed around that landscape.
It's just nonsense. 14 team conferences are already too unwieldy. Some would say 12 is too many. I literally hate these people...I just seethe with hate for them and what they've done to college football.

It's just nonsense. 14 team conferences are already too unwieldy. Some would say 12 is too many. I literally hate these people...I just seethe with hate for them and what they've done to college football.
This is sports. At most it is of secondary importance, and that is being generous. I myself love the mayhem when the consequences are so trivial.

Reactions: OneIsTheWarrior
Would Texas be willing to no longer be a big fish in a small pond like they are in the B12? Because they will have no pull in the SEC. they’ll have more than we do, make no mistake.

Texas is the drama queen of college football. I would hate to see their long term influence on the league. Oklahoma ? Would love to see them in. They just look like an SEC program.

Reactions: redrogers
Texas is the drama queen of college football. I would hate to see their long term influence on the league. Oklahoma ? Would love to see them in. They just look like an SEC program.
I seriously doubt that Texas will join the SEC and try to hold a gun to the SEC's head. It appears that Texas needs the SEC more than SEC needing Texas.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I said
I seriously doubt that Texas will join the SEC and try to hold a gun to the SEC's head. It appears that Texas needs the SEC more than SEC needing Texas.
I said "long term", not immediately. Give them a few years in the league and you will start to see them try to influence things. Anyone in the Big 12 or old Southwest Conference will tell you the same thing.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I said

I said "long term", not immediately. Give them a few years in the league and you will start to see them try to influence things. Anyone in the Big 12 or old Southwest Conference will tell you the same thing.
You could be right. I just hope it works out. Better entertainment to see Texas annually going against the SEC west teams rather than watching Texas play Kansas and Baylor.

I said

This is accurate. I know the SEC has a lot of money. But Texas does too. Let them start winning, bringing in excitement and all of a sudden they have a lot more power than you think.

aTm will stop it just as we would stop Clemson; Florida, FSU; KY, Louisville and so forth. Too many unhappy campers. They/we may not stop it but there would be a lot of Hell raised. Then you have the Oklahoma/OSU scenario. The state of Oklahoma will not want them split up. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Jbouton2
aTm will stop it just as we would stop Clemson; Florida, FSU; KY, Louisville and so forth. Too many unhappy campers. They/we may not stop it but there would be a lot of Hell raised. Then you have the Oklahoma/OSU scenario. The state of Oklahoma will not want them split up. Just my 2 cents.
If UT wants to align with any conference my guess it would be the B1G or the PAC-12 as mcuh for academic reasons as athletic. I could see both Oklahoma and Okie State comng to the SEC.

Honestly now, is it possible for texas to even consider letting go of that exuberant self-esteem and actually even consider themselves to be an equal member of a conference that they by no means even own in the slightest???
I don't know, but they seem to be the ones doing the asking.

I don’t think people are really grasping what an effect NIL is going have on conference affiliation. The “other” factors that led a kid to chose one school over another (outside of program prestige and playing time) such as fit, location, and even academics are out the window. It’s where the kid can make the most money. Kids will want to play in conferences where the most money is being paid across the board. The winners will be the Big 10 and SEC. Oklahoma and Texas, probably see the writing on the wall. I can foresee the day of a single super conference by major sport. National brand teams such as ND, Michigan, Miami, and perhaps SoCal will benefit from NIL tremendously in football. The latter three have struggled to get the elite talent because they haven’t won big lately, but with NIL that won’t matter so much anymore. It’s going to create large talent and quality gaps from top to bottom within some conferences and that will lead to realignment I’m afraid.

Reactions: king ward
Seems as if the commish tried to blow it off and Oklahoma said they don't comment on rumors. Which tells me something is going on behind the scenes whether it ever comes to fruition, or not. But it would be a coup for the conference, and for Oklahoma and Texas, if it came to be. But I can guarantee you that the powers that be in the USC athletic department don't want to see it. Any way the reconfigured the divisions, it wouldn't be good for USC. You would be adding a team to the conference that is already elite, and another one that easily could be. But then again the powers that be might be all for it. Figure they are much more concerned with cashing that SEC check than winning, and these two coming to the conference makes that check bigger.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
Sure, TX can come to the SEC. As long as they understand that...

- There will no longer be a Longhorn Network. It's dead.

- There will be no "Horns Up/Horns Down" Taunting nonsense. If you are stupid enough to flash handsigns. You will be abused for it.

- That ignorant "The Eyes of Texas" song does NOT come with you. You will not bring that racist bullcrap into our conference.

IOW, you are going to prove that you REALLY want to come to the SEC. And, that once you are here you are going to sit down, shut up and mind your manners.

That whiny, nattering, entitled idiocy you pulled in the Big12 isn't going to fly here.

If you want to be in the SEC, fine. But, you are going to do things our way and how we tell you to do it. You aren't dictating Jack-Squat here.

Reactions: Legendary Cock

- There will be no "Horns Up/Horns Down" Taunting nonsense. If you are stupid enough to flash handsigns. You will be abused for it.

- That ignorant "The Eyes of Texas" song does NOT come with you. You will not bring that racist bullcrap into our conference.

IOW, you are going to prove that you REALLY want to come to the SEC. And, that once you are here you are going to sit down, shut up and mind your manners.

That whiny, nattering, entitled idiocy you pulled in the Big12 isn't going to fly here.

If you want to be in the SEC, fine. But, you are going to do things our way and how we tell you to do it. You aren't dictating Jack-Squat here.
A little harsh. But I kinda like it.

That is the big news. Texas has balked at giving up the LHN in the past. Evidently they have told the SEC giving it up is now on the table. Texas isn't giving up the Eyes of Texas and it isn't racist. I doubt Texas ever minds its manners in the way you want them to. Nor do they follow orders very well. OU is the one who flashes handsigns taunting and derogatory of Texas. Texas doesn't taunt that way. The SEC knows who Texas is, they will offer or not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT