ADVERTISEMENT

Covid19

OP, thanks for you post!

I know a few dozen that's had it. No fatalities. Kids up to elderly. Some much worse than others.
Most had a rough go. One description was "torment".
I still have a cough from it. Yesterday was my first day back at work and I felt more weak and tired than anything. A few posts earlier, someone said they are tired of seeing people say "take it seriously". I didn't mean any harm by it, but seeing as I've caught it, my mother had it for 3 weeks, multiple people at my workplace have tested positive, people are not taking it seriously at all. I know that people say masks don't work, but we must assume as though everyone we come in contact with is carrying this virus, so people should wear a mask out of respect. However, people get so uptight about it.

...people are not taking it seriously at all.
I wish I had the correct answer. I see lots of pictures on Facebook of friends with their families in close quarters and most aren't wearing masks. Yet, there are documented incidents of whole families getting it as well as groups from gatherings.

Glad you're feeling better and getting well! Just in time for the holidays!

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Good afternoon everyone. Just thought I’d post about my experience with Covid. On October 15 I started with a low grade fever and chills. On the 16th I went and got tested. Over the weekend I lost my sense of taste and smell, had a fever, bad back ache, no appetite, upset stomach, bad cough and fatigue. I got my taste and smell back midweek of last week and haven’t ran a fever since Saturday. I know at a time where people think this virus is overblown, I assure you it’s real. It affects everyone differently. My wife got tested as a precaution and her results were negative. Just take it seriously is all I can say because it’s the sickest I’ve ever felt.
Wife and I had it a couple of months ago. Outside of some strange leg aches, I was asymptomatic (I'm 55). My wife had a fever that lasted about 12 days and a couple of days were she couldn't keep down food. Overall, we did okay with it.

Do we know how accurate testing is from those tests that take multiple days vs instant results? I’ve been tested once but will need to be tested again more than likely.
Yes, the send off PCR test are generally greater than 99% accurate. The instant test is accurate if you test positive but has as high as a 50% false negative rate.

My niece's mother-in-law has serious cancer, has gone through rounds of chemotherapy and has extremely weakened immunity. This summer, she caught COVID (at hospitals and doctors offices a lot) and we were all terrified. She was mildly sick for a week and then over it. Missed about 7 days of work (she works from home). Just fine now, except for cancer issues.

I tell ya it's weird how it picks and chooses. My wife's 94 year old grandmother caught it while in her nursing home and did just fine. Similar to your niece's MIL, a lady in our neighborhood in her 70's, who also has cancer, had it and survived and her only symptom was a mild cough. 🤷‍♀️

Whether masks have 100% or 0% efficacy, I’ve yet to hear a solid argument as to why someone wouldn’t wear one. It makes no sense to me. What is there to lose by wearing a mask other than your own independent choice? Such selfishness in my opinion.

That said, I know nothing of the OP’s circumstances, but some of these comments are appalling...

Transmission probability between infected person wearing a mask and healthy person wearing a mask is 1.5%

Transmission probability of infected person wearing a mask and healthy person not wearing a mask is 5%

Transmission probability of infected person not wearing a mask vs healthy person wearing a mask is 70%

Protect America and wear a damn mask!

Last edited:
I have yet to come across anyone that has been sick from it and/or hospitalized, much less passed away. I tested positive 5 months ago and never knew I had it. I was tested only because I got it done for free and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. 100% asymptomatic.

I'm getting a little tired of the "take it seriously" hysterics. What does that even mean, anyway. Its as though most people have never been actually sick before.

I'm 66. I've had the flu multiple times over my life. I had the "hong kong" flu, I had the "swine" flu. I've had it within the past five years even after getting a flu vaccine. The hong kong flu was by far the worst for me personally. I've been hospitalized two weeks for pneumonia as well.

I also had covid-19. While it made me me extremely weak and was very "weird" feeling, for me it was also short in duration compared to the flu and pneumonia. I've been active and fit my entire life and still am, don't know if that was a factor or not, but covid-19 for me was a couple of days of hell, while flu is typically a week of hell, and pneumonia two weeks of hell.

A friend of mine, same age, used to be in pro wrestling but let himself go pretty much completely the past twenty years or so, has been hospitalized several times over that time with blood infections in his legs and all manner of other ailments. He was hospitalized again for covid-19 recently and was on a ventilator for three weeks. They pretty much told his wife he was a goner but the doctor that had been treating him for the blood infections in his legs the past twenty years insisted they give him with the antibody treatment and voila, he was released and in physical therapy within the week. If there ever was a poster child for "high risk" it was this guy but he came out of it

I know people have died, and I'm sorry for those families, but I'm weary of the incessant hysteria and the unreasonable fear. There are actual qualified and quantified data which are largely ignored, and there are drama data that are trumpeted like thunder daily.. We DO take it "seriously"; we also would like to take it "truthfully."
Do you wear a mask in public places, wash your hands/use hand sanitizer regularly? If so, congrats! You're taking it seriously.

That's what I'm afraid will happen with me and my wife. I have a combination of asthma and COPD and I'm 75, I'm taking all of the precautions I can but like you say I think most everyone will get it, I just hope it's not a Death Warren for the people who do get the virus.
My grandma is 81 and got covid in the summer. She has asthma and some breathing troubles but made it through. We were worried but God is good and we were blessed that she was able to recover in about 3 and a half weeks after testing positive. She didn’t have to be hospitalized either. I know everyone isn’t that lucky, but I share to show that even those who are older and with underlying problems can survive it.
I’m still taking all the precautions and praying no one else gets it!

Do you wear a mask in public places, wash your hands/use hand sanitizer regularly? If so, congrats! You're taking it seriously.
Yes on the first. "Regularly" on the second and third would be a stretch.

As I said, I'm 66, I've had the flu several times, pneumonia (oxygen tent), covid 19, and I know people that were in sad, serious shape BEFORE they got covid, and we're all still here. Life goes on.

Plus if you've ever lived in a third world country (I have), where you can hold up their bottles of Coke to the sun and see tiny organisms swimming away, you have to obtain processed water from distribution centers to safely drink, and everything you put in your mouth is a wing and a prayer, preaching "taking it seriously" over a disease that the CDC and Moses Fauci have changed their minds on umpteen times and that 99.99% of people have to be tested for to see if they even HAVE it is a tad melodramatic in my view.

Reactions: PC31 and BigTomE
I don’t honestly know what to think of it. It seems to be so random in who it affects and how, and there are multiple things they aren’t telling us. None of that really matters though when you lose one of your closest friends of the last 30 years to it. We want canoeing hundreds of times over the years and just took my daughters for the first time 3 months ago. He was 65 and in great shape and died within a few weeks of his diagnosis. His wife had it as well but went back to work within 2 weeks.
Best I could do was watch his funeral via livestream because I was working out in Oregon. I’m angry that he was taken and not some selfish, useless bastard somewhere. Always seems to be the good guys...

I tell ya it's weird how it picks and chooses. My wife's 94 year old grandmother caught it while in her nursing home and did just fine. Similar to your niece's MIL, a lady in our neighborhood in her 70's, who also has cancer, had it and survived and her only symptom was a mild cough. 🤷‍♀️

Different people have different immune systems. It is a survival trait for the human race. Something like the Black Plague of the 1300s can come through and kill a majority of the population and yet there are some whose immune systems fight it off.

The amount of viral load a person receives can affect how sick they become.

Transmission probability between infected person wearing a mask and healthy person wearing a mask is 1.5%

Transmission probability of infected person wearing a mask and healthy person not wearing a mask is 5%

Transmission probability of infected person not wearing a mask vs healthy person wearing a mask is 70%

Protect America and wear a damn mask!

Just be adults about it.. Stats and poll results can be anything you make it to be...

I have been with my drivers in hospitals and other healthcare (the heart of the beast) places since March out and about, exposed to everyone... As of today, I have not had one driver call in sick with a cold or COVID... They wash their hands, take vitamins and wear mask when they go into the hospital, but we don't wear mask outside...

This is a virus and a mask will not protect you from particles and dust that can get through cracks unless you wear a full face mask with filters.

You wear your mask and stay happy, don't worry about what other people are doing or not doing unless they come after you with a brick or bats...

Reactions: BigTomE and Expro19
Different people have different immune systems. It is a survival trait for the human race. Something like the Black Plague of the 1300s can come through and kill a majority of the population and yet there are some whose immune systems fight it off.

My in-laws have been exposed to sick healthcare workers who tested positive at other living assistance homes and we find out about through 2nd hand or 3rd hand. Luckily my in-laws have not come down with COVD. You can have all the protocols in place, but you have healthcare workers who cut corners at these living assistance homes because they work for other temp healthcare agencies and go to other living assistance homes...

I have yet to come across anyone that has been sick from it and/or hospitalized, much less passed away. I tested positive 5 months ago and never knew I had it. I was tested only because I got it done for free and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. 100% asymptomatic.
I guess you're one of the lucky ones.

Whether masks have 100% or 0% efficacy, I’ve yet to hear a solid argument as to why someone wouldn’t wear one. It makes no sense to me. What is there to lose by wearing a mask other than your own independent choice? Such selfishness in my opinion.

That said, I know nothing of the OP’s circumstances, but some of these comments are appalling...
Considering that’s I’ve had Covid and recovered, what point is there in wearing a mask that I find very uncomfortable?

Considering that’s I’ve had Covid and recovered, what point is there in wearing a mask that I find very uncomfortable?
Can you prove that you cannot contract it and/or transmit it again? Seems like people choose comfort over safety. That sort of thought process blows my mind.

Were you consistently wearing a mask when you first contracted it?

Can you prove that you cannot contract it and/or transmit it again? Seems like people choose comfort over safety. That sort of thought process blows my mind.

I test for and treat it, so I’m around it constantly. There is only 1 case of “proven” re-infection and that was “proven” in China. Even if it occurred, the likelihood of getting it twice is slim to none, so yes, I can say that with some certainty. BTW, I do wear a mask around patients just for their peace of mind, but don’t always when I’m out and about because it’s uncomfortable and quite frankly I just forget. I’m not against mask, I just think when people get on their mask high horse, many aren’t aware of the facts. It’s just repeating stuff that they’ve seen on facebook or other social media.

I test for and treat it, so I’m around it constantly. There is only 1 case of “proven” re-infection and that was “proven” in China. Even if it occurred, the likelihood of getting it twice is slim to none, so yes, I can say that with some certainty. BTW, I do wear a mask around patients just for their peace of mind, but don’t always when I’m out and about because it’s uncomfortable and quite frankly I just forget. I’m not against mask, I just think when people get on their mask high horse, many aren’t aware of the facts. It’s just repeating stuff that they’ve seen on facebook or other social media.
I wouldn’t say I’m on a mask high horse, but there are plenty of people who simply disregard the safety precautions, and I find that to be extremely selfish and unsafe. The lack of precaution is just another significantly contributing factor to why these numbers are starting to climb again - and that lack of precaution isn’t just about not wearing masks.

Cavalier attitudes won't help with this virus.

Cav1.jpg

Wash your hands, keep your distance, take vitamin D & Zinc and you'll be fine....

I'm waiting to catch it and I have done every I can to catch it... And failed miserably to catch it..

Stop the melodrama and it will die down on its own.

The exaggerated social distancing by the talking heads on some sporting events (like coach interviews) looks reaaallly stupid.

We have diseases that kill a lot of people each year and not a peep. We take flu vaccines which are hit and miss and people die and no outrage. This has become a political football. People get the virus, some have symptoms and some don't and unfortunately people with underlying conditions can perish from it. You have to accept what it is and live your life.

We have diseases that kill a lot of people each year and not a peep. We take flu vaccines which are hit and miss and people die and no outrage. This has become a political football. People get the virus, some have symptoms and some don't and unfortunately people with underlying conditions can perish from it. You have to accept what it is and live your life.
Unfortunately, even with the quantified and qualified data, the curious statement by Moses Fauci in 2015, the curious “seminar” hosted by Gates in 2019 and his being awarded the rights to a vaccine in November of 2019, the monthly flip-flopping by Moses Fauci, and simply just looking around you, if you haven’t snapped out of it yet you’re not going to. People will still be walking around wearing masks at this same time next year.

Reactions: BigTomE
Both my mother in law and father in law were exposed at their Church. Mother in law was pretty sick for about 2 weeks. Father in law was doing okay for about a week, then started having trouble breathing, went to hospital was dx with pneumonia, stayed for a couple days, on oxygen, went home. Was home for 2 days and continued to struggle breathing, was admitted back into hospital, this time they found blood clots in his lungs. he died a week later. We are thankful the nurse face-timed us so we could all say our last words to him before he died. 54 people were infected at this Church, 5 died.

Both my mother in law and father in law were exposed at their Church. Mother in law was pretty sick for about 2 weeks. Father in law was doing okay for about a week, then started having trouble breathing, went to hospital was dx with pneumonia, stayed for a couple days, on oxygen, went home. Was home for 2 days and continued to struggle breathing, was admitted back into hospital, this time they found blood clots in his lungs. he died a week later. We are thankful the nurse face-timed us so we could all say our last words to him before he died. 54 people were infected at this Church, 5 died.
See this is an issue we have had with our church. Back when they started having in person church at ours, they were cleaning the seats in between services and encouraged social distancing. After a week, that went out the window. Everybody sits on top of one another, nobody is encouraged to social distance or wear a mask, and etc. The church opened up a coffee cafe during this time too and have been selling coffee. A few weeks ago they had people invite as many friends to church and the person who would bring the most would win an iPad. I feel like this is just asking for a breakout. People say well if you can go to eat and etc. then you should go to church. I agree but in church you're sitting there for an hour or a little more than an hour and if people aren't wearing masks and social distancing, what do you do???

Agree 90...this church did the drive in service for awhile, which seemed to work fine, sometime in mid August they started having in-person service. Even though we told the in-laws to wear masks and distance, the second Sunday they went to in person they said about 505 were not wearing masks and they even started the choir back singing. My FIL took his mask off, and so did the MIL, on 8/24. By 8/26 MIL started having a fever, got tested on 8/28, confirmed positive 8/30. FIL started feeling sick the first week of September, after bout a week and thoughts that he was feeling better, the breathing issues started. He was in his early 80's but in good overall health, still push-mowed his lawn, he died alone in the hospital on 9/26/20.

Agree 90...this church did the drive in service for awhile, which seemed to work fine, sometime in mid August they started having in-person service. Even though we told the in-laws to wear masks and distance, the second Sunday they went to in person they said about 505 were not wearing masks and they even started the choir back singing. My FIL took his mask off, and so did the MIL, on 8/24. By 8/26 MIL started having a fever, got tested on 8/28, confirmed positive 8/30. FIL started feeling sick the first week of September, after bout a week and thoughts that he was feeling better, the breathing issues started. He was in his early 80's but in good overall health, still push-mowed his lawn, he died alone in the hospital on 9/26/20.

This is such a hard situation because we miss our church and miss our friends at church. However, when they aren't promoting social distancing or mask wearing, you have to do what's best for your family.

Reactions: heelzfor2

Churches got in a real bind. Unfortunately, some people who don't attend will stop tithing.

Our church encourages distancing and masks, though they aren't required. They have every other pew taped off. They let people put their offerings in a bucket instead of collecting it. They do not have door greeters or a time during the service to greet each other anymore. I do attend almost every week. I felt pretty nervous about it to begin with but as I've gone for months and not gotten sick, I'm feeling better. I usually sit in the balcony so I can space myself out.

Churches got in a real bind. Unfortunately, some people who don't attend will stop tithing.

Our church encourages distancing and masks, though they aren't required. They have every other pew taped off. They let people put their offerings in a bucket instead of collecting it. They do not have door greeters or a time during the service to greet each other anymore. I do attend almost every week. I felt pretty nervous about it to begin with but as I've gone for months and not gotten sick, I'm feeling better. I usually sit in the balcony so I can space myself out.
It's good that your church is taking the necessary precautions to stop the spread. As I stated ours isn't doing anything. No social distancing, no encouraging of wearing masks, opened up a coffee shop and had a invite as many friends as you can day a few weeks ago. In a normal setting, inviting the friends to church and opening up a coffee shop would be fine, but encouraging bringing as many people as you can and whoever brings the most wins an iPad is just not a good idea during these times.

It's good that your church is taking the necessary precautions to stop the spread. As I stated ours isn't doing anything. No social distancing, no encouraging of wearing masks, opened up a coffee shop and had a invite as many friends as you can day a few weeks ago. In a normal setting, inviting the friends to church and opening up a coffee shop would be fine, but encouraging bringing as many people as you can and whoever brings the most wins an iPad is just not a good idea during these times.
That's disturbing and frustrating to me. As believers, I believe we should be responsible. Kinda like wearing seatbelts or not drinking and driving (may not apply to most). Unless there are political reasons for this, I cannot understand not being responsible.
We should be doing everything we can to support health authorities and health care workers.

That's disturbing and frustrating to me. As believers, I believe we should be responsible. Kinda like wearing seatbelts or not drinking and driving (may not apply to most). Unless there are political reasons for this, I cannot understand not being responsible.
We should be doing everything we can to support health authorities and health care workers.
That's what my wife and I have been saying. Majority of the people at our church have never worn masks in our church. Even the preacher himself said that he wasn't worried about Covid19. But the things that have taken place in the last few weeks baffle me. I'm sure churches have been hurting but you can be more proactive about wearing facemasks and social distancing.

ADVERTISEMENT