ADVERTISEMENT

CU football coaches are state's top travel spenders

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
Click the link below for a story in today's Daily Gamecock. It has data on biggest travel spenders among SC's colleges. The top two spenders in the state by far are Clempson football coaches. CU as a whole outspends USC on travel by over $2.5 million. How is that possible for a school that is so much smaller. I guess no surprise no USC football coaches are in the school's top 3. Keep in mind this data is for university travel overall not just athletics but CU WAY outspends Carolina on overall and athletic travel. Hmmmmmmm

Is this an error? Do we report football travel differently?

https://us7.campaign-archive.com/?u=8e9abbb36888686aae228c53d&id=f78ee5917b

Click the link below for a story in today's Daily Gamecock. It has data on biggest travel spenders among SC's colleges. The top two spenders in the state by far are Clempson football coaches. CU as a whole outspends USC on travel by over $2.5 million. How is that possible for a school that is so much smaller. I guess no surprise no USC football coaches are in the school's top 3. Keep in mind this data is for university travel overall not just athletics but CU WAY outspends Carolina on overall and athletic travel. Hmmmmmmm

I haven't a clue, but didn't we just purchase a jet a couple of years ago? I wonder if that, being private use, isn't included in these totals.

How we (university, Gamecock fans, etc...) allow this to happen on the taxpayers dime is beyond me. It ought to be equal but of course it is heavily in Clemson’s favor. Of course you elect a Tater for governor and this is what you get.

Thank goodness we didn’t spend too much $$.
- Ray Tanner and BOT

somethings not right there. those numbers are too far off
maybe its the private plane thing
its not like we dont travel for recruiting

Reactions: Jpcooper
How we (university, Gamecock fans, etc...) allow this to happen on the taxpayers dime is beyond me. It ought to be equal but of course it is heavily in Clemson’s favor. Of course you elect a Tater for governor and this is what you get.

Perhaps I am missing something, but the link never indicates that any of this is tax payer money. Is this just total travel budget that the University is footing or is some (or all) of this tax payer funds?

State funds all public universities. So whether it is directly or indirectly tax payer money is being spent on it

State funds all public universities. So whether it is directly or indirectly tax payer money is being spent on it

The state funds a portion of each university's overall budget, but not the entire thing. Based on my quick search, it appears Clemson gets less than 20% of its total operating expenses from state funds. I am not sure if the travel money noted in this thread includes any tax payer money.

I wonder if Venables makes "recruiting trips" to see the relatives back in Kansas. The state government of South Carolina is not known for accountability, but each trip should be public record. It's our tax money.

They have been whipping our butts on the recruiting trail for a while now. Proof is in the pudding. We had our chance to capitalize and we sat on our hands and away they went. Look up Thad Turnipseed. Huge coup by Dablo to steal him from Bama and Saban.

Reactions: Jpcooper and GC2020
Need to get Al Gore to call them out on pollution of the environment.

Just because it's a public university doesn't mean it's taxpayer money. Athletic department accounts are funded by the athletic department's revenue, not taxpayer money from the state. The ADs at both Clemson and USC are both profitable (they take in more than they spend) and subsequently send money back into the school's academic accounts, lessening the schools' reliance on tax dollars.

I'll give you my take on this subject. I haven't checked today, but about a year ago I researched the aircraft for both schools. South Carolina has a nice King Air that is used by the administration and the athletic departments. Clemson has a King Air and used to charter the state King Air, but somebody challenged Clemson on using the state plane and we got a lot of bad press about it. The Clemson BOD approved the purchase of a Cessna Citation jet and stopped using the state plane altogether. Now Clemson flies the two planes for all school business and athletics. One thing that is different between the two schools is the school president at Clemson uses the planes a lot where Pastides does not. The other factor is it costs a lot more to operate the Citation than it does a King Air. Our recruiting footprint and quality increased dramatically as a result of that jet. Most top notch athletic programs have a jet and Auburn has two. In today's recruiting world you are at a huge disadvantage without a fast jet.

Reactions: rogue cock
Just like the tater sucker punching people at the game Saturday and running back to his seat before being caught. They are slick willies in those parts.

I know this is mostly a chance to crap on the Gamecocks but it should be cheaper to fly out of Columbia than Clemson.

I'll give you my take on this subject. I haven't checked today, but about a year ago I researched the aircraft for both schools. South Carolina has a nice King Air that is used by the administration and the athletic departments. Clemson has a King Air and used to charter the state King Air, but somebody challenged Clemson on using the state plane and we got a lot of bad press about it. The Clemson BOD approved the purchase of a Cessna Citation jet and stopped using the state plane altogether. Now Clemson flies the two planes for all school business and athletics. One thing that is different between the two schools is the school president at Clemson uses the planes a lot where Pastides does not. The other factor is it costs a lot more to operate the Citation than it does a King Air. Our recruiting footprint and quality increased dramatically as a result of that jet. Most top notch athletic programs have a jet and Auburn has two. In today's recruiting world you are at a huge disadvantage without a fast jet.

Let me add a couple things about Clemson. They went to an ACC CG, and 2 CFP games last year. Can't remember the exact cost but say 1-3 million for the whole team, coaches and their families, includes hotel costs. As a result Clemson made very little profit on paper for the championship.
Clemson has 2 planes and Dabo and Venerables using them to join after their sons play on Friday night.
Recruiting is getting nations with kids signing last year from In, Ks, La, Fl, Oh, etc.
While lots of this is likely paid by IPTAY, I am sure you can complain to the Governor about inequality. Go for it!!!

Let me add a couple things about Clemson. They went to an ACC CG, and 2 CFP games last year. Can't remember the exact cost but say 1-3 million for the whole team, coaches and their families, includes hotel costs. As a result Clemson made very little profit on paper for the championship.
Clemson has 2 planes and Dabo and Venerables using them to join after their sons play on Friday night.
Recruiting is getting nations with kids signing last year from In, Ks, La, Fl, Oh, etc.
While lots of this is likely paid by IPTAY, I am sure you can complain to the Governor about inequality. Go for it!!!

Yabo Dabo and Venerables use private planes, for personal use, and charge it to the university?

Yabo Dabo and Venerables use private planes, for personal use, and charge it to the university?
You can check with the law school, but maybe they are allowed a flight to the game since they didn't use one when the team flew. Just saying and I have no idea who pays anyway.

Where is The State on this? If the situatiuon was reversed and it was so lopsided in Carolina's favor, The State newspaper would be doing an in-depth investigation and running a week's work of stories on the front page. Clemspon gets away with this crap because no media outlet in the upstate questions anything they do. There is no reason for the $ the two schools spends to be this different. Regradless of what budget line it comes from it boils down to taxpayer # being spent somewhere. At both USC and Moo U, the $ the AD puts back in to the university budget is a tiny %.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
I seriously doubt assistant coaches are using private planes.

They do. Although coaches at both schools use the athletic department planes mainly.

Where is The State on this? If the situatiuon was reversed and it was so lopsided in Carolina's favor, The State newspaper would be doing an in-depth investigation and running a week's work of stories on the front page. Clemspon gets away with this crap because no media outlet in the upstate questions anything they do. There is no reason for the $ the two schools spends to be this different. Regradless of what budget line it comes from it boils down to taxpayer # being spent somewhere. At both USC and Moo U, the $ the AD puts back in to the university budget is a tiny %.

Why don’t you do it if you think there is impropriety? All of the information is freely available to anyone. You can see who was on the state owned planes every time they flew. You can get what was spent on every government credit card last month by individual. Heck you can even see how much Clemson paid each of the football players parents to travel to the playoff and national championship game.

The report cited in the article is just the expense side. It doesn’t detail who paid for it. That will be included in the annual state financial report.

We have our priority correct educational institutions need to spend on educating the students . Sheep u well nuff said.

They have been whipping our butts on the recruiting trail for a while now. Proof is in the pudding. We had our chance to capitalize and we sat on our hands and away they went. Look up Thad Turnipseed. Huge coup by Dablo to steal him from Bama and Saban.
Turnipseed was a major coup. He’s the brains behind much of their stuff. He came to clemson at half of his bammer salary to work for his buddy. Think since then he’s been well compensated.

Turnipseed was a major coup. He’s the brains behind much of their stuff. He came to clemson at half of his bammer salary to work for his buddy. Think since then he’s been well compensated.

This was one of the big pieces undoubtedly. And it isn't just the social media stuff that you can see. There is a whole recruiting department that does all of the heavy lifting for the coaches, freeing up the coaches to coach and talk to the recruits. They have staff and student volunteers that do everything from making film cut-ups, to monitoring social media of recruits, designing and printing the recruiting, making one off items to target specific recruits. Thad has really taken it to a new level. I have seen the operation in person and it really is impressive.

That being said he wouldn't have been able to do so without the full support of the administration.

This was for fiscal year 2015-2016 (07/01/2015 to 06/30/2016), which was when CU was chastised for using the State of SC plane for athletics related travel, correct?

Did we have our own plan then? If we did and they did not, that could very well be why our expenses are less, with regard to athletic related travel.

This was for fiscal year 2015-2016 (07/01/2015 to 06/30/2016), which was when CU was chastised for using the State of SC plane for athletics related travel, correct?

Did we have our own plan then? If we did and they did not, that could very well be why our expenses are less, with regard to athletic related travel.
Clemson had one plane and UofSC had one plane at the time. Now Clemson has two planes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT