ADVERTISEMENT

Culture shock for Mcllwain.....

UCSC is a nice campus...

unique-uc-santa-cruz-campus-buildings-picture-id488779407

http://admissions.ucsc.edu/#virtualtour

http://www.breitbart.com/california...vers-at-uc-santa-cruz-if-new-demands-not-met/

You're taking very few extreme incidents and interpreting that as the norm.

You're speaking in really broad terms.

Universities absolutely embrace debate. That's what happens when people are exposed to different ideas. Being outspoken and protesting is not something administrations will change.
You forget where he went to school. There may not be a more homogeneous school is this state...or this region.

You're taking very few extreme incidents and interpreting that as the norm.

You're speaking in really broad terms.

Universities absolutely embrace debate. That's what happens when people are exposed to different ideas. Being outspoken and protesting is not something administrations will change.

I'm not speaking in broad terms, and universities do not embrace debate.

For example, I once took a humanities course in college, in which the purpose of the class was to debate the idea of a supernatural God. This was just a thought exercise (nothing nefarious). The main point was to challenge a student's deepest, most fundamental beliefs.

Well, that's fine, except I didn't see any classes challenging any core liberal values. I don't see any courses questioning the concept of diversity (specifically as its interpreted by the modern left). I don't see any course questioning the concept of social justice.

Now keep in mind, I'm not saying there should be courses trying to persuade people to abandon their beliefs in diversity or social justice or anything like that. I'm saying that universities don't even want to present challenges to those ideas, like they did with religion in my case. That's the issue.

Now to your point about being outspoken and protesting, you completely misunderstood me. I have no problem with students simply protesting a speaker's ideas. That fine. However, student are protesting in order to persuade the administration to prevent the speaker from speaking. That is completely different than simply being "outspoken."

Daley was pretty much law and order. But fine, how about some of the Southern sheriff departments throughout the deep south...or someone a little more contemporary, Timothy McVeigh. Conservatives have had their share...just like the liberals did with SDS and still do.

I don't think anyone denies that, and that's not the issue. All sides go too far. The issue is, at any given time, the problem becomes acute for one particular side.

I'm
I'm not speaking in broad terms, and universities do not embrace debate.

For example, I once took a humanities course in college, in which the purpose of the class was to debate the idea of a supernatural God. This was just a thought exercise (nothing nefarious). The main point was to challenge a student's deepest, most fundamental beliefs.

Well, that's fine, except I didn't see any classes challenging any core liberal values. I don't see any courses questioning the concept of diversity (specifically as its interpreted by the modern left). I don't see any course questioning the concept of social justice.

Now keep in mind, I'm not saying there should be courses trying to persuade people to abandon their beliefs in diversity or social justice or anything like that. I'm saying that universities don't even want to present challenges to those ideas, like they did with religion in my case. That's the issue.

Now to your point about being outspoken and protesting, you completely misunderstood me. I have no problem with students simply protesting a speaker's ideas. That fine. However, student are protesting in order to persuade the administration to prevent the speaker from speaking. That is completely different than simply being "outspoken."

I don't think anyone denies that, and that's not the issue. All sides go too far. The issue is, at any given time, the problem becomes acute for one particular side.

I don't think discussing the value of social justice in a college classroom is that unusual.

And I can't recall any students protesting a conservative guest that didn't havr objectively extreme, antagonizing views like Richard Spencer or the Milo guy.

I just don't know what change can be made that will adequately promote conservative values.

Reactions: Jeremiah Bullfrog
I'm

I don't think discussing the value of social justice in a college classroom is that unusual.

And I can't recall any students protesting a conservative guest that didn't havr objectively extreme, antagonizing views like Richard Spencer or the Milo guy.

I just don't know what change can be made that will adequately promote conservative values.

You are again missing the point. There are college classes, an entire course, specifically dedicated to questioning the validity of religion, or the existence of a God. Again, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with these courses. I'm just saying you don't see a course questioning the validity of social justice, for example.

Well, there is your first problem. Who gets to classify what constitutes an "extreme" view? Should "extreme" views be silenced? Or, should the extreme views be discussed and debated, rather that simply be shut down?

Again, there is no need to promote conservative values. What I'm saying is, liberal students should have their beliefs challenged in the same way conservative students do. You just illustrated my point. You took it upon yourself to classify what was an extreme view. You used your own value judgement. The students who block someone from speaking are imposing their own value judgement on others. That's the antithesis of the free flow of ideas.

Reactions: pisgah
I'd say definitely UVa for UG, and Law if I had the choice, plus it's a hop from Philly, and their team definitely could use some QB help. Plus, I'd put it against any school in the Top 5 Public(s) on name and education. That said if diversity is his thing, I'm not sure a place that's probably 80%+ homogeneous is it. Then again, that's probably almost all of the schools in the SE

You can challenge yourself all you want , and you don't even have to be in a college classroom. Read a variety of books with differing viewpoints for example, listen to various commentators. You can also attend a college with a lot of diversity and come out the same way you went in.
You will never become completely objective, even if you could, you would then have no opinions. Diversity is overrated.

Nothing wrong with that part of the country. I loved Santa Cruz. People are friendly, but they are so different it's almost like being in Canada. There are parts of that area that I could live if I could stomach the taxes. I would say I lean republican, but those people in some part do try to make things better. I hate plastic. ..Yes that's random, but I love the ocean and see how bad it is for the planet. Plastic could be replaced be hemp and wood fiber, with zero harm to the environment. ...Yes I know you all think I'm a libtard, but some of this Schidt is common sense.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Cal definitely has a football team which has put many players in the NFL: Aaron Rodgers, Marshawn Lynch, Keenan Allen, Jared Goff, Desean Jackson, etc.
They went 4-8 last year. Unfortunately, for Brandon they have a good QB. Shitty baseball team so maybe he can play that. He will need to see what mommy Lena Mcalwain thinks. Sorry, nice kid, but mommy has turned him into a _____. You can't beat out other players so you leave? Anyone who trys to say it's becsuse he was black and Bentley isn't a much better QB is living in Lena land.

Reactions: Ironcock17
Daley was pretty much law and order. But fine, how about some of the Southern sheriff departments throughout the deep south...or someone a little more contemporary, Timothy McVeigh. Conservatives have had their share...just like the liberals did with SDS and still do.

Yeah, Timothy McVeigh is the universal socket that all Liberals plug into. If you mention Muslim acts of terror, they say what about Timothy McVeigh? If you say Liberals, the same response. He was a nut and not someone lionized by conservatives. Daley wasn't law and order he was a Democratic machine politician who was up to his eyeballs in graft and corruption. Nixon wasn't a conservative either. He expanded the welfare state more than Kennedy and Johnson combined.

The real distinctions between right-wing and left-wing extremists is that right-wing extremists usually live out prison terms and are shunned, left wingers end up on Obama's steering committee or get professorships at Eastern universities.

Reactions: pisgah
Yeah, Timothy McVeigh is the universal socket that all Liberals plug into. If you mention Muslim acts of terror, they say what about Timothy McVeigh? If you say Liberals, the same response. He was a nut and not someone lionized by conservatives. Daley wasn't law and order he was a Democratic machine politician who was up to his eyeballs in graft and corruption. Nixon wasn't a conservative either. He expanded the welfare state more than Kennedy and Johnson combined.

The real distinctions between right-wing and left-wing extremists is that right-wing extremists usually live out prison terms and are shunned, left wingers end up on Obama's steering committee or get professorships at Eastern universities.
The kool-aid is strong. Betting there is no tin foil left in stores around you.

The kool-aid is strong. Betting there is no tin foil left in stores around you.

You're a walking cliche, if you want to dispute something do it with facts otherwise you just look like an uninformed juvenile. Better yet go educate yourself, go read up on Richard Daley's role in the 1960 presidential election. Back when the Washington Post was a real newspaper they sent an investigative reporter to Chicago in the aftermath of the 1960 election and Daley acknowledged his role in massive voter fraud.

You're a walking cliche, if you want to dispute something do it with facts otherwise you just look like an uninformed juvenile. Better yet go educate yourself, go read up on Richard Daley's role in the 1960 presidential election. Back when the Washington Post was a real newspaper they sent an investigative reporter to Chicago in the aftermath of the 1960 election and Daley acknowledged his role in massive voter fraud.
You're the cliche. Right wing extremists are being heralded right now...and all these right wing websites like Breitbart are being quoted all over the place. You've won...you have the Presidency, the Senate and the House ...quit being a snowflake and complaining all the damn time.

You're the cliche. Right wing extremists are being heralded right now...and all these right wing websites like Breitbart are being quoted all over the place. You've won...you have the Presidency, the Senate and the House ...quit being a snowflake and complaining all the damn time.

Snowflake, kool-aid, tin-foil hat yep you're the king of original thought.

Reactions: wentzel25
They went 4-8 last year. Unfortunately, for Brandon they have a good QB. Shitty baseball team so maybe he can play that. He will need to see what mommy Lena Mcalwain thinks. Sorry, nice kid, but mommy has turned him into a _____. You can't beat out other players so you leave? Anyone who trys to say it's becsuse he was black and Bentley isn't a much better QB is living in Lena land.

Who has ever said it was because he was black? Why is this a thing with you?

How do you teach less government? Serious question. That sounds like indoctrination to me which is what I thought we wanted to avoid in college, no?
What every college classroom I've ever been in (and I majored in History) the teaching is about the proper role of government. I'm not sure how one would teach "less government" as an approach. There certainly isn't a class on "more government". Study examples of where government can help and where government has gone wrong so that you don't make the same mistakes.

I was required to read Milton Friedman's Free to Choose in my Freshman Econ class, and guess, what, I disagreed, but I didn't cry about it. It wasn't balanced with anything by Keynes (who, for the un-economic-minded folks, proposed deficit spending as a way to stimulate the economy).

The problem today is that so many people think universities are ONLY hotbeds for liberals, when they don't really even have a clue. The anti-intellectual bent in America right now harkens straight back to Germany in 1933, except rather than intellectuals, the Germans blamed the Jews for all their country's problems.

Lack of education is the danger here, not liberals and not conservatives.

You are again missing the point. There are college classes, an entire course, specifically dedicated to questioning the validity of religion, or the existence of a God. Again, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with these courses. I'm just saying you don't see a course questioning the validity of social justice, for example.

Well, there is your first problem. Who gets to classify what constitutes an "extreme" view? Should "extreme" views be silenced? Or, should the extreme views be discussed and debated, rather that simply be shut down?

Again, there is no need to promote conservative values. What I'm saying is, liberal students should have their beliefs challenged in the same way conservative students do. You just illustrated my point. You took it upon yourself to classify what was an extreme view. You used your own value judgement. The students who block someone from speaking are imposing their own value judgement on others. That's the antithesis of the free flow of ideas.
There are plenty of classes where "What is social justice?" is debated. And "What is diversity?" I know because I've taught them and I've been in them.

What inevitably happens when you take classes on ethics and human rights, and you start asking these questions (and answering them for yourself - there are no correct answers to these questions), you broaden your world view.

It's the way the world has been trending since the late 1600's when the Enlightenment first raised the question, "Can't we govern ourselves instead of being ruled by a monarch?" AND it's why we live in a country where we vote and transfer power peacefully from one leader to another.

Conservatism wants to make things more black and white - which is a much easier world to live in, although it doesn't always get things right. Liberalism seeks a much finer detail of shades - which causes anxiety and doesn't always get things right.

Reactions: rogue cock
What every college classroom I've ever been in (and I majored in History) the teaching is about the proper role of government. I'm not sure how one would teach "less government" as an approach. There certainly isn't a class on "more government". Study examples of where government can help and where government has gone wrong so that you don't make the same mistakes.

I was required to read Milton Friedman's Free to Choose in my Freshman Econ class, and guess, what, I disagreed, but I didn't cry about it. It wasn't balanced with anything by Keynes (who, for the un-economic-minded folks, proposed deficit spending as a way to stimulate the economy).

The problem today is that so many people think universities are ONLY hotbeds for liberals, when they don't really even have a clue. The anti-intellectual bent in America right now harkens straight back to Germany in 1933, except rather than intellectuals, the Germans blamed the Jews for all their country's problems.

Lack of education is the danger here, not liberals and not conservatives.
Good post. Education is important. I also think the non-stop Internet/media barrage into people's brains has them fearing demons and enemies where none exist. Okay, so you think differently than somebody else. So what? Oh that guy over there made a mistake. So what? It's been happening since mankind began. We live in one of the safest, most prosperous times in the history of the world, and people act like we're on our last dying breath. It's sad.

There are plenty of classes where "What is social justice?" is debated. And "What is diversity?" I know because I've taught them and I've been in them.

What inevitably happens when you take classes on ethics and human rights, and you start asking these questions (and answering them for yourself - there are no correct answers to these questions), you broaden your world view.

It's the way the world has been trending since the late 1600's when the Enlightenment first raised the question, "Can't we govern ourselves instead of being ruled by a monarch?" AND it's why we live in a country where we vote and transfer power peacefully from one leader to another.

Conservatism wants to make things more black and white - which is a much easier world to live in, although it doesn't always get things right. Liberalism seeks a much finer detail of shades - which causes anxiety and doesn't always get things right.

Tut, tut, yes those simple-minded conservatives unable to grasp those subtle nuances. By the way Milton Friedman didn't consider himself a conservative he considered himself a libertarian.

Tut, tut, yes those simple-minded conservatives unable to grasp those subtle nuances. By the way Milton Friedman didn't consider himself a conservative he considered himself a libertarian.
Never said anything about simple-minded conservatives. Plenty of simple-minded liberals out there, too. Just trying to explain in general terms the difference in world view.

Never said anything about simple-minded conservatives. Plenty of simple-minded liberals out there, too. Just trying to explain in general terms the difference in world view.

I'd guess you probably are ill-equipped to make a pronouncement of what a conservative's world view might be without bringing your biases. My view of liberalism is: centralized control of the electorates money to spend however they see fit, because they know how to spend your money more wisely than you do. Doesn't seem very nuanced to me but then I'm bringing personal bias to that perception.

My overly simplistic view is that liberals overlook the present looking into the future, and conservatives ignore the future to satisfy the present. As usual in this world, the answer is probably somewhere in between.

No if you had "common sense" you wouldn't be making the preposterous assertion that you're likely to find diversity of thought in a Berkeley classroom. You also wouldn't be parroting that: It's mostly about safety concerns that they won't allow conservatives to speak. That is pure bs.

Unfortunately it's not just California, most major Universities are staffed with liberals. The extent that some of these places have gone to extinguish free speech is appalling.

There's a good reason for that - the more educated someone is, the more likely they are to have liberal ideals.

Who has ever said it was because he was black? Why is this a thing with you?
Guess you missed it on Facebook when his mother said we didn't play black QBs at South Carolina. Part of his moms rant along with USC experts stating he couldn't throw the long ball. She didn't feel he was given a fair shot against Bentley.

Remember Eric Rudolph and Timothy McVeigh? Maybe not police stations, but conservative terrorists.
Remember Eric Rudolph and Timothy McVeigh? Maybe not police stations, but conservative terrorists.

Yes they were universally condemned and they were nuts. Kathy Boudin, Susan Rosenberg, Bill Ayers, and Bernadine Dohrn are domestic terrorists that were given professorships at left-leaning universities. Obama launched his 1995 campaign in Ayers' living room. When Bill Ayers was asked in 2008 if he regretted bombing buildings in Washington, D.C. he said," No I only wish I had done more." These people are held in high esteem by liberals.

Guess you missed it on Facebook when his mother said we didn't play black QBs at South Carolina. Part of his moms rant along with USC experts stating he couldn't throw the long ball. She didn't feel he was given a fair shot against Bentley.

Will you please share a link to where she spoke about race? From what I can find, this was her only info posted on FB, and she never refers to race. Only you have done that.

“Brandon never played with Deebo (Samuel) & (Bryan) Edwards on the field at the same time. That's a game changer,” Mrs. McIlwain wrote. “Brandon is repeatedly told that his strength is running the ball, NEVER before has he been so unfairly pigeon holed! He has always fearlessly & successfully THROWN the ball very well as any quarterback is trained to do!! If the deep threat is there, he will deliver. But he has not had that opportunity.

“Obviously, any quarterback will shine against UMass who has given up over 400 yards a week passing. It's a total set-up to justify making the switch to the coach's son.”

Because they're more likely to have been exposed to liberal professors.

Actually about 40% of people with master's degrees consider themselves liberal while a lower percentage (about 30%) consider themselves conservative, when you add moderates and conservatives together cockhorn's assertion is false. Inside that 40% the largest percentage of jobs that are represented are people in a teaching related field. College professors are 5-1 liberal to conservative.

Anyone who thinks you can't get a wide diversity of viewpoints by attending Berkeley is delusional. And students who are smart enough to get into Berkeley are smart enough to think for themselves. Berkeley is a great school by any objective measure. Berkeley people have won dozens of Nobel prizes, Fields Medals, Turing Awards, and have discovered several chemical elements (one of which is named for the school!). You probably wouldn't be posting on this message board without contributions to computer science made by the faculty and alumni of UCB.

Ok, dang i didnt mean to start all this. Please put a lock on this.

Cal baseball went 23-28, their long time coach is David Esquer, how funny would it be if they dumped him and we dumped Holbrook and Holbrook went to Cal, sorry that crossed my mind, and I wanted to share

Cal's perspective

"We're excited that Brandon has decided to enroll at Cal and become a member of both our football and baseball programs," Wilcox said. "We're looking forward to his contributions and having him join the competition in our quarterback room."

"I am excited to develop under the incredible coaching staff at Cal," McIlwain said. "The Golden Bears have a great quarterback history. In addition, I am equally excited about returning to the Bay Area and taking advantage of the university's amazing education."

McIlwain played in eight games with three starts during his 2016 true freshman football campaign at South Carolina when he completed 62-of-118 passes for 600 yards with two touchdowns and one interception while adding another 127 yards and two scores on the ground on 63 carries for a Gamecocks' squad that reached the Birmingham Bowl. McIlwain played in South Carolina's first five contests and threw for a career-high 195 yards on 16-of-28 passing while also rushing for a pair of touchdowns to lead the Gamecocks to a 20-15 victory over East Carolina in his first of three consecutive starts. He also started the team's next two SEC contests at Kentucky and versus Texas A&M while playing for the majority of the second half in the regular-season finale in a non-conference game against state rival and eventual national champion Clemson. McIlwain was named to the SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll following the 2016 football season.

Anyone who thinks you can't get a wide diversity of viewpoints by attending Berkeley is delusional. And students who are smart enough to get into Berkeley are smart enough to think for themselves. Berkeley is a great school by any objective measure. Berkeley people have won dozens of Nobel prizes, Fields Medals, Turing Awards, and have discovered several chemical elements (one of which is named for the school!). You probably wouldn't be posting on this message board without contributions to computer science made by the faculty and alumni of UCB.

Yet they can't have a conservative speaker on the campus without ensuing violence. With all that diversity on campus you'd think they'd have a more rational response than setting a building on fire and breaking all the windows.

My guess is that 80% of all colleges now teach that socialism and protest and not working is the way to go. Just ask Venezuela.

Your guess would be wrong.

The goal of most colleges/universities is and should be to teach specialized skills and critical thinking. That means that depending on your major, you receive specialized instruction in that area. Critical thinking is the ability to consider a problem and position from all sides and draw your own conclusions based on those observations and the observations of others. It also gives you the ability to reject observations that don’t correspond to known facts.

In other word, folks who can critically think don’t simply take the word of the latest talking head on fox/msbnc. I never heard anything about not working after you graduate during my time at Clemson and I seriously doubt that the Moore School of Business teaches that kind of thing either.

Your guess would be wrong.

The goal of most colleges/universities is and should be to teach specialized skills and critical thinking. That means that depending on your major, you receive specialized instruction in that area. Critical thinking is the ability to consider a problem and position from all sides and draw your own conclusions based on those observations and the observations of others. It also gives you the ability to reject observations that don’t correspond to known facts.

In other word, folks who can critically think don’t simply take the word of the latest talking head on fox/msbnc. I never heard anything about not working after you graduate during my time at Clemson and I seriously doubt that the Moore School of Business teaches that kind of thing either.
I think what he is saying is that 'critical thinking' means different things for different college/universities. It's painfully obvious that there are some colleges out there have a very narrow understanding of critical thinking. A good example of what's happening is what's happening on reddit. 90% of the posters you find there claim they are critical thinkers and think they are capable of rational arguments. Once you present an idea that is out of their understanding of the world, they immediately start being melodramatic and act like they are being assaulted with your thoughts. All of a sudden you are either a fascist, racist, or sexist. Which then moves to insults on you being ignorant, heartless, delusional, or clueless on the 'true' problems.

It's been almost two decades since I was taking classes at USC and even then I still remember everything having a 'liberal' tilt. I got into an argument with my English 101 teacher and all of a sudden he started calling me racist out of the blue because I disagreed with his point of view. (He was an African American)

I repeated the argument to some of my work friends (also African Americans) and they though the professor was bat sh!t crazy and didn't understand why 'racism' was even brought up.

I can't even imagine what it is like on today's campuses in the US.

What? You're free to say wherever you like. You can have any opinion you want and share with the 6 billion on this planet and guys will not come to your house from the ministry of truth with black bags. That means, however, that people have the same right to criticize your opinions. Free speech goes both ways.

And most professors couldn't give a damn about converting students to their point of view. They're in academia to follow their own research interests, not indoctrinate kids. If they can get them to do the reading and put for some effort that's a enough.

Well said sir. My wife’s a professor and is pretty liberal (both socially and politically). She consciously doesn’t bring her politics into the classroom.

You can say and write anything you want, but you better be able to back that shiit up with scholarly research and references. If you can, you are all good. If you can’t, she’ll take your head off just above the ankles.

Her area is public health and she actually got her PhD from USC. She honestly couldn’t not care less about somehow “converting” her students. In fact, she just gave an A to a student who turned in a final paper arguing against universal health care. He/She argued from a pure return on investment point of view. The argument was that it was better to do nothing to help the poor (especially children) because their expected earnings over a lifetime could not offset the expenses of proper healthcare. In fact, the increased mortality rate of refusing to vaccinate children below the poverty line for traditional childhood afflictions like measles, mumps, polio, rubella, and whooping cough would substantially reduce the numbers of working poor over the decades ahead.

It was a cold piece of work, and some of the statistical conclusions were questionable. But it was a well constructed argument.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT