ADVERTISEMENT

Currently no ESPN channels or SECN on Sling

FCB 2013 treble

Dec 14, 2016
I just became aware of the issue this morning that Sling does not have a renewed contract with the Disney channel and currently Sling is not showing any of the ESPN channels or SECN. I just canceled my subscription with Sling and signed up with Hulu for 15 more extra dollars. I did appreciate Sling services which i had for about seven years, but I am frustrated that Sling did not give an advance notice of the situation on the ongoing dilemma with Disney that would interrupt service.

Saw your post and checked mine out- yep. They are highlighting FS 1 games today.

I am sure it will get resolved quick but I can appreciate them playing hardball as much as possible because I do not want a price increase. I have Sling to watch other channels, not sports. Time will tell.

Reactions: bayrooster
Saw your post and checked mine out- yep. They are highlighting FS 1 games today.

I am sure it will get resolved quick but I can appreciate them playing hardball as much as possible because I do not want a price increase. I have Sling to watch other channels, not sports. Time will tell.
In the past, I read multiple times on this forum that one of the reasons people quit going to see South Carolina play is that they have been priced out. I hope watching college football on the tele will not get too expensive where I am no longer able to watch South Carolina in sports.

From everything I have read, Dish (Sling) was trying to hold the line on costs increases for customers and could not get DIsney to go along.

The releases I've read from Disney's perspective keep mentioning "market based" - which of course means price increases.

KUDOS to Dish for saying no.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
From everything I have read, Dish (Sling) was trying to hold the line on costs increases for customers and could not get DIsney to go along.

The releases I've read from Disney's perspective keep mentioning "market based" - which of course means price increases.

KUDOS to Dish for saying no.

You say kudos to Dish, but if they are anything like DTV, they raise their rates every year and their subscribers are always left to deal with blackouts and an eventual price increase regardless. I was always fortunate enough to get some sort of promotion(s) every year with DTV that kept my bill down, but I just got tired of playing the game with them and cancelled them back in August.

You say kudos to Dish, but if they are anything like DTV, they raise their rates every year and their subscribers are always left to deal with blackouts and an eventual price increase regardless. I was always fortunate enough to get some sort of promotion(s) every year with DTV that kept my bill down, but I just got tired of playing the game with them and cancelled them back in August.
Yeah DTV was willing to cut my bill in half when I told them I was leaving. That ticked me off even more knowing they knew they we gouging me.

That sucks they didn’t give people advance notice. What crappy business. Last year I upgraded my HULU to Hulu live… I’m happy with it. Hopefully rates don’t go up like everything else from rent to gas to bags of French fries are. This inflation we are experiencing is a scary thing.

maybe it's me but my Sling prices have been the same for awhile now. i pay like $55

Tyler the antenna man on YouTube had a video on this but I don’t know which video it is.all I know is that the consumer is always the loser.they will come to agreement and dish will raise the price to cover and we will have to pay for it.This has been going on for years.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Tyler the antenna man on YouTube had a video on this but I don’t know which video it is.all I know is that the consumer is always the loser.they will come to agreement and dish will raise the price to cover and we will have to pay for it.This has been going on for years.
Same on rent or anything else.

in lieu of the issue. i noticed Sling was temporarily offering me Sling Blue (i only have Sling Orange).

I see you have signed up with Hulu. They have the SEC network listed in their sports package, but do they, also, have the SEC+ channel? The USC women have 6 games scheduled on the SEC+ channel this coming year. Slingtv does have SEC+. Just wondering if anyone knows?
Thanks!

I see you have signed up with Hulu. They have the SEC network listed in their sports package, but do they, also, have the SEC+ channel? The USC women have 6 games scheduled on the SEC+ channel this coming year. Slingtv does have SEC+. Just wondering if anyone knows?
Thanks!
SEC+ is streaming only, so an ESPN+ sub is required for that, I believe. If you already have Hulu, it's a package deal with Disney+ as well. Just have to opt in.

Thanks!
Hulu Live TV comes with Disney+ and every ESPN channel... including all ESPN+ and SEC+ broadcasts.

Hulu Live TV comes with Disney+ and every ESPN channel... including all ESPN+ and SEC+ broadcasts.
Hulu does not have a SEC+ channel like Sling does, but yes Hulu does broadcast SEC+ games. You would have to choose the sport menu to view the game instead of looking for the channel.

Sling is now airing the ESPN channels along with SECN, but I do not know if all issues with renewing contract is settled. I think I will stick with Hulu for now since it does show the local channels (ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC) and has the Big 10 network along with all ESPN+ events and does not have excessive channels that I will never watch. It does cost me 15 extra dollars a month, but I feel it worth paying. I do appreciate Sling services from the last six years, and I am open to going back to Sling if Hulu starts to do gradual price hikes.

Hulu does not have a SEC+ channel like Sling does, but yes Hulu does broadcast SEC+ games. You would have to choose the sport menu to view the game instead of looking for the channel.
Interesting. I had no idea there was a dedicated SEC+ channel. All I know is I get all the games regardless if its ESPN+ or SEC+.

Interesting. I had no idea there was a dedicated SEC+ channel. All I know is I get all the games regardless if its ESPN+ or SEC+.
On Sling the SEC+ had its own channel. When you clicked on the channel you would select which game you wanted to view. Hulu has a different way of viewing the game, but you are correct, Hulu does show SEC+ games.

I like Sling fine. I'm not going to chase ESPN around. If Sling works it out, that's fine. If they don't, that's fine too. Just don't increase the costs.

Outside of sports TV is terrible.... Mainly watch Netflix or reruns of older shows - seriously thinking of canceling after football season and sign back up come 2023 football

Outside of sports TV is terrible.... Mainly watch Netflix or reruns of older shows - seriously thinking of canceling after football season and sign back up come 2023 football

I watch- almost exclusively- old tv shows and movies. Old meaning 60s and 70s. It's much cheaper. I'd say 90% of the tv I watch is over the antenna

Reactions: king ward
Admirable.

Thanks.

Andy Griffith (by far my fav - I was in Mt Airy a few weeks ago buying souvenirs)
Quincy
Emergency
Hogan's Heroes
Gomer Pyle
Bonanza
Gunsmoke
Green Acres

are staples at my house.

A "modern" tv show for our house is Seinfeld.

Plus, old movies on TCM is really what I have Sling for - as I love 50s and 60's Hollywood (Studio system).

I think my kids were teens before they realized that there such things as color tv shows except for cartoons.

I’ll fit in nicely at a nursing home watching the only thing my mind can remember. Which is old 60 and 70’ shows.

Thanks.

Andy Griffith (by far my fav - I was in Mt Airy a few weeks ago buying souvenirs)
Quincy
Emergency
Hogan's Heroes
Gomer Pyle
Bonanza
Gunsmoke
Green Acres

are staples at my house.

A "modern" tv show for our house is Seinfeld.

Plus, old movies on TCM is really what I have Sling for - as I love 50s and 60's Hollywood (Studio system).

I think my kids were teens before they realized that there such things as color tv shows except for cartoons.
If you don’t have it,you would love Pluto tv .if I had to, I would be satisfied with an outdoor antenna and Pluto for streaming.

I changed over from sling to YouTubeTV and it is much better!

Me too. Happy with YouTube TV. :cool: :).. Can DVR up to 6 games at Once. Can start Games from the Start, Live or Catch up with Big Plays. Only thing I don't like is the Charge $10/Month for 4K Streaming. Amazon there is no Extra Charge for 4K Content. Wife won't go for the Add-On Charge.

Me too. Happy with YouTube TV. :cool: :).. Can DVR up to 6 games at Once. Can start Games from the Start, Live or Catch up with Big Plays. Only thing I don't like is the Charge $10/Month for 4K Streaming. Amazon there is no Extra Charge for 4K Content. Wife won't go for the Add-On Charge.
Yeah I’m not paying extra for 4K. Hd is good enough for me

ADVERTISEMENT