ADVERTISEMENT

Currently watching the 1987 Gator Bowl on Youtube

I was there for that game. I remember getting a ticket free. Scalpers couldn't sell them for shit. Glad I did get in free. Ellis sucked as usual in big games, and we made Mike Archer look like a damn genius,

Someone posted earlier that USC never made adjustments defensively in that game and just stayed with the blitz. Wonder why? Dunn had as much time to prepare as LSU did. I wonder if Todd could have been a pro player without that injury. Hope Boom shows team film of how dirty NCS played/plays and motivates them to stomp NCS.
It was kinda like that game in which Ky kept running the jet sweep and what'shisname acted as if he couldn't even spell adjustment much less use it.

Greatest QBs in USC history...arguably
Shaw
Grantz
Wright
Suggs
Thompson
Ellis
In that order...
Current QB may make this top five if he continues on the same trajectory. Loved me some black magic defenses even if they were occasionally torched.

Every QB at Carolina since 2000 would be ahead of Todd Ellis except Perry Orth and Brandon McIlwain.

I'm I life long die hard, and also at the 87 Gator bowl. I was 9.

I can say unequivocally that except for the 84 team, there isn't a single position group from prior to 2000 that ranks anywhere close to what we have had since Lou got here. People say we dropped off in the 90s. We didn't drop off. We were about the same but we were playing in the SEC which took us from a 5-7 win average to a 3-5 average.

99% of the teams we fielded before 2000 sucked we just didn't know it. It's night and day.

I don't have any nostalgia for those days which is why I wish we would stick with the white helmet and garnet uniforms. Our best teams wore that. jmo

Respectfully disagree. 1987 was a really good team.

Typically I don't but calling Ellis one of the top QB's in school history is something i will argue.

And Ellis has kept himself as a public figure and open to scrutiny.

Ellis has been a really bad voice of the Gamecocks, and I have other reasons I'm not a Todd Ellis defender

Did you invest in Burn Lounge?

That sounds like Garcia before the SEC championship or a bowl game like the Outback vs Iowa, based on how fun his weeks were.

At some point pressure kicked in, we played tight, trying to be the first win, and then other teams knew if they scored first or something bad happened early, we would just unravel.

Don't forget Garcia prior to the 2010 Peach Bowl.

The only big game I can think of that Ellis won was the 87 Clemsux game.

He won a couple more:

'88 UGa
'88 NC State
'89 UGa

Reactions: DC-99 and jeff2001
The vaunted Joe Lee Dunn defenses were no match for well prepared upper level teams, which LSU certainly was. Hodson picked our defenders apart who were left on islands by our ineffective blitzing tactics.

Mike Archer worked up the kryptonite on Joe Lee Dunn. Moved two backs up. Both positioned behind the A Gap on either side of the center to pick up the blitzes. Gave Tommy Hodson time and it was a wrap.

Woody Myers being suspended for roids didn't help our offensive line play at all.

Reactions: cockthehammer#
Greatest QBs in USC history...arguably
Shaw
Grantz
Wright
Suggs
Thompson
Ellis
In that order...
Current QB may make this top five if he continues on the same trajectory. Loved me some black magic defenses even if they were occasionally torched.

Id put Garcia and A1 ahead of Ellis.

Also Ellis did get his shot in the pros. I watched him play a single down in a Broncos uniform in a preseason game. It may have been the last play of the game and he didnt pass, think it was a handoff or a knee.

Id put Garcia and A1 ahead of Ellis.

Also Ellis did get his shot in the pros. I watched him play a single down in a Broncos uniform in a preseason game. It may have been the last play of the game and he didnt pass, think it was a handoff or a knee.

Taneyhill did the same with the Jaguars. Got in & took a knee.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT