ADVERTISEMENT

D1Baseball has Yardcocks in their preseason Top 10 (link)

Why is UCLA # 4 last year record 25-30 ?
uzi.r191677.gif

Look, this is Holbrook's third year. The talent is in place, we recruit very well. There are no excuses. It's time to get back to our rightful place, Omaha. The fact of the matter is Tanner left this program in great shape, and it's slowly declining. Two years ago a loss in the supers, last year an absolutely unacceptable home loss in our own regional. Wake up and smell the coffee people! How long are you going to give Holbrook? I cannot believe people on here have such low expectations of our baseball program. That's pretty mind boggling.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by USCAndy:
Look, this is Holbrook's third year. The talent is in place, we recruit very well. There are no excuses. It's time to get back to our rightful place, Omaha. The fact of the matter is Tanner left this program in great shape, and it's slowly declining. Two years ago a loss in the supers, last year an absolutely unacceptable home loss in our own regional. Wake up and smell the coffee people! How long are you going to give Holbrook? I cannot believe people on here have such low expectations of our baseball program. That's pretty mind boggling.

Tanner retired at the right time for Tanner. Walker, Roth, Price, Marzilli, and Matthews were all on the way out.

Last year was inexcusable, and I acknowledge that. But try not to judge a baseball coach on two seasons where he tallied 43 and 44 wins. I also agree that Omaha is a must, but it doesn't have to be this year. Tanner didn't make Omaha his first 5 years here, and after making it 3 straight, he missed the next 5 years of CWS play.

Also remember Tanner had some immensely talented teams that didn't make the CWS. Justin Smoak, James Darnell, Reese Havens, and Phil Disher never made it to Omaha, and those were probably the most talented teams we had.
This post was edited on 1/19 10:59 PM by uscbeckham

So if we don't get Omaha this year we're running Holbrook out of town? O................................... k..........................................
7ma.jpg

Originally posted by uscbeckham:

Tanner retired at the right time for Tanner. Walker, Roth, Price, Marzilli, and Matthews were all on the way out.

Last year was inexcusable, and I acknowledge that. But try not to judge a baseball coach on two seasons where he tallied 43 and 44 wins. I also agree that Omaha is a must, but it doesn't have to be this year. Tanner didn't make Omaha his first 5 years here, and after making it 3 straight, he missed the next 5 years of CWS play.

Also remember Tanner had some immensely talented teams that didn't make the CWS. Justin Smoak, James Darnell, Reese Havens, and Phil Disher never made it to Omaha, and those were probably the most talented teams we had.
I think if we don't get to Omaha in the next few years, Tanner will be back coaching. In fact he might be back anyway. Holbrook may take a job offer somewhere else. He could be a pretty hot commodity and if Tanner feels the itch to coach again he might go. I mean Tanner hasn't really done much of anything in his short time as AD. He has been overseeing things that were already in motion. He must have one of the least stressful jobs right now. Maybe that is what he wants but maybe he get's bored. Tanner could be like the Barry Alvarez of USC.

This post was edited on 1/19 11:12 PM by ReadR00ster

Originally posted by uscbeckham:

And Holbrook's 1st year at the helm USC had some attrition and injury in the pitching ranks, and basically had a 2-man bullpen. We were that close to making it 4 CWSs in a row, and Holbrook's 1st in his initial season as HC.

We are returning the majority of a stellar pitching corps for 2015 - return 2 of 3 weekend starters in Crowe and Wynkoop, plus most of our top BP guys in Reagan, Mincey, Fiori, Widener, Scott, plus others who we are high on but didn't get to play much last season in Vogel and Parke. We should have another solid pitching staff again.

As for the regulars, we return our top hitter in K-Mart, and return Bright, Schrock, Mooney, Arendas, Cone, Gore, & Caldwell. That's almost a starting nine right there. We just need to find a catcher and develop some depth out of the excellent incoming class of talent we'll have. I am excited for the prospects of the season....

Originally posted by uscdoug:

Originally posted by ReadR00ster:

. I mean Tanner hasn't really done much of anything in his short time as AD. He has been overseeing things that were already in motion. He must have one of the least stressful jobs right now.
Really?......WOW!
Though it is sure to change, he is mostly correct. Tanner hasn't had to make any huge hires in the big 4 sports. Also, most of the facility upgrades were already on the drawing board.

What he has done is secured funding, continued the balanced budget, and kept facility improvements going. He also made improvements to the TV infrastructure on campus, made sponsor deals, hired Bloom, and axed the WLX idea in favor of Sand Volleyball, which was an excellent move.

So far, Tanner's tenure is good. I believe that his hiring of our next football coach will be the story of his tenure though, and it should be. It pays the bills.

Originally posted by Freddie.B.Cocky:

Originally posted by USCBatgirl21:

It's a bit generous, IMO.
USCBatgirl21, when you say that it makes me worried.
I simply don't believe we are a preseason #5 team. There are still questions to be answered with the losses from last season. I think Collegiate Baseball/Baseball America (can't remember which one) got it right at #21. We got this ranking b/c of our name, IMO.

We're going to give CCH longer than 2-3 years. Many of us have tried over and over again to explain this to you Andy, and quite frankly, I'm done. There is no point anymore when people like me, KMart, Beckham, et al try to lay the facts out for you day after day after day and you refuse to listen.

Personally, I think we'll be better than last year. Most of our underclassmen looked very well coached at the plate. And they were more inclined to hit in a way that's best for the particular situation at hand. Not sure what we'll be adding to that, but IMO (at the very least) a strong foundation is there offensively... assuming they keep doing what they're doing. The biggest question is how we compare pitching wise with the new ball. I don't know if anyone knows who has the upper hand until the games start. I'm excited to see how that plays out.

ADVERTISEMENT