ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo’s Thoughts on Expansion

Carolina4

Oct 9, 2006
Says he believes down the road there will be a 60-team conference with its’ own commissioner. I’m sure we’ll be one of the 60 so could be ok. I prefer 60 as opposed to 25-40. Would really hurt the smaller programs that get left out. Will be interested to see where the Vanderbilts, Dukes, and other schools fall in this…is it just a Football Conference or will it be for all sports? When you look at the Top 60 programs…there are some fan bases that will be devastated by this.

Says he believes down the road there will be a 60-team conference with its’ own commissioner. I’m sure we’ll be one of the 60 so could be ok. I prefer 60 as opposed to 25-40. Would really hurt the smaller programs that get left out. Will be interested to see where the Vanderbilts, Dukes, and other schools fall in this…is it just a Football Conference or will it be for all sports? When you look at the Top 60 programs…there are some fan bases that will be devastated by this.
Absolutely. I can see where a lot of schools will be left hanging in mid air

Probably just for football. That’s where the big money is. It’s always about money and power.
Schools make more money off of football but the NCAA itself makes way more off of basketball...it's not even close.

There is a lot of money to made by schools/conferences breaking away from the NCAA and negotiating their own deals. Not sure if that will ever happen.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
The NCAA is as good as dead. At least for College Football. When the NCAA Commissioner says as much, you know it’s coming. This, combined with the NIL is all just the beginning of the process. But it’s happening.

Reactions: Cybercock
Dabo? You mean the man nobody is talking about? Trying to grab some air time.

I think its odd he said 60 teams. Right now there are 64 P5 football teams.
SEC - 14
ACC - 14
Big Ten 14
Big 12 - 10
Pac - 12

SEC - 14
ACC - 14
Big Ten 14
Big 12 - 10
Pac - 12
Cant leave ND out of the conversation.

But will Texas Tech, Baylor and TCU remain P-5s when there are now only going to be four P-conferences,

(I like Okie State and Iowa State/ Hope they survive.)

Reactions: caughtlookin
Cant leave ND out of the conversation.

But will Texas Tech, Baylor and TCU remain P-5s when there are now only going to be four P-conferences,

(I like Okie State and Iowa State/ Hope they survive.)
You are right, add Notre Dame to it and there are 65 P5 teams.
Are we heading toward a 16 team playoff?

SEC - 14
ACC - 14
Big Ten 14
Big 12 - 10
Pac - 12
So if you take out some of the basketball schools like Kansas, Duke, Vanderbilt, etc…. He might have just been saying approximately, but I definitely think some teams will be left out. I could see a UCF be a part of it and one of those schools left out.

I’m not sure Dabo knows what’s going to happen, but we’re definitely headed this direction in some form or another. I did read where Florida State is ready to be proactive and would likely want to partner with Clemson to do something. You can bet the ACC is active right now in conversations…but I don’t see how they do it unless Notre Dame comes in. There is nobody they could really add to make them nearly as competitive as the SEC. I think in the end the SEC and Big 10 will be the only conferences to survive. ACC will eventually get raided.

The one good thing about expansion and eventual super conference formation is that we’ll never have to hear about the merits of the G5 schools again.

IMHO, there should be a 32 team league, even thought we might be left out.

We DO seem to be on the road to the absurd.
We will be limited by the inclination of some of the Big Boys not to go along. Even now, the Big 10 and ND do not have any financial guns to their heads and they don't need to be stampeded into anything. I still see four conferences eventually - three at the least.

Schools should do a runaround of the NCAA. Why allow that now worthless organization to leach millions off of March Madness? Let them regulate ice hockey or softball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT