ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo vs. Muschamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

5pointsalum16

Dec 22, 2015
Columbia, SC
Who will be more successful over the next 5 years? Comparing coaches has always been intriguing to me. I'm talking about everything from wins/losses, recruiting, building/maintaining a standard of excellence, etc. Who is a more knowledgable coach? Who would you rather have as a program leader? I am leaning a little towards Muschamp because I think he probably knows the game better and he seems like an incredibly hard worker. Any thoughts?

Who will be more successful over the next 5 years? Comparing coaches has always been intriguing to me. I'm talking about everything from wins/losses, recruiting, building/maintaining a standard of excellence, etc. Who is a more knowledgable coach? Who would you rather have as a program leader? I am leaning a little towards Muschamp because I think he probably knows the game better and he seems like an incredibly hard worker. Any thoughts?
Have you seen the world we live in? It's Dabo, everything goes to the lowest common denominator.

It's not just Dabo VS Muschamp. No way ACC Clemson competes with SEC Carolina over the next five years.

Reactions: NetworkX
TODD BLACKLEDGE REGARDING THE ORANGE BOWL AND DABO :
Blackledge added that Clemson has an X-factor in head coach Dabo Swinney. Blackledge said Swinney has taken Clemson to an elite level.

“Dabo, he is one of my favorite guys because of his energy and his passion. When you talk to him in a production meeting, he gets you fired up. He's genuine and real, and he's always turned on like that,” he said. :”Where that has always played out in his career is recruiting. He's always been able to recruit and attract talent, and he's very charismatic like that. But where he's really improved and is beginning to show himself a little bit - and people have been slow to give him credit - is how good of a coach he is. He has taken Clemson to an elite status in college football. Even this year, I think a lot of people on the outside were waiting for Clemson to stub their toe or stumble, and they didn't do it.

“They are the only team that didn't. And not only did they win, but they also won some impressive games against some high-caliber opponents. I think he's not only taken Clemson to a new level, in the eyes of people who cover college football he's gone to a different level. Not just this charismatic, energetic, team-building and great recruiting guy, but also a guy who along with his staff can coach the heck out of football.”

BUT YEAH, MUSCHAMP WILL STOMP DABO.

Just keep believing that

Reactions: NetworkX
Blackledge added that Clemson has an X-factor in head coach Dabo Swinney. Blackledge said Swinney has taken Clemson to an elite level.

“Dabo, he is one of my favorite guys because of his energy and his passion. When you talk to him in a production meeting, he gets you fired up. He's genuine and real, and he's always turned on like that,” he said. :”Where that has always played out in his career is recruiting. He's always been able to recruit and attract talent, and he's very charismatic like that. But where he's really improved and is beginning to show himself a little bit - and people have been slow to give him credit - is how good of a coach he is. He has taken Clemson to an elite status in college football. Even this year, I think a lot of people on the outside were waiting for Clemson to stub their toe or stumble, and they didn't do it.

“They are the only team that didn't. And not only did they win, but they also won some impressive games against some high-caliber opponents. I think he's not only taken Clemson to a new level, in the eyes of people who cover college football he's gone to a different level. Not just this charismatic, energetic, team-building and great recruiting guy, but also a guy who along with his staff can coach the heck out of football.”

I acknowledge his enthusiasm and energy and understand how that translates into effective recruiting. As far as him being "real" and "genuine" I don't see it. Maybe it's the aw shucks, country bumpkin persona. Maybe it's the fact that a man nearly fifty years old calls himself Dabo. Or the dancing and goofy, childish antics. That just does not appeal to me. I want a guy making millions of dollars and representing my university to speak grammatically correct English and act like a grown up. I think it's all a well played act. Yes, what you see is basically his personality, but he plays it up for the cameras and is very shrewd. Dabo is like a businessman or politician. He has crafted a message and honed it over the years into a stump speech and now he repeats it every chance he gets. He is very media savvy. He knows how to get his message out, whether it is a scripted, rehearsed rant such as The Real Carolina or Bring Your Own Guts or a thirty second pre halftime interview as he walks off the field. The man is smart that way. Brilliant even. He will do whatever it takes to sell himself and his program and protects it with an almost cult like fervor. He has even used his faith to sell the program.

Every so often even Dabo slips up and you can get a peek behind the curtain at the true man. When he was pulled by the police officer for speeding, you certainly did not see an affable ol country boy yucking it up and Dabbing. Rather, the camera caught an angry, outraged, indignant, rude and churlish redneck. Same thing when reporters question him too much or challenge him, as with the DJ Reader incident this Fall. He snapped and went off point briefly. You can also see it with team discipline. Sure, he'll preach religion and ethics and the "specialness" of Clemson. He'll act like nothing bad ever happens at Clemson. Then you see him not discipline Joe Craig after he beats his girlfriend with a towel rod. In fact, he kept that and other incidents out of the media for as long as possible. It's all about branding, control, and messaging. He does it better than anyone.
At the end of the day the man has built a winning program and the recruiting is phenomenal. And he's not breaking any rules. Give him credit. But don't act like he is some "keep it real" guy. He is far, far from it.

Bu
I acknowledge his enthusiasm and energy and understand how that translates into effective recruiting. As far as him being "real" and "genuine" I don't see it. Maybe it's the aw shucks, country bumpkin persona. Maybe it's the fact that a man nearly fifty years old calls himself Dabo. Or the dancing and goofy, childish antics. That just does not appeal to me. I want a guy making millions of dollars and representing my university to speak grammatically correct English and act like a grown up. I think it's all a well played act. Yes, what you see is basically his personality, but he plays it up for the cameras and is very shrewd. Dabo is like a businessman or politician. He has crafted a message and honed it over the years into a stump speech and now he repeats it every chance he gets. He is very media savvy. He knows how to get his message out, whether it is a scripted, rehearsed rant such as The Real Carolina or Bring Your Own Guts or a thirty second pre halftime interview as he walks off the field. The man is smart that way. Brilliant even. He will do whatever it takes to sell himself and his program and protects it with an almost cult like fervor. He has even used his faith to sell the program.

Every so often even Dabo slips up and you can get a peek behind the curtain at the true man. When he was pulled by the police officer for speeding, you certainly did not see an affable ol country boy yucking it up and Dabbing. Rather, the camera caught an angry, outraged, indignant, rude and churlish redneck. Same thing when reporters question him too much or challenge him, as with the DJ Reader incident this Fall. He snapped and went off point briefly. You can also see it with team discipline. Sure, he'll preach religion and ethics and the "specialness" of Clemson. He'll act like nothing bad ever happens at Clemson. Then you see him not discipline Joe Craig after he beats his girlfriend with a towel rod. In fact, he kept that and other incidents out of the media for as long as possible. It's all about branding, control, and messaging. He does it better than anyone.
At the end of the day the man has built a winning program and the recruiting is phenomenal. And he's not breaking any rules. Give him credit. But don't like he is some "keep it real" guy. He is far, far from it.
But who would you rather have as our coach? Dabo and co or Muschamp and co?

Reactions: colt seavers
I dont have enough data to make that assessment at this point. I need to see what Muschamp can do at USC. It's a completely different situation than UF.
Fair enough. I still think Muschamp and co will end up getting the last laugh. Call me crazy but who knows. Loads of respect for what Dabo has done though in the upstate. They've truly developed a little dynasty since that clown has taken over the reigns as head coach.

Apples and Oranges....Muschamp is likely the better coach and better fit for us....Dabo has so far proven to be a better manager of a team and is a perfect fit for Clemson in terms of marketing, etc. They have become the Oregon Ducks of the East on his watch.

As far as the projected 5yr success ~ realistically would have to say Dabo at this point....That's not to say we don't have a chance of winning the head-to-head matchups ~ just in terms of overall success when you consider the road they have to travel. With the way they have been recruiting and with few ACC obstacles, they should have a decent chance at the playoffs on a regular basis.

Apples and Oranges....Muschamp is likely the better coach and better fit for us....Dabo has so far proven to be a better manager of a team and is a perfect fit for Clemson in terms of marketing, etc. They have become the Oregon Ducks of the East on his watch.

As far as the projected 5yr success ~ realistically would have to say Dabo at this point....That's not to say we don't have a chance of winning the head-to-head matchups ~ just in terms of overall success when you consider the road they have to travel. With the way they have been recruiting and with few ACC obstacles, they should have a decent chance at the playoffs on a regular basis.
Unfortunately, that's terrifying as a Carolina fan.

Dabo will field his most talented team nxt year , rd trips to ND, FSU,and Aub, be tough to get back.

At the end of the day the man has built a winning program and the recruiting is phenomenal. And he's not breaking any rules. Give him credit. But don't act like he is some "keep it real" guy. He is far, far from it.

Have you personally met Dabo?

Muschamp is the better recruiter. He's landed great recruits at every school he's coached, not just Florida as some suggest. Muschamp seems to be more of an X's and O's type coach, and has a more hands on type approach. Dabo has put together a great staff, built the Clemson brand, and sells the Clemson experience at every given opportunity. I'm not sure if Clemson will be able to keep Venebles for 5 more seasons. Clemson has had terrific skill players and strong offenses for years, but they didn't start competing at this current level until Venebles built/buttoned up the defense. Venebles would be a very tough coordinator to replace. I think even Clemson fans would agree.

Reactions: blsinsc

He said "genuine and real". Nothing else he says is worth reading after that.

I personally dislike clemson as much or more than the next guy but right now the reality is, there is nothing to debate. Dabo currently has the #1 team, a top 20 recruiting class, almost the whole team coming back including a heisman contender, and was named national coach of the year.
Muschamp so far seems to be exactly what we need, a young energetic coach who can recruit and has a chip on his shoulder but he hasn't proven anything yet. Give it time, hopefully in a couple years Ray will look like a genius , but right now it's nothing but hope

Muschamp is the better recruiter. He's landed great recruits at every school he's coached, not just Florida as some suggest. Muschamp seems to be more of an X's and O's type coach, and has a more hands on type approach. Dabo has put together a great staff, built the Clemson brand, and sells the Clemson experience at every given opportunity. I'm not sure if Clemson will be able to keep Venebles for 5 more seasons. Clemson has had terrific skill players and strong offenses for years, but they didn't start competing at this current level until Venebles built/buttoned up the defense. Venebles would be a very tough coordinator to replace. I think even Clemson fans would agree.

Yes, he will be tough to replace. But with the salary they are willing to pay at that position, it probably won't be as difficult as some think. At the same time, Venebles has publicly stated he is not interested in a HC gig. Who knows if he is being truthful?

I'd like to think I could land big recruits at auburn Florida and texas. Sc is his biggest test so far. Seems to be doing well.

Have you personally met Dabo?

I have seen him speak, but have not met him one on one. In all fairness, that type of personality...the aw shucks country bubba....the goofiness....it's just not for me, so no matter what, I am not going to fall for the man. We have a VP at my company who I swear is a dead ringer for Dabo and I don't much care for him either although many here do. It was the same thing with Lou Holtz. He was our coach, so I supported him, but I never liked the man. When folks would rave about Coach Lou and his motivational brilliance, I never got it. No matter what, for the purpose of this thread, Swinney (see, it feels weird to call him that...somehow he has packaged himself as Dabo, like Madonna or Cher, he has this one name thing going) has done remarkable things at Clemson and as far as I can tell, the future of the program looks bright.

It's so obvious you've never met the man.

Reactions: lexgamecock
Its hard to' draw comparisons because of the vast amount of difference between the ACC and the SEC. Only in the ACC could Dabo and Clemson have the success they currently enjoy. With all things being equal, yeah, I'll take Muschamp over Swinney in recruiting and coaching any day.

After Swinney gets exposed by the Sooners all this Dabo this and that praise will be over.

What's funny is go back to his first couple of seasons. No one was talking about Dabo's magnetic personality or brilliance or "realness.". They were talking about the losses and ineffective assistants and losing to South Florida in a bowl and stuff like that. He was close the being fired. Dabo has flaws. He made great hires in Morris and Venables and has the ability to connect with young people, mostly by acting like one of them. I am just not buying all the hype. He is a shrewd salesman who has done a remarkable job of selling his brand of Clemson to a lot of kids. And again, in fairness, it has worked well.

Its hard to' draw comparisons because of the vast amount of difference between the ACC and the SEC. Only in the ACC could Dabo and Clemson have the success they currently enjoy. With all things being equal, yeah, I'll take Muschamp over Swinney in recruiting and coaching any day.

After Swinney gets exposed by the Sooners all this Dabo this and that praise will be over.
Have you checked the the division you're in the last 5 years, or you just spout off crap with no clue as usual ?

Recent SEC coaching history is not stacked in Muschamps Favor.

Of coaches that had a job in the SEC when Steve Spurrier was hired (2005 season) Only one still has his job, Les Miles..........and he's got a GREAT job security right?

But wait.... look back more recently... coaches hired between 2006 and 2011 that still have their SEC head coaching job...... Two- Nick Saban and Dan Mullen.

Everywhere else has been a turnstile that spins every 3-5 years (save UGA & Missouri.... who both have brand new head coaches). It's pretty unlikely Muschamp makes it to 2020 season, especially since he's following "The Guy."

Reactions: TigerJohnson
Why pose this question NOW?
Dabo is taking his team to the playoff. Muschamp has a long road to go to prove himself as a head coach.
Who knows where Dabo will end up?
Muschamp?
If you have to guess now, you'd have to go with Dabo, unless you're just a straight blind homer. As much as I don't really care for Dabo, he has seemingly done a 180 at Clemson.
I for one have high hopes for Muschamp here, but, damn, let it play out.

Muschamp can't be compared to Dabo. The guy could have a National Title this year.He wins what 90% of his games. There on a roll Nationally as good as any program right now. Hate to say that but Muschamp would have to get us to heights never reached to be on that level right now. Tons of work ahead just to get us to 8-9 win team.

Reactions: TIGERGOAT
One built a National Contender at Clemson,the other failed at Florida, not a hard call.If you can't win at Florida, with it's built in recruiting, you're not fit to coach in a Power 5 conference.

Not always the case there Magellan. Two totally different situations. Just because it didnt work there doesnt mean it wont here. That is Tater logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT