ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo vs. Muschamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why pose this question NOW?
Dabo is taking his team to the playoff. Muschamp has a long road to go to prove himself as a head coach.
Who knows where Dabo will end up?
Muschamp?
If you have to guess now, you'd have to go with Dabo, unless you're just a straight blind homer. As much as I don't really care for Dabo, he has seemingly done a 180 at Clemson.
I for one have high hopes for Muschamp here, but, damn, let it play out.
This is a message board. People like to discuss things.

Reactions: Matte Black
Take away the names.

Coach A is 28-21, with a 2-1 bowl record.

Coach B is 74-26, 4-3 bowl record.

Yeah I would go with the second guy. Just me.
That doesn't really make sense considering how much longer Dabo has coached. If you want to compare their first 49 games:

Coach A is 28-21, with a 2-1 bowl record
Coach B is 30-19 with a 1-3 bowl record

Far closer.

One built a National Contender at Clemson,the other failed at Florida, not a hard call.If you can't win at Florida, with it's built in recruiting, you're not fit to coach in a Power 5 conference.

I failed as a husband my first time around, but I'm doing pretty awesome this time around, so sometimes second chances can work out.

Muschamp won 11 games and the Sugar Bowl at Florida, so it wasn't a complete failure. He's proven what he can do on the recruiting trail and on the defensive side of the ball. He spent the past year under one of the most prolific offensive coaches in the SEC, so my guess is maybe he learned a few things. Roper has coached under David Cutcliffe and Joker Phillips, so he's long been a part of successful offenses. In Roper's 1 season at Florida the offense improved significantly in total offense, yards per game, rushing yards per game, passing yards per game, and went from averaging 18.8 points per game to averaging 30.3 points per game. It's a great time to be a Gamecock! SpursUp

Reactions: Bbbrash2
Who will be more successful over the next 5 years? Comparing coaches has always been intriguing to me. I'm talking about everything from wins/losses, recruiting, building/maintaining a standard of excellence, etc. Who is a more knowledgable coach? Who would you rather have as a program leader? I am leaning a little towards Muschamp because I think he probably knows the game better and he seems like an incredibly hard worker. Any thoughts?

I'll wait to see how we look this year before starting judgement...............we need a winning season and marked improvement on defense........then I'll feel better. But so far, WM is an A+ for effort.

Take away the names.

Coach A is 28-21, with a 2-1 bowl record.

Coach B is 74-26, 4-3 bowl record.

Yeah I would go with the second guy. Just me.

Coach B might be the coach of a Southern Conference team and Coach A might be the coach of ......oh say..........an SEC team. That throws another wrench into the decision. This isn't hard and life sometimes works out like this. You can't say when Dabo was named interim coach, that it remotely made sense based on his coaching ability and position at the time. Any Clemson fan that says they were excited with that hire at that time is basically lying.

Now, with that said, Dabo has parlayed this into being smart enough to get good assistants, recruit hard, love his school, show passion for his team...........and now he's successful. So he overachieved..........That's a good think IMO. If WM does the same, then he will have over achieved as well.

Reactions: Tidal Creek Cock
200w.gif

Have you checked the the division you're in the last 5 years, or you just spout off crap with no clue as usual ?

The SEC has 10 teams (3 from the East) going to Bowl games this season, and 9 of those 10 teams are favored to win.

The ACC has 9 teams (4 from the Atlantic) going to Bowl games this season, and only 2 (VT, FSU) of those 9 are favored to win.

The ACC Atlantic had an overall 2015 record of 47 - 38.
The SEC East had an overall 2015 record of 45 - 40.

You shouldn't accuse others of spouting off crap, while you're doing the exact same thing. The SEC East may have been down by usual standards, but still had virtually the same season record as the ACC Atlantic.

And just for fun, I did check the division we're in over the past 5 years, then I checked the division Clemson is in over the past 5 years..... Maybe you should've done that before spouting off about the SEC East???

ACC Atlantic has a combined 5 season record of 233 - 185.
SEC East has a combined 5 season record of 245 - 184.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ootball-bowl-betting-odds-9-sec-teams-favored

Last edited:
Muschamp can't be compared to Dabo. The guy could have a National Title this year.He wins what 90% of his games. There on a roll Nationally as good as any program right now. Hate to say that but Muschamp would have to get us to heights never reached to be on that level right now. Tons of work ahead just to get us to 8-9 win team.

You should check your math if you think Dabo has a 90% winning percentage. Did you just pull this number out at random?

Reactions: howard13
That doesn't really make sense considering how much longer Dabo has coached. If you want to compare their first 49 games:

Far closer.

Convenient to frame it that way, but your recent trajectory has more to do with the what can be expected over the next 5 years.

If you compare Steve Spurrier's first 5 years at Florida to his first 5 years at South Carolina, how does that check out? You can't move the timeline's around until they fit your point of view. It is what it is.

I failed as a husband my first time around, but I'm doing pretty awesome this time around, so sometimes second chances can work out.

Muschamp won 11 games and the Sugar Bowl at Florida, so it wasn't a complete failure. He's proven what he can do on the recruiting trail and on the defensive side of the ball. He spent the past year under one of the most prolific offensive coaches in the SEC, so my guess is maybe he learned a few things. Roper has coached under David Cutcliffe and Joker Phillips, so he's long been a part of successful offenses. In Roper's 1 season at Florida the offense improved significantly in total offense, yards per game, rushing yards per game, passing yards per game, and went from averaging 18.8 points per game to averaging 30.3 points per game. It's a great time to be a Gamecock! SpursUp
Muschamp has never won the sugar bowl. They got thumped by Louisville out of the big East (their last year before moving to the acc).

The SEC has 10 teams (3 from the East) going to Bowl games this season, and 9 of those 10 teams are favored to win.

The ACC has 9 teams (4 from the Atlantic) going to Bowl games this season, and only 2 (VT, FSU) of those 9 are favored to win.

The ACC Atlantic had an overall 2015 record of 47 - 38.
The SEC East had an overall 2015 record of 45 - 40.

You shouldn't accuse others of spouting off crap, while you're doing the exact same thing. The SEC East may have been down by usual standards, but still had virtually the same season record as the ACC Atlantic.

And just for fun, I did check the division we're in over the past 5 years, then I checked the division Clemson is in over the past 5 years..... Maybe you should've done that before spouting off about the SEC East???

ACC Atlantic has a combined 5 season record of 233 - 185.
SEC East has a combined 5 season record of 245 - 184.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ootball-bowl-betting-odds-9-sec-teams-favored

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...est-sec-east-division-rankings-advanced-stats

The acc Atlantic was the 2nd best division in the lower 5 this year.
The sec East was the worst. This was written before sc lost to the citadel, Georgia went into ot with Georgia southern, and Florida went into ot with fau.

Convenient to frame it that way, but your recent trajectory has more to do with the what can be expected over the next 5 years.

If you compare Steve Spurrier's first 5 years at Florida to his first 5 years at South Carolina, how does that check out? You can't move the timeline's around until they fit your point of view. It is what it is.
Then would you agree that comparing wins and losses is not the best way to compare coaches? Forget about Dabo and Muschamp when answering that.

Far closer.

Dabo took over a program that was bad enough that the coach "resigned" half way through the season. Muschamp took over a Florida program that was winning championships. That's a lot different.

Its hard to' draw comparisons because of the vast amount of difference between the ACC and the SEC. Only in the ACC could Dabo and Clemson have the success they currently enjoy. With all things being equal, yeah, I'll take Muschamp over Swinney in recruiting and coaching any day.

After Swinney gets exposed by the Sooners all this Dabo this and that praise will be over.
Get exposed - like LSU, Ohio State,Auburn, and Oklahoma were suppose to do. We have played 13 games and won them all. If we were going to get exposed then we would have been already.

Then would you agree that comparing wins and losses is not the best way to compare coaches? Forget about Dabo and Muschamp when answering that.

I think:
Coaching effectiveness is based on wins & losses
Coaching job security is based on wins & losses
Coaching compensation is based on wins & losses
Coaching Hall of Fame ballots are based on wins & losses
Coach of the Year Ballots are based on wins & losses

If you don't want to use wins & losses, what would you recommend?

I think comparing Muschamp to Dabo for the next 3-4 years will get Muschamp fired. Dabo is one of the very few coaches in college football that has his program firing on all cylinders and it took him 7 years to build it to that point.

To be fair to Will Muschamp, his job should be viewed as a total program rebuild, which usually takes 4-5 years (unlike programs loaded with talent that are just missing a solid coaching staff.... Ohio State for example).

I acknowledge his enthusiasm and energy and understand how that translates into effective recruiting. As far as him being "real" and "genuine" I don't see it. Maybe it's the aw shucks, country bumpkin persona. Maybe it's the fact that a man nearly fifty years old calls himself Dabo. Or the dancing and goofy, childish antics. That just does not appeal to me. I want a guy making millions of dollars and representing my university to speak grammatically correct English and act like a grown up. I think it's all a well played act. Yes, what you see is basically his personality, but he plays it up for the cameras and is very shrewd. Dabo is like a businessman or politician. He has crafted a message and honed it over the years into a stump speech and now he repeats it every chance he gets. He is very media savvy. He knows how to get his message out, whether it is a scripted, rehearsed rant such as The Real Carolina or Bring Your Own Guts or a thirty second pre halftime interview as he walks off the field. The man is smart that way. Brilliant even. He will do whatever it takes to sell himself and his program and protects it with an almost cult like fervor. He has even used his faith to sell the program.

Every so often even Dabo slips up and you can get a peek behind the curtain at the true man. When he was pulled by the police officer for speeding, you certainly did not see an affable ol country boy yucking it up and Dabbing. Rather, the camera caught an angry, outraged, indignant, rude and churlish redneck. Same thing when reporters question him too much or challenge him, as with the DJ Reader incident this Fall. He snapped and went off point briefly. You can also see it with team discipline. Sure, he'll preach religion and ethics and the "specialness" of Clemson. He'll act like nothing bad ever happens at Clemson. Then you see him not discipline Joe Craig after he beats his girlfriend with a towel rod. In fact, he kept that and other incidents out of the media for as long as possible. It's all about branding, control, and messaging. He does it better than anyone.
At the end of the day the man has built a winning program and the recruiting is phenomenal. And he's not breaking any rules. Give him credit. But don't act like he is some "keep it real" guy. He is far, far from it.
Never forget Dumbos infamous disingenuous rant against USC that he tried to portray as off the cuff, he not only practiced and orchestrated it, he set it up with the reporters to come off as a casual answer. Pure BS. Just like he is.

Reactions: howard13
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...est-sec-east-division-rankings-advanced-stats

The acc Atlantic was the 2nd best division in the lower 5 this year.
The sec East was the worst. This was written before sc lost to the citadel, Georgia went into ot with Georgia southern, and Florida went into ot with fau.

Yeah..... lets just ignore actual facts and record's, and let's just go by Bill Connelly's S&P ratings...
One man's ratings doesn't change the 2 divisions overall records.

Clemson is 9-11 from 2006-2015, the last ten seasons.

So, in its last 20 SEC games, Clemson is 9-11. Yet, we are all supposed to believe that if Clemson was in the SECE they would still have double digit wins every year and would be playing in the CFP. Sorry, the facts simply do not support that. Clemson's success is largely built on playing in a dumpster fire of a conference.

Yeah..... lets just ignore actual facts and record's, and let's just go by Bill Connelly's S&P ratings...
One man's ratings doesn't change the 2 divisions overall records.
And yet your trying to prove your point using betting odds? If you are trying to argue the sec East is better than the acc Atlantic, you just haven't been paying attention. And in case you try to look at records from 5 years back again for some crazy reason, I'm only talking about the last couple years. The acc atlantic has 2 top ten teams, more bowl game participants, has no losses against fcs teams.

Don't forget the SEC championship game..... even though some might prefer to.
Correct. Not counting that for the sake of everyone's argument on here. The argument is whether or not Clemson's record would be better. Had Clemson played Auburn two times in 2010, they would've lost twice as well. I only counted the one time. In fact, CU and USC were back to back games for AU that year.

By the way, coming from someone who saw Cam back then. They didn't figure out how to use him until the second half of our game at Auburn. We had a close game the first time, and at one point, we were up 20-7. Once he got started, we couldn't stop them. The SEC CG was a continuation of the second half of that game, unfortunately.

I created this thread and after reading all the comments/facts/opinions I'll give my two cents...

I believe if you compare the two coaches right now, it's not even a thought. Dabo is so far ahead of Muschamp it's laughable. If you were starting a college football program at any school in the country besides USC and Clem, every single athletic director would hire Dabo Swinney over Will Muschamp. But I think that is besides the point.

I think that Dabo will continue to win at Clemson and to be perfectly honest, I think they will end up winning a national championship this season. I think they have arguably the best deep ball throwing quarterback in the history of college football. Deshaun reminds me of Shaw in the sense that he's just a pure winner. He finds a way to get it done and has the supporting cast to beat any team he plays against. With that being said, in order for us to compete, we're simply going to have to match them in recruiting. I don't know how long Dabo is going to be able to maintain the staff that he has, but from what I can tell he loves to hire within so his coordinator success probably won't fade even if people leave. Muschamp has put together quite the staff over the last few weeks, so I am truly excited to see what he can do, however I will be honest I am definitely skeptical about what he will be able to achieve on the field in terms of X's and O's. I know we'll be solid on defense, but as we've seen with UF this season, a great defense isn't going to win you championships alone. After really thinking about it, I think we're somewhere around 5-10 years away from being able to truly compete with Clemson again. They have it made down there (play 2-3 tough games a year and cruise/pad stats the rest of the way) and that's easily enough to get them into the CFB playoff. Dabo has done a tremendous job of selling his program, and I think Muschamp gets that and has a similar strategy that should be effective for us. All in all, it's going to be fun to watch and I can't wait to see how it plays out. Forever to thee.

Reactions: TigerJohnson
Dabo took over a program that was bad enough that the coach "resigned" half way through the season. Muschamp took over a Florida program that was winning championships. That's a lot different.
It's really not. Bowden resigned at 3-3. Urban Meyer left UF when they were 8-5 (4-4 in the SEC). Meyer saw it was going to be an uphill climb and bolted.

Haha, I hope you see the irony in your last statement. It's ridiculous to take a coach's record over 8 years, when his best years have come at the end, and then hold it against a coach who has just had 4. They both started off eerily similar, off by a couple of games. If Muschamp is here for 7 years and you want to compare him to Dabo's first 7, that would be fine. To take Dabo's longer backended padded total record with several more years to make your argument then you're grasping at some major straws.

Reactions: BigTomE
Correct. Not counting that for the sake of everyone's argument on here. The argument is whether or not Clemson's record would be better. Had Clemson played Auburn two times in 2010, they would've lost twice as well. I only counted the one time. In fact, CU and USC were back to back games for AU that year.

By the way, coming from someone who saw Cam back then. They didn't figure out how to use him until the second half of our game at Auburn. We had a close game the first time, and at one point, we were up 20-7. Once he got started, we couldn't stop them. The SEC CG was a continuation of the second half of that game, unfortunately.

I was at the game in Auburn. I agree the Cam Newton train was just getting out of the station, but I do remember it being one of the most physical and competitive performances I've seen from two teams in a game. Certainly November Auburn was a lot better than November Clemson in 2010, no doubting that at all.

13-0 in the ACC gets you in the CFP. 12-1 in the SEC might well get you in the CFP. I think history and the modern layout of the SEC would leave us to believe Clemson's chances of going 13-0 are greater than South Carolina's chances of going 12-1 (regardless of what a school's record was in 2015). If the goal of your football program is to win a National Championship, I think Clemson is much better positioned for that than South Carolina.

One conference has a higher payout, the other provides and easier route to the national championship. Can't we all just agree on those two things? (one can still make the argument...if you want to..... that the higher payout will eventually flip the script on the later part of that statement..... I think that's where many gamecock fans are hanging their hat right now.)

Reactions: 5pointsalum16
Haha, I hope you see the irony in your last statement. It's ridiculous to take a coach's record over 8 years, when his best years have come at the end, and then hold it against a coach who has just had 4. They both started off eerily similar, off by a couple of games. If Muschamp is here for 7 years and you want to compare him to Dabo's first 7, that would be fine. To take Dabo's longer backended padded total record with several more years to make your argument then you're grasping at some major straws.
Even then, I still don't think Muschamp can have the success Dabo had as quickly as he did. We play in the SEC -- much harder to win.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/dabo-swinney-1.html

Who cares about all that SEC is tough crap. They are in the NC hunt just stop people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT