ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo's quote on Trevor Lawrence

cockymom2boys

Dec 28, 2000
First of all, I like Trevor Lawrence. I think he is a great athlete and seems to be an awesome young man.
2nd of all, I think Dabo has done a great job of coaching at Clemson. You can not minimize his coaching achievements.

But with that said, I really really really wish Dabo would stop making stmts like the one below.

"Yeah, (Lawrence) is special, man; the good Lord was in a good mood when he made him," Swinney said. "He must have had football on his mind that day because man, you look up the epitome of the quarterback, I mean, he's just the poster child in every area. " Dabo Sweeney Apr 23, 2021

Reactions: tkdgamecock
Typical Dabo Quote, and I don't care any more, doesn't get me riled up.

He had to switch it up from comparing a player to Jordan.

Reactions: PC31
Dabo's hardly invoking religion here. Growing up in the south, I couldn't recall how many times I heard people, Christian and non-Christian alike, use the phrase "the good Lord." All Dabo's saying is Trevor is a football specimen, which seems to be the consensus of every football person out there.

What's wrong with what he said.
Probably
[/QUOTE
I know the remark was said jokingly. But if you've ever spent much time with individuals who are suffering or have just been given a terminal diagnosis, the idea that God takes positive action when in good mood is ______.
I'll let you fill in the blank.

Reactions: rogue cock
Trevor was celebrating from his “family home” in Seneca. At least that’s what they said. Did his parents move the short distance from Cartersville to be “all in”?.
I certainly wouldn’t think he would have bought a house himself when he was about to move to an NFL city.
Maybe it was a friend of the family’s house and they misspoke.

Beyond him invoking religion every other word and- some would say- disrespectfully implying he knows what/ how God thinks, it implies that Trevor became the man he is and the player he has become through no effort. It was given to him at birth with the snap of the fingers from a magical being in the sky, not earned through hardwork and dedication over a lifetime.

FlawlessWholeBorer-max-1mb.gif

Beyond him invoking religion every other word and- some would say- disrespectfully implying he knows what/ how God thinks, it implies that Trevor became the man he is and the player he has become through no effort. It was given to him at birth with the snap of the fingers from a magical being in the sky, not earned through hardwork and dedication over a lifetime.
I really don’t think Dabo meant any of that and he has complimented Trevor’s work ethic numerous times through the years

Trevor has worked hard for where he is. Of course being 6’6 is a gift. Lots of hard working 5’9 high school QBs who will never play college ball

Reactions: Zann77
I was surprised Dabo was not at Trevor's House on the couch next to him or did I miss him?

The more I see these pictures sure looks like Trevor is kind of not really engaging Dabo to much and Dabo wants attention, not a knock just a observation :)

hi-res-eff8309b38ed95318637bbcf46d491bc_crop_north.jpg

USATSI_15345169.jpg

NegligibleShallowGonolek-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
I don't think that's how he was saying it. I took it as Trevor has God given talent. I believe everyone understands the hard work required to become the number 1 overall pick. Clowney had God given talent. The NFL is full of men, the top 1% athletically, they all have God given talent.

Reactions: adg4419 and Zann77
I’m not speaking for the OP, but I think the intent of the post may have been the wording that dabo used. He said that God was in a good mood and was thinking about football when He made Trevor. In reality, we all know that was not the case. God created all of us, on purpose, with purpose, and for a purpose. We all have unique talents. Trevor Lawrence is one heck of an athlete and football player. Nobody can dispute that.

It was a great day for the State, but I'm happy you guys are still having fun. Hopefully Trevor will have a big career!

It was a great day for the State, but I'm happy you guys are still having fun. Hopefully Trevor will have a big career!
May be a greater day for the state of Georgia, as that’s where he’s from.I wish the young man nothing but the best. I always have fun, and my fun has nothing to do with posting on an opposing teams message board. But you be you, guy. I’m sure you’re living your best life 🤙🏼🐔

Reactions: LegalTiger
God's name is to be revered and not flippantly invoked like Dabo did and even like SOS did when he said, "God is smiling on the Gamecocks." Now, before anyone accuses me of being sanctimonious, I've had my share of doing the same over my 53 years of life. Yet, it doesn't change the fact that God commands us not to use His name in vain.

Reactions: BigTomE
Wait. Dabo’s praising the generational quarterback that has lost 3 games since he started high-school, won 3 conference championships, a national championship, Heisman finalist, and drafted #1? The player everyone compares to Manning and Elway? The hell you say?

Nothing really wrong with what he said. He is just one of those guys who thinks God prefers clemson over the rest of the CFB world. He has a lot of fans up there believing the same. Were that true, they wouldn't have been spanked by tOSU, who were in turn spanked by Bama. No knock on Lawrence by me though.

I can't respond to EVERY person on here who insists on criticizing me or accuse me of criticizing Dabo for praising Trevor Lawrence.

As I started my post by saying, I think TL is a GREAT athlete. I think he is worthy of praise from Dabo.

What I don't like is the implication that God was in a good mood when he decided to gift TL with his athletic ability.

And this subject is probably too deep for this forum.

If you think Dabo's stmt is fine, that's your right. You can take my place sometime though when I stand in a hospital room of a child who has just died from cancer and try to answer the parents question of why.
And I've got a ton of examples like that.

First of all, I like Trevor Lawrence. I think he is a great athlete and seems to be an awesome young man.
2nd of all, I think Dabo has done a great job of coaching at Clemson. You can not minimize his coaching achievements.

But with that said, I really really really wish Dabo would stop making stmts like the one below.

"Yeah, (Lawrence) is special, man; the good Lord was in a good mood when he made him," Swinney said. "He must have had football on his mind that day because man, you look up the epitome of the quarterback, I mean, he's just the poster child in every area. " Dabo Sweeney Apr 23, 2021
So he shouldn’t say what he really thinks about the young man?

God's name is to be revered and not flippantly invoked like Dabo did and even like SOS did when he said, "God is smiling on the Gamecocks." Now, before anyone accuses me of being sanctimonious, I've had my share of doing the same over my 53 years of life. Yet, it doesn't change the fact that God commands us not to use His name in vain.
God is a title. It's not his name

Reactions: birdmanCU
So he shouldn’t say what he really thinks about the young man?
Ofcourse Dabo can say whatever he wants. And there are a million different ways to praise a very deserving TL.
But....
If u think God gave TL extraordinary athletic ability because God was in a good mood, I have nothing more to say to you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT