ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo's quote on Trevor Lawrence

I don't think he literally meant God was thinking about football

Don't be so sure. Remember this story from his interim coaching tenure.

"One morning in the midst of the uncertainty, Swinney pulled his car into the head coach’s parking space. In the predawn darkness, his headlights illuminated the parking space’s number – 88 – the same number he wore when he was a wide receiver at the University of Alabama. He took it as a positive sign. “It was kind of like God was saying, ‘Hang in there, I’ve got your back,’?” he said, then he paused to regain his composure"

Makes sense. Because I'm sure God's priority is painting parking space numbers at Clemson to uplift Dabo.

"One morning in the midst of the uncertainty, Swinney pulled his car into the head coach’s parking space. In the predawn darkness, his headlights illuminated the parking space’s number – 88 – the same number he wore when he was a wide receiver at the University of Alabama. He took it as a positive sign. “It was kind of like God was saying, ‘Hang in there, I’ve got your back,’?” he said, then he paused to regain his composure"

Makes sense. Because I'm sure God's priority is painting parking space numbers at Clemson to uplift Dabo.
You really like to put limits on God's abilities to multi-task, don't you? Did you miss: "Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?" Matt 6:26 If God bothers to feed birds, maybe he pays attention to our minor needs like parking space numbers when you need an uplift. It isn't the parking space that mattered at the moment, it was Dabo's need for reassurance. God may have used parking space numbers for that, or maybe not. Dabo felt he did. .

Ofcourse Dabo can say whatever he wants. And there are a million different ways to praise a very deserving TL.
But....
If u think God gave TL extraordinary athletic ability because God was in a good mood, I have nothing more to say to you.
And dabo doesn’t likely believe that, most Christians wouldn’t. Not everything someone says has to be taken literally. I took it as God gave him a little extra football ability. Which is apparent.

You really like to put limits on God's abilities to multi-task, don't you? Did you miss: "Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?" Matt 6:26 If God bothers to feed birds, maybe he pays attention to our minor needs like parking space numbers when you need an uplift. It isn't the parking space that mattered at the moment, it was Dabo's need for reassurance. God may have used parking space numbers for that, or maybe not. Dabo felt he did. .

Oh, it wasn't just that time. Remember, he gets scripture in his email and he got the same one twice the week of the Carolina game and he felt it was a message from God that he was going to win the game.

No, both instances are nothing more than Dabo's narcissism telling him that everything he sees in the world supports what he wants. God isn't painting parking spaces in Clemson and he certainly doesn't give 2 hoots and a damn about who wins the Clemson-Carolina game.

It was a great day for the State, but I'm happy you guys are still having fun. Hopefully Trevor will have a big career!
Contrary to your Tater Perspective, the Sun DOESN'T ALWAYS Shine in taterville.

Kid Should have won the HEISMAN, and Won Every Title Since Playing in the Playoff. HE UNDERACHIEVED. Running Back suppose to have won HEISMAN.

Shame to WAIST ALL THAT TALENT.

Just REMEMBER what goes up eventually GOES DOWN.

I PERSONALLY enjoyed the NATY this year Without your taters in it.

I Have Watched the OHIO STATE game so many times over I thought my SUBSCRIBERS were going to block me from it.

I FOUND IT TO BE A TRAGIC COMEDY.

YOU and the taters got lucky the previous time you played Ohio State. Refs helped you.

Just Think you Didnt get to play best team in COUNTRY this year BAMA.

Reactions: LegalTiger

That's not how good works. It's the faith that you are doing the right thing is what Dabo is saying in that story. All you need is faith the size of a mustard seed. Dabo took that random sign of his number to say keep going. I do that to. It works.

The God angle works. I've read St Bobby, and I know Dabo has read it. If a College Coach is willing to play that angle in recruiting, He'll have major success. Hopefully Beamer starts Bible thumping on the recruiting trail.

That's not how good works. It's the faith that you are doing the right thing is what Dabo is saying in that story. All you need is faith the size of a mustard seed. Dabo took that random sign of his number to say keep going. I do that to. It works.

Sorry. Nothing but self serving mind games. Do I believe God send signs to people to do certain things? But Dabo's multi-million dollar a year job and success in college rivalry games aren't two of them. I think that has a more earthly explanation.

Reactions: cockymom2boys
Anytime somebody is quoting scripture and talking about signs from God for something that has huge personal, material benefit for themselves, you should question the motive. Especially someone that shows narcissistic tendencies.

Last edited:
Oh, it wasn't just that time. Remember, he gets scripture in his email and he got the same one twice the week of the Carolina game and he felt it was a message from God that he was going to win the game.

No, both instances are nothing more than Dabo's narcissism telling him that everything he sees in the world supports what he wants. God isn't painting parking spaces in Clemson and he certainly doesn't give 2 hoots and a damn about who wins the Clemson-Carolina game.

I am not sure why you insist that minor matters are beneath God's notice. That certainly isn't the way the God of the Bible is portrayed. I certainly prefer a coach or player to credit God's blessings than to be the stereotypical narcissist of "I am the Greatest. It is all my own doing. Look at me and be jealous." That is what narcissism is, claiming it for yourself. What Dabo is doing is the exact opposite, giving God credit. You have narcissism backwards.

I'm never insisted minor matters are beneath God's notice. Just not these self-serving, narcissist matters like Clemson football and Dabo's multi-million dollar job.

When someone quits their comfortable job to go do something like help AIDs victims in Africa because God told them to, I see see God's hand at work. When someone tells me that God painted parking lots spaces and duplicated emails so they could get a multi-million dollar a year coaching job so they can win at college football so they can build a 15,000 sq ft tacky Clemson castle and a Florida beach house, I'm thinking that's not really God's plan. It was Dabo's plan for Dabo, and he was just looking for anything to help get what he wanted for himself, real or imagined. Kinda like praying to win the lottery. That's not how I believe it works.

TL may very well be a really great NFL QB. Or he may be a flop. I don't think he is the can't miss prospect he has been made out to be. He played on a lot of Clemson teams that had far more talent across the board that most of the teams they played. It won't be like that in the NFL.

I'm never insisted minor matters are beneath God's notice. Just not these self-serving, narcissist matters like Clemson football and Dabo's multi-million dollar job.

When someone quits their comfortable job to go do something like help AIDs victims in Africa because God told them to, I see see God's hand at work. When someone tells me that God painted parking lots spaces and duplicated emails so they could get a multi-million dollar a year coaching job so they can win at college football so they can build a 15,000 sq ft tacky Clemson castle and a Florida beach house, I'm thinking that's not really God's plan. It was Dabo's plan for Dabo, and he was just looking for anything to help get what he wanted for himself, real or imagined. Kinda like praying to win the lottery. That's not how I believe it works.
From what I’ve heard Dabo and his wife have donated a fortune to various causes and I know for a fact he donated a million dollars to Clemson. Just doesn’t publicize it. Stop making the guy out to be bad. Hope he never wins another game is okay but the personal attacks are not IMO

Reactions: birdmanCU
I assume you think the same of Manning, Elway, Luck and Marino?
Peyton and Eli both quarterbacked teams to two Super Bowl wins. Elway has two as well. Lawrence may very well lead his team to the NFL promised land. I think the intent of the post you replied to is that the field is much more even in the NFL than it is/was in college football. There is no doubt that Lawrence is a special talent.

From what I’ve heard Dabo and his wife have donated a fortune to various causes and I know for a fact he donated a million dollars to Clemson. Just doesn’t publicize it. Stop making the guy out to be bad. Hope he never wins another game is okay but the personal attacks are not IMO
Dabo's wife had breast cancer and he donates an insane amount to breast cancer charities. Not a football or school or team issue to argue about.

Peyton and Eli both quarterbacked teams to two Super Bowl wins. Elway has two as well. Lawrence may very well lead his team to the NFL promised land. I think the intent of the post you replied to is that the field is much more even in the NFL than it is/was in college football. There is no doubt that Lawrence is a special talent.

I think a reasonable interpretation of the post is that TL is an underachiever based on his college record. My point is if that is the standard, then those other greats underachieved on college as well, and I don't think many people believe that. Similarly, it is silly to think TL underachieved.

Yes, his wife has battled breast cancer. I pray that she has a successful recovery. I don’t wish any harm on anyone, regardless of who they are, or where they play/coach. At the end of the day, we’re all human beings, and sport don‘t matter.

Reactions: hillstosea

Maybe God's plan was to get him into a high profile position so he could influence young football players towards God and offset the Hollywood set that either ignore God, denigrate him, or ridicule his followers. But whether that is the intention or not, God cares about every person. Not just the ones that do something dramatic like quit their job and do medical missions in Africa. While that is great, not everyone can do that, and he cares just as much about the sanitation worker, school crossing guard and grocery shelf stocker as he does the greatest preacher or most selfless missionary. I find it refreshing to see someone talking positive about God, as most of what I see in the media is scoffing, mocking and criticism of religious belief.

Pretty sure he was there. I believe I saw a photo of Dabo standing next to Darius Rucker while both were there.
I see that now, I'm still surprised he was not on the couch.

I hope Rucker being their is not a sign he is hitting the transfer portal, :) and just a we share the same agent thing. Is Lawrence a big fan of his?

Reactions: Areukidding1
Maybe God's plan was to get him into a high profile position so he could influence young football players towards God and offset the Hollywood set that either ignore God, denigrate him, or ridicule his followers. But whether that is the intention or not, God cares about every person. Not just the ones that do something dramatic like quit their job and do medical missions in Africa. While that is great, not everyone can do that, and he cares just as much about the sanitation worker, school crossing guard and grocery shelf stocker as he does the greatest preacher or most selfless missionary. I find it refreshing to see someone talking positive about God, as most of what I see in the media is scoffing, mocking and criticism of religious belief.

LOL. So now you think Dabo is football Moses. Although it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't work a burning bush into one of the back stories at some point in the future. Yeah, I heard that one with Jim Bakker too. Using your faith for enormous personal benefit has more to do with YOU and not God. Dabo is all about Dabo. If you need any more proof it's about his narcissism, just look how he behaved after he tried to scam the rankings to avoid playing Ohio St. Even after they spanked them thoroughly, he refused to admit it was the wrong thing to do, especially since his reason was the complete opposite of what he said when he was worried about how many games his team would be able to compete in. How the media and Hollywood treats Christianity doesn't make me believe any story or possible scam artist that comes along.

I know the media and hollywood bashes Christianity, but that's not going to make me think anything about Dabo is authentic. And of course God cares about everyone. I never suggested otherwise. But when I hear him talk about how God gave him all the things he says, I feel the same as I do when a plumber says he prayed to win the lottery and said God gave him the numbers. I don't think God picks favorites like that when it comes to personal, materialistic gain.

Plus, if he really is God's chosen football Moses, I feel like maybe he would have sent him a sign to tell his players to stop sticking their fingers up opposing player's butts.

Reactions: cockymom2boys
I think Rucker is part owner in the sports agent company representing Lawrence or something

Your 100% correct, all over it!

Darius Rucker of Hootie and the Blowfish joins sports agency. Darius Rucker might be singing "I only wanna be with you" more often. The 50-year-old lead singer of "Hootie And The Blowfish" told ESPN on Monday that he is now a partner in a company called MGC Sports, which represents golfers, football players and coaches ...Nov 7, 2016

LOL. So now you think Dabo is football Moses. Although it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't work a burning bush into one of the back stories at some point in the future. Yeah, I heard that one with Jim Bakker too. Using your faith for enormous personal benefit has more to do with YOU and not God. Dabo is all about Dabo. If you need any more proof it's about his narcissism, just look how he behaved after he tried to scam the rankings to avoid playing Ohio St. Even after they spanked them thoroughly, he refused to admit it was the wrong thing to do, especially since his reason was the complete opposite of what he said when he was worried about how many games his team would be able to compete in. How the media and Hollywood treats Christianity doesn't make me believe any story or possible scam artist that comes along.

I know the media and hollywood bashes Christianity, but that's not going to make me think anything about Dabo is authentic. And of course God cares about everyone. I never suggested otherwise. But when I hear him talk about how God gave him all the things he says, I feel the same as I do when a plumber says he prayed to win the lottery and said God gave him the numbers. I don't think God picks favorites like that when it comes to personal, materialistic gain.
I do believe most college football fans, including USC fans, thought Ohio St. hadn’t played enough games to qualify for the playoffs. Wasn’t just Dabo. He said what most of us were thinking

I do believe most college football fans, including USC fans, thought Ohio St. hadn’t played enough games to qualify for the playoffs. Wasn’t just Dabo. He said what most of us were thinking

No. Earlier in the season when asked about a number of games required to get in the playoff for the Big 10, he said this:

"Shoot, in a year like this, no. It's a crazy year. Who knows how many games anybody is going to have? You have some of the best teams & coaches in that league. It's not their fault. They've worked their butt off."

But, once he got enough games in for his team, he flipped and said the opposite. Why? Because talent wise, Ohio St is a top 3 team and they already knew about Clemson's sign stealing. He didn't want to play them, so he tried to change his rules and work the system to get them out. He just made up with arbitrary 9 game rule and acted like it was law or something.

And of course, everybody that thought that Ohio St wasn't deserving was proven wrong, including Dabo, but in his normal narcissistic way, he refused to back down and admit he was wrong. Even said he would do it again, because he wasn't backing down off his 9 game rule, even though that was a complete flip flop from what he said earlier.

Yeah, quite the ethical and moral role model he is.

No. Earlier in the season when asked about a number of games required to get in the playoff for the Big 10, he said this:

"Shoot, in a year like this, no. It's a crazy year. Who knows how many games anybody is going to have? You have some of the best teams & coaches in that league. It's not their fault. They've worked their butt off."

But, once he got enough games in for his team, he flipped and said the opposite. Why? Because talent wise, Ohio St is a top 3 team and they already knew about Clemson's sign stealing. He didn't want to play them, so he tried to change his rules and work the system to get them out. He just made up with arbitrary 9 game rule and acted like it was law or something.

And of course, everybody that thought that Ohio St wasn't deserving was proven wrong, including Dabo, but in his normal narcissistic way, he refused to back down and admit he was wrong. Even said he would do it again, because he wasn't backing down off his 9 game rule, even though that was a complete flip flop from what he said earlier.

Yeah, quite the ethical and moral role model he is.
Link?

Reactions: Areukidding1
Barbie is good college QB playing with very talented teammates in a weak league. Not sure he will light it up in the pro's when he goes against players better than his.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT