ADVERTISEMENT

Dakeron transferring?

Just like Bentley, no way you recruit the player and their family to move to SC, only to not start the player. We saw this with Jake, when there were obvious times that he should have gotten a fresh perspective from the bench. We saw it again with Ryan.. He showed flashes, however there were times when it was obvious that a backup should have been given an opportunity, especially now that we know Ryan had a bum leg.

The bottom line is that Joyner was never given an opportunity to run the full offense, and I don't blame him if he chooses to leave. I hope he sticks it out for our sake!

Last edited:
Reactions: 92Pony
He will stay. He is a gamecock just like us. We hate the way they run things but we ain’t leaving

Reactions: GeoCocky
Yes, the coaches in their infinite wisdom decided to create the impression that Joyner "didn't have it" in order to avoid a QB controversy. Pure and simple.

Not so fast.
Play that card game somewhere else.
That and third place on the chart,
Joyner was beat out for the position

Yes, the coaches in their infinite wisdom decided to create the impression that Joyner "didn't have it" in order to avoid a QB controversy. Pure and simple.
What gives you- or whomever gave you this impression- the idea that he DOES “have it”? I have not seen any indication from his play on the field that he would be a dominant or even mediocre/ serviceable option at QB in the SEC. He is athletic, but in the times I have seen him throw it was not impressive... real games, Spring games... Hilinski has always been a far superior passer. I suspect the same was born out in practice and baring a sudden dramatic improvement the same will be shown during the rest of his FB career be it here or elsewhere.
Glad he chose us, seems like a good kid, glad he is part of the team... but talent is obvious. Arm talent is rare. Ryan has it, Dak does not. Ryan needs to work on his accuracy and once he is healthy again I suspect we will see more of what we saw from him early in the season against Charleston Southern, Bama... an accurate (on short routes), confident guy who can deliver the ball in a hurry and rarely makes mistakes with where he decides to deliver the FB. I never saw any mechanics, solid QB footwork, or just raw arm talent from Dak. Never. He is not fast enough to be a WR, not big and durable enough to be a RB... I just don’t see where he will fit in on our team and at the risk of sounding derogatory (not intended) he would be better suited running the offense at SC State than here IMO. We have had plenty of guys who could not hack it at the SEC level step back to SC state and have good careers there. I hope if he does transfer he finds a good fit and if he stays that we find a way to better utilize him but again, I will be shocked if he is ever our locked in starting QB.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
What gives you- or whomever gave you this impression- the idea that he DOES “have it”? I have not seen any indication from his play on the field that he would be a dominant or even mediocre/ serviceable option at QB in the SEC. He is athletic, but in the times I have seen him throw it was not impressive... real games, Spring games... Hilinski has always been a far superior passer. I suspect the same was born out in practice and baring a sudden dramatic improvement the same will be shown during the rest of his FB career be it here or elsewhere.
Glad he chose us, seems like a good kid, glad he is part of the team... but talent is obvious. Arm talent is rare. Ryan has it, Dak does not. Ryan needs to work on his accuracy and once he is healthy again I suspect we will see more of what we saw from him early in the season against Charleston Southern, Bama... an accurate (on short routes), confident guy who can deliver the ball in a hurry and rarely makes mistakes with where he decides to deliver the FB. I never saw any mechanics, solid QB footwork, or just raw arm talent from Dak. Never. He is not fast enough to be a WR, not big and durable enough to be a RB... I just don’t see where he will fit in on our team and at the risk of sounding derogatory (not intended) he would be better suited running the offense at SC State than here IMO. We have had plenty of guys who could not hack it at the SEC level step back to SC state and have good careers there. I hope if he does transfer he finds a good fit and if he stays that we find a way to better utilize him but again, I will be shocked if he is ever our locked in starting QB.
I arrived at my impression that Joyner "has it" by watching his high school play for a few years - no one "told" me about anything. Before you come back with a "high school?" comment, remember JB and RH were only a summer session departed from high school.

It is my impression that Joyner was never given a real opportunity to play...my opinion is that the coaching staff wished to avoid a QB controversy. It is also my opinion that what we need is a dual-threat QB. Spurrier tried for years to make runners into passers. Then Shaw came along and took off and there was not much Spurrier could do except go along with what was suddenly working.

Back to Joyner - had I seen him getting to play a significant amount of time (which he was not allowed) perhaps I would feel differently. All I can point to are two things: comments/statements made by WM about players abilities/health/availabilities/other, AND his disrespectful treatment of Scarneccia (who busted his ass for this University for four years AND won the Missouri game for us) who never saw the field again.

Actions speak louder than words, and WM showed me what kind of guy he was with actions like that. So, I do not trust WM, and I do not think Joyner was given a fair shake.

I walked on at USC in 1968, but was deemed as better target material than student. I left school and joined the Army. After completing the service I returned to school and finished undergrad work in 1976 and MPA in 1978. I only weigh 10 lbs. more at age 70 than my playing weight of 240 lbs, and at 6'4" I could run pretty damn good.

Bring all this up because a lot of people on this site question posters without having any background/experience to provide a basis for -doubting- others. In any event, opinions are worth what they bring on the open market. There are those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that ask, "What happened?"

I was not impressed by his speed. He had opportunities to showcase it. Don’t recall him outrunning anyone.
I agree ....i saw him having “average”speed and really not that quick either...i also saw him drop a couple passes that let me know he isn,t a receiver either...seems to be a “decentlathlete who starred against high school competition and can,t make it in college...theres only about 1000 or so of these coming into college ball EVERY season...problem is average fans who can,t really evaluate talent see them dominate high school kids and”think”they should be given the opportunity to do it in college...theres a reason he wasn,t offered at qb by anyone else...coaches can see when you,re a good”athlete”with no “true”position to play in college...and you aren,t very useful unfortunately...i wish dak WAS a good thrower of the ball,but unfortunately...

I arrived at my impression that Joyner "has it" by watching his high school play for a few years - no one "told" me about anything. Before you come back with a "high school?" comment, remember JB and RH were only a summer session departed from high school.

It is my impression that Joyner was never given a real opportunity to play...my opinion is that the coaching staff wished to avoid a QB controversy. It is also my opinion that what we need is a dual-threat QB. Spurrier tried for years to make runners into passers. Then Shaw came along and took off and there was not much Spurrier could do except go along with what was suddenly working.

Back to Joyner - had I seen him getting to play a significant amount of time (which he was not allowed) perhaps I would feel differently. All I can point to are two things: comments/statements made by WM about players abilities/health/availabilities/other, AND his disrespectful treatment of Scarneccia (who busted his ass for this University for four years AND won the Missouri game for us) who never saw the field again.

Actions speak louder than words, and WM showed me what kind of guy he was with actions like that. So, I do not trust WM, and I do not think Joyner was given a fair shake.

I walked on at USC in 1968, but was deemed as better target material than student. I left school and joined the Army. After completing the service I returned to school and finished undergrad work in 1976 and MPA in 1978. I only weigh 10 lbs. more at age 70 than my playing weight of 240 lbs, and at 6'4" I could run pretty damn good.

Bring all this up because a lot of people on this site question posters without having any background/experience to provide a basis for -doubting- others. In any event, opinions are worth what they bring on the open market. There are those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that ask, "What happened?"
Well we are all entitled to our opinions. I disagree with your assessment of his ability if you are implying he would be a better QB than Ryan. He does not have the arm to be a passer at the level we need, and we do not run the type of offense that suits a run first QB. Hard to tell from this season alone with either of them obviously as I don’t think Dak or Ryan were truly healthy from about the 4th game on.

Whether Joyner was the answer at QB, who knows? It can be debated until the cows come home. What can't be debated is that our offense ranked 12th out of 14 teams in the conference, and was one of the worst in the country. Nor can it be debated that we finished the season with only 4 wins. My gripe is during a poor season we didn't see enough of DJ on the field to make a determination one way or the other, or when they did bring him in it was with the same bland predictable plays that everyone in the stadium, including our opposition, knew was coming.

I'm not here to bash Ryan, he was a true freshman thrown into the toughest league. He shows promise. But Ryan had 3 games where he completed less than 50% of his passes (all 30+ attempts), and 8 games where he threw for a touchdown or less. It was not all his fault, as you could blame injs, poor line play, poor receiver play, play calling, etc... In any event,. what we were doing wasn't working and our coaches failed to make adjustments to try something different to put us in position to win. If the adjustments don't work, switch it up again or go back to the drawing board.

When the best years in our school history came under a daul threat, when I look at other teams winning games with dual threats (including some of the best teams in the country!), when I watch Kentucky make it to a bowl game after the inj to their starting QB with a WR playing QB, it makes me question the quality of our coaches when we don't even try to switch it up or are incapable of doing so.

Joyner threw for nearly 10,000 yds in high school, rushed for several thousand yards more, and accounted for an insane number of touchdowns. You mean to tell me that our highly compensated coaches couldn't develop a package suited to Joyner's skill set, yet DJ's high school coaches rode him to the state championship? What did his HS coaches know that our million dollar coaches couldn't figure out with an entire offseason, and even during the season? We never saw any development or growth?

Ultimately Ryan completed 58% of his passes, DJ completed 57%. Their QB ratings were fairly similar as well. I'm not sure how one can say that Ryan is definitely the answer, all while totally dismissing DJ. This is what happens when coaches don't put speculation to rest by letting it be decided on the field.

The decision making on the qbs the past few years is totally baffling...on offense the coaching seems like they were trying to put a square into a round hole..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT