ADVERTISEMENT

Damning comments from

MIghtee

Aug 9, 2019
Ray Tanner on the state of the football program.

- "I'm not walking into his office, closing the door and saying this is unacceptable"

- "Are we good enough? We're pretty good."

There you have it. Pretty good. 1-3 is considered "pretty good" around here. I have a lot of stuff I want to add, but I think these comments pretty much speak for themselves. In case you were wondering whether there is a commitment to excellence...there is not. I hope Caslen heard/read this interview. Pretty good.....

https://247sports.com/college/south...s-director-Ray-Tanner--136105706/#136105706_1

Last edited:
Well, that does not sound encouraging from a fan perspective. To me it says, screw it we are taking the dough and laughing all the way to the bank. USC need to have a come to Jesus moment concerning the Atheletic Department.

Maybe this is it though, a self proclamation that being what many consider under performing is the standard as long as the powers that be are in charge.

Well, that does not sound encouraging from a fan perspective. To me it says, screw it we are taking the dough and laughing all the way to the bank. USC need to have a come to Jesus moment concerning the Atheletic Department.

Maybe this is it though, a self proclamation that being what many consider under performing is the standard as long as the powers that be are in charge.

First of all, it tells me that being 1-3 is considered "pretty good" here which tells you our standard is VERY VERY low.

It also tells me that Ray is ok with us being 1-3.

As a fan, why should I continue to support our program if that's the case? Seriously. I mean, dadgum Ray, at least give us lip service and make it sound like there's a drive for excellence. Don't tell us that 1-3 is pretty good.

It tells me our football program is toast. We are going to be this or bad worse next year.

I think Ray is a bad athletic director, but what else was he going to say?

Sadly, he means it. Every. Word. He's hoping for a return to Weed Eater/Belk bowl level glory next year so he can declare victory, give another extension and ride Muschamp to retirement.

Reactions: broken_cock_
His comments are meaningless at this point. He's not gonna say anything negative during season.
Normally I'd agree, but he went on to talk about how fond he is of Will and how much faith he has that the process is working. Those are not the comments of an AD who is trying to be PC and move on from the topic of a coach he is going to eventually have to fire.

$18M buyout is doing the thinking on this issue. Heck, most folks would love to have that in the back pocket knowing that if they blow donkey balls they still get paid. Now from USC perspective do they really want to eat that plus assistants pay too.

Texas A&M may be looking at a similar situation in a couple years. All that money is not for 4th place in the SEC west.

Ok, I get the fact that he will not disparage the HC publicly, but he could at least be saying that we, as a University, are not satisfied with a losing record and we as Gamecocks accept nothing less than a winning tradition...Apparently, Tanner is such a kiss ass softy, he cannot come up with such University supportive phrases!

All that we as fans can do now is stay home and let the empty seats do the talking for us.

Last edited:
Have to speak with our wallets. There is no other way.

Most in our fan base would NEVER do that. We have some sick, twisted, battered-wife syndrome with Gamecock football. The worse the team does the more loyal our fans are inspired to be.

Ok, I get the fact that he will not disparage the HC publicly, but he could at least be saying, that we, as a University are not satisfied with a losing record and we as Gamecocks accept nothing less than a winning tradition...Apparently, Tanner is such a kiss ass softy, he cannot come up with such University supportive phrases!

All the fans can do now is stay home and let the empty seats do the talking for us.

This is the thing. There are diplomatic ways of saying you still support the HC while at the same time letting it be known that 1-3 is actually not "pretty good."

Gentlemen, Mr. Tanner is following the tactic of not publicly disparaging the administration/program/employees in public. This is straight out of Public Relations 101.
He may actually believe what he just said, but all statements should not be treated seriously.

Last edited:
Why is Tanner so defensive of Muschamp’s closed practices? Sounds to me like Muschamp is running the show and Tanner is his puppet. Also, I’ve heard a lot this week about fans not knowing the “culture” Muschamp has built. Jim Jones built a culture in Jonestown too. Doesn’t mean it’s a healthy culture, and certainly doesn’t contribute to winning. I’m all for building a program that builds character in players, but the culture needs to be about winning too. I know of a lot of coaches that brought positive cultures to schools but weren’t successful on the field. There is also something called the culture of losing and maybe that’s what he’s brought, but we’ll never know because we aren’t allowed in.

Last edited:
Why is Tanner so defense of Muschamp’s closed practices? Sounds to me like Muschamp is running the show and Tanner is his puppet. Also, I’ve heard a lot this week about fans not knowing the “culture” Muschamp has built. Jim Jones built a culture in Jonestown too. Doesn’t mean it’s a healthy culture, and certainly doesn’t contribute to winning. I’m all for building a program that builds character in players, but the culture needs to be about winning too. I know of a lot of coaches that brought positive cultures to schools but weren’t successful on the field. There is also something called the culture of losing and maybe that’s what he’s brought, but we’ll never know because we aren’t allowed in.
Yeah that “culture” he built was on display last week. 3rd down stop and our guy throws the other players cleat. Yeah that’s some culture Muschamp has built.

To go along with Harvard, RT has always done his business behind closed doors. I don't expect it to change with him being an AD.
Gentlemen, Mr. Tanner is following the tactic of not publicly disparaging the administration/program/employees in public. This is straight our of Public Relations 101.
He may actually believe what he just said, but all statements should not be treated seriously.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
His comments are meaningless at this point. He's not gonna say anything negative during season.

Why are you being rational? This is a time of hyperventilating!RollLaugh
I wish folks would grow up and understand all we can do is ride this thing out til November. all this wailing and ranting is useless. On game day I understand fans need to unload the frustration. But at some point calm down and accept we have to go thru this to get to the future. One thing is for sure, no one will be fired before the seasons end.

David Cloninger @DCPandC

More Ray Tanner: "I feel very good about the direction this program is headed. Are we happy that we’re 1-3? Absolutely not. We wish that our record wasn’t what it is today, but I certainly believe in Will Muschamp and what he stands for."

9:15 PM - Sep 25, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

50 people are talking about this

So at one point in the interview he says we're pretty good.

Here in one breath he says he's happy about the direction of a program that is trending rapidly downward and in the next breath says he's not happy about 1-3.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Tanner is getting an "attitude". He's not use to this criticism. Wouldn't surprise me if he announces his retirement in the near future. Maybe after the football team wins a couple more games.

Gentlemen, Mr. Tanner is following the tactic of not publicly disparaging the administration/program/employees in public. This is straight our of Public Relations 101.
This applies to Will but did not apply to Frank whom RT battered publicly for using naughty words. This was something that should have been handled behind closed doors. Instead, Mr. AD of the year, calls Frank out and tried to castrate him; as if RT could have made a better or even equal MBB hire.

It wouldn't be negative to acknowledge that NOBODY, including the coaching staff, thinks 1-3 is acceptable. Such a statement acknowledges that all involved understand there is a problem and are committed to fixing it, including Muschamp. Then, he can follow it up with a comment that he is confident Muschamp will get it turned around.
But to simply act like things are fine is completely tone deaf and looks obstinate on his part

Yeah it tells me being around average or below is totally acceptable with Ray Tanner so probably and i hate to say it but with him having said we are ptetty good then he isn't going to do anything about WM any time soon. The only way you can make them do something is stop going to games and buying tickets. When that happens then the AD has no choice because the BOTs will be on his ass and the big money boosters.

The simple reality is that 95% our fan base does not even expect us to be good. They hope, maybe, but that's it. Probably 75% of the fan base actually enjoys our mediocrity status. We have the weirdest fan base in that our fans actually take pride in having a mediocre team. It seems a lot of fans actually WANT us to be average so they can brag about their loyalty. It's a badge of honor that we're still one of the best teams in the nation for attendance even though we're generally an average to below average team. It's strange. So many USC fans have grown up in the state with the "wait til next year" culture and it just gets ingrained in you that THAT is Gamecock football. The 95% of our fan base that has accepted and embraced our lovable loser status are all the administration needs to fund things.

Yeah it tells me being around average or below is totally acceptable with Ray Tanner so probably and i hate to say it but with him having said we are ptetty good then he isn't going to do anything about WM any time soon. The only way you can make them do something is stop going to games and buying tickets. When that happens then the AD has no choice because the BOTs will be on his ass and the big money boosters.

This is what's happening at FSU right now. Those folks are upset that they essentially pushed Jimbo out over guaranteed money and control over facilities development and coordinator salaries. They didn't have a clear replacement plan, and had to jump over a bunch of hurdles to get Willie Taggart, a hire no one was really excited about. They've had 52,000 and 46,000 people listed as paid attendance their last two home games-- the stadium holds nearly 80,000 (the actual attendance for those games was much lower). Those fans know the team is an average ACC team at best, a bad ACC team at worst. And they won't show up again until either Taggart is gone or he miraculously turns things around by proving he can win big games.

It wouldn't be negative to acknowledge that NOBODY, including the coaching staff, thinks 1-3 is acceptable. Such a statement acknowledges that all involved understand there is a problem and are committed to fixing it, including Muschamp. Then, he can follow it up with a comment that he is confident Muschamp will get it turned around.
But to simply act like things are fine is completely tone deaf and looks obstinate on his part

That's not what he did. He clearly stated the record could be better. This was nothing more than typical AD rhetoric as programs experience difficult seasons during a string of tough losses. Everyone should know Ray Tanner does believe the record is okay nor that losing is acceptable. Tanner knows if the losing continues neither he nor Muschamp will be employed here. He might not be moving as fast as many of us would like. Contrary to some posts, he is not an idiot.

This applies to Will but did not apply to Frank whom RT battered publicly for using naughty words. This was something that should have been handled behind closed doors. Instead, Mr. AD of the year, calls Frank out and tried to castrate him; as if RT could have made a better or even equal MBB hire.
This again comes from the same playbook. If any circumstance in this case FM using "conduct unbecoming" that would cast bad light on the institution then he get's in front of the story.
Commenting on job performance in public would be a whole other matter.
I'm not saying you're wrong in your opinion but just pointing out how the playbook is being used.

The simple reality is that 95% our fan base does not even expect us to be good. They hope, maybe, but that's it. Probably 75% of the fan base actually enjoys our mediocrity status. We have the weirdest fan base in that our fans actually take pride in having a mediocre team. It seems a lot of fans actually WANT us to be average so they can brag about their loyalty. It's a badge of honor that we're still one of the best teams in the nation for attendance even though we're generally an average to below average team. It's strange. So many USC fans have grown up in the state with the "wait til next year" culture and it just gets ingrained in you that THAT is Gamecock football. The 95% of our fan base that has accepted and embraced our lovable loser status are all the administration needs to fund things.
I'm a lifelong Gamecock. I don't know a single fan of our university that thinks mediocrity okay. Like all schools we have some frantic fans that pitch a fit in the face of adversity. We have some fans that a more laid back, but, just as frustrated. We have some fans that are realistic about where the program was and is. Any rational mind understands this is the first season whereby Muschamp should be strongly scrutinized because it's year four. If you make a habit of canning coaches in less than 4-5 years, hiring a young gifted coach becomes far more difficult.

Reactions: GamecockCrazyGal
From Bryan Edwards:

“You know the fans are going to turn out,” Edwards said. “It’s a night game at Willy-B. If anything, it’s a good time. We’re going to try to put a great product on the field, so I’m not worried about the fans showing up. People are going to show.”

How I read that? "It's a night game at Willy-B. Even if we lose, fans will still have fun tailgating and all that."

https://247sports.com/college/south...otball-Ernest-Jones-Bryan-Edwards--136096227/

I'm a lifelong Gamecock. I don't know a single fan of our university that thinks mediocrity okay. Like all schools we have some frantic fans that pitch a fit in the face of adversity. We have some fans that a more laid back, but, just as frustrated. We have some fans that are realistic about where the program was and is. Any rational mind understands this is the first season whereby Muschamp should be strongly scrutinized because it's year four. If you make a habit of canning coaches in less than 4-5 years, hiring a young gifted coach becomes far more difficult.

Respectfully disagree. I grew up in the state and lived there into my 30s. I know the mindset well. It would be a VERY small subset of the fan base that actually expected us to win on a consistent basis. Most fans have simply embraced our mediocre status. Perhaps not willingly but out of resignation. It's who we have been for over 100 years so might as well get used it seems to be the mindset among most. For most, it's show up, enjoy the tailgate, have a good time. If we win, that's a bonus. Another poster pointed on here the other day that it's largely a social thing for many fans.

It's almost like some Cubs fans. The longer they went without winning a World Series, it kind of became a badge of honor.

Reactions: lostcock
He was saying the same shit before he fired Holbrook.
What if Tanner pulls a Keyser Soze and fires Muschamp the day after signing day, then walks out the door leaving behind a bank statement showing the $18M he squirreled since the UNC game, and then Muschamp runs out to the street only to see Tanner shaking hands with the new HC that will do something with the modicum of talent we still have?

Contrary to some posts, he is not an idiot.

I don't think he's an idiot. I've met him a few times and I know both Scott Wingo and Landon Powell pretty well, and have heard their glowing opinions of him. (Only in regard to him as their baseball coach and mentor.)

That said, I do not think he's been a good AD. Not at all.

It happens.

I think Ray is a bad athletic director, but what else was he going to say?

Sadly, he means it. Every. Word. He's hoping for a return to Weed Eater/Belk bowl level glory next year so he can declare victory, give another extension and ride Muschamp to retirement.
You have no idea what he means.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT