ADVERTISEMENT

Dang...Kentucky with 6 4*'s

what were muschumps recruiting rankings again? outside of the top 10, recruiting rankings are pretty meaningless
Coastal Carolina proves your point.
Accurate evaluation of 3 and 2 star talent means everything.

What team won the SEC who doesn't recruit top ten classes on their championship team.? I've been keeping up with recruiting 25 years, and haven't seen it.
Well Mizzou won the EAST without doing that but that is about as close as I recall…

Ky has built a consistent winner with continuity in their staff. They should be recruiting well and they are for Ky.

Reactions: Brace1
What team won the SEC who doesn't recruit top ten classes on their championship team.? I've been keeping up with recruiting 25 years, and haven't seen it.
Missouri has been a thorn in our side since they joined the SEC, but we out recruit them nearly every year.
Missouri has won the East at least twice.

Well Mizzou won the EAST without doing that but that is about as close as I recall…

Ky has built a consistent winner with continuity in their staff. They should be recruiting well and they are for Ky.
There's big difference than winning the East and a SEC championship.

Reactions: TAV31
Recruiting rankings are going to be of very little value until the recruiting services start including and evaluating roster additions from the Transfer Portal in each program's class. As it is now, the recruiting services calculate class ranking using only the Top 20 recruits from high school or jr college in each program's class.

With how the portal is being used now. Very few programs will even have 20 recruits from high school or jr. college.

Sure, I acknowledged there was a difference. Just saying Mizzou did not recruit on the level of Florida or UGA when they won the East.
I agree, but I talking about winning a SEC championship. In the last 25 years I haven't seen a team win the SEC without recruiting top ten classes.

I agree, but I talking about winning a SEC championship. In the last 25 years I haven't seen a team win the SEC without recruiting top ten classes.
100% agree. I cannot think of one either. It takes horses to win the race in the SEC!

well we will never have a top 10 class, so our only hope at championships would be killing it with scouting talent, and player development

Reactions: DarkHorse2001
There's a big difference than winning the East and a SEC championship.
You must win the division before you can win the SEC championship. We out recruit Missouri nearly every year. They have two division titles in 9 years. We have one division title in 30 years. For some reason Missouri gets better results from their recruiting than we get from ours.

Reactions: Wjmfour1
well we will never have a top 10 class, so our only hope at championships would be killing it with scouting talent, and player development
I look at South Carolina football the same way Billy Beane saw the Oakland A's in the movie Moneyball. If we cant come close to bringing in the talent the best teams in the SEC bring in, then we cant play the game the way they do and expect to beat them.
Go look at the NFL draft. There are more players drafted than you may be aware of that were not recruited by the P5 schools. These guys end up in the G5 schools because they were overlooked. They become outstanding players, and make it to the NFL. South Carolina has to do a better job identifying this pool of overlooked talent.
If anyone reading this has not seen Moneyball, its worth watching. I have watched it a few times. and I see a mutual connection to South Carolina football.

Sure, I acknowledged there was a difference. Just saying Mizzou did not recruit on the level of Florida or UGA when they won the East.
And it's an anomaly when it happens, we will NEVER sniff an SEC east or overall conference championship until our recruiting is consistently in the top 10 for multiple classes, and even then it's a stretch.

And it's an anomaly when it happens, we will NEVER sniff an SEC east or overall conference championship until our recruiting is consistently in the top 10 for multiple classes, and even then it's a stretch.
But… We did win one without consistently top 10 classes before. I think we had ONE top 10 class prior to that season. JS

You must win the division before you can win the SEC championship. We out recruit Missouri nearly every year. They have two division titles in 9 years. We have one division title in 30 years. For some reason Missouri gets better results from their recruiting than we get from ours.
Schedule...that was only reason. The chicken curse prevents us from having an easy schedule while we are good. We will draw LSU and Bama everytime while Mizzou gets Arkansas and Ms. St.

Well, we have before under Spurrier. Whether or not Beamer can do it remains to be seen.
Well being as Beamer was on staff when we landed our only top 10 class under SOS and went on to become the recruiting coordinator who helped sign the 12th ranked 2009 class… I’d say he may be the only coach in America who has first hand knowledge of how to recruit at that level here.

Lol. Soon as I saw a post from you it was obviously the same ole sane ole
Does trolling just a hobby ? Serious question
You become comical after a while.
No what's comical is it's more likely we battle Vandy for 6th place than it is we beat any other east opponents. Right now they are the only east team Vegas would have us favored against, so Vegas must be trolling us as well I suppose.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
i wouldn’t even use mizzou as a comparison, they backed into the east championship both times. hell they probably didn’t even know they had won it either time until they saw the sunday paper. ridiculous.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
1 in how many years in the SEC? So what are the odds of that happening if we don't get to consistent top 10 recruiting?
The odds are better than “never” which is what I was countering. In theory we agree- we need better talent to climb that mountain. I suppose I am just a bit more patient in my expectations of how soon we should be able to claw ourselves out this hole and begin the ascent.

No what's comical is it's more likely we battle Vandy for 6th place than it is we beat any other east opponents. Right now they are the only east team Vegas would have us favored against, so Vegas must be trolling us as well I suppose.
Right now we are team on fire. We won 6 games combined of our last 22. Right now we just need to get our head above water, show the nee staff has a better plan, get guys in to show them how attractive our facilities and new culture is, prove it is working on the field and build at a reasonable pace. Right now we are just barely better than Vandy in everyone’s eyes. If we win some games, that perception will shift and we can start selling something more highly sought after recruits will buy.

i wouldn’t even use mizzou as a comparison, they backed into the east championship both times. hell they probably didn’t even know they had won it either time until they saw the sunday paper. ridiculous.
It is ridiculous to imply any team can back into multiple SEC East Championships. They won them fair and square.. “the East was not as good then”… Oh, why? “Because UGA, Florida and UT did not win as many games those years”. They did not win as many because teams like Mizzou and USC were beating them more than normal in those seasons when Mizzou won the East and the season we won it/ the seasons we contended for it. It becomes a cyclical/ chicken or the egg argument eventually. Were UGA/UF/UT “down” or were historically down teams just better? If we get back to contending for the East we will have to beat those teams more often and suddenly people will say “oh well the East is not as good now”..

Well being as Beamer was on staff when we landed our only top 10 class under SOS and went on to become the recruiting coordinator who helped sign the 12th ranked 2009 class… I’d say he may be the only coach in America who has first hand knowledge of how to recruit at that level here.
As I said, we will see. But recruiting for a hall of fame coach is a whole different ball game than recruiting for yourself who has never been a head coach before. Time will tell.

Does it matter how they won the division? I'd say no.

And if Mizzou backed into it, we did as well. 5-3 conference record wasn't exactly taking the division by storm.

It is ridiculous to imply any team can back into multiple SEC East Championships. They won them fair and square.. “the East was not as good then”… Oh, why? “Because UGA, Florida and UT did not win as many games those years”. They did not win as many because teams like Mizzou and USC were beating them more than normal in those seasons when Mizzou won the East and the season we won it/ the seasons we contended for it. It becomes a cyclical/ chicken or the egg argument eventually. Were UGA/UF/UT “down” or were historically down teams just better? If we get back to contending for the East we will have to beat those teams more often and suddenly people will say “oh well the East is not as good now”..
what? all the teams besides tenn were ranked. we shit the bed and lost buy a fg. tenn shit the bed and got gut stomped by mizzou, a team that we beat. uga also shit the bed against mizzou. it was just bad luck all the way around. to say the east was down is absurd. four teams beat up on each other and mizzou came out with the ace up it’s sleeve simply beating tennessee. again, we shouldn’t have lost to tennessee.

what? all the teams besides tenn were ranked. we shit the bed and lost buy a fg. tenn shit the bed and got gut stomped by mizzou, a team that we beat. uga also shit the bed against mizzou. it was just bad luck all the way around. to say the east was down is absurd. four teams beat up on each other and mizzou came out with the ace up it’s sleeve simply beating tennessee. again, we shouldn’t have lost to tennessee.
which season are you referring to specifically? Mizzou won in 2013 and 2014. They went 11-1 in 2013 and barly lost to AU in the CG- that is not backing into anything- that is pretty dominant. They went 10-2 the following season with only one SEC loss prior to making the SEC CG and losing big to Bama.

We were fortunate to make the SEC CG in 09 certainly but we only lost 3 games in the regular season… I am not sure what you are rambling on about soecifically in this post as it seems you are talking about our 09 season when I was mostly talking about the Mizzou examples and how silly it was to say they “backed into the SEC East title” when they only lost one SEC game each season they made it. Regardless, my point is and has been from the start- nobody “backs into” a conference championship game. The criteria are clearly laid out and there is no subjectivity there. You either deserve it or you do not- Mizzou absolutely deserved it, as did we when we made it.

ADVERTISEMENT