ADVERTISEMENT

Dang...Kentucky with 6 4*'s

which season are you referring to specifically? Mizzou won in 2013 and 2014. They went 11-1 in 2013 and barly lost to AU in the CG- that is not backing into anything- that is pretty dominant. They went 10-2 the following season with only one SEC loss prior to making the SEC CG and losing big to Bama.

We were fortunate to make the SEC CG in 09 certainly but we only lost 3 games in the regular season… I am not sure what you are rambling on about soecifically in this post as it seems you are talking about our 09 season when I was mostly talking about the Mizzou examples and how silly it was to say they “backed into the SEC East title” when they only lost one SEC game each season they made it. Regardless, my point is and has been from the start- nobody “backs into” a conference championship game. The criteria are clearly laid out and there is no subjectivity there. You either deserve it or you do not- Mizzou absolutely deserved it, as did we when we made it.
I think you are referring to the 2010 CG .That season was one of ups and downs. Beat Alabama, lost the following week at Kentucky, lost by a touchdown at auburn, didn’t seem to show up against arkansas, and got our monkey asses made famous in the cg against auburn.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
Missouri has been a thorn in our side since they joined the SEC, but we out recruit them nearly every year.
Missouri has won the East at least twice.
Well they got Arkansas from us just when Arkansas wasn’t good anymore. Missouri and arguably Vanderbilt have easier road to the SEC East (Arkansas and Ole Miss), then there’s Kentucky with yearly cross divisional rival with Miss State.

Well they got Arkansas from us just when Arkansas wasn’t good anymore. Missouri and arguably Vanderbilt have easier road to the SEC East (Arkansas and Ole Miss), then there’s Kentucky with yearly cross divisional rival with Miss State.
Could have been a lot worse. You guys could have been like TN in 1991. Arguing, whining, crying, bringing state legislatures into the mix. All to make sure that TN had to play Bama EVERY YEAR.

How much regret is there in the Volunteer State over all that belly-aching. It's 30 years later and there's the same amount of whining and crying. Except now they don't want to play Bama.

• Haha
Reactions: TAV31
You must win the division before you can win the SEC championship. We out recruit Missouri nearly every year. They have two division titles in 9 years. We have one division title in 30 years. For some reason Missouri gets better results from their recruiting than we get from ours.

They also benefited from a weak SEC east. Once the traditional powers got better, they haven't sniffed an east title.

Could have been a lot worse. You guys could have been like TN in 1991. Arguing, whining, crying, bringing state legislatures into the mix. All to make sure that TN had to play Bama EVERY YEAR.

How much regret is there in the Volunteer State over all that belly-aching. It's 30 years later and there's the same amount of whining and crying. Except now they don't want to play Bama.

Our legislature settled that question way before that…….today’s generation x y z or whatever may not, but the true fans do.
No one runs from Goliath.

I look at South Carolina football the same way Billy Beane saw the Oakland A's in the movie Moneyball. If we cant come close to bringing in the talent the best teams in the SEC bring in, then we cant play the game the way they do and expect to beat them.
Go look at the NFL draft. There are more players drafted than you may be aware of that were not recruited by the P5 schools. These guys end up in the G5 schools because they were overlooked. They become outstanding players, and make it to the NFL. South Carolina has to do a better job identifying this pool of overlooked talent.
If anyone reading this has not seen Moneyball, its worth watching. I have watched it a few times. and I see a mutual connection to South Carolina football.
With that logic you are going to be taking chances that the vast majority of these players are those unheralded players that make it to the league. Sure, a few develop and make it out of thousands, and rarely does it have anything to do with being "coached up". It's a simple game, there is no magic formula any staff has over any other as far as developing talent. By the way, speaking of Billy Beane. How many World Series games have they been in?

If you haven't seen UK's recruiting curve over the last 5 years you haven't been paying attention. It isn't anything drastic or phenomenal but Mark Stoops and Vince Marrow have been very blue collar at it and consistently tap the Ohio valley pipeline where a lot of other big schools recruit while we've been sitting with our thumb up our ass's through the end of the spurrier era and through the last clown's tenure.

Vince Marrow makes their recruiting engine run.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Mizzou backed in. We are the only team to go undefeated in their division and not win. Chicken curse.

Reactions: TAV31
If you haven't seen UK's recruiting curve over the last 5 years you haven't been paying attention. It isn't anything drastic or phenomenal but Mark Stoops and Vince Marrow have been very blue collar at it and consistently tap the Ohio valley pipeline where a lot of other big schools recruit while we've been sitting with our thumb up our ass's through the end of the spurrier era and through the last clown's tenure.

Bud Elliott's Blue Chip Ratio (BCR) was released last week. For those of you not familiar, Bud Elliott had a theory and so far, Math and History have proven him correct. His theory? To have a legit shot at a championship, more than 50% your team (85-Man Roster) has to consist of 4 and 5-Star talent.

Josh Pate did a show on this earlier this week. No surprise. Bama currently has the highest BCR of all recorded history.

One of my buddies did some research. He calculated UK's BCR at 38%. Guess we ain't making the Play-Off this year. But, I don't think any UK fan ever imagined that UK's roster would have almost half of its roster be 4 and 5-Star talent.

If you go back to 2015 (the period you seem to be referring to) we had a better class ranking- according to Rivals- than UK every single season until 2021 when we had our coaching change and focused much more on transfers which do not figure into the rankings at all. How can one say we sat around with our thumbs up our ass and got out recruited by Ky over that period? I do not see it.

Inexplicably, our last staff could not take that supposedly superior talent and win with it, so now they are a similar level SEC team to us but they have continuity at the coaching position and recent winning records- it makes sense they would currently have better commitments than us on paper today. We should look at teams like ky as an example of how you can build a decent program even without a stellar history. It takes continuity and building success from failure… Our staff is building some recruiting momentum now. If we win some games this year we should be right back where we belong- ahead of ky- very soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT