ADVERTISEMENT

Dangers of wearing masks in the heat and humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

world famous 3rd base hecklers

Sep 25, 2011
Keep this in mind when wearing mask in Columbia... Read this below, and be careful of overheating...

Dangers of wearing masks in the heat and humidity

https://www.wkrg.com/health/coronavirus/dangers-of-wearing-masks-in-the-heat-and-humidity/

“You add heat, humidity, probably months of more physical inactivity than usual because of social isolation and distancing, and now you mask up. It’s certainly going to make it a lot more difficult to breathe which can lead to further respiratory complications,” said Dr. Adrian DiVittorio.

You also have a better chance of overheating when you’re wearing a mask when it’s this hot outside.

“Our body has several methods and mechanisms on how we can cool ourselves down, sweating, etc. But one of them is through breathing out hot air. So if we’re increasing our work of breathing because we’re breaking through a mask in the heat and the humidity and then were unable to exhale hot air then certainly overheating can occur.,” said Dr. DiVittorio.

There are several symptoms you should watch for.

“If the symptoms of heat stroke or overheating or respiratory difficulties such as severe tiredness, very fast heart rate, severe panting then absolutely take the mask off, sit down and try to cool down. Take a few breaths.,” Dr. DiVittorio said.

If you have to be outside in the heat and humidity especially during this time when wearing masks is the recommendation, taking breaks and staying hydrated may be more important than ever. You can start conditioning your body now, before it gets hotter.

“The general recommendation that I give all my patients irrespective of what’s going on in the world with respect to wearing masks is 30 minutes of daily moderate-intensity aerobic exercise. You know we still advocate the use of masks, social isolation and distancing and the guidelines that we’ve recommended, they are working,” said Dr. DiVittorio.

He says if your face mask gets wet from sweating, it’s basically like having a wet towel over your face and it will make breathing even more difficult, so you really do need to have a backup mask or other face covering. He also says he knows of at least two incidences of young children overheating due to playing outside while wearing masks, so parents, please keep a very close eye on your little ones.

Columbia now requires you to wear a mask to combat coronavirus. Here are the details

Editor’s note: A previous version of this story had incorrect information about the penalty for not wearing a mask. Violating the ordinance is a civil infraction, not a misdemeanor, and carries a penalty of up to $25.

The city of Columbia is now requiring all residents to wear masks when they are in public to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

Council members voted 6-1 after a nearly 4-hour emergency session Tuesday to require the masks for anyone in public and within six feet of someone else. Employees of all businesses will also be required to wear masks.

Council member Daniel Rickenmann voted against the ordinance, saying that the wearing of masks should be an educational process.

Not wearing a mask is now a civil infraction with a fine up to $25. Those not complying will likely be given warnings first.

In addition, all restaurants, retail stores, grocery stores, salons and pharmacies must require their employees to wear a face covering at all times while having face-to-face interaction with the public. Any business owner or supervisor not complying with the ordinance could be fined up to $100 for each day of offense.

The new law will take affect Friday at 6 a.m. and last for 60 days.

“Masks work,” Mayor Steve Benjamin said. “This is not a perfect resolution but a step of the right direction.”

A system will be developed to make masks available to those who need them, the mayor said.

DHEC announced 890 new coronavirus cases Tuesday, after several days of cases near or above 1,000 daily

Linda Bell, the state’s epidemiologist, addressed the council via video conference and noted that 46% of the state’s 26,572 positive COVID-19 cases have been identified in the last two weeks. She said social distancing and masks “are the only tools we have” in combating the rising spread of the virus.

She told council members she was “alarmed and disheartened” at the number of people not wearing masks, particularly young adults.

While most teenagers and young adults are most resistant to becoming seriously ill from the virus, “you’re imposing that risk . . . on others.”

She added: “These measures from the local jurisdictions are badly needed.”

Under the new emergency ordinance, masks would be required for anyone:

▪ Inside a public building or waiting to enter a public building

▪ Interacting with someone within six feet in an outdoor space

▪ Engaged in business in a private space

▪ Using public or private transportation

▪ Walking in public where maintaining a six-foot distance from others may not be possible.

The ordinance defines a face mask as “at least a simple cloth face covering,” ranging from surgical masks, N95 respirators, face shields or bandanas, as long as it covers both the mouth and nose and does not have any holes.

The requirement would apply to anyone in the city limits aged 10 and up.

Columbia becomes the second major South Carolina city to require masks. Greenville City Council voted unanimously Monday to require masks.

Columbia’s ordinance also spells out when residents would not be required to wear masks. Those circumstances include:

▪ When riding in a personal vehicle

▪ When alone in an enclosed space, or when only other household members are present

▪ When outdoors and able to maintain a six-foot distance at all times

▪ While eating, drinking or smoking

▪ When wearing a mask could aggravate health conditions.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/article243737332.html?#storylink=cpy

I don't think there is any evidence that wearing a mask prevents covid. I never wear a mask and have not gotten sick. Meanwhile I know of a number of people who have gotten it and some wore masks routinely.

Reactions: Brutal Rooster
Gotta love non-medical people who make medical decisions for all of us because they know what`s best. Daniel Rickenmann just got my vote in the next election. Didn`t know City Council members all went to medical school.

I don't think there is any evidence that wearing a mask prevents covid. I never wear a mask and have not gotten sick. Meanwhile I know of a number of people who have gotten it and some wore masks routinely.

Most here have been saying for months that wearing masks is not most effective against contracting COVID-19. That may be breaking news to you, but people who have actually cared to follow this pandemic and educate themselves (by not watching Faxe News), knows already that social distancing and washing hands consistently with soap and water is a better preventative measures than simply wearing masks. By miles away the better preventative measures.

The masks that are designed in the first place to prevent or resist transmission of microorganisms and toxins through inhalation by the wearer, are certified by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) to filter a minimum of 95% of micro-particles. Thus the labeling of N (NIOSH-certified) 95. N95 masks used as a means of preventing the breathing of micro-particles like microorganisms (bacteria and virus) as well as toxic particles, are used mostly for the medical profession like nurses and physicians, who come into contact with such bio hazards on a daily basis.

Again, N95 masks are more important for medical staff at hospitals, not every-day citizens looking to stay non-infected. That is why when there was a major shortage of such N95 masks, it was a crisis within the medical profession moreso than with typical citizens.

The masks that common citizens need to use, are masks that prevent the exhalation of micro-particles, NOT masks that reduce or prevent inhalation. Just the typical loose-fitting surgical masks that loop around the ears is sufficient. These are for reducing the spread of water droplets from breathing out, that may contain the virus if the person is infected with COVID-19.

So, people can wear a N95 mask religiously, but never wash their hands and constantly touch their faces with their hands, and constantly move about in large crowds of people, and yes they can still easily get COVID-19. Because that's not what N95 masks are for, or how they best work.

And people can go about their lives never wearing a mask, and actually get infected with COVID-19, but again the educated among us (not you) know that there are many who are infected but are asymptomatic (have no symptoms), but still are carriers of the virus and can spread it to others who would get sick, even very sick.

This is the society that we all live in......

I can't breathe in the damn things. Only wear them where required anyway. Most should know that 99% of the masks one sees on folks won't keep them from catching the common cold. But when I do have to wear one, I am looking to see if they have any of those "I can't breathe" tshirts left over that I can slip on

Reactions: pepsicock
I can't breathe in the damn things. Only wear them where required anyway. Most should know that 99% of the masks one sees on folks won't keep them from catching the common cold. But when I do have to wear one, I am looking to see if they have any of those "I can't breathe" tshirts left over that I can slip on

People also use masks like N95 for non-medical or infectious disease purposes, like in construction and home building. My family have several rental properties, and we have purchased bunches of N95 masks over the years when we renovate apartments using primer and spackling compound that we then sand away, which creates lots of dust particles. They have specific purposes, but a lot of people still don't understand how they can help and not help.....

If your fat ass can’t handle wearing a cloth mask while you go into TJ Maxx or Whole Foods...well you got much bigger issues than wearing a mask. Godspeed.

I can tell that you're not from around Columbia...

Come visit Columbia in middle of July, August, September and even in mid October and put a mask on outside... It will give you a whole new perspective of I can't breath...

Last edited:
Gotta love non-medical people who make medical decisions for all of us because they know what`s best. Daniel Rickenmann just got my vote in the next election. Didn`t know City Council members all went to medical school.
Sucks in VA because our Governor is a Dr and he is inclined to remind us of it 10-20 times in every press conference wherein he makes unconstitutional decisions.

Exactly. We should be demanding research-driven PROOF before submitting to their totalitarian demands.

Both my daughters are required to wear a mask at work. Both put in long hours. Both appear to have a rash on their face.

Reactions: TheReelEss
My sister is a nurse and I lean on her for real advice, not partisan rhetoric. Here's the truth of the matter. The virus isn't going to disappear if we all just wear masks. The only thing that will stop the spread of the virus is herd immunity. That can only come through widespread use of a good vaccine and/or exposure to the virus. Experts are split on how effective masks are for actually stopping the spread of the virus. The mask is to lower the risk of spreading from a person who already has the virus.

Last edited:
I was at the beach last week and saw lots of people wearing masks the wrong way. With their noses exposed or under their chins. And there are a lot of people wearing masks that don't work. Are you going to sneeze in the mask? If you're going to wear one wrong, why wear it?

I don`t wear a mask except in a nursing home. So ironic - can`t wear a mask while you smoke, huh? Guy in front of me in grocery store bought 2 packs of cigarettes - had his mask on, of course. He is probably a lot more likely to die of a heart attack or lung cancer than Covid. I`m rather amused, to be honest, at all of the Draconian mask measures, except it bothers my skin to wear one and I won`t succomb to mask-shaming. I don`t smoke, don`t drink much, am a vegetarian, can run 5 miles(slowly - more like fast walking - about once a month) and I`m 65. And your`re telling me I have to wear a freaking mask or the world may come to and end. Sorry, you weren`t making this the rule during the protests, but now you are. If you get Covid, chances are very good you may not even know it or have minor symptoms. Hypocrisy and hysteria are ruling the day. Can I drive to Cayce, W. Columbia or Lexington to go to the store starting Friday? What will happen is that I will still not wear a mask, unless I absolutely have to go to a store for something, and that I will drive farther, outside of the city, to shop.

Nobody is asking you to wear a mask outside.

Columbia’s ordinance also spells out when residents would not be required to wear masks. Those circumstances include:

▪ When outdoors and able to maintain a six-foot distance at all times

Yeah, you do outside, unless to can maintain a 6ft distance...

Not going help keeping 6ft 6ft distance walking down main street, Vista, Die Points on sidewalks or eating outside... Unless you have a something in your pocket that can message 6ft long...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT