ADVERTISEMENT

Danny Wuerffel

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
Was watching some of the SEC storied Wuerffel's way the other day, he played college ball before I really started watching. For the gamecocks on here who remember playing Florida back in those days, what were your impressions? Loved him? Hated him? He was labeled devoutly religious like Tim Tebow was, but it does not appear he was anywhere near as polarizing.

Was watching some of the SEC storied Wuerffel's way the other day, he played college ball before I really started watching. For the gamecocks on here who remember playing Florida back in those days, what were your impressions? Loved him? Hated him? He was labeled devoutly religious like Tim Tebow was, but it does not appear he was anywhere near as polarizing.
I remember him throwing 5 tds against us in 1995. 63-7 final. I stayed for the whole game.

He was a great college player. Thought his release was odd, but it worked for him. I was a fan of UF back then because of Spurrier. I was a receiver myself and would have loved to play for him.

Spurrier had a system that both got receivers open and employed a lot of spot passing because receivers weren't being jammed to the extent they are today. Wuerffel was tailormade to run that offense - a match made in heaven. I saw Florida play at least three times during those years - twice down there - and I loved watching them. And I loved the environment down there also. It was all a college football atmosphere should be - and more.

Reactions: DrMickey
Big and tough dude. Not smooth, not fast- lots of moving parts. Great vision and absolutely great arm. Spurrier loved the guy- he may have been the best to execute his offense.

He fit Spurrier’s offense perfectly. He could hit those short slant passes over the middle with his eyes closed.
Big and tough dude. Not smooth, not fast- lots of moving parts. Great vision and absolutely great arm. Spurrier loved the guy- he may have been the best to execute his offense.

Yep, Wuerffel was the quintessential Spurrier QB and the one to whome all other Spurrier QBs were compared.

Reactions: Captain Weegie
I remember him throwing 5 tds against us in 1995. 63-7 final. I stayed for the whole game.

I have to admit I left that one a bit early. I couldn't feel my feet! One of the colder games I remember if I'm thinking of the right game.

He was the guy that made me realize how much of a system Spurrier ran. Huge numbers in college and then in the NFL looked really bad in his opportunities there.

Graduated from South Carolina but worked at the University of Florida. I never met him, but I know people who know him and heard some stories about his life off the field. He was great college quarterback, and a is man of great character. His character was evident even as a young college student.

To the OP, yes he was labeled as devoutly religious. But he didn’t wear it on his sleeve like Tebo did that sort of rubbed some people the wrong way. I’m not saying either way is good or bad, but I’m sure Tebo annoyed some people with his discussions of his faith, more so than Weurffel.

Danny was Steve's alter ego.....and yes, he did get benched. Steve was rough on QBs.

Great qb that came across to me as a quiet leader. There wasn't much to dislike about him. I like Tebow but I can see how he'd rub some people the wrong way. You'd really have to try hard to not like Wuerffel.

I thought he had great receivers that made plays and a great coach/system, and he had nice touch.

Reidel Anthony was really really good, Ike Hilliard to, his running back Fred Taylor was not to shabby either.

giphy-downsized-large-5-1.gif

I thought he had great receivers that made plays and a great coach/system, and he had nice touch.

Reidel Anthony was really really good, Ike Hilliard to, his running back Fred Taylor was not to shabby either.

giphy-downsized-large-5-1.gif
Yeah he had a lot more touch than velocity.

Reactions: b.wun
I know Danny personally . He played at Fort Walton beach high school which is in my current hometown . As good as Danny was on the field he’s 100% better off the field . He’s devoted to his faith and he shares his testimony everywhere he goes . His NFL career wasn’t great but the amount of money and time he puts back into the community here is extremely substantial. Danny is a hero down here more for what he has done off the field than on it , which is saying a lot considering he is one of the greatest QB’s in Florida high school or college history . Can’t say enough good things about him .

I tell ya the guys who got overlooked in those UF juggernaut days were the RB’s . Eric Rhett and Fred Taylor were absolutely beasts . Rhett was off to a great start in the NFL before the injuries got to him
and Fred Taylor put up borderline Hall of Fame numbers in his career . Both were phenomenal receivers and pass blockers as well . Great players

Yeah I remember thinking Erict Rhett was going to be better than Emmitt Smith. Dude ran HARD.

Quick decision maker, level head, very accurate, surrounded by great talent and a great coach. One of the few QBs that didn't drive SOS crazy.

I know Danny personally . He played at Fort Walton beach high school which is in my current hometown . As good as Danny was on the field he’s 100% better off the field . He’s devoted to his faith and he shares his testimony everywhere he goes . His NFL career wasn’t great but the amount of money and time he puts back into the community here is extremely substantial. Danny is a hero down here more for what he has done off the field than on it , which is saying a lot considering he is one of the greatest QB’s in Florida high school or college history . Can’t say enough good things about him .

Agreed...incredible college QB, and even better off the field. Left the NFL, and then moved to one of the worst parts of New Orleans to help improve it by spreading the Gospel. Desire Street Ministries is his organization, I think.

IMO, Wuerfel was not as polarizing as Tebow because he doesn't call attention to himself. He'd never take a job at ESPN, and he'll never grace the cover of GQ. But he will put his arm around you, tell you about Jesus and ask if he can help you with anything.

I dont many people that didnt despise Spurrier in the 90s, but I cannot recall having any opinion on Wuerffel which mean he was likely ok. Now with FSU, I think I pulled against them and their QBs all the time. I was in my teens at the time.

I dont many people that didnt despise Spurrier in the 90s, but I cannot recall having any opinion on Wuerffel which mean he was likely ok. Now with FSU, I think I pulled against them and their QBs all the time. I was in my teens at the time.
After watching Spurrier destroy us as well as others,I couldn’t stand him.Then he became our guy and I loved him.So ,my saying is this....”Be careful who you HATE,he may become your ball coach”.

He used to be a neighbor of mine. He was a very nice guy with a nice family. They run a mission for homeless people based in Decatur, GA. He was a great QB in the SOS system.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT