ADVERTISEMENT

Darla Moore angry at USC

I can get my hands on a hard copy too, LOL.

And just for Ss & Gs, I simply went to the P&C Home Page, clicked on Obituaries, chose Charleston and typed in Lorraine Moore. Again, there it is. That's 3 different ways I've found it.

If we have people in our Admin that can't find a simple obit in the newspaper, that explains a whole helluva lot. And given that she is our largest benefactor, it's our responsibility to check for things like this on the regular, ONLINE AND IN PRINT.

Last edited:
I can get my hands on a hard copy.

That would be awesome. I don't really have a dog in the fight. I want to know what really happened. If it is listed in the hard copy of the paper, there is no excuse and somebody should be fired.

If it was in the paper and nobody responded, she has every right to be furious.

That would be awesome. I don't really have a dog in the fight. I want to know what really happened. If it is listed in the hard copy of the paper, there is no excuse and somebody should be fired.

If it was in the paper and nobody responded, she has every right to be furious.
Yeah...no. I've done enough of your work for you. Time for you to do it for yourself.

Yeah...no. I've done enough of your work for you. Time for you to do it for yourself.

For the record, I found that yesterday. But there is no way to really tell when that was actually listed on the web. Sometimes those don't show up for a couple of days. I was suspicious that nobody posted on it until the 4th. So, no, you didn't really do any work for me.

Like I said, I just want to know when the info was available and if our folks had access to it before the letter was sent. If it was listed in the paper and they didn't respond, then it's on them.

We now know (as does everyone frinkin else) that we have a 10+ Billionaire alum in our rear view mirror.

Just like football, next man/women Billionaire up.

Who’s on our short list?

For the record, I found that yesterday. But there is no way to really tell when that was actually listed on the web. Sometimes those don't show up for a couple of days. I was suspicious that nobody posted on it until the 4th. So, no, you didn't really do any work for me.

Like I said, I just want to know when the info was available and if our folks had access to it before the letter was sent. If it was listed in the paper and they didn't respond, then it's on them.
It was also published on SCNow (on the web) on April 2, 2021. The University wasn't closed on April 2 (Good Friday), so that can't be an excuse either.

Again, given her status as our largest benefactor, it's our responsibility to check for these kinds of things ONLINE and IN PRINT (who really gets an actual paper these days anyway) so we don't get caught with our proverbial pants down. We failed.

Reactions: rogue cock
It was also published on SCNow (on the web) on April 2, 2021. The University wasn't closed on April 2 (Good Friday), so that can't be an excuse either.

Again, given her status as our largest benefactor, it's our responsibility to check for these kinds of things ONLINE and IN PRINT (who really gets an actual paper these days anyway) so we don't get caught with our proverbial pants down. We failed.

Ok. You win. :)

Somebody should be fired. This is on USC.

Reactions: viennacocks
The sad part is that there is software that will look for these things across the web and social media. Surely we are using something like that. Most companies use it to manage reputation.

It if was available two places on the web, that's inexcusable.

Reactions: rogue cock
Now the only question is did somebody just miss it or was it an intentional snub.

Not sure I want to know. If this was an intentional snub, I'm not sure I could look at my school the same way anymore.

I feel like Charlie Brown. I really want to believe in my school because it is dear to my heart, but this is always how it ends up.

It never stops being hard to be a Gamecock. :confused:

giphy.gif

Reactions: bcs bound
False. But I know that's the narrative she tries to push with her semantics games. She likes to claim his wealth tripled by marrying her. But all she's doing it taking credit for his wealth accumulating after their marriage.

There is a reason all of her philanthropy started after her marriage. But this thread isn't really grounded in reality unfortunately.

Actually Rainwater himself claimed that..for whatever that is worth. He *was* more successful than her before they were married, but she was a very successful banker in her own right.

From my perspective, it reeks of bad behaviour on both sides. One does not excuse the other.

While I dont agree with your assessment of Mrs Moore......lets just say our interests are with how the university that we support and many of us attended and support financially behaves. While anyone has the right to be critical of Darla Moore's reaction, that still has nothing to do with the appalling fact of this incredible screw up by USC and its fundraising and development efforts.

I have no interest in assigning accountability to a grieving daughter who lose her mother. I am, however, very interested in accountability for our university that seems to constantly make these head-scratching, self-induced mistakes.

Actually Rainwater himself claimed that..for whatever that is worth. He *was* more successful than her before they were married, but she was a very successful banker in her own right.
Yes she was. She was the highest paid banker female banker in the entire country. But watson is convinced, I guess, that she was renting a room by the week in some low rent boarding house before she married. Why he's insistent on tearing this woman, who's contributed more to our school than anyone in our history, down is bizarre. We apparently screwed up. I would love to see evidence to the contrary but it does not appear to be forthcoming.

I shared this whole saga with my wife, who is an alumna of Georgia State.

After reading the P&C's article from April 6, she thinks that it was intentional, not an "oops" that USC did not acknowledge Lorraine Moore's passing to her daughter. And that it's petty behaviour in light of USC hiring Caslen as president.

FWIW

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I shared this whole saga with my wife, who is an alumna of Georgia State.

After reading the P&C's article from April 6, she thinks that it was intentional, not an "oops" that USC did not acknowledge Lorraine Moore's passing to her daughter. And that it's petty behaviour in light of USC hiring Caslen as president.

FWIW
It was 100% intentional. We are getting back at her for raising issues with the Caslen hire. No doubt in my mind. The university should be embarrassed.

Yes she was. She was the highest paid banker female banker in the entire country. But watson is convinced, I guess, that she was renting a room by the week in some low rent boarding house before she married. Why he's insistent on tearing this woman, who's contributed more to our school than anyone in our history, down is bizarre. We apparently screwed up. I would love to see evidence to the contrary but it does not appear to be forthcoming.
Paging @polo-loco again. This is what a strawman argument looks like.

As for bird hunter you continue to define what you consider wealthy and provide confirmation she met that definition.

As for bird hunter you continue to define what you consider wealthy and provide confirmation she met that definition.
Getting closer. But no. He's not pretending you actually said that. He's mocking the logical absurdity of your argument using irony. It's called sarcasm.

Last edited:

I didn't know it was my job to define anything for you. You seem to have a problem, I guess, with a successful women. Wealth is relative, but I'll give it a shot anyway. She had a higher profile job making more money than you will ever make. I'd bet the house on that. She married a man who was highly successful thereby increasing the distance in wealth between you and anything you will likely ever see. So deal with it, it's reality. Now, when you're the highest paid male in your profession in the entire US, I'll gladly revisit this & give you big props & concede that you too are wealthy unless you prove too stupid to manage your money. Let me know when that happens.

Last edited:
I want to offer my condolences to Darla Moore for the loss of her mother. Darla Moore has been extremely generous to the University of South Carolina. Because of her relationship with the university, USC should have acknowledged her mother's passing regardless of how much money she donated. As a graduate of the business school, I have always appreciated her generosity.

Reactions: viennacocks
I didn't know it was my job to define anything for you. You seem to have a problem, I guess, with a successful women. Wealth is relative, but I'll give it a shot anyway. She had a higher profile job making more money than you will ever make. I'd bet the house on that. She married a man who was highly successful thereby increasing the distance in wealth between you and anything you will likely ever see. So deal with it, it's reality. Now, when you're the highest paid male in your profession in the entire US, I'll gladly revisit this & give you big props & concede that you too are wealthy unless you prove too stupid to manage your money. Let me know when that happens.
At least you’ve given up the facade that you’re here for an honest discussion with this one.

I feel like Charlie Brown. I really want to believe in my school because it is dear to my heart, but this is always how it ends up.

It never stops being hard to be a Gamecock. :confused:

There’s a reason we’re ranked behind schools like UGA and Clemp in academics and athletics.

Maybe, but we’re ranked behind most other schools that we (think we) compete with in academics and athletics for a reason.
This thread highlights an issue I have wondered about for a while. Why is it that we (and by "we" I mean the alumni of any university, but especially large universities) feel like we have such a vested interest in the overall activities of the university as a whole? I'm not talking about athletics - being a sports fan defies logic, but it's a pastime and a form of entertainment, so my love of Gamecock sports makes as much sense as an obsession with lowering a golf handicap or shooting an elk with 6 points on each side of his head rather than 5. I'm asking why do we develop such strong emotional attachments to a multi-billion-dollar enterprise to which we are no longer officially connected? Why am I expected to be a "fan" of the academic programs of the university in the same way that I am about the football team?

We go to high school. We develop some emotional attachments to the school by virtue of the friendships we developed there and the activities we engaged in. But a lot of our old high schools, literally, don't even exist any more. We don't set a goal of sending our kids and grandkids to our old school.

I spent three pretty good (but difficult) years of my life at the USC being trained in the law. In exchange for that training, I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $75,000 (that was a long time ago). It's natural that I have some continued interest in the current goings-on of the USC law school, but what difference does it make to me if SC is a tier 2 or tier3 school in the latest magazine-rankings of the law schools? Granted, I would care more about those rankings if I was a current student at the school, but once I'm settled into my respective career, what difference does it make? Why am I expected to care much about who the university hires as presidents and deans and multi-million-dollar academic buildings that I will likely never enter? It all strikes me as a highly-manipulative and an odd form of tribalism.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
This thread highlights an issue I have wondered about for a while. Why is it that we (and by "we" I mean the alumni of any university, but especially large universities) feel like we have such a vested interest in the overall activities of the university as a whole? I'm not talking about athletics - being a sports fan defies logic, but it's a pastime and a form of entertainment, so my love of Gamecock sports makes as much sense as an obsession with lowering a golf handicap or shooting an elk with 6 points on each side of his head rather than 5. I'm asking why do we develop such strong emotional attachments to a multi-billion-dollar enterprise to which we are no longer officially connected? Why am I expected to be a "fan" of the academic programs of the university in the same way that I am about the football team?

We go to high school. We develop some emotional attachments to the school by virtue of the friendships we developed there and the activities we engaged in. But a lot of our old high schools, literally, don't even exist any more. We don't set a goal of sending our kids and grandkids to our old school.

I spent three pretty good (but difficult) years of my life at the USC being trained in the law. In exchange for that training, I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $75,000 (that was a long time ago). It's natural that I have some continued interest in the current goings-on of the USC law school, but what difference does it make to me if SC is a tier 2 or tier3 school in the latest magazine-rankings of the law schools? Granted, I would care more about those rankings if I was a current student at the school, but once I'm settled into my respective career, what difference does it make? Why am I expected to care much about who the university hires as presidents and deans and multi-million-dollar academic buildings that I will likely never enter? It all strikes me as a highly-manipulative and an odd form of tribalism.
Yeah, tribalism. That's, of course, an oversimplification. Group identify has psych-social benefits, though watching Muschamp football makes me wonder if it's a collective insanity

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT