ADVERTISEMENT

Darla Moore angry at USC

Yeah, tribalism. That's, of course, an oversimplification. Group identify has psych-social benefits, though watching Muschamp football makes me wonder if it's a collective insanity
I can buy all of that, including the intangible benefits of group identity. But I think those benefits are largely met through our mutual love (or insanity) of the sports programs. I suspect our obsessions with the sports programs is probably what drives us to pull for the university as a whole. It's probably a statement as to the powerful marketing tool that athletics programs are for a school.

I can buy all of that, including the intangible benefits of group identity. But I think those benefits are largely met through our mutual love (or insanity) of the sports programs. I suspect our obsessions with the sports programs is probably what drives us to pull for the university as a whole. It's probably a statement as to the powerful marketing tool that athletics programs are for a school.
You probably feel more this way because you didn't do your undergraduate degree at Carolina.

I would think most people who are purely associated with the school through athletics really don't care about the academic side of the house. However, their frustration with the AD may lead them to more hatred of the academic leadership.

When was your last MRI? Have you suffered any recent head injuries? You're bouncing from one argument to the next on this board and you're obviously, demonstrably wrong in every instance. It's weird.
It’s a shame you won’t take up my offer to take the PHIL 114 course. I would love watching you tell the professor that he’s just wrong.

You want me to post my syllabus to FGF? Yeah, I'm not doxing myself. But for Christ's sakes, if were going to lie about something, it wouldn't be that.
It would be a good thing to lie about considering you’ve shown a poor understanding of logical fallacies in this thread.

I’m going to assume if true, you just provide a cursory overview of them. So you know the terms but don’t truly understand them.

It would be a good thing to lie about considering you’ve shown a poor understanding of logical fallacies in this thread.

I’m going to assume if true, you just provide a cursory overview of them. So you know the terms but don’t truly understand them.
I'm enjoying a lecture on how "the English language works" from a guy who doesn't understand the basic rules of punctuation.

So, (hint) your posts are littered with grammatical mistakes. However, I don't want to continue hijacking this thread by explaining the elementary rules of grammar.
Who gives a shit about grammatical errors on a message board. That’s aome big me little you bullshit right there. I can’t make my point so I’m going to correct your grammar. What a joke.

Who gives a shit about grammatical errors on a message board. That’s aome big me little you bullshit right there. I can’t make my point so I’m going to correct your grammar. What a joke.
First, you should immediately change your handle, "boom4life." Second, I don't really care. But, and you'd know this is you actually read the thread, the poster I was addressing has spent several posts explaining how I don't "understand how the English language works." Yet, his posts are filled with grammatical mistakes. It's kinda weird. Third, you should immediately change your handle, "boom4life." That needed repeating. Fourth, what's "aome big me little you little bullshit right there" mean? I haven't had enough to drink to decipher.

So, (hint) your posts are littered with grammatical mistakes. However, I don't want to continue hijacking this thread by explaining the elementary rules of grammar.
“I can totally prove you wrong, but I just won’t do it.”

I would laugh but honestly it’s just sad.

“I can totally prove you wrong, but I just won’t do it.”

I would laugh but honestly it’s just sad.
"So [sic] you know the terms but don’t truly understand them."

"As for bird hunter [sic] you continue to define what you consider wealthy and provide confirmation she met that definition."

"For all those asking why our university lags behind other universities. [sic] It’s because of logic like this ^^^"

"So [sic] you make a business analogy then want to debate semantics about donors versus customers?"

I get it, [sic] you’re stuck in a hard situation where you don’t know how to save face. If you admit you argued Darla Moore was bigger than the college [sic] you now realize how dumb it sounds. But at the same time if you acknowledge she isn’t bigger than the college [sic] you have to admit this current situation isn’t as big of a deal as you’re pretending."

"Plus [sic] they’re giving her credit for the international business program that definitely predates her first donation."

"You also don't understand what a strawman argument is [sic] so I doubt you understand the term hypocrisy."

"Don't worry [sic] I don't expect you to apologize, [sic] because people never are able to admit when they're wrong on here."

"Words mean things. Luckily [sic] USC taught me that.

You asked for it...

Last edited:
"So [sic] you know the terms but don’t truly understand them."

"As for bird hunter [sic] you continue to define what you consider wealthy and provide confirmation she met that definition."

"For all those asking why our university lags behind other universities. [sic] It’s because of logic like this ^^^"

"So [sic] you make a business analogy then want to debate semantics about donors versus customers?"

I get it, [sic] you’re stuck in a hard situation where you don’t know how to save face. If you admit you argued Darla Moore was bigger than the college [sic] you now realize how dumb it sounds. But at the same time if you acknowledge she isn’t bigger than the college [sic] you have to admit this current situation isn’t as big of a deal as you’re pretending."

"Plus [sic] they’re giving her credit for the international business program that definitely predates her first donation."

"You also don't understand what a strawman argument is [sic] so I doubt you understand the term hypocrisy."

You asked for it...

Ooof. You don't really understand the rules on commas. The only actual mistake was leaving off the comma when addressing birdhunter.

You're welcome to go paste them into Grammarly and it will show you.

Reactions: atl-cock
Ooof. You don't really understand the rules on commas. The only actual mistake was leaving off the comma when addressing birdhunter.

You're welcome to go paste them into Grammarly and it will show you.
Grammarly: Face. Palm.

Man, the more details that come out, the nuttier and nuttier Darla looks. It's readily apparent that she essentially cut all ties with the University following the hire of Caslen. She has not spoken to Caslen once since he was hired in 2019 and has, for the most part, cut off ties with the BOT as well.

Now, after taking such steps to end the relationship, she feigns outrage when the University didn't fawn all over her after her mom died. Why would they? There was no relationship any longer. She'd made sure of that. She doesn't want a relationship with Caslen but wants him to kiss her fanny anyway? No way.

Are we to accept that she can 1) Intentionally sever any personal and financial relationship with the University and then 2) Expect to still be treated as a close ally of the University when a family member dies?

Absolutely not. If you want favored status, then you've got to do your part. Who cares if she's given the most amount of money in our University's history? She hasn't given money in a while and she made it abundantly clear some time ago that she's no longer a supporter.

This woman is no friend of the University and has not been for quite some time. It's perplexing to me to see so many people hypnotized by her wealth when she's so openly opposed to the University.

Reactions: uscwatson21
This thread highlights an issue I have wondered about for a while. Why is it that we (and by "we" I mean the alumni of any university, but especially large universities) feel like we have such a vested interest in the overall activities of the university as a whole? I'm not talking about athletics - being a sports fan defies logic, but it's a pastime and a form of entertainment, so my love of Gamecock sports makes as much sense as an obsession with lowering a golf handicap or shooting an elk with 6 points on each side of his head rather than 5. I'm asking why do we develop such strong emotional attachments to a multi-billion-dollar enterprise to which we are no longer officially connected? Why am I expected to be a "fan" of the academic programs of the university in the same way that I am about the football team?

We go to high school. We develop some emotional attachments to the school by virtue of the friendships we developed there and the activities we engaged in. But a lot of our old high schools, literally, don't even exist any more. We don't set a goal of sending our kids and grandkids to our old school.

I spent three pretty good (but difficult) years of my life at the USC being trained in the law. In exchange for that training, I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $75,000 (that was a long time ago). It's natural that I have some continued interest in the current goings-on of the USC law school, but what difference does it make to me if SC is a tier 2 or tier3 school in the latest magazine-rankings of the law schools? Granted, I would care more about those rankings if I was a current student at the school, but once I'm settled into my respective career, what difference does it make? Why am I expected to care much about who the university hires as presidents and deans and multi-million-dollar academic buildings that I will likely never enter? It all strikes me as a highly-manipulative and an odd form of tribalism.
Though-provoking posts like this one keep me coming back.

Man, the more details that come out, the nuttier and nuttier Darla looks. It's readily apparent that she essentially cut all ties with the University following the hire of Caslen. She has not spoken to Caslen once since he was hired in 2019 and has, for the most part, cut off ties with the BOT as well.

Now, after taking such steps to end the relationship, she feigns outrage when the University didn't fawn all over her after her mom died. Why would they? There was no relationship any longer. She'd made sure of that. She doesn't want a relationship with Caslen but wants him to kiss her fanny anyway? No way.

Are we to accept that she can 1) Intentionally sever any personal and financial relationship with the University and then 2) Expect to still be treated as a close ally of the University when a family member dies?

Absolutely not. If you want favored status, then you've got to do your part. Who cares if she's given the most amount of money in our University's history? She hasn't given money in a while and she made it abundantly clear some time ago that she's no longer a supporter.

This woman is no friend of the University and has not been for quite some time. It's perplexing to me to see so many people hypnotized by her wealth when she's so openly opposed to the University.
My wife would agree with this 100%. While I'm not 100% convinced that this is what's going on, your argument is most convincing. If there's a severance, I can see why the Development Department would have sat this out, and USC ended up being surprised at Darla's wrath.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT