ADVERTISEMENT

Darla Moore angry at USC

Ok, so let's assume all the worst-case scenario is true: USC either intentionally or unintentionally didn't send condolences for Darla's mom. They have also been willfully negligent in trying to mend the relationship with Darla. Anything that's wrong is 100% the University's fault.

What's the absolute worst imaginable outcome? Will the University go out of business?

I'm sure it will all be smoothed over will some Cat 5 ass kicking I think she somewhat overreacted anyway.

haha, just a tad. but at least we've all learned something: there's an absolute maximum of a 96-hour time period to send condolences to someone before they can send you a blisteringly immature letter.

Ok, so let's assume all the worst-case scenario is true: USC either intentionally or unintentionally didn't send condolences for Darla's mom. They have also been willfully negligent in trying to mend the relationship with Darla. Anything that's wrong is 100% the University's fault.

What's the absolute worst imaginable outcome? Will the University go out of business?
I would say aside from the financial hit and diversion of those resources elsewhere (maybe even our chief rival) I certainly think there is an increase in reputation risk. Just not good look for whom the entire program is named after to essentially say spending resources on USC her biggest regret.

This isn’t true at all. Most successful businesses know sometimes you have to let a customer go.
Well, we have donors not customers. You absolutely make sure you keep your largest donor happy. You think Arkansas would piss off the Waltons, Tysons, Reynolds, etc? Heck no. You think Okie St. would have pissed off T Boone? Nope.

But hey...Im sure you're one of the ones that thinks we have a large endowment.

your post is laughable.

even if the University had appropriately sent condolences it would be a PR nightmare for the University to come out and throw Darla under the bus by saying she's lying. talk about dumping gasoline on a little flame. absolutely the worst course of action. unlike Darla's childish letter that she publicly release, the ONLY professional way for USC to handle this privately with Darla. then, perhaps, they should later release statement saying they have reach out to her and settled the issue.

i'm not insulting Darla. just calling her letter for what it was.

You say my post is laughable but you cannot refute any of the reasons I list why its logical that someone tend to believe what Mrs Moore states......even if you disagree with her tone.

Come on. Be upset with the university officials that made this enormous error. I have had many professional relationships with college development professionals. I can tell you, for the folks who do university fundraising as a career, what happened here is a complete disaster for fundraising efforts.

Nobody else thinks it's strange that we didn't anything about her death until this letter? Didn't see anything about it in the paper this weekend.

Something doesn't smell right.
It was in the P&C April 1-2, 2021. From the Legacy website, at the bottom of the obit -

"Published by Charleston Post & Courier from Apr. 1 to Apr. 2, 2021."

The P&C is distributed in Columbia, and I'm sure we have BOT members located in the Lowcountry.

Last edited:
It was in the P&C April 1-2, 2021. From the Legacy website, at the bottom of the obit -

And that somehow didn't' make a news article anywhere I can find. No press release anywhere. Nobody here knew about it because I'm pretty sure something like that would make this board.

Just seems strange to me consider how prominent a figure she is in SC and at USC.

Well, we have donors not customers. You absolutely make sure you keep your largest donor happy. You think Arkansas would piss off the Waltons, Tysons, Reynolds, etc? Heck no. You think Okie St. would have pissed off T Boone? Nope.

But hey...Im sure you're one of the ones that thinks we have a large endowment.
So you make a business analogy then want to debate semantics about donors versus customers?

Probably a sign your argument isn’t very strong.

You were already proven wrong yet you persist with the identical claim.

Notice, there were only 11 responses to that Legacy page and the earliest was April 4th.

So, the P&C knew about this and it didn't even think it was worthy of an article, just some obscure Legacy page that nobody really saw.

Sorry. I'm not buying that. Media loves stuffs like this.

Clemson knew about it, maybe they should ask Clemson what papers they read.

Something else to conveniently make us look bad. Seems too convenient.

google Post and Courier darla moore and limit the dates to 4/1 to 4/5, and there is nothing about her death.

So you make a business analogy then want to debate semantics about donors versus customers?

Probably a sign your argument isn’t very strong.
Says the guy that twisted my words yesterday to state that I suggested Darla was bigger than the university. Semantics? Pot calling the kettle black?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Says the guy that twisted my words yesterday to state that I suggested Darla was bigger than the university. Semantics? Pot calling the kettle black?

I didn’t twist your word at all. You’re just refusing to own up to your words.

I get it, you’re stuck in a hard situation where you don’t know how to save face. If you admit you argued Darla Moore was bigger than the college you now realize how dumb it sounds. But at the same time if you acknowledge she isn’t bigger than the college you have to admit this current situation isn’t as big of a deal as you’re pretending.

That’s a tough spot to be in if you don’t want to admit you were wrong.

Well the people who were high up (also known as the decision makers) apparently disagreed with your "definitely not a higher up" friend. Otherwise , they wouldn't have kept accepting her cash. When did this revelation occur? (her contributions go all the way back to at least 1998) Tell your friend good luck with dealing with those smaller donors to make up for this debacle. Sounds like some of these people need a new line of work. Working with Darla is apparently too hard for them, or we could be talking about plain lazy people sitting back collecting a check. Who knows?

I will also guarantee you that this will piss off many people who are smaller donors. So now you get a double whammy of bad.

All you need to do is re-read this poster's history of posts in this thread to know that nothing in his post you responded to is based on anything remotely like the truth. Like the Covid back in March 2020, just another one of those, "my cousin works with a guy who's wife dates someone in the administration...." type posts......

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Its hard to believe you can even type that first sentence. Of course there are legit reasons to believe her statements are true.

Just a few of those reasons are:

1. The university has not contradicted the statement. In PR world....silence usually means guilt.
2. She is the respected, largest donor (BY FAR) in the history of the university with no history of mistruths about her alma mater.
3. There is a long and ugly history of these kind of self-inflicted screw-ups at USC. Is anyone really surprised? Really?
4. In these scenarios, usually organizations issue private as well as public condolences. Have you seen any previous public statements via social media, etc. at all? At the very least one would think there would be a tribute post on the Moore School's social media page(s).

Its frustrating to see so many in this thread leaping to off-base insults of Mrs. Moore. This was a royal screw-up by our university and there simply is no other way to categorize it. The impact of this cannot be over-stated. It is a public relations nightmare....just the latest in a string of many unfortunately.

Maybe our supporters, when these things happen, should focus our frustration on the school administration where it should be to demand a beginning to digging ourselves out of this total culture of mediocrity that currently exists at Carolina.
From my perspective, it reeks of bad behaviour on both sides. One does not excuse the other.

Oprah Winfrey and Bill Gates are both top 400 richest Americans. Are you trying to argue that Darla and Richard were comparable to Bill and Oprah?

South Carolina's and Alabama's CFB programs are both top 130 CFB programs. Are you trying to say that our CFB program is comparable to Alabama's CFB program?

Nobody else thinks it's strange that we didn't anything about her death until this letter? Didn't see anything about it in the paper this weekend.

Something doesn't smell right.
You are correct. This fiasco has nothing to do with her mom dying per se. What happened here is a culmination of her frustration with Caslen being named president. She is pissed off and rightfully so. Caslen was forced on us by an ignorant and backward thinking foghorn leghorn as our governor. Nothing more nothing less. Also, for the idiots in this thread shitting on Darla Moore's integrity, you are children and have zero clue how the political and business world works and it's glaringly obvious. Just enjoy your degrees in Humanities and stfu.

There is ONE POSTER in this thread who has posted FAR MORE than anyone else, who is basically ALL BY HIM/HERSELF TAKING ON EVERY OTHER POSTER WHO HASN'T DEFENDED USC'S RELATIONSHIP WITH MOORE, AS IF HIS/HER VERY LIFE DEPENDS ON HIM/HER WINNING.

MR./MRS. TRY HARD JUST TRIES TOO HARD TO WIN THE DEBATE OF THE DAY, AND BE THE DEBATE OF THE DAY WINNER FOR ALL TO SEE.

At least he/she exposed him/herself by admitting that he/she often attends functions at Clemson University. Not that we really needed that confirmation to begin with.....

You are correct. This fiasco has nothing to do with her mom dying per se. What happened here is a culmination of her frustration with Caslen being named president. She is pissed off and rightfully so. Caslen was forced on us by an ignorant and backward thinking foghorn leghorn as our governor. Nothing more nothing less. Also, for the idiots in this thread shitting on Darla Moore's integrity, you are children and have zero clue how the political and business world works and it's glaringly obvious. Just enjoy your degrees in Humanities and stfu.

I'm quite sure it has SOMETHING to do with it. Just not everything to do with it....

Whether we were “set up” as some suggest or someone plain dropped the ball if there is a pooch to screw somehow USC is always in the middle of it.

I just find it strange that nobody in the media anywhere said anything about this until the letter was leaked.

That just doesn't seem right.

I just find it strange that nobody in the media anywhere said anything about this until the letter was leaked.

That just doesn't seem right.

Why do you keep repeating something after it has already been proven with evidence to be wrong?

And what point are you even attempting to posit? That the University is not able to be privy to personal information about a former BOT member and their largest donor, prior to local media being privy to it??

The P&C is distributed in Columbia, and I'm sure we have BOT members located in the Lowcountry.

Show it to me under either of those dates under obituaries. I didn't see it.

https://www.postandcourier.com/archive-search/

Maybe there is a perfectly legit explanation. Either way, I would like to know how this happened.

Was your father the #1 donor? Give 75 million? Have a business school named after him? It’s not even remotely the same.
No. No. And no. But I think either you’re missing my point, or I communicated it poorly. Does her money make her more worthy of condolences?

I think this is a false equivalency. She's the biggest individual donor for the University and is the namesake for our most prized department, the business school. I expect if the University is going to go show the smallest bit of respect for anyone it would be for her.
Your right. Darla Moore doesn’t possess a fraction of the good character my father possessed. She just had more money. But my father was far richer!

No. No. And no. But I think either you’re missing my point, or I communicated it poorly. Does her money make her more worthy of condolences?

Again, people offering positions of debate that are very difficult to decipher or wade through.

So I guess your argument is that USC administration should issue notices of condolences to ALL donors' families in times of sickness or death. Is that OK?

But unless USC engages in inhuman, cold, heartless robocalls to thousands of donors' families at once, they would most logically make calls or contacts one at a time. Does that sound reasonable??

So who should they prioritize to contact first - the donor who donated $1,000 or $5,000, or the donor who donated $75,000,000?? What order of importance should the administration take in this matter? And understand that your own subjective preference - your father being contacted first no matter what - should be discounted, as ALL donors would equally hold this same subjective perspective, as they should be expected to.....

That's not proof. It's not in their archives online. You don't find that strange? Maybe someone can find an actual hard copy of the paper from those 2 days. And no news articles anywhere. Again, strange.

The relationship between the University and Mrs. Moore had soured and I'm not sure they had access to the info.

So we find a hard copy - an actual newspaper.

But what do we do then?? We can't take an image of the paper, because then YOU would simply say we photoshopped the image. So we personally deliver it to your residence so you can view the paper with your own eyes?

But that won't work, because YOU would just claim covid social distancing concerns or call the cops on us or sue Gamecock Central over privacy violations.

So then we must somehow telepathically insert the paper article into your mind, so you can "see" it psychologically without actual human contact. But that won't work either, because if we could even manage that, YOU would just say we fabricated false reality telepathically into your consciousness, making you think it was real.

I must say, you sure got that tinfoil helmet strapped down tight these days......

That's ridiculous. If its in the hard copy of the paper, the discussion is over. Someone dropped the ball at the school.

But it's not in their online archives under obituaries for those dates listed on that Legacy webpage. No news story. Nobody here knew anything about it.

Considering the sour relationship, how would our leadership know? I find it hard to believe they would snub her on purpose, knowing it would come out and then immediately issue the statement. That doesn't make sense.

Show it to me under either of those dates under obituaries. I didn't see it.

https://www.postandcourier.com/archive-search/

Maybe there is a perfectly legit explanation. Either way, I would like to know how this happened.
Googled Post and Courier Obituaries -
Opened P&C Obits Page
Clicked on Obituaries drop down - chose Chalreston
In search window typed Moore - scrolled down and what do you know...there it is.

Please just stop acting like it can't be found, or wasn't in the paper. It was. There are multiple ways to search. Just because yours didn't work doesn't mean it wasn't there.

AND...when you simply choose the 'more notices" on the main page, type Lorraine Moore in the search, what comes up as the second link on the page - her obit.

Googled Post and Courier Obituaries -
Opened P&C Obits Page
Clicked on Obituaries drop down - chose Chalreston
In search window typed Moore - scrolled down and what do you know...there it is.

Please just stop acting like it can't be found, or wasn't in the paper. It was. There are multiple ways to search. Just because yours didn't work doesn't mean it wasn't there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT