ADVERTISEMENT

Darrin Horn short one bucket …

Neanderthal

Aug 15, 2001
… from going to the tournament. He’s still around. They blew a big lead. His team played well, was organized, played hard.

I think when he came here it was just too big for him to handle. He got swamped by all the pomp and circumstance of a major program. This was a distraction to his “on the court” work. But he can coach when he is in the right place.

So, every time we hire a coach from a “little” program, or smaller conference program, it remains to be seen if they can handle the added load - like a good colonel who cannot handle being a general. Same applies to hiring one who has never been the head man. It is a difficult assignment to choose the right coach. Not taking up for anybody. Just saying.

On the other hand, we have coaches that were successful in a big program, but can’t make a big mark when hired at a smaller program. That’s a difficult job for anybody. Some just want to stick around the profession, I guess. Thinking of Cliff Ellis, Rollie Massamino, Bobby Cremins, Lefty Driesell, Steve Fisher, Jeff Jones, Gene Bartow and others. Same happens in football and other sports.

Anyway, Darrin Horn is still out there coaching. Give him credit for that.

… from going to the tournament. He’s still around. They blew a big lead. His team played well, was organized, played hard.

I think when he came here it was just too big for him to handle. He got swamped by all the pomp and circumstance of a major program. This was a distraction to his “on the court” work. But he can coach when he is in the right place.

So, every time we hire a coach from a “little” program, or smaller conference program, it remains to be seen if they can handle the added load - like a good colonel who cannot handle being a general. Same applies to hiring one who has never been the head man. It is a difficult assignment to choose the right coach. Not taking up for anybody. Just saying.

On the other hand, we have coaches that were successful in a big program, but can’t make a big mark when hired at a smaller program. That’s a difficult job for anybody. Some just want to stick around the profession, I guess. Thinking of Cliff Ellis, Rollie Massamino, Bobby Cremins, Lefty Driesell, Steve Fisher, Jeff Jones, Gene Bartow and others. Same happens in football and other sports.

Anyway, Darrin Horn is still out there coaching. Give him credit for that.
Well the difference is Horn was an arrogant peckerhead that if it were not for Downey he would have been exposed as a fraud from day one.

I had a former player that wanted to walk on at Carolina and he wouldn’t give him the time of day. This was an all state player and mind you Horn didn’t have an abundance of talent especially at the end. Then he encouraged other players to leave and tried to sabotage the program on the way out. I enjoyed watching him choke that one away.

Sent another former player to Carolina as a walk on under Martin. The player was not a star, but he eventually gained a scholarship and started some games here.

I realize some here may not like Martins on court antics, but he’s willing to look at any player that could help his program…likely because he was a walk on. Horn thought his $hit didn’t stink and come to find out short of Steve Newton it stunk about as bad as anyone we ever hired.

Not debating that. Just saying Horn moved up to a program beyond his capabilities. And the people that do the hiring have to somehow sift through what they have on coaches and decide who could get the job done. It ain’t easy unless you have a “can’t miss.” Obviously, they blew it with Horn and Newton. They have to be ready when the opening comes to make a good decision and I hope they have a “can’t miss” ready, but I doubt it.

Horn was a dick at his first press conference for USC I was so disappointed after that and wasn't worried when he got the axe. I wish him, like Clemson (who lost on that last second shot tonight) nothing but misery.

Not debating that. Just saying Horn moved up to a program beyond his capabilities. And the people that do the hiring have to somehow sift through what they have on coaches and decide who could get the job done. It ain’t easy unless you have a “can’t miss.” Obviously, they blew it with Horn and Newton. They have to be ready when the opening comes to make a good decision and I hope they have a “can’t miss” ready, but I doubt it.
Yeah I’m not trying to argue with you. Certainly have enough of that with the morons on the political thread.

You’re right Horn was in over his head and I don’t even fault him for that. I just think it’s hard for many on this board to find an ounce of care for him.

I could pull for Sparky Woods after his Gamecock days. While he was in over his head, he was genuinely a good person.

You’re right when that time comes they’ll need to find a solid coach. Horn was a product of hiring on the cheap and literally from the flavor of the week. They caught one weekend of fire in the ncaa tournament and made the sweet 16. That was his only tournament appearance at the time of his hiring.

Horn's offensive gameplan was run down the court as fast as possible and jack up a contested 3.

I remember him spending time at Texas under Shocka Smart who also couldnt hack it at a big boy school after mid major success. He's pretty young, not surprising that he got another shot at HC somewhere.

Horn was a joke. And then doubled down on it by being one of the bigger jerks to ever be in Columbia. Glad he is gone. Could care less about his coaching career these days
This!! And at the time there were so many better hires to be had. Horn went to one tournament in 5 years at Western and beat Drake on a half court shot.
Hyman had no idea what he was doing and we're still paying the price for it in basketball with two hires that yielded one tourament in 15 YEARS!!

We couldn't do worse than that if we tried

This!! And at the time there were so many better hires to be had. Horn went to one tournament in 5 years at Western and beat Drake on a half court shot.
Hyman had no idea what he was doing and we're still paying the price for it in basketball with two hires that yielded one tourament in 15 YEARS!!

We couldn't do worse than that if we tried
The only reason we had one decent season under this ding bat was because of Devan Downey. Horn might have been the worst hire in college basketball history. Period.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT