ADVERTISEMENT

Daughter wants to drop out of USC after junior year.

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
Her first year her scholarships and her mom and I paid for her tuition. The last two years have been on her. This has come as a shock to me. I’m thinking of how and what I should/shouldn’t say. I feel like, with one year left, even a degree she maybe doesn’t plan to use (psychology)will be worth more than two years of student loans with nothing to show.
She wants to get into real estate by the way. And I do think she has a personality that would do well in that. But it takes more than that to excel.
Any advice?

Reactions: Preacher B
Her first year her scholarships and her mom and I paid for her tuition. The last two years have been on her. This has come as a shock to me. I’m thinking of how and what I should/shouldn’t say. I feel like, with one year left, even a degree she maybe doesn’t plan to use (psychology)will be worth more than two years of student loans with nothing to show.
She wants to get into real estate by the way. And I do think she has a personality that would do well in that. But it takes more than that to excel.
Any advice?
I honestly believe that, if she has a definite professional track in mind - and a realistic way of getting on it - you have to let her go her way. Maybe the value of a degree will become more apparent to her later, or maybe she will become affluent in the real estate business. Both things could happen. The online suggestion above is worth floating if you haven't already. God bless all concerned.

Any advice?
Tell her that there are more real estate agents today than properties for sale.

GenMe kids can be a real challenge these days.

Good luck!

A psychology degree could actually help her in real estate! Not just real estate, but marketing, sales and even advertising. She really needs to see the whole picture if she can take a sec and do so and I think she just might change her mind and want to finish. Has she given any reasons why the sudden change of heart and needing to get into real estate now?

A psychology degree could actually help her in real estate! Not just real estate, but marketing, sales and even advertising. She really needs to see the whole picture if she can take a sec and do so and I think she just might change her mind and want to finish. Has she given any reasons why the sudden change of heart and needing to get into real estate now?
I have a nephew - a brilliant nephew - who parlayed three psychology degrees, the two advanced degrees from Harvard - into a professorship in the business school at Texas-Austin. But he was intellectually exceptional and ambitious enough that he was bound to excel someplace.

Any advice?
My advice is to tread lightly when talking to her. I’m of the opinion that you should finish what you start, but if her interest is in a different field, her focus definitely won’t be on her psychology studies. My sister started at Carolina in psychology. After her first semester, she changed to music. Graduated with the music degree and moved to New York and got her masters. Two years later, she was working for an insurance company and a radio station. She then came back home and took a job with Fluor Daniel. Left there, and went to MUSC to get a degree in physical therapy. She now works in physical therapy at a hospital in Spartanburg. Sometimes, people take the very long route to find the career that makes them happy. I wish your daughter the very best.

Any advice?

Quitting when one is 3/4ths across the river is not a good thing, imo. I worked for a Fortune 250 Co. for 40 years. There were people that worked for the company that had degrees in many different disciplines. A door may open for her in a few years that she may not have known even existed.

I have a nephew - a brilliant nephew - who parlayed three psychology degrees, the two advanced degrees from Harvard - into a professorship in the business school at Texas-Austin. But he was intellectually exceptional and ambitious enough that he was bound to excel someplace.

Two Harvard advanced degrees and academic employment at Texas-Austin. I agree. You've got a very smart nephew!

My advice is to tread lightly when talking to her. I’m of the opinion that you should finish what you start, but if her interest is in a different field, her focus definitely won’t be on her psychology studies. My sister started at Carolina in psychology. After her first semester, she changed to music. Graduated with the music degree and moved to New York and got her masters. Two years later, she was working for an insurance company and a radio station. She then came back home and took a job with Fluor Daniel. Left there, and went to MUSC to get a degree in physical therapy. She now works in physical therapy at a hospital in Spartanburg. Sometimes, people take the very long route to find the career that makes them happy. I wish your daughter the very best.
Dang, with all that schooling, she could have been a brain surgeon. 😁 Seriously, though, I know a young woman who obtained an education degree, worked as a schoolteacher, went back to school and became a registered nurse, and wound up as an elementary school nurse. I know another lady who was a process engineer in the paper mill in which I worked, decided on a career change and went to nursing school. She is now a surgical RN at a Columbia-area hospital. I respect and admire them both.

Dang, with all that schooling, she could have been a brain surgeon. 😁 Seriously, though, I know a young woman who obtained an education degree, worked as a schoolteacher, went back to school and became a registered nurse, and would up as an elementary school nurse. I know another lady who was a process engineer in the paper mill in which I worked, decided on a career change and is now a surgical RN at a Columbia-area hospital. I respect and admire them both.
Yes sir, she could have been a brain surgeon 😂. There is definitely something to be said for a person that has the ability and the opportunity to figure out what their destined lot is in regards to their career. My sister’s changes nearly drove my Mama crazy . I was able to take advantage of her time in New York. I visited her in 2008, and we went to a Yankees game. It was the last season in what I deem as The Yankee Stadium . We had a great time, as she knew all the nuances of getting around the city and seeing all the sites.

Reactions: king ward
In SC, real estate does not require a degree & hasn’t for a while.
SC LLR has that a four year degree is not required BUT:

"If you have a law degree or a four year baccalaureate degree from a higher education institution with a major in real estate, you do not have to take pre-licensing courses for any license type, or meet the experience requirements for Broker qualification."

Any advice?
Tough degree to have without plans for graduate school, but honestly just having a degree is an asset. What type of can she get with that degree when she gets it? If real estate is what she wants to do, then she would be a year ahead in that career field than just another year of loans, interest and school.

Help her understand forward looking net present value. Before her freshman year, a degree was going to cost her $X.XX, now, it will cost her $X.XX/4. Money spent or borrowed is sunk cash. Good luck.

That’s a tough one . I have a business degree that I worked my ass off for that I really have not used in 20 years . Did the suit and tie corporate BS for a few years after school and hated it . Quit and followed my dreams doing what I love and have never regretted for a second . My best advice to young adults is find out what you love to do the most and find a way to monetize it . Never let anyone tell you what you can and can’t do . If she wants to get into to real estate because she loves it then let her go . If she wants to do it because she heard it a great way to make money then don’t . There’s a lot of half ass real estate folks around here and most of them could make just as much working at target . Tell her to find her passion and pursue it .

If she is a junior, what is she doing this summer? Can she intern with a real estate firm? Shadow an agent? If she just thinks it would be fun showing houses and collecting commission checks, she knows nothing about how real estate really works. But a psychology degree would be great for real estate. Selling real estate is all psychology. Not having a degree is one thing. Having to constantly explain why you "quit" is another.

Any advice?

I know many successful sales folks that majored in psychology. Real Estate agents are more psychologists then sales people anyway. Finish the degree, then become the agent...until the bubble pops of course. History doesn’t repeat but it often rhymes so they say.

Any advice?

Man this is a tough one and it would be really hard on me if it were my daughters.

I agree with the posters that mention treading lightly and following her passion. Some of our most successful Gamecocks attended USC but did not finish. I’m thinking athletes and musicians for the most part.

While I do think people should follow their passion, it needs to be one they are good at. I love music but I suck at singing and playing instruments. While I love rocking out in the shower and car, I lack the talent for realistically making it a career.

If she is not motivated, going back to school could just lead to more debt and failing grades. However, she also needs to be aware that some of these credits may have to be made up if she decided to go back to school a few years later.

If I am you I would ask a lot of questions and do a lot of listening. Is she burned out? Is there a relationship issue? Could there be depression or anxiety? Some people get nervous about finishing school. If you think about it, every year of her life has been pretty predictable as far as schooling goes and that is clearly coming to an end at some point soon regardless.

I would try to just find out what she really wants to do with her life. Find out why she wants to do that and if more school would benefit or not. If she sees value in finishing school, it’ll likely get done. If not, there may be no purpose in it.

Has she ever talked to an actual realtor about what the job entails or did she just make this decision based on the glut of “reality” shows?

At the end of January 2021, there were 1.04 million homes on the market in the U.S (down 26% from 2019's inventory), the fewest homes on the market in nearly 40 years.

Meanwhile, the National Association of Realtors (NAR) has 1.45 million members, 4.8% more than the year prior.

To put it in perspective, that's nearly 40% more agents hunting for deals than there are houses on the market.

Any advice?
You probably won’t like my advice, but let her do what she wants to do. If she’s 18 or older then she controls her own life. College these days is not much fun. Many students are bailing out with thoughts of going back later when things are better. There are also some great paying jobs out there for people without a degree. She’ll be fine no matter what she decides to do.

My daughter graduates next Saturday, with a major in Accounting, and a minor in Data Science. I’m extremely proud of her! She has worked extremely hard, and has been an intern and worked part time at an accounting firm.
She has her Masters program planned, and she starts it in August. Again, I wish nothing but the best for you and your daughter.

Any advice?
Encourage your daughter to meet with a USC career coach and with someone in the financial aid office before she stops out or drops out. Is she concerned about mounting debt? If so, a lot of aid has been made available due to the pandemic. There may be funds (e.g., grants, scholarships) available at USC.

Before choosing a new career path, many students benefit from informational interviews and job shadowing. The summer is great time to meet with professionals in the field. She may want to speak to someone in the business school's real estate program, too.

Reactions: Rychek4
Any advice?
No degree, you are going to be making coffee at starbucks or serving beers for a while. A degree lets you start in the middle (of what's reasonable for someone new to the workplace), like a mortgage processor at a bank. Get a masters or professional degree and you can start at the top. Working for an economics group or a law firm.

It could be the difference in 30k, 50k or 70k to start, but it's going to mean millions by retirement. (obviously some people can earn millions without any degree, but these people are few and far between, and mostly wired differently)

She may already realize what I didn’t discover until after college. That is unless you attend graduate school, a degree in psychology isn’t worth a damn. It did get me in the door for potential employment that I wouldn’t have gotten into if I had no degree. However to have ambitions in this major can be disheartening when one realizes an undergraduate degree isn’t enough. If she’s open to post graduate studies in counseling, she might become a school guidance counselor. The pay is pretty good. She gets to use her undergraduate education. And a 12 month per year job becomes 9 or 10 months.

Reactions: Zann77
If she wants to go in a different direction let her. She can always go back and finish if it doesn’t pan out.

My son wanted to leave school after his sophomore year so his band could chase their dream of "making it" in the music business. I gave him my blessing because I didn't want him to always wonder what if. He promised me he'd go back to school and get his degree if the music thing didn't work out, which he did.

Any advice?
Stick it out and finish her education. You can assure her if real estate is such a good gig it will be there in a year.

Reactions: Zann77
I know at least 5 people that do real estate part time - and actually do just fine. If she's so passionate about real estate now, she can start getting her feet wet in the industry while finishing up school. All she needs is a client - buyer or seller and she is on her way. If she doesn't think she's ready to do it all herself and needs to learn in a real estate office - then she can work in one all next year while she finishes up school. Either way, going cold turkey on school this close to the finish line seems short-sighted when there are so many options out there.

If she's already paying the entire bill, what really can you do? You can give advice, but you can't make her accept it. She could probably finish online a lot cheaper.

Unlike 20 to 30 years ago a a bachelor's degree doesn't guarantee you a well paying job like it used to, especially if it's not in one the STEM fields.

A Psychology degree is one of those
majors that usually doesn't mean much financially unless you get a graduate degree and preferably work in the field. The only real benefit I see with her finishing this degree is that she gets to pull herself away from the other candidates when employers are narrowing down their search for the initial interviews.

If I was you I would have a real heart to heart with her about all her options. Perhaps as suggested she could do an internship, join /learn from groups such as Bigger Pockets or maybe she could do school part time and focus more on the real estate or another career full time in which she gets to keep all her options open.

Whatever she decides, I hope it works out well for daughter and your family.

Continue education and work PT as RE office admin or attend RE classes along with degree classes.

With a psychology degree she can probably get a job with DSS as a children's case manager. They usually always have vacancies. While working on her degree she can find a part time job working in a children's group home or residential program which will be excellent experience for the DSS position.

Last edited:
Any advice?
sometimes, the only thing you can do is to let them find their way and make mistakes along that way. I would hope that after a short time she would see the waste of money that trails behind her and make amends one way or the other. But when it comes down to it, she will ultimately have to make those decisions. Now you might suggest she pay back some of what you all have shelled out. That was kept me in school 50 years ago. Thoughts and prayers are with your situation.

Reactions: Silver_Coconut
ADVERTISEMENT