ADVERTISEMENT

Dave Odoms son...

Yep...

Ryan Odom hired at UMBC, should that raise red flags?

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2016/3/31/11336532/ryan-odom-hired-at-umbc

And here's a lil' more...

Who’s the coach?
UMBC is led by Ryan Odom, son of Dave Odom, who was the head coach at Wake Forest, South Carolina and East Carolina. Dave Odom was also an assistant at Virginia during the ’80s and Ryan worked as a ball boy.

From here: https://www.yahoo.com/news/everything-need-know-university-maryland-baltimore-county-041159160.html

Reactions: Brace1
Dave Odom rarely got off the bench. I gave him the nick name of Blue Moon because that's how often he got to the dance. He was here to get some money for his war chest.
Love to bash Odom almost as much as Ward. With all the MBB coaches that USC could have hired why settle for a has been like the WF coach. I realize the MBB coach position at USC is not like Duke but there had to be someone better than Odom. USC fans had to get out torches and pitchforks to get AD's attention and get rid of Odom.
Hope USC is over the phase of hiring coaches that are spent but just want to pad their retirement income. Odom was about as exciting as watching paint dry and I was against the hire from the start. It was an Oh NO moment for me when he was hired and an Oh YES moment for WF.

Reactions: cocky4
Love to bash Odom almost as much as Ward. With all the MBB coaches that USC could have hired why settle for a has been like the WF coach. I realize the MBB coach position at USC is not like Duke but there had to be someone better than Odom. USC fans had to get out torches and pitchforks to get AD's attention and get rid of Odom.
Hope USC is over the phase of hiring coaches that are spent but just want to pad their retirement income. Odom was about as exciting as watching paint dry and I was against the hire from the start. It was an Oh NO moment for me when he was hired and an Oh YES moment for WF.
MBB HC position at USC could have been like Dook's had we stayed in the ACC.

MBB HC position at USC could have been like Dook's had we stayed in the ACC.
Yeah, big mistake. Dietzel was gonna make us Ala East. That turned out well. USC was reduced to groveling before the ACC in an attempt to get back in but if we had stayed in the ACC we would never have gotten an invite to the SEC so.............
Don't hate SEC teams as much or at all compared to the hatred I had for ACC teams and still have to some extent. That hatred made for some exciting games and gloattitude when we beat them.

Yeah, big mistake. Dietzel was gonna make us Ala East. That turned out well. USC was reduced to groveling before the ACC in an attempt to get back in but if we had stayed in the ACC we would never have gotten an invite to the SEC so.............
Don't hate SEC teams as much or at all compared to the hatred I had for ACC teams and still have to some extent. That hatred made for some exciting games and gloattitude when we beat them.
Agree with your response except for the not getting an SEC invite.

Agree with your response except for the not getting an SEC invite.
I read one time that the SEC wouldn't invite a team that was a member of a conference back then. They might have invited Clemson instead of us if Clemson had left the ACC with us.

I read one time that the SEC wouldn't invite a team that was a member of a conference back then. They might have invited Clemson instead of us if Clemson had left the ACC with us.

I think you meant that the SEC wouldn't invite a school, not a team.

Actually, both USC and Arky were members on conferences when the SEC came calling - the Metro, and the Southwest.

Exactly who did you want USC to hire when they hired Odom? At least he had a name and a bit of a track record through the Tim Duncan era. And if I remember correctly, and I do, they tried to lure just about anyone with any level of success, and that included all of the "hot" young coaches of the day. Unfortunately, nobody seemed to be interested. So do you take a chance and hire a total unknown, or go with a Dave Odom. At that point in time, he appeared to be the best option. But seeing the past as we are, is much easier than seeing the future as they had to do on that hire.

Reactions: GandBinNC
There anyone on here that says we should've held on to him? Apparently, we should have had the foresight to keep Dan Radakovich as associate AD forever, as well as Monte Lee as an assistant coach.

I think you meant that the SEC wouldn't invite a school, not a team.

Actually, both USC and Arky were members on conferences when the SEC came calling - the Metro, and the Southwest.
You'll forgive me if I never took a conference seriously that didn't compete in all the major sports, especially the one that moves the needle more than any other..

I think our guys decided they wanted a free trip to NY rather than play a few rounds in Peoria. Personally I wish we would turn down NIT bids..never celebrated them at all or saw them as achievements.
Tell that to they guys who actually played on those teams and celebrated their participation in them.

Exactly who did you want USC to hire when they hired Odom? At least he had a name and a bit of a track record through the Tim Duncan era. And if I remember correctly, and I do, they tried to lure just about anyone with any level of success, and that included all of the "hot" young coaches of the day. Unfortunately, nobody seemed to be interested. So do you take a chance and hire a total unknown, or go with a Dave Odom. At that point in time, he appeared to be the best option. But seeing the past as we are, is much easier than seeing the future as they had to do on that hire.

Agree with this. In the post-McGuire era, no coach has surpassed Coach Odom in terms of number of teams taken to post-season play, success in post-season tournaments and number of 20+ win seasons. Coach Fogler's last three seasons were at or below .500, so Odom didn't walk into an ideal situation. He never caught lightning in a bottle again with a Tim Duncan-type player like he did at Wake, but he had some solid teams.

The biggest knock on Coach Odom was his lack of success in the SEC - he never had a winning conference ledger, and only one .500 season in conference (2003-04).

Many fans scoff at his success in the NIT, which is a mystery to me, considering that Carolina has rarely seen the post-season since the early 1970s. Odom took three squads to the NIT, went to the championship game in all three tournaments, and won two of them, compiling a 14-1 record in that tournament and two championships.

He also went to great lengths to re-establish ties to McGuire-era players, which was something that could not be said of his predecessors (other than Felton).

Coach Odom's successes, though they were not on the biggest stage, were a bright spot for a program in the middle of a decades-long struggle with doubt, failure, scandal, mediocrity and loss of identity.

I would hope we've learned our lesson regarding hiring someone who went on a hot streak in the tournament with Horn.
That's what I was thinking. I wish Odom well and I suspect he'll get some looks after this tournament run, but that doesn't make it good policy to hire a coach based on two wins, no matter how miraculous they may have been.

You'll forgive me if I never took a conference seriously that didn't compete in all the major sports, especially the one that moves the needle more than any other..
For others on this board, back when the Metro was founded, almost all members sponsored football, but the league purposely did not sponsor football.

Schools wanted to keep all their football revenues, but realized the advantages of conference play for all other sports.

On a side note, I think it speaks poorly of the ACC to allow ND to retain football independence. The compromise of scheduling 5 or so ACC members on the gridiron is interesting, but doesn't resonate with me.

In addition to organizing the 100th anniversary program of MBB, I'll also give coach Odom credit for scheduling a Tobacco Road team to play a regularly scheduled game in Columbia - NC State.

In this case, it looks like it worked (UMBC just beat Virginia in the biggest upset in the history of sports in the United States).
Damn. Another former USC coach that brings out all the haters again
is UMBC coach. He'll definitely be moving on up soon!
Please don't bring that name to the board. It brings out all the haters who still have to get it their same old licks after all these years. Some can never let it go. Sad.

Read that in The Lancaster News, Jerry?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT